PDA

View Full Version : Orange-voice: a minimitd?

Riftwolf
2021-06-14, 02:25 PM
Just a random thought, but what if we ran a 'what monster is Orange-voice?' thread in the same vein as the MitD thread?
(caveat: I'm aware there will be tons of baseless speculation and wild flailing)
In his first unappearance, Orange was subservient to Green but in a friendly manner. I also feel like the way the paladins and their weapons were carried was a hint to it having multiple arms.
The latest comic, if it turns out to be Orange-voice behind it, shows it has a way of moving attended objects by magic (telekinesis, mages hand, animate objects) and a charm spell/SLA, probably suggestion.
Any candidates? (I'm aware this might be short lived as Orange-voice will probably be unveiled on the next few strips) my first thought was a Ravid, but I was misremembering virtually everything about Ravids when I thought that.

Peelee
2021-06-14, 02:30 PM
An awakened mithryl coat rack.

Dion
2021-06-14, 03:13 PM
An awakened mithryl coat rack.

Possibly even a teapot.

Perhaps a normal everyday person, turned into an animated teapot, like in a horror movie.

Squire Doodad
2021-06-15, 12:10 AM
For a second I thought this read "Orange-voice: a mimir?"

Heavenblade
2021-06-15, 02:46 AM
Could be fun to speculate while it lasts!

Two notes
1. The charm ability is non verbal, so I guess its an SLA, not a spell - otherwise the others could hear the creature
2. The second point is that it doesnt have to use telekinesis in order to take the lute - good old fashioned hands would do. It has already been established that orange voice is capable of turning invisible (and also lifting paladins in the air), so it could just sneak behind the group, grab Elan's lute and run
3. Also, I would speculate orange voice has some sort of familiarity with the order, but not a close/recent one - it knows enough to understand that it is feasible that Elan would chase his lute into the dungeon, but not enough to know that this is not the case anymore, and that Elan matured at least a little bit.

Fyraltari
2021-06-15, 03:00 AM
Problem is, because of the invisibility, we've got literally nothing concrete to go on. The magic? Could be wands or other artifacts. The seeming multiple limbs? Could be several individuals. We don't even know it's not Serini herself acting in the latest strip.

2. The second point is that it doesnt have to use telekinesis in order to take the lute - good old fashioned hands would do. It has already been established that orange voice is capable of turning invisible (and also lifting paladins in the air), so it could just sneak behind the group, grab Elan's lute and run.

Lutey is glowing in the second panel.

hroţila
2021-06-15, 03:12 AM
For a second I thought this read "Orange-voice: a mimir?"
Two mimir
https://cdn2.actitudfem.com/media/files/styles/big_img/public/images/2020/06/two-mimir-significado-que-es-y-de-donde-surgio1.jpg

Precure
2021-06-15, 08:00 AM
I say human.

arimareiji
2021-06-15, 03:54 PM
I've made the guess elsewhere (though I'm not the first), but just for the record: Brass or copper dragon, with brass looking more likely.

Dragon in general: Matches up with easily carrying Lien and O-Chul and their gear, with them being dangled at a distance apart that suggests a large creature. Plus the ability to carry Serini as she darts them, then fly them off of their perch without leaving tracks.

Brass dragons love to talk, which would make one a good companion for someone the Scribblers implied was a chatterbox. Plus they have suggestion once/day, and a sleep-gas breath weapon that would be perfect for helping Serini subdue the Order without harming them. And although it's not necessary, a great wyrm could have summoned a djinn to help carry O-Chul and Lien. Con: They prefer warm deserts, although they do have endure elements.

Copper dragons love wit and humor, which still seems to be in keeping with Serini's temperament despite what happened to her. Plus, getting Elan to chase Lutey almost feels like a prank. Con: They prefer warm hills.

pearl jam
2021-06-15, 09:57 PM
Seems plausible. The con also mostly seems to apply to if you imagine that she befriended it here in the north, though I guess even that could be answered by it perhaps having been part of the defense of the gate. But if she befriended it elsewhere it could easily have then travelled with her to a place it might not typically have chosen for its abode.

