PDA

View Full Version : I was going to use a Shakespeare quote, but it was too long... [PrC, D&D]

Dhavaer
2007-11-13, 04:20 AM
...so here it is now: "Come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here; And fill me, from the crown to the toe, top-full of direst cruelty."

Sclyrathian Witch

The first inhabitants of what would become Sclyrathia were escaped slaves and other refugees, fleeing with their pursuers only a few hours behind. They were saved by a sudden thick fog, brought on by the intervention of a nature spirit. The spirit offered to aid them further, if they could give it the life energy it needed. A few of the women agreed to give up their fertility in order to empower to spirit. True to its word, it gave the strongest of its new charges the power to defeat their pursuers, and guided through the fog to ambush them.
The refugees settled, were joined by more and grew in numbers. A few women from each generation gave up their fertility and the spirit put it to use, enriching the settlers crops and empowering some of their children. In time, the empowered children became a nobility of sorts, and empowering the spirit became the province of the noblewomen. The spirit had granted them skill in combat and the ability to inflict ill-luck, and they used this to protect their people against those who would return them to their former enslavement. The Sclyrathian Witches had emerged.

{table="head"]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Per Day
1st|+1|+0|+0|+2|Curse Progression, Spell Progression, Energy Resistance 5|+1 level of Hexblade
2nd|+2|+0|+0|+3|Dark Merging|+1 level of Hexblade
3rd|+3|+1|+1|+3|Improved Witchcraft, Energy Resistance 10|+1 level of Hexblade
4th|+4|+1|+1|+4|Bonus Feat|+1 level of Hexblade
5th|+5|+1|+1|+4|Energy Immunity|+1 level of Hexblade[/table]

Hit Die d10

Skills As Hexblade

Requirements

BAB +7
Skills 10 ranks Knowledge (arcana)
Feats Spell Focus (necromancy) or Ability Focus (hexblade’s curse)
Spells Must be able to cast Bestow Curse as an arcane spell
Gender Female
Special Must have a Dark Companion, and must be under the effects of a curse causing sterility. If this curse is removed, the Witch loses her energy resistance and immunty, her Dark Merging and her Improved Witchcraft. These abilities return once the witch regains her curse.

Class Features

Curse Progession
A Witch’s Hexblade’s Curse improves as though her Witch’s levels were Hexblade levels.

Spellcasting
When a new level is gained, the Witch increases her caster level, spells per day and spells known as though she had gained a level in Hexblade.

Energy Resistance
At first level, a Witch gains resistance 5 to Positive and Negative Energy. This increases to 10 at level 3. The resistance applies to healing as a well as damage.

Dark Merging
The Witch absorbs her Dark Companion into herself at 2nd level, gaining its abilities. Foes within 5ft. of the Witch take a -2 penalty to AC and saves. The Dark Merging can be dispelled as the Dark Companion, and reappears in the same way. The Witch also gains Faster Healing (CW) as a bonus feat.

Improved Witchcraft
The Witch’s Hexblade caster level is equal to her Hexblade level plus her Witch level.

Bonus Feat
The Witch gains Spell Focus (necromancy), Greater Spell Focus (necromancy), Ability Focus (hexblade’s curse) or gains 2 extra uses of her Hexblade’s Curse ability per day.

Energy Immunity
The Witch gains immunty to all positive and negative energy effects, including the effects of energy dominant planes and negative levels. This ability does not impede death magic or resurrection effects.

Dhavaer
2007-11-13, 04:24 AM
Notes:

This is made on the assumption Hexblades are given Bestow Curse as a second level spell. It's a flavourful spell for them, and at second level they'd get it at the same time as a sorceror.

I was originally going to give the class +3/4 BAB, but I decided being very difficult to heal was a good enough balancing factor. Hexblades need a bit of a boost in any case.

Kyace
2007-11-13, 07:11 AM
Expect Witches to curse themselves with sterility and remove it to get around the energy resistance/immunity.

Korias
2007-11-13, 07:31 AM
I'm not too sure about how sterility works, but out of curiosity, why does two extra Curse uses equal to one feat, which is constant? It seems to me like you ran out of room for abilities, and merged those two together.

Dhavaer
2007-11-13, 02:08 PM
Because the actual extra curse feat only gives one curse /day, which seems too weak to me.