PDA

View Full Version : Interaction Between Mirror Image and Dodge Action

Nosta
2021-06-14, 02:56 PM
Simple question. How dose the Mirror Image spell interact with the dodge Action ?

quindraco
2021-06-14, 03:00 PM
Simple question. How dose the Mirror Image spell interact with the dodge Action ?

It doesn't, just as Mirror Image and Blur don't interact, and Mirror Image and a Cloak of Displacement don't interact. Here's how it works, mechanically:

Attacker declares you the target.
Attacker rolls 1d20 to determine if an image is being targeted.
If an image is targeted, it has the AC listed in the Mirror Image spell, and is not at disadvantage to be hit.
If you are targeted, you are at disadvantage to be hit.

follacchioso
2021-06-14, 04:11 PM
I see it slightly different:
- opponent attacks you with disadvantage
- if total roll after disadvantage is higher than AC of the mirror images, there is a chance they may be hit

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-14, 10:31 PM
- if total roll after disadvantage is higher than AC of the mirror images, there is a chance they may be hit

Technically, it says you roll to determine if it's targeting a duplicate first, and then the attack roll is made.

It also goes to say that the illusion ignores any effects.

For the record, I'd prefer if it did work with other powers.

clash
2021-06-14, 11:33 PM
The spell mimics your actions performing the dodge Acton as well so
1 roll to see if it targets a duplicate
2 if it targets a duplicate roll to hit spell ac at disadvantage
3 if it targets you, roll at disadvantage

quindraco
2021-06-14, 11:40 PM

That's simply not how the spell works.

quindraco
2021-06-14, 11:40 PM
The spell mimics your actions performing the dodge Acton as well so
1 roll to see if it targets a duplicate
2 if it targets a duplicate roll to hit spell ac at disadvantage
3 if it targets you, roll at disadvantage

Also simply not how it works.

Valmark
2021-06-15, 04:10 AM
Seems to me that the disadvantage would work- it mimics your actions. Even logically if you move erratically to not be hit the copies that mimic your movements would also move erratically.

Wether the MI is targeted or not is determined before the attack is made- but otherwise I'd agree.

You may want to actually say why if you want to contest someone's thought on the matter.

It also goes to say that the illusion ignores any effects.

For what's worth it can easily be interpreted (this is indeed my reading) as harmful effects. It's presented together with ignoring any damage, after it says that it can only be struck by an attack that hits, so it's entirely possible it's talking about effects that would normally hurt the Mirror Image.

Amnestic
2021-06-15, 04:26 AM

The duplicates explicitly "mimic your actions" - why wouldn't Dodge give them disadvantage on the attack if they're copying your dodge?

Mastikator
2021-06-15, 04:53 AM
Three illusory duplicates of yourself appear in your space. Until the spell ends, the duplicates move with you and mimic your actions, shifting position so it’s impossible to track which image is real. You can use your action to dismiss the illusory duplicates.

Each time a creature targets you with an attack during the spell’s duration, roll a d20 to determine whether the attack instead targets one of your duplicates.

If you have three duplicates, you must roll a 6 or higher to change the attack’s target to a duplicate. With two duplicates, you must roll an 8 or higher. With one duplicate, you must roll an 11 or higher.
Action is the magic word here. Dodge action is an action. If you take dodge action the illusions also take dodge action. Or at the very least they must appear to take dodge action if you appear to take dodge action.

Also it specifically says that you roll a d20 to decide if you target a duplicate, that d20 is not against AC and is rolled by the caster. There's no advantage or disadvantage here.

THEN after deciding whether the enemy targeted you or not does dodge action come into play. But the AC of the duplicate will only be 10 + dex mod. So if you're wearing a +2 mithral plate armor with shield and everything at AC 30, your duplicate may still only have 10 AC.

Lunali
2021-06-15, 06:21 AM
The duplicates explicitly "mimic your actions" - why wouldn't Dodge give them disadvantage on the attack if they're copying your dodge?

