PDA

View Full Version : help homebrewing a grapple hook like weapon

da newt
2021-06-14, 03:14 PM
I'd like to build a thrown weapon similar to the Merrow's Harpoon or a grapple hook or lasso or something ... The idea is to provide a thrown weapon for melee folks that tethers them to the target, but is also well balanced vs other weapon options (not OP). Something a barbarian could huck at a target too far away to get into melee with, and then either pull it to them, or pull them to it.

I'm thinking something like "grapple hook" simple, thrown, 30/90' range, 1d4 + ST piercing damage, on a successful hit the target is tethered to the thrower. A tethered creature cannot move away from the thrower. On it's turn the target can use it's action to attempt to dislodge the tether (opposed athletics/acrobatics). On the throwers turn it can make an opposed athletic check in lieu of an attack (so 2x per turn if you have 2 attacks) to pull the target 10' toward the thrower or if the target is one size larger than the thrower the thrower is pulled/climbs 10' toward the target (like a shove action but 10' towards).

What do y'all think? Too complicated? Too weak? Too powerful? Suggestions?

quindraco
2021-06-14, 03:43 PM
I'd like to build a thrown weapon similar to the Merrow's Harpoon or a grapple hook or lasso or something ... The idea is to provide a thrown weapon for melee folks that tethers them to the target, but is also well balanced vs other weapon options (not OP). Something a barbarian could huck at a target too far away to get into melee with, and then either pull it to them, or pull them to it.

I'm thinking something like "grapple hook" simple, thrown, 30/90' range, 1d4 + ST piercing damage, on a successful hit the target is tethered to the thrower. A tethered creature cannot move away from the thrower. On it's turn the target can use it's action to attempt to dislodge the tether (opposed athletics/acrobatics). On the throwers turn it can make an opposed athletic check in lieu of an attack (so 2x per turn if you have 2 attacks) to pull the target 10' toward the thrower or if the target is one size larger than the thrower the thrower is pulled/climbs 10' toward the target (like a shove action but 10' towards).

What do y'all think? Too complicated? Too weak? Too powerful? Suggestions?

I'd make the weapon martial, and have the tether be resisted with a flat DC of the attacker's strength modifier + proficiency bonus + 8, resistable only on the target's turn, like a giant octopus's tentacle grapple. Make the pull distance 5 feet, since what the tether should mechanically allow is a Shove action pulling the target closer, which is 5 feet always, barring just letting the wielder move, which you can adjudicate in the same way as a grapple. 30/90 is deeply sus, as it doesn't exist in the PHB, but the weapon is going to be heavy, so I suggest a range band of 20/60. Basically, make it a spear on 60 feet of silk rope, so:

Martial Melee Weapon
Harpoon 13 gp 1d6 piercing 10 lbs. Versatile, thrown (range 20/60), tether

Kane0
2021-06-14, 03:52 PM
You could also make a reverse of the net, not doing damage but restraining at reach and allowing you to 'shove' towards you

quindraco
2021-06-14, 03:56 PM
You could also make a reverse of the net, not doing damage but restraining at reach and allowing you to 'shove' towards you

Yeah, a silk net on a silk rope would be very appropriate.