PDA

View Full Version : Returning Boulder +1

J-H
2021-06-14, 08:14 AM
Last session, my players started talking about dropping big rocks on the enemies, and ended up running into a giant city that I had (long ago) statted out as including someone who enchanted Returning Boulders +1 for giants to throw.

Giant-thrown boulders do 4d10 damage on hit. Short range is only 60' for giants throwing rocks, which is really only about four times their height. I'm assuming that the boulders are thus around the size of a basketball relative to the giants, since they're thrown in the same way. That means a giantish throwing boulder should be around 3x the size of a basketball (medium/large/huge).... or about 30" across. That comes out to ~8 cu ft. I found some really wide number variations online, but it looks like about 1.2 tons per cu yd (27 cu ft) is safe, or 2000# per 22.5 cu ft. That means my returning Giant Boulder is about 700#.

So yay, it's too big for even the high-STR barbarian to really throw. Also, it's really heavy.

Here's what I've drafted.

-If you drop it from 200' or more, it does 20d6 bludgeoning damage on hit
-Dropping it requires a full action since it's probably being deployed from a Bag of Holding
-You are attacking a square with a non-proficient Str-based attack roll. The square's AC is 5 + 1 per 40' (so dropping from 400 is an attack roll vs AC 15, with a likely max to-hit of +5 - this discourages bombing from 10,000#).
-Anyone in the square may make a Dexterity save to avoid the rock. The DC is 15 (middling; anyone who sees it coming from far off can simply get out of the way).
-On a miss, roll 1d8 for direction and 1d6 for the number of squares off; for drops made over 1,000', it becomes 1d12 squares off.
-Fall speed is 500' per round per XGTE.

Does anyone see any problems or anything excessively exploitable in this? Is this too harsh or about right?

quindraco
2021-06-14, 08:39 AM
First thing that leaps out at me at a glance is that a Bag of Holding can't hold a 700 pound object, and the second thing that leaps out at me is that a bag of holding has a fixed aperture size the boulder might not fit through.

J-H
2021-06-14, 10:39 AM
Uh-oh, I may have to lower the weight then.
The party already bought one :-P

I bet the party artificer is going to start work on a "Bigger Bag of Holding" if this becomes an issue.