Because they're dodging the same direction you are, which isn't really to their advantage.

stoutstien
2021-06-15, 06:46 AM
Not such a simple question. It's pretty ambiguous RAW, RAI, and RTMS. Best bet is just pick a ruling and stick with it.

Valmark
2021-06-15, 07:15 AM
Because they're dodging the same direction you are, which isn't really to their advantage.

If it's not to their advantage it's also not to the caster's advantage. It's not like they're dodging by going towards the attack.

JonBeowulf
2021-06-15, 07:50 AM

They appear in the same space you are, so for me, they're close enough for dodge to be helpful. Also, this scenario cost the PC two turns to set up... let them have something in return.

For more fun: What happens if you cast Invisibility on yourself while Mirror Image is up?

(I think you disappear while your MIs remain visible.) Certainly not an "I win" button, but there are edge cases where this would be useful.

quindraco
2021-06-15, 07:55 AM

All of your duplicates are objects, not creatures.

"Until the start of your next turn, any attack roll made against you has disadvantage if you can see the attacker, and you make Dexterity saving throws with advantage."

Your duplicates can't see, so the Dodge action does not benefit them in any way. The reason attackers don't get advantage when attacking a duplicate is the same reason they don't get advantage when attacking a chair or a door. I don't know exactly what that reason is, full disclosure - I've never seen actual RAW exempting objects from the unseen attacker rules. However, I can tell you WOTC consistently writes their rules as if objects are not at permanent advantage to be hit, and I've never heard of any DM anywhere playing any other way.

Valmark
2021-06-15, 08:03 AM
All of your duplicates are objects, not creatures.

"Until the start of your next turn, any attack roll made against you has disadvantage if you can see the attacker, and you make Dexterity saving throws with advantage."

Your duplicates can't see, so the Dodge action does not benefit them in any way. The reason attackers don't get advantage when attacking a duplicate is the same reason they don't get advantage when attacking a chair or a door. I don't know exactly what that reason is, full disclosure - I've never seen actual RAW exempting objects from the unseen attacker rules. However, I can tell you WOTC consistently writes their rules as if objects are not at permanent advantage to be hit, and I've never heard of any DM anywhere playing any other way.

...where does it say that illusions are objects?

EDIT: Specifically MI's duplicates, though I don't recall at the moment any illusion being an object.

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-15, 09:11 AM
They appear in the same space you are, so for me, they're close enough for dodge to be helpful. Also, this scenario cost the PC two turns to set up... let them have something in return.

For more fun: What happens if you cast Invisibility on yourself while Mirror Image is up?

(I think you disappear while your MIs remain visible.) Certainly not an "I win" button, but there are edge cases where this would be useful.

Personally, I'd rule that as allowing your MI to become invisible if you cast it after Invisibility. Great way to get the jump on someone.

Lunali
2021-06-15, 05:36 PM

They are within the same space, but not in the same place as you. If the enemy's attack is close enough to hitting you that you feel the need to dodge it, it's almost certain that the image that it's aimed at will be moving towards the attack when it mirrors you. If the attack isn't close enough that you'd feel the need to dodge, the image won't be moving out of the way.

Valmark
2021-06-15, 06:06 PM
They are within the same space, but not in the same place as you. If the enemy's attack is close enough to hitting you that you feel the need to dodge it, it's almost certain that the image that it's aimed at will be moving towards the attack when it mirrors you. If the attack isn't close enough that you'd feel the need to dodge, the image won't be moving out of the way.

Almost certain is a strong word, since the illusions could very well be mirroring a movement that takes them away from the attack. There's a lot of movements one could do to dodge something.

Which is ultimately irrilevant because Dodging doesn't work like that. You Dodge when you want regardless of wether you're being attacked or not, so there's no being close enough to speak of.

Kane0
2021-06-15, 06:25 PM
Mirror Image is worded pretty oddly and more than a little specifically, so a strict reading would probably be mirror image then disadvantage but to me the more 'realistic' interpretation as DM would be disadvantage first then mirror image (because if you're dodging then so are all your duplicates)