PDA

View Full Version : Have any D&D5e folks tried Star Wars 5e?

DrFunkenstein
2021-06-14, 05:37 PM
https://sw5e.com/

It looks darn interesting. At first glance, Jedi seem like sorcerer gishes, while Engineers are more like wizards. Neat.

I'm concerned by the sheer volume of sub-classes (archetypes), though. It might be a bit overdone/a lot to learn.

Thoughts?

Yakmala
2021-06-14, 06:39 PM
I have some D20's currently in dice jail that would be perfect for playing as a Stormtrooper.

Cikomyr2
2021-06-14, 06:45 PM
****. "which franchise used the most amount of your lifetime" will have my top 2 running up the score together.

Bobthewizard
2021-06-14, 07:17 PM
https://sw5e.com/

It looks darn interesting. At first glance, Jedi seem like sorcerer gishes, while Engineers are more like wizards. Neat.

I'm concerned by the sheer volume of sub-classes (archetypes), though. It might be a bit overdone/a lot to learn.

Thoughts?

I think it looks great. I'm hoping to play in one game with it soon and plan to DM a campaign with it in the near future. I am not worried about the subclasses. I'll only need to learn the 5-6 my players choose and a couple more for NPCs. I think I'm going to skip crafting rules, companions, downtime, factions and the starship rules. Those all seem like a lot of work to DM. I might add them in later but not at first.

I'm not planning on worrying about cannon and plan to run it more like playing Star Wars action figures as a kid. Let everyone do what they want with the story.

Cikomyr2
2021-06-14, 07:22 PM
The first mistake anyone playing a Star Wars RPG is overworrying about canon.

There's a reason the best Star Wars computer RPGs are set in a time where canon is irrelevant. Star Wars is about the feel of the universe

Aerys
2021-06-14, 09:10 PM
I created a character for a campaign, but it hasn't coalesced yet. At first it was jarring how transparent the ports from 5e were, kind of clashing genres in my head, but I think once I got past that it looks like fun. I was even thinking about how to translate it into RIFTS campaign. Not sure about how play-tested it is since there is so much material, but I'd be interested to hear people's experience with it, too.

GeneralVryth
2021-06-14, 09:32 PM
That is simultaneously awesome and so disappointing. The 5e spell casting system is not a good fit in terms of mechanical feel for Star Wars. What's even worse there were already templates for systems that would fit better in 5e (both in RAW and in UA). A significantly expanded 4 Elements Monk would have worked great for a lot of the Force stuff, most of the Mystic UAs would have also been fantastic in that regard. Awe well...

RSP
2021-06-14, 09:33 PM
Looks good - they definitely have a lot of material. I’m interested in how some of the D&D5e changes pan out - could be some nice houserules in there.

quindraco
2021-06-14, 10:03 PM
Definitely a lot of promise here, but also some let-downs. Not only does the force version of Guidance break the game in the same way as the original spell does, but it's also light side, not universal, as if Sith are bad at using the Force to be stealthy or to pilot a spaceship. Come on.

Even worse, this version of Guidance scales with caster level. Oh my god.

Doing a quick skim, Saber Throw is also just... poorly written, across the board. Wow.

On the other hand, "true" as a damage type for the purpose of ignoring damage resistance and immunity, instead of 5E either relying on untyped damage (bearded devils, stirges) or explicitly stating so, is inspired. Like I said, a lot of promise here.

Joe the Rat
2021-06-16, 08:29 PM
Could of used a closer brush against the Star Wars Saga Edition, particularly where the Force is concerned. and cover fire for automatic weapons.

But if you were to run a crew of relative normies (The Bad Batch, the Aftermath Trilogy primaries, the bulk of the Pascalorian.), it's serviceable.

TyGuy
2021-06-17, 09:48 AM
Not to high jack the thread, but how many 5e adaptations does that make now? Off the top of my head there's
Star Wars
Stargate
Lord of the Rings

BigRedJedi
2021-06-17, 10:52 PM
Have run a conversion of the Saga Edition Dawn of Defiance campaign through its first 3 chapters so far, and it has been excellent. The classes feel a little more robust than core 5E, Guidance is silly and I just reverted it to the core 5E version, and Saber Throw is awful, but can be tweaked to be manageable. They've made some minor changes to underlying systems that work well, and weekly updates and expansions of material is much appreciated. Codification of Force powers by Light/Dark/Universal and keying the casting stat to this alignment (WIS/CHA/Either) will annoy some people but appeal to others, it's a workable system.

The space combat system is complex, but functional, though you'll need several runs in space as a DM before you'll feel really comfortable with keeping the action moving.

Advice for ship initiative: if multiple characters are on the same ship, use the lowest initiative of that ship's crew as the ship initiative, then make the crew determine their action order and adhere to that throughout the combat during the ship's turn. Letting the crew decide order if actions aboard that ship each turn is a huge time waster.

Tanarii
2021-06-17, 11:00 PM
Read it, and the biggest problem is using spells for technology. It just doesn't feel like it will work. I mean, it already doesn't work for artificers, and they're supposed to be magical gadgeteer. This isn't the only 5e derived system I've seen using spell slots for technology, and it feels like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Anyway, I couldn't get a playtest group together for a few sessions, so I don't know how it would feel in play. Not enough interest in trying to use D&D for Star Wars.

Not to high jack the thread, but how many 5e adaptations does that make now? Off the top of my head there's
Star Wars
Stargate
Lord of the Rings
There is a huge 3rd party market for 5e. Want to play 5e My Little Ponies! There's a game for you.

Unoriginal
2021-06-18, 03:21 AM
I haven't played it, but from reading the rules it seems to me like they're both unsatisfactorily Star Wars AND unsatisfactorily D&D 5e.

hifidelity2
2021-06-18, 04:07 AM
I haven't played it, but from reading skimming the rules it seems to me like they're both unsatisfactorily Star Wars AND unsatisfactorily D&D 5e.

I will stay with the old D6 Star Wars - it plays fast and lose like the original films

Unoriginal
2021-06-18, 06:19 AM
I will stay with the old D6 Star Wars - it plays fast and lose like the original films

I respectfully ask you to not edit my quote without signaling it.

hifidelity2
2021-06-18, 09:27 AM
I respectfully ask you to not edit my quote without signaling it.

sure no problem - except I don't know how to "signaling it"

Corsair14
2021-06-21, 08:27 AM
Read it while deployed. Looks good, a lot of effort went into it. But I prefer classless games in scifi. Classes are too restrictive. D6 WEG remains the way to go in my mind.