Peelee
2021-06-15, 10:19 PM
You know what? I like a good longshot.

Kraagor.

Fyraltari
2021-06-16, 02:22 AM
You know what? I like a good longshot.

Kraagor.

Why would he call Serini "Boss", though? And how did he get coloured speech balloons?

Squire Doodad
2021-06-16, 02:49 AM
Why would he call Serini "Boss", though? And how did he get coloured speech balloons?

Both major issues; plus if he actually came back from the rift and is changed because of that, it'd probably be a deep purple or something. Not to mention Kraagor's speaking style in the crayon comics has barbarian text, and the orange fits other things more.
It's not, like, impossible? But the "Brass Half-Dragon" class of theories have more meat on them.

Peelee
2021-06-16, 06:48 AM

Oh, there's zero backing for this.

Metastachydium
2021-06-16, 08:20 AM
But the "Brass Half-Dragon" class of theories have more meat on them.

Copper or bronze isn't impossible either, but otherwise HELL YES.

Precure
2021-06-16, 01:27 PM
Why would he call Serini "Boss", though?

Tables have turned, he's working for her now.

And how did he get coloured speech balloons?

Same way Serini got hers.

arimareiji
2021-06-16, 01:40 PM
Both major issues; plus if he actually came back from the rift and is changed because of that, it'd probably be a deep purple or something. Not to mention Kraagor's speaking style in the crayon comics has barbarian text, and the orange fits other things more.
It's not, like, impossible? But the "Brass Half-Dragon" class of theories have more meat on them.

I hadn't considered the possibility of half-dragon rather than dragon, but it's interesting... what advantages would there be for it?

Metastachydium
2021-06-16, 01:54 PM
I hadn't considered the possibility of half-dragon rather than dragon, but it's interesting... what advantages would there be for it?

Claws that it can definitely grab stuff with; doesn't have to get uncomfortably large to be sufficiently powerful; makes slapping character levels on easier, that kind of stuff. I wouldn't readily exclude full dragon either, nevertheless.

Fyraltari
2021-06-16, 02:19 PM
I don't think an adult full dragon would fit in the tunnel Elan is running into.

Riftwolf
2021-06-16, 04:04 PM
I don't think an adult full dragon would fit in the tunnel Elan is running into.

I thought all metallic dragons had alter self as an SLA?
Edit: only gold and silver dragons have a supernatural alternate form. I'm getting mixed up with a homebrew campaign I ran where *all* dragons had that ability as it didn't make sense to me why only the two Lawful Good Dragons would have such an ability.
So... Half Brass Dragon Gold Dragon?

Peelee
2021-06-16, 04:27 PM
I thought all metallic dragons had alter self as an SLA?
Edit: only gold and silver dragons have a supernatural alternate form. I'm getting mixed up with a homebrew campaign I ran where *all* dragons had that ability as it didn't make sense to me why only the two Lawful Good Dragons would have such an ability.
So... Half Brass Dragon Gold Dragon?

Why yes, Silver Dragons are the best!

Also, gonna say again I totally don't believe it's gonna be a dragon.

Good Coyote
2021-06-16, 06:52 PM
A mimic. It's not picking them up with multiple limbs, it's just sticking them to different parts of its body.

(Joking, I misread the title at first.)

Riftwolf
2021-06-16, 08:15 PM
A mimic. It's not picking them up with multiple limbs, it's just sticking them to different parts of its body.

(Joking, I misread the title at first.)

A minimimic? I always preferred the idea of a megamimic; at Huge size, that makes a mimic the size of a reasonably sized shed, or a bathroom to a council house, or a confessional.

Metastachydium
2021-06-17, 01:19 PM
Also, gonna say again I totally don't believe it's gonna be a dragon.

And why is that, o mighty dragon?

A minimimic? I always preferred the idea of a megamimic; at Huge size, that makes a mimic the size of a reasonably sized shed, or a bathroom to a council house, or a confessional.

Well, that sounds awfully convenient.

Peelee
2021-06-17, 02:00 PM
And why is that, o mighty dragon?

Dragons, even good ones, are fairly haughty and typically consider themselves the apex species. Coupled with the standard fabulous wealth of a dragon makes it unlikely (though I'll admit not impossible) for one to be subservient to a mere halfling rogue, epic though she may be. Also, I don't really see much utility in having a dragon here; either it would be against the order, in which case we've already had three; with the order, which would be massively punching above their weight class and thus significantly lessening their contributions; or neutral, in which case being a dragon is entirely superfluous and It may as well be anything else. Each case individually makes me suspect that a dragon is unlikely, but it can for the most part be nutshelled up by saying that IMO that well had been tapped dry.

Not that I have anything against dragons being used in unorthodox methods. I wrote a desert adventure where the boss was a brass dragon, and the encounter was basically role-playing your way past him rather than fighting past him. I just don't think that's going to be the case here.

Metastachydium
2021-06-17, 02:15 PM
Dragons, even good ones, are fairly haughty and typically consider themselves the apex species. Coupled with the standard fabulous wealth of a dragon makes it unlikely (though I'll admit not impossible) for one to be subservient to a mere halfling rogue, epic though she may be. Also, I don't really see much utility in having a dragon here; either it would be against the order, in which case we've already had three; with the order, which would be massively punching above their weight class and thus significantly lessening their contributions; or neutral, in which case being a dragon is entirely superfluous and It may as well be anything else. Each case individually makes me suspect that a dragon is unlikely, but it can for the most part be nutshelled up by saying that IMO that well had been tapped dry.

Not that I have anything against dragons being used in unorthodox methods. I wrote a desert adventure where the boss was a brass dragon, and the encounter was basically role-playing your way past him rather than fighting past him. I just don't think that's going to be the case here.

That's halfway fair, I'll give you that. Should I take that you are more open to half-dragons, then? Those don't really have any of the issues you listed there.

Peelee
2021-06-17, 02:20 PM
That's halfway fair, I'll give you that. Should I take that you are more open to half-dragons, then? Those don't really have any of the issues you listed there.

Yes. My only objection is to dragons ("objection" isn't really a good term here, but you know what I mean").

RatElemental
2021-06-18, 02:34 AM
I'm going to say it's an ogre, either an ogre mage (has charm person as an SLA and a natural fly speed), or just an ogre with class levels that give it comparable abilities.

I base this on absolutely nothing but the fact that ogres are sort of like goblinoids in that they're typically seen as "evil" despite being a sentient mortal race, and it would be interesting to have one of those on the side of good for a change.

Why is their speech bubble orange? Magic.

Metastachydium
2021-06-18, 04:49 AM
I'm going to say it's an ogre, either an ogre mage (has charm person as an SLA

Whatever hit Elan, it looks more like a Suggestion.

and a natural fly speed),

I'd argued before that Orange is likely to have wings (the wind moving Lien's cloak in Wait and See keeps changing its direction).

or just an ogre with class levels that give it comparable abilities.

I base this on absolutely nothing but the fact that ogres are sort of like goblinoids in that they're typically seen as "evil" despite being a sentient mortal race, and it would be interesting to have one of those on the side of good for a change.

I personally like the idea of another half-dragon ogre.

Why is their speech bubble orange?

Half-dragon of appropriate colour metal?

Yanisa
2021-06-18, 02:38 PM
I am going to (once again) play the Half-dragon Troll (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0991.html) card.

Troll is fitting because of Serini. The half-dragon troll was buried which shouldn't kill a troll. The dwarves live relative close to the gate. There is something here.

InvisibleBison
2021-06-18, 03:35 PM
I'm going to say it's an ogre, either an ogre mage (has charm person as an SLA and a natural fly speed), or just an ogre with class levels that give it comparable abilities.

I am going to (once again) play the Half-dragon Troll (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0991.html) card.

I don't think either of these are particularly likely. In the penultimate panel of #1189, Orange-voice appears to be carrying each of O-Chul, Lien, and their weapons in a different hand, and both trolls and ogres only have two hands.

Emanick
2021-06-18, 03:43 PM
I don't think either of these are particularly likely. In the penultimate panel of #1189, Orange-voice appears to be carrying each of O-Chul, Lien, and their weapons in a different hand, and both trolls and ogres only have two hands.

I've always pictured trolls as having really good pedidexterity for some reason. I doubt Rich shares that opinion, though.

There's too many possibilities IMO; I'm not even going to guess.

Squire Doodad
2021-06-19, 08:01 PM
I just want to say I'm surprised at how completely the discussion shifted from trolls, Kraagor and dragons to trolls, Kraagor and half-dragons once it got mentioned.
Even though it's been incredibly light conversation in the first place and not much has actually happened.

Unrelated question, is it possible for a sentient being with an ability like a Cone of Sleep to allow their "ability" to be used to "tip" a weapon? I would assume not, but for the Brass Dragon it's ostensibly a breath weapon.

arimareiji
2021-06-19, 10:25 PM
I just want to say I'm surprised at how completely the discussion shifted from trolls, Kraagor and dragons to trolls, Kraagor and half-dragons once it got mentioned.
Even though it's been incredibly light conversation in the first place and not much has actually happened.

Unrelated question, is it possible for a sentient being with an ability like a Cone of Sleep to allow their "ability" to be used to "tip" a weapon? I would assume not, but for the Brass Dragon it's ostensibly a breath weapon.

I took a second look after that post, and found that my memory was right for once after all. The text (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#brassDragon) weirdly refers to their breath weapon as a "cone of sleep", but earlier it refers to them using "a dose of sleep gas" to incapacitate people.

If an intelligent creature tries to leave without engaging in conversation, the dragon might force compliance in a fit of pique, using suggestion or a dose of sleep gas. A creature put to sleep may wake to find itself pinned or buried to the neck in the sand until the dragon’s thirst for small talk is slaked.

Interesting that a brass dragon might suggest the same tactics Serini has used. (^_~)

Peelee
2021-06-19, 10:30 PM
Interesting that a brass dragon might suggest the same tactics Serini has used. (^_~)

In the same sense that a red dragon would might suggest the same tactics that Xykon has used, yes, though I would doubt any claims that Xykon was a polymorphed red dragon even had I not read any of the prequels.

notably, Serini seems to be shooting down attempts of others to talk to her, and her companion seems rather taciturn from what little we saw of it. The fact that Serini made a sleeping Potion is no more interesting than that Xykon has cast Meteor Swarm; neither indicate anything about any draconic influence.

Squire Doodad
2021-06-19, 11:33 PM
In the same sense that a red dragon would might suggest the same tactics that Xykon has used, yes, though I would doubt any claims that Xykon was a polymorphed red dragon even had I not read any of the prequels.

notably, Serini seems to be shooting down attempts of others to talk to her, and her companion seems rather taciturn from what little we saw of it. The fact that Serini made a sleeping Potion is no more interesting than that Xykon has cast Meteor Swarm; neither indicate anything about any draconic influence.

It feels like if Beaker is a Brass Half-dragon, then their breath was probably a component in the potion. If they are not one, then the potion is just a sleeping potion.

Also, Serini talks quite a bit. She seems like she'd be rather affable in a non-doomsday scenario. Her companion may be equally talkative, but perhaps has been told not to make chit chat while on the job; I can only imagine there being countless times when they were checking on a cavern and accidentally pull the next encounter or foil their own invisibility because they kept on talking about how good of a chef Serini is and that they loved last night's dinner.

UnintensifiedFa
2021-06-20, 12:12 AM

Troll is fitting because of Serini. The half-dragon troll was buried which shouldn't kill a troll. The dwarves live relative close to the gate. There is something here.

And the Half-Dragon Troll has only ever appeared in 1 strip, right?

Maybe it’s the mysterious ally. Perhaps after the order convinces serini to have a change of heart, it would make some sense after all, although I’m not sure why it would only be an ally for the first part of the book.

Squire Doodad
2021-06-20, 12:51 AM
Maybe it’s the mysterious ally. Perhaps after the order convinces serini to have a change of heart, it would make some sense after all, although I’m not sure why it would only be an ally for the first part of the book.

The Half-Dragon Troll then gets wounded by Redcloak's Niece, and gets a 3 page soliloquy before dying and cuing the final battle.

Metastachydium
2021-06-20, 02:53 AM
It feels like if Beaker is a Brass Half-dragon, then their breath was probably a component in the potion. If they are not one, then the potion is just a sleeping potion.

Brass half-dragons only get the line of fire. They have no sleeping gas breath.

Peelee
2021-06-20, 09:30 AM

That's kind of my point - if something can be done already, then it undercuts any more specialized ways of being done. If Serini can already make a sleeping Potion then there's no justification there for a copper dragon. It adds nothing and shouldn't be used to prop up why a copper dragon is likely.

Yanisa
2021-06-21, 01:53 PM
And the Half-Dragon Troll has only ever appeared in 1 strip, right?

Yeah, I had posted it as soon as Serini was revealed as part troll, just to own an unique guess. :smalltongue: But seriously, I don't think the half-dragon troll be either the ally, or the minimitd, because it muddies Durkon's (parents) backstory.

It is interesting how much (half) dragon pops up around this discussion, but one the half-dragons "in the story" gets overlooked, especially because it's geographically the closest.

Riftwolf
2021-06-21, 02:26 PM
What if the hidden ally/minimitd is the Beholder from the early comics, who turns out to be subservient and nice to avoid copyright issues?

Metastachydium
2021-06-21, 02:40 PM
What if the hidden ally/minimitd is the Beholder from the early comics, who turns out to be subservient and nice to avoid copyright issues?

Subservient, nice and INVISIBLE! It all makes sense now!

arimareiji
2021-06-22, 03:06 PM

Don't make me call in the copyright lawyers to have you dragged away. I will, because this is very serious business. :smallfrown:

Additionally, my analysis of their respective personalities indicates a beholder could not possibly be friends with Serini due to their propensity to float. We haven't seen Serini float, therefore she must be an anti-floatist.

And I guess beholders wouldn't be able to dangle paladins from their eyestalks, but let's not get carried away (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1027.html) with this. (^_~)b

Metastachydium
2021-06-22, 03:23 PM
And I guess beholders wouldn't be able to dangle paladins from their eyestalks, but let's not get carried away (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1027.html) with this. (^_~)b

Girallon's Blessing?

arimareiji
2021-06-22, 03:34 PM
Girallon's Blessing?

A beholder with arms is one heck of a mental image. :smalleek: (^_~)

Separately, just as a silly offhand remark and not serious business - if you analyzed it as a real-world event rather than "a game-mechanical buff with some really strong flavor", is it just me or does it seem like it should be higher than third level?

hamishspence
2021-06-22, 03:47 PM
A beholder with arms is one heck of a mental image. :smalleek: (^_~)

Lords of Madness had a pic of a beholder with arms:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20050415a&page=1
http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/lom_gallery/88100.jpg

arimareiji
2021-06-22, 04:25 PM
Lords of Madness had a pic of a beholder with arms:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20050415a&page=1
http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/lom_gallery/88100.jpg

This got me to thinking about it -- I can't swear by it, but I think I did see a drawing long ago that popped into my head as the mental image. It had bodybuilder-muscular arms, and iirc something like a very angry/evil facial expression (which makes me think it wasn't a true beholder).

hamishspence
2021-06-22, 04:32 PM
You may be thinking of the Astral Dreadnought from Manual of the Planes- head is a little beholderish in that it has one eye and huge jaws. The rest of it is somewhat less so, and it lacks eye-stalks.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20010908a
http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/MotP/Astral_Dreadnought.jpg

Peelee
2021-06-22, 06:06 PM
This got me to thinking about it -- I can't swear by it, but I think I did see a drawing long ago that popped into my head as the mental image. It had bodybuilder-muscular arms, and iirc something like a very angry/evil facial expression (which makes me think it wasn't a true beholder).

Was it just a single arm, maybe? With wingalings, and consummate V's?

RatElemental
2021-06-23, 12:28 AM
All this talk about beholders with arms has me thinking about the buff armed mimic that just decks you instead of eating your hand when you touch it.

Squire Doodad
2021-06-23, 12:48 AM
All this talk about beholders with arms has me thinking about the buff armed mimic that just decks you instead of eating your hand when you touch it.

"Digestive enzymes are for wimps. Real men glue people to the floor and punch 'em silly."

Metastachydium
2021-06-23, 08:20 AM
a silly offhand remark

I see what you did there!

if you analyzed it as a real-world event rather than "a game-mechanical buff with some really strong flavor", is it just me or does it seem like it should be higher than third level?

Depends. Would those silly restrictions still apply?

Truffles
2021-06-24, 05:46 AM
Summon monster IV

Riftwolf
2021-06-26, 04:37 AM
Wait, I've got it!
A potential dragon ally that has only appeared on one page? Panel 5. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0188.html)

Emanick
2021-06-26, 09:08 AM
Wait, I've got it!
A potential dragon ally that has only appeared on one page? Panel 5. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0188.html)

Either that, or they kept the bottle of acne cream and it remarkably “cures” Serini of being half-troll.

Fyraltari
2021-06-26, 09:13 AM
Either that, or they kept the bottle of acne cream and it remarkably “cures” Serini of being half-troll.

acne cream

Yes... Acne cream... That is what that is. Cream. For the acne. Acne cream. Yeeeeees...

Peelee
2021-06-26, 02:26 PM
Yes... Acne cream... That is what that is. Cream. For the acne. Acne cream. Yeeeeees...

Are you trying to say it's football cream?

RatElemental
2021-06-26, 07:50 PM

I think Serini might be a bit miffed about the implication that being part troll (or just a troll at all) is something negative.

Rrmcklin
2021-06-26, 08:34 PM
I think Serini might be a bit miffed about the implication that being part troll (or just a troll at all) is something negative.

I don't see why; her dialogue doesn't imply she likes being this way. She could want to return to how she was and also have troll friends and think trolls are generally treated unjustly. Those ideas don't inherently contradict one another.

Precure
2021-06-28, 09:04 AM
what if the hidden ally/minimitd is the beholder from the early comics, who turns out to be subservient and nice to avoid copyright issues?

you have won!

hamishspence
2021-06-28, 09:21 AM
Don't make me call in the copyright lawyers to have you dragged away. I will, because this is very serious business. :smallfrown:

Additionally, my analysis of their respective personalities indicates a beholder could not possibly be friends with Serini due to their propensity to float. We haven't seen Serini float, therefore she must be an anti-floatist.

They have a Telekinesis eye ray allowing them to lift objects, plural, that weigh 325 pounds or less, total. If Lien and O-Chul, even equipped, weigh less than that, it works.

MartianInvader
2021-06-28, 10:17 AM
They have a Telekinesis eye ray allowing them to lift objects, plural, that weigh 325 pounds or less, total. If Lien and O-Chul, even equipped, weigh less than that, it works.
*Glances at most recent strip*... welp...

Blue Dragon
2021-06-28, 12:21 PM

Whoa! Bullseye! ARE YOU A SPY

woweedd
2021-06-28, 01:24 PM

You may now collect your winnings.

Riftwolf
2021-06-28, 01:35 PM
I must say after reading the last comic I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HAPPY
(admittedly I made several random flails)