PDA

View Full Version : High Level Epic 5E [IC]

JNAProductions
2021-06-15, 10:35 PM
OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?632870-High-Level-Epic-5E-OOC)

You're in Punk's Paradise-a rundown bar, located in the slums of the city you're in. It's a rough place-but you're tough enough that no one's been bothering you. Still, you aren't fully safe-you never are, anymore. Sleep won't come easy-but sleep can wait. You've matters to address.

Leostales
2021-06-15, 11:13 PM
Redlodge, lawyer; Sinthea, brothel owner; Qhadam, weapons; Gralkhan, arcane lore; Muun, thief-sneak; many more... All friends. All dead. All my fault. Their eyes are judgment, their names hellfire. Mortals die on me always. Grown accustomed, but not to this... Starved, bled, or stoned to death. Excess... to revenge against me.

In disguise; old human man.

Eugenia: called us, look for her. Met her once. Zealot. Change of heart? Maybe. Could be trap.
Hagard: Good, tough, trustworthy... also dangerous. Owe him.
Garrik: Worked with him. Righteous. Most trustworthy. Don't reveal self until he shows.

[roll0]

I'm being a little experimental with Moskra's prose. If you find it annoying or hard to understand, let me know and I'll tone it down.

Toliudar
2021-06-16, 02:36 AM
Eugenia

She had left a note that the old gnome woman would be wearing a red hat, and had a matter of great urgency to discuss on the evening of the 14th. She wasn't even sure if the note had been delivered, or believed, let alone acted on. But now, perhaps more than ever, it was important to act with faith.

She touched the filthy red hat on her head, and resisted the urge to touch the nose. Never touch the prosthetics. How did gnomes manage to drink anything? Eugenia was still only halfway through her wine. Which was probably all to the good. The wine was terrible, and she needed a clear head tonight. Maybe she'd overdone the nose.

Eugenia currently looks like a fat old gnome woman. Deception for disguise: 1d20+11z

The more I think about the dynamic of these four, the more I like the idea of Eugenia as the naive, the emotional, the happy, to act as a foil for the others.

Lioslaith
2021-06-16, 06:26 AM
Those sitting closer to the entrance could hear and feel the boots thumping on the porch before they saw him. Garrik was not small by any stretch of the imagination. He ducked his head slightly as he entered the tavern. The barkeep started to give a resounding greeting when he saw Garrik, "Well hello..." but a subtle, almost imperceptible shake of the dragonborn's head cut him off. The barkeep transitioned smoothly to a generic greeting, "...good sir, have a seat where ever you like and what can I get for you?". The keeps eyes cut over slightly indicating where Eugenia was sitting though Garrik had already spotted the unfamiliar patron in the tavern.

Most of the patrons that knew him also knew that since the barkeep hadn't called his name they in turn did not. These people were very protective of their protector and the irony was not lost on the dragonborn. He made his way through the small tavern, looking almost like some bum off the streets dressed in pieces of cloaks patched together to cover his bulk and something else? Glimpses of an odd black armor could be seen if one watched close enough.

As he approached the table where Eugenia sat he stopped and looked down at the gnome. The deep rumble of his voice cut through the din of the crowd, "Curiosity has been known to kill many the cat, but your note spoke to something in me. May I sit with you?"

Leostales
2021-06-16, 12:45 PM
Gnome, Red hat, Eugenia then. Disguise amateur, but passable. Public place, disguises do so much. They'll know we're here. Not now, then later. Garrik, minor disguise. Thinks not having his name shouted conceals his presence. His territory, maybe it's fine. Make contact.

An old man stumbles against Garrik and mutters something.

Codeword. If Garrik, he'll recognize it. If not; kill him, run.

Lioslaith
2021-06-16, 12:52 PM
Garrik catches the old man and squeezes his shoulder twice to show recognition. Standing him back upright and waiting patiently for an invitation to sit.

Leostales
2021-06-16, 01:04 PM
Garrik. Safe unless under mind control or imposter with memories. Stay ready. Hide identity from Eugenia

The old man turns to Eugenia. "Ol' Moskra Rhadan sen' me up here. Are you Eugenia?"

