PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Bladesinger 6TH Level advice

Nosta
2021-06-14, 11:30 AM
I am trying to Boost my AC as High as I can

I know I'll start out my Build with 15
INT and Boost it to 20 as fast as I can

GM is giving us +2 to any Stat. Allowing us to get that stat to 20 Faster.

What is the highest my AC can be with out spells. Just my Dex Armor Bladesong and any feat that might work for me

Eldariel
2021-06-14, 11:38 AM
I am trying to Boost my AC as High as I can

I know I'll start out my Build with 15
INT and Boost it to 20 as fast as I can

GM is giving us +2 to any Stat. Allowing us to get that stat to 20 Faster.

What is the highest my AC can be with out spells. Just my Dex Armor Bladesong and any feat that might work for me

Well, Mage Armor + 20 Dex is 18 AC. Add 20 Int for 23 AC. Haste for 25. Shield for 30. Without magic items, that's gonna be your personal max for a good while in spite of feat options since stat booster ASIs give as much AC as feats (feats you can use to increase AC further include Fighting Initiate and Dual Wielder). Only 9th level spells (Shapechange) change that (unless you have 18+ Wis and Magic Jar into Githzerai Wis-to-AC, or manage to catch a Nagpa). It's generally better to max Int first since it also helps with Concentration and casting, and Magic Jar can eventually replace your Dex but not your Int.

Nosta
2021-06-14, 12:11 PM
Well, Mage Armor + 20 Dex is 18 AC. Add 20 Int for 23 AC. Haste for 25. Shield for 30. Without magic items, that's gonna be your personal max for a good while in spite of feat options since stat booster ASIs give as much AC as feats (feats you can use to increase AC further include Fighting Initiate and Dual Wielder). Only 9th level spells (Shapechange) change that (unless you have 18+ Wis and Magic Jar into Githzerai Wis-to-AC, or manage to catch a Nagpa). It's generally better to max Int first since it also helps with Concentration and casting, and Magic Jar can eventually replace your Dex but not your Int.

At level 6 what should my stats look like?

Eldariel
2021-06-14, 12:19 PM
At level 6 what should my stats look like?

Well, that depends on your stat generation rules. If you're specifically after melee and AC, maximise your Int, Dex and Con in that order. If you're using point buy for example, you could just put 15 in all of them. Gnomes get +2 Int, +1 Dex/Con (or +2/+1 anything if going with Tasha's), which is just as well: 17 Int (19 with your +2 bonus) and 16 Dex is great. You could even afford a lower Int and boosting e.g. Wis for saves. The difference between 17 and 16 Int is the difference between a half-feat (Telekinetic is a decent one and Fey-Touched/Shadow-Touched aren't entirely terrible) and full +2 Int.

Either way, you could put +1 Int/+1 Con if you don't plan on taking Resilient: Constitution (though I generally think you should get Res: Con on most casters but purely to maximise AC and HP, +1/+1 is better). This would put you at 16 Dex/15-16 Con/20 Int on level 6, which is decent enough (though of course, your Dex being somewhat lower means your attacks aren't that scary).