[roll0] Have proficiency, so Reliable Talent applies: if I roll less than 10, then I can treat it as a 10.

miinstrel
2021-06-16, 01:07 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/98/81/eb/9881eb6e8dc8287a74972dbae6de5a8a.jpg
Hagard "Red Blade" Enorien (ddb.ac/characters/51992791/29y8R9)
Rogue 13 / Fighter 4 | AC 22 | HP 143/143 | PP 18 / PIns 12 / PInv 23

Hagard crumpled the note in his palm and tossed it away in disgust, not at her intention but the sheer size of the task before him. She was right of course, there was more to this than one mortal could accomplish. But the vengeance he sought would be his and his alone.
He steps into the small tavern, eyes adjusting instantly to the shuttered windows keeping out the dusty sneeze of an afternoon gust. Garrik's bulky form is instantly recognizable even after all these years. He still looked strong. Good. Hagard strides to the barand orders a pair of dark ales which he picks up and pays for in a single movement, the coins silently replacing the mugs on the counter. An absence of caution in his gait, he heads toward Garrik with a long sigh pulling a chair up on the wall side of the table and sitting down unannounced.

The wood elf is dressed in traveling garb, a satchel slung across his back over a silvered shield. His hands and arms are completely covered in winding tattoos. A viciously jagged scimitar hangs at his waist. One of the ales slides toward Garrik and receives a clink from his mug before he takes a swig, eyeing the redcap while he drinks. "You look well," he says to Garrik.

Toliudar
2021-06-16, 01:12 PM
Eugenia

The old man and the dragonborn circle near. Two, at least, have responded to her inquiry, then. Eugenia smiles and gestures to two of the three vacant seats at the table.

There was no point in trying to disguise her nerves. She has trouble looking at either of the towering men, so contents herself with staring into her glass until both are seated.

"Are we...expecting anyone else?"

Lioslaith
2021-06-16, 01:13 PM
Nodding his thanks for the ale Garrik smiles at his old friends, ”I was until they found me again.” His nod indicating the gnome sitting across from them.

To Eugenia he says, ”You tell me, little bit, are a we expecting anyone else?”

Toliudar
2021-06-16, 10:01 PM
Eugenia

Eugenia nodded. Ah. Then it seemed that the three men hadn't conferred before coming here. Or, at least, that Garrik hadn't.

"Quite. I sent three invitations. I had hoped for another of the eldest...let's give him a little time, yes?"

Lioslaith
2021-06-17, 07:16 AM
While Garrik may not recognize his friend in his disguise he was more than familiar with the tactics. Eugenia's use of the term eldest could only mean one other person. Garrik hid his relief that Moskra was still alive and up to his old ways. ”No need to wait, he is likely closer than you suspect.”

miinstrel
2021-06-17, 11:50 AM
"I'm always expecting someone... these days moreso. People don't change. 'The times' rarely do either. That truth is why we're here."

His eyes follow Garrik's at the insinuation, studying the elderly gentleman carefully for the slightest flaw. Every wrinkle, every age spot, every arthritic movement was perfect if this was really him. Disguise is what got me last time too...

"The elderly move more slowly, give him time," he adds with a wry smile

Perception vs Moskra's disguise.
[roll0]

Toliudar
2021-06-17, 11:45 PM
Eugenia

Nodding a simple acceptance of the facts as presented, Eugenia glances between Hagard and Garrik.

"Ah. Right. I was planning to take you out behind the stable to chat in private. The ostler's very kindly agreed to keep watch."

She slides down off of her seat. Her hand hovers near her half-full glass of wine, but she draws back.

"I think that this will be of interest."

Nodding again, she makes her way slowly and carefully to the door, hoping that the men will follow.

Leostales
2021-06-17, 11:58 PM
Hagard. Disguises still fool him. Charade wearing thin. Throw them bones.

"Moskra ain' gonna show his face, but Ai'm his eyes an' ears, see?"

The group sees hints of Moskra in the old man's eyes. They flicker from soft brown to black elvish voids.

He follows Eugenia to the door.

Lioslaith
2021-06-18, 04:45 AM
Sighing audibly Garrik slides his chair back and grabs his ale, glancing at the barkeep who nods his approval to take it with him. He knows Garrik is good for it. He turns and follows the little gnome outside.

Smiling inwardly, his suspicions confirmed he knows now his old friends are back with him. This may be interesting after all.

miinstrel
2021-06-18, 12:33 PM

Behind the stable's where rabid dogs are killed too...

Hagard follows suit, bringing up the rear. As they round the back side of the stable he pauses a moment to watch the back door of the tavern for followers. A foolish precaution perhaps given the capabilities of those they opposed, but it comforted him to see the door remain shut.

Toliudar
2021-06-21, 02:26 PM
Once the four are gathered behind the barn, the small gnome woman settles heavily on a small pile of firewood, and leans forward with her story.

"You all likely know Mount Iramel, about forty miles east of here? Sparse villages, home to a friendly enclave of stone giants. Lovely folk, once you get to know them. Normally."

She paused, closing her eyes for a moment to compose herself.

"I was up in that region two weeks ago, and my first stop, the village of Brindalorn, more than eighty souls, was smashed flat. No signs of people, buildings wrecked down to their foundations, animals either missing, half-eaten or buried in the rubble. The next village over, Wellspring, I heard reports they'd seen the giants walking on the night that Brindalorn got smashed up, and heard from a woman that got away that there had been big boulders and then lots of screaming.

*So I went to find the Stone Giant chief. Big fellow, Byron Son of Bloodstone. Great laugher. Only when I got close to the clanhome, a couple of angry young stone giants turned me away, said he wasn't seeing any of the 'lying littlefolk' any more.

"Well, that didn't sound like the end of a story, so I get out of the mountains quick, and I report back here to the Church, to Right Cudgel Fredericks. I expect him to hear the news and marshall a militia double-time - there's got to be three, four hundred souls up on that mountain or thereabouts, and they're all in great danger. But Fredericks, he just nods and thanks me and tells me that he'll send scouts to check it out. And then, well, then I got a bit upset and may have said a few things that now of course I deeply regret.

"But the point is, I don't think he's actually taking this thread seriously. And it is. If you'd seen the range of those stone giants I talked with, you'd know.

"So, well, I've heard of all of you, obviously. It wasn't hard to figure out places where you were likely to be, and get messages to those places. So now I'm asking for your help. I don't have money to pay you, but these people need protection. I suspect that most of them don't even know that they're in danger."

Lioslaith
2021-06-21, 04:43 PM
Garrik listens to Eugenia tell her tale and sits quietly looking in her eyes after she is done. "What do you think may have provoked the giants ire?"

Toliudar
2021-06-21, 05:24 PM
She digs a thumb into the palm of her other hand, considering.

"As far as I know, the giants and regular-sized folk have shared that mountain in a friendly way for decades. Centuries, probably. I've heard of the occasional shepherd getting squashed by a stray boulder from the giants playing catch, but nothing like this.

"So anything I say is pure speculation. But...a new leader might be lying to them, using the little folk as scapegoats. Or maybe someone among the little folk HAS done something to them, and now they seek revenge."

Lioslaith
2021-06-21, 05:33 PM
"Seems like that riddle needs to be solved before anything else. Fighting giants never ends well and they will just keep coming if they feel wronged. They make the stubbornness of dwarves seem insignificant by comparison."

Leostales
2021-06-21, 07:46 PM
"Been awhile since ol' Moskra fought giants," says the old man. "Tha're big strong besterds and they don' take much ta Elves. Think he'd be right happy to help, but there ain't much he can do without a target. He's not a negotiator, that Moskra. He's a killer. And a plumb scary one." Unease in the old man's eyes. "He'll be there if ye need 'em, but don' ask for his help 'less yer certain ye need it."

Toliudar
2021-06-21, 10:23 PM
Eugenia

Eugenia gives the old man a baffled look.

"I'm afraid I'm a bit new to all this. Are you warning me that he'll try to kill me? And how would I know whether I need him in advance?"

She looks around at the three, suddenly wondering if she had made a bad choice.

"Look, the giants I know there are decent folk, if a little careless with the rocks. I'm not asking you to fight them. I'm asking you to help get to the bottom of a mystery."

Leostales
2021-06-21, 11:12 PM
Eugenia gives the old man a baffled look.

"I'm afraid I'm a bit new to all this. Are you warning me that he'll try to kill me? And how would I know whether I need him in advance?"

A quick cackle. "He ain' gonna kill ye." He jabs a finger at Eugenia. "But he ain't a person, ol' Moskra. He's a weapon. Remem'er that so ye don' use 'em against someone ye don' wanna harm."

"Look, the giants I know there are decent folk, if a little careless with the rocks. I'm not asking you to fight them. I'm asking you to help get to the bottom of a mystery."

"If ye say yer giants are decent, ol' Moskra'll give 'em the beneficial doubt. Meantimes, may be he can help with yer mystery. He's good at sneakin' when he needs to." A wink. "Jes' pray yer giants really are decent. Cause if they ain't, you ain' gonna see 'em again."

miinstrel
2021-06-21, 11:49 PM

She's in with the Church... could be trouble.
...Could be an opening.

Hagard listened passively at first, though his interest visibly grows as the story continues.

...It wasn't hard to figure out places where you were likely to be...

He shakes off a flashback of his open door. Of the muddy boot prints. Clearly...

"But he ain't a person, ol' Moskra. He's a weapon. Remem'er that so ye don' use 'em against someone ye don' wanna harm."

"A wisp and a whisper, I remember they used to say about him" Hagard interjects at the old man's metaphor. "Haven't heard a thing of him since the old days... must be true."

Pushing off the stable wall with his shoulder, Hagard rocks forward a step. "Words are wasted on oathbreakers, though ones as old as they don't do so without reason. Perhaps they need a reminder of the benefits of peace." His eyes are trained on Eugenia, uncertain if his doublespeak will land on deaf ears and whether she was even privvy to the history leading to her simple note.

"Giants are no brigands. It may take time for the Church to call allies that can handle this.
Let them come...
Are you comfortable stepping outside the Church's shadow to deal with this?" he asks directly.

Toliudar
2021-06-22, 12:18 AM
The wizened gnome's face twists into a wry smile.

"No. I don't think I've been comfortable with any of this, not since that first day in Brindalorn.

"I'm not like your friend Moskra. A weapon. I'm a person. Who is trying to save other people. Including the giants. So if the Church isn't going to do that, I've got to do it on my own. But I'm not comfortable. No."

miinstrel
2021-06-22, 01:48 AM

Sincere. Unknowing. She's either a pawn or uninvolved and either is fine.

Hagard returns a knowing grin. "For the best. If everyone were a blade who would swing them?

Fredericks. Cudgel. He's just a weapon too...

"If Brindalorn was the first strike another will be coming soon. Wellspring's got caves all around from the underground streams that feed its namesake. Might be some lead deeper into the mountains to avoid them as long as we can. Would have to ask the folks 'round there to be sure," he offers as a potential course of action.

Lioslaith
2021-06-22, 06:03 AM
Interesting that she doesn't want to fight the giants for decimating a village. That's a good sign. The Church would have used that as an excuse for genocide of the giants.

Garrik looks to the old man, "Tell Moskra what we've learned here today and to get his skinny arse out of hiding. Tis time we helped someone besides ourselves again."

He turns his head slowly and looks back at Eugenia, "If you are betraying me and mine to the Church, little bit...." He lets the threat remain unsaid but with those words Eugenia can see smoldering flames begin to leak out of his mouth.

Leostales
2021-06-23, 03:01 PM
Garrik looks to the old man, "Tell Moskra what we've learned here today and to get his skinny arse out of hiding. Tis time we helped someone besides ourselves again."

"Ye can meet ol' Moskra at The Pink Panther inn, no earlier than this here evening. Ask for Mr. Tnomal and ye'll find 'em," says the man in a hushed voice. "This work is gettin' a wee bit exciting for me old bones. I'll be making scarce lessen ye have more informin' for ol' Moskra.

I hope there are no objections to me making an inn up on the spot. If there are, I'm happy to defer to the DM's idea for an inn.

Toliudar
2021-06-23, 03:18 PM
Eugenia

He turns his head slowly and looks back at Eugenia, "If you are betraying me and mine to the Church, little bit...." He lets the threat remain unsaid but with those words Eugenia can see smoldering flames begin to leak out of his mouth.

Eugenia looks puzzled.

"If I was doing that, wouldn't someone have jumped out as soon as we were all in the same place? I mean, I'm no expert in this. But, by all means, continue to threaten the woman who's asking you for help."

When the old man gives details of how to contact Moskra directly, Eugenia nods. She looks at Garrik and Hagard.

"Would you recommend that we all go now to speak with Moskra? Or would one of you like to make contact with him and get back to me?"

Lioslaith
2021-06-23, 04:06 PM
”No not here, they wouldn’t try and take us here. It would be better for them to wait until we were on some remote mountain somewhere.” Garrik smiles though it still kind of just looks like he wants to have dinner. “Let’s go gather up Moskra and see is we can help your cause.”

Toliudar
2021-06-23, 05:45 PM
Eugenia

Clearly not understanding the finer points of ambushes, Eugenia shrugs and slides off the firewood and turns to the old man.

"All right. Perhaps you could lead the way to the Pink Panther then, sir? To introduce us to Moskra?"

Leostales
2021-06-23, 07:03 PM
"Sure thing, jes follow me." Old man leads trio through city streets, takes winding, looping path. "Welcome to The Pink Panther," he says when there. Comfortable place. Namesake on sign.

"Will you all be wanting a room?" asks concierge in lobby. Fat. Rosy-cheeked. Dark-haired.

When you look behind you, the old man is gone.

Toliudar
2021-06-23, 10:29 PM
Eugenia

The old man's ultra-fast disappearance confirms her suspicions. Well, who was Eugenia to judge. Don't touch the nose!

"Just a small glass of wine for me, whatever you have."

Eugenia glanced around the lobby, looking for a comfortable place to wait.

Leostales
2021-06-24, 01:21 PM
An eyebrow raises. "We have wine, m'am, but it's for customers only, or guests of customers. Dining is by reservation only.

If you don't mind my asking, are you here to rent a room or are you here to lounge? If it's the former, I kindly suggest taking your business to a less exclusive establishment."

Lioslaith
2021-06-25, 07:47 AM
Garrik steps forward and in his best snooty voice says, "I ... apologize for my compatriots actions, we are here to meet Mr. Tnomal. We were told he would be here."

Leostales
2021-06-25, 03:27 PM
"Oh..." says the innkeeper. "Him." Hands you a key. Room #130. "He's on there." Looks at all of you. Scowls. "Don't get up to any funny stuff in my rooms. This is a house of the gods after all."

Lioslaith
2021-06-25, 03:32 PM
Taking the key, Garrik leads the way to room #130.

Leostales
2021-06-25, 03:55 PM
Room #130. Furnished: carpets, easy chairs. Man (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DZPH1pmt3j_oTOJg4mflVJRlHGzgg-MO/view?usp=sharing) looking out window. Pointy ears. Holding wine glass.

"My name is Knotts Tnomal. I work for Moskra Rhadan," says the man. Turns around. Face sallow, young. Eyes dark. "I am his eyes, ears, mouth, and voice. Treat me as you would treat him."

If you've met Moskra, you can see a resemblance between him and Tnomal. His voice is completely different, however.

Lioslaith
2021-06-25, 04:00 PM
Ducking his head a little as he enters the room Garrik says, "Tell Moskra that we need his help, or more specifically, this young lady needs our help."

Leostales
2021-06-25, 04:21 PM
"Moskra will show when you have need of his... shall we say talents. Until then, he has ordered me to serve in his stead." He gestures to easy chairs surrounding table. Wine bottle and glasses on top. "Make yourselves comfortable and share your troubles."

If you want, we can handwave this conversation and move on to dealing with the giants.

miinstrel
2021-06-25, 05:03 PM

Hagard follows the group inside up to this Mr. Tnomal's room. When Moskra appears to be absent once again he grows impatient. They'd only met once or twice nearly a century ago... Knotts looked similar, but was this an alter ego or someone else entirely? He wasn't sure, but something needed to be said.

"Seems we're already on the receiving end of his talent for not showing up. We've no quarrel with you, brother, but we already met his wrinkly old 'eyes and ears and fingers and eyebrows.' If Moskra is too cowardly to show himself to old..." he pauses for a moment, clearly about to say 'friends' or 'colleagues' and realizing they are neither. "... I'm not so sure someone unwilling to lay everything on the table in person is ready for what's to come."

Leostales
2021-06-25, 05:49 PM
Knotts nods with Hagard. "Moskra has been dealing with much... adversity lately. He meant no slight by his absence, I assure you. I'm quite sure he trusts you all, but as they say, the walls have eyes and ears." A sip of wine. "If Moskra himself were to be found by his enemies, everything he's built would be lost. His absence is a move of prudence, not cowardliness."

Lioslaith
2021-06-26, 08:09 AM
Garrik lifts a hand slightly indicating calmness, "You will find no enemies here. We merely need to help this young lady with her giant problem."

Leostales
2021-06-26, 03:52 PM
Garrik lifts a hand slightly indicating calmness, "You will find no enemies here. We merely need to help this young lady with her giant problem."

"You'd be surprised where you can find enemies," Knotts says with a shrug. "I've heard of these troubles with giants. We'd be best to parlay with them sooner than later. Things may escalate."

Toliudar
2021-06-26, 04:25 PM
Eugenia

Eugenia trails along, watching the three men navigate a slightly odd situation.

"Well, it seems like if Moskra's OTHER eyes and ears has already been briefed, and you already know about the situation at Mount Iramel, there's not much more to be talked about here.

"The old man said not to bother Moskra until we were sure we needed him, so I guess the other three of us could teleport to the mountain tonight, and send word back to him if find that we need a, uh, weapon. Or do you think he'd like to come with us?"

Leostales
2021-06-26, 05:15 PM
"I shall accompany you..." says Knotts. "And it shall feel as though Moskra is with you the whole time."

Toliudar
2021-06-27, 12:48 AM
Eugenia

Eugenia nods and turns to Garrik and Hagard.

"Trust requires trust. I concealed my identity this evening until I was certain I could trust all of you."

She pulls off the red hat.

"My name is Eugenia Valence. I'm actually halfling. For nearly seventy years, I have been a cantor, performer and travelling preacher for the Church. I have no place in the formal hierarchy, and clearly am here with no official sanction.

"But...I know how some of you feel about the Church. If this makes you not want to help in this, I of course understand. I'll head on without you. If you're not going to kill me, I'll ask for your discretion as well. As Garrik has alluded, he has people who rely on him. So do I. If I were seen to be associating with such notable figures as yourselves, it might go very hard on those people. As well, I flatter myself that I have attained a small degree of notoriety. I feared that my undisguised appearance would draw undue attention to our meeting.

"So, gentlemen, any additional questions?"

Lioslaith
2021-06-27, 07:49 AM
Garrik smiles at the halfling So now I am blessed with three who like to disguise themselves. Perhaps I should try as well before chuckling at his own internal joke. "I don't have any questions."

miinstrel
2021-06-27, 03:45 PM

Maybe he just had an axe to grind against their mysterious compatriot after the last time. Wanted to size him up again in person. What's a few more days after all these years...

Hagard folds his arms at the dragonborn's more diplomatic approach. "Perhaps some have less to lose than others," he adds gravely, remaining silent after Eugenia's question suggesting he had nothing further to add before they departed.

Toliudar
2021-06-27, 06:30 PM
Eugenia

The halfling woman nods. She assumes that Moskra's minion would come or not, at his master's bidding.

"Thank you for making this leap of faith with me.

"I've arranged for a cover, a 'vacation' that I've taken for the next two weeks. So I'm ready to head to Wellspring now. If any of you need time to prepare for a journey, I of course understand. This has been a lot to take in. But if you're willing, I can teleport us to Wellspring tonight."

Leostales
2021-06-28, 09:21 PM
"I am ready for such a journey," says Knotts. "I need only grab a few... insurance policies, first." Steps out of room; grabs backpack, weapons belt, cloak. "Moskra has rented this room for an additional month. If we need a place to fall back to, you are all welcome here. I can personally vouch for the innkeeper's discretion."

Toliudar
2021-07-03, 02:14 PM
Eugenia

Eugenia formed a mental image of the alley behind the Pen and Pauper, Wellspring's most prosperous if only questionably literary tavern, standing proudly on one side of the town square. Eugenia had very fond memories of gathering in this alley before performances to smoke up pray devoutly with her band.

Taking Knotts' hand, Eugenia gestures for everyone to join together, and then she murmured the words of the teleport spell.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2021-07-04, 09:22 AM
Eugenia manages the casting without any difficulty, but you find yourselves not as close to Wellspring as you had thought you'd be. You find yourselves in some of the woods near it, the massive trees towering above you. It takes a few minutes to figure out your exact spot, but with a bit of tree climbing, you spot the road leading through the villages of this area. Your trek is not a difficult one, nor arduous, but it is only a few hours from night when you're approaching Wellspring.

The village is quieter than it should be-there's people there, you can see, but not as many fires or other lights as you would expect.

Toliudar
2021-07-04, 05:41 PM
Eugenia

Looking around their night-time surroundings, Eugenia offers a colourful if ultimately non-profane expression of dissatisfaction.

"Sorry, gentlemen. I think the town is this way."

Dread drops the floor of her stomach, and she glances up at Garrik.

"It HAS been a couple of weeks since I was here. Do you think that the giants might already have moved against the town?"

Lioslaith
2021-07-04, 05:58 PM
”Were there any survivors from the last attack? Looks like there’s people here and the village is still standing.” Garrick’s words sound reassuring but he draws his weapon as he says them.

Toliudar
2021-07-04, 06:56 PM
Eugenia

Eugenia shrugged.

"There were only a few dead. I assume that most of the town had either fled or been taken captive."

Lioslaith
2021-07-04, 07:05 PM
"They could also have been refugees. We won't know until we talk to them." Garrik watches warily as they find someone to speak with, keeping a careful eye out for possible giant signs.

JNAProductions
2021-07-04, 09:22 PM
You can feel the tenseness in the air as you walk into Wellspring. It's not dread-not yet, at least-but these folk are not at ease.

You spot an older woman-probably a grandmother-looking after three kids, playing quietly near a home.

Leostales
2021-07-04, 11:05 PM
You can feel the tenseness in the air as you walk into Wellspring. It's not dread-not yet, at least-but these folk are not at ease.

You spot an older woman-probably a grandmother-looking after three kids, playing quietly near a home.

Knotts walks up to the woman. "Good day, ma'am. Sorry to bother you, but we're new here and you seem like a woman who knows this town well. We're looking for information about the various hardships this town has faced. Is there a place you recommend to get it?"

[roll0]

Moskra is trying to get the woman to tell them about the giants without directly asking her.

Also, what time of day is it in the campaign?

JNAProductions
2021-07-05, 01:04 PM
It's close to sunset. Maybe half an hour away, right now.

The woman looks over to you all. She steps so she's between you and the children, and asks "Why do you care? What brings you here?"

miinstrel
2021-07-06, 09:33 AM

Teleportation was a sensation Hagard didn't miss from his former life, but it was hard to argue with its efficiency (even if it was occasionally off target).

"Giants," the wood elf replies succinctly. "Brindalorn's a pile of debris - trying to get an idea where they've been and where they're going next. You heard anything?"

JNAProductions
2021-07-06, 12:47 PM
She hesitates, looking back at the kids. She then turns to face you again, and sighs. "We've had a few refugees from there. We heard of what happened-but we don't know why. The giants were always peaceful before now-no one can remember a time when we were in conflict with them, not any serious conflict. But when it comes down to it... They're giant. We are not. If they decide to end us, there's nothing we can do. There haven't been any demands, no ultimatums or offers or anything. We're scared."

Lioslaith
2021-07-06, 01:19 PM
Garrik snorts at her reply, smoke seeping from his nostrils. ”If they have made no efforts to contact anyone then our only choice seems to be to go talk with them in person.”

miinstrel
2021-07-09, 03:34 PM

"How many villages are on Mount Iramel? Have you heard of attacks on any others besides Brindalorn?" Hagard questions.

JNAProductions
2021-07-09, 08:38 PM
"We've not heard of any other attacks-not yet, at least," she replies. "But there's at least a half-dozen other small ones. Might be more-people move about."

Toliudar
2021-07-10, 01:20 AM
Eugenia

Eugenia steps closer to speak with the woman.

"Thank you so much for your help. You mentioned that some of the refugees from Brindalorn are here. It would be very helpful to have a first-hand account of what happened there. Might you be able to direct us to where some of them are staying?"

JNAProductions
2021-07-10, 10:23 AM
She nods, and gestures towards the largest home you've seen. "Some are staying with Elder McKinley. He's got the space, since his husband passed."

Toliudar
2021-07-10, 10:14 PM
Eugenia

Eugenia reaches up to take the woman's hand.

"Thank you. Thank you so much! We'll do what we can to get to the bottom of this."

She glances around at her three colleagues.

"I think that we should start by speaking with those who were present for the first assault. What do you think?"

Leostales
2021-07-10, 11:40 PM
"That sounds a wise idea." says Knotts. He hands the old woman a pouch of silver. "For your help. Please, I insist."

JNAProductions
2021-07-11, 11:20 AM
"You sure?" she asks. When you indicate that you are quite sure, she takes the pouch, shaking her head. "Madness. But the good kind."

You head for McKinley's home, and knock on the door. There's a brief pause, then a young, haggard-looking man opens the door. "Is everything alright?" he asks. When you make known that you're simply gathering information to help with, and there is no present threat, he breathes a sigh of relief. "Okay... Okay. My name's Daniel-come in."

You follow him in as he leads you to a large dining room. No one else is there at the moment, but Daniel says "Let me get the rest-I'll be back in a moment." True to his word, he brings back a half-dozen others. Five of them are in a similar state to Daniel-worried, stressed, and clearly on edge. The last is an old man, with a magnificent salt-and-pepper beard, who appears much calmer.

The bearded man introduces himself. "I am Elder McKinley. You say you've come to help? How can we help you help us?"

Toliudar
2021-07-11, 01:28 PM
Eugenia

Eugenia settles into a chair, opting to lean forward and allow her legs to swing freely.

"Thank you for allowing us in. We are investigating the destruction of Brindalorn a few weeks back, and what might have set the giants off on this rampage. It would be really important to learn what actually happened there. One of the other townsfolk here indicated that you had very kindly taken in several people who fled Brindalorn. Might we be able to ask them some questions?"

Leostales
2021-07-11, 10:49 PM
Knotts gives Mckinley a respectful bow. "Thank you for your hospitality sir. My name is Knotts Tnomal. I was sorry to hear of your husband's passing." He takes a seat. "We hope to settle this giant situation peacefully," he explains. "But rest assured, we will settle it."

JNAProductions
2021-07-11, 11:05 PM
"Not my decision to make. But if you do need to question them," McKinley says, "Be careful. They've not been sleeping easy, and the trauma is still weighing on them."

The group of survivors look away, as if ashamed of being the only ones left.

Lioslaith
2021-07-12, 06:30 AM
Garrik moves closer to the survivors huddled together and squats down to speak with them. His armor creaks and groans as he does so but the group feels his aura of protection washing over them. Calming and soothing them. ”Before we start asking any questions are any of you hurt? Hungry or thirsty perhaps?” His eyes are kind and scan the individuals as he awaits an answer.

JNAProductions
2021-07-12, 08:49 AM
They shake their heads, with a small chorus of "No"s.

"The Elder's a good host," Daniel says.

Medicine check, from anyone who wants to make it, to see how they're doing without bias.

Lioslaith
2021-07-12, 09:10 AM
Medicine check for Garrik

[roll0]

Leostales
2021-07-12, 02:35 PM
Knotts looks over them with his Elvish eyes. His eyes are more intense than Garrik's. There is anger in them, but it is not directed towards the townspeople. It is righteous indignation on their behalf.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2021-07-12, 07:57 PM
They seem fine physically, at least. A few visible bruises and scrapes, but nothing that'd really impact them.

One of them is walking a bit funny-she may not be fully aware of it, but she's got something messed up in her thigh.

Bodies aside, you know that they're probably dealing with some pretty significant mental wounds. Survivors' guilt is a hell of a thing.

Toliudar
2021-07-13, 01:15 AM
Eugenia

Eugenia's eyes seek out the eldest of the refugees. Her voice is soft.

"To start with, it might be best for you to simply tell us what you remember about the day that the giants came. Take your time, and we can stop whenever you need to."

miinstrel
2021-07-13, 08:44 AM

Hagard nods in agreement with Moskra's assurance of a swift resolution, though lets slip a small sigh at the coddling of the refugees. Even after all his years impatience still gripped his heart, though he holds his tongue, instead engaging McKinley while the others tended to the refugees.

"Elder, is there anyone here who ranges farther into the mountains? Shepherds, scouts, or anyone else who knows the terrain and may have seen something beyond the town's edge? No need for them to join us, but we're not keen on stumbling into the giants' home unawares."

JNAProductions
2021-07-13, 07:11 PM
McKinley shakes his head. "The mountainous terrain makes it impractical to go towards the giants for much. We have some shepherds, but they're in the opposite direction-and thank the gods for that."

While the Elder quietly informs Hagard, the survivors recount their tale. They tell you that it started in the dead of night-the giants came, laughing to themselves. A few went to meet them-and were crushed beneath their feet. The giants tore the down the homes, some escaping, some not as fortunate. But there were too many, and they were too strong.

The survivors do note that others might've survived-they didn't see all the bodies or anything. But they've not seen any signs of anyone else having made it.

Leostales
2021-07-13, 09:35 PM
Knotts looks at Eugenia. "We don't have to leave yet, but when we do, do you think it would be wise to look for survivors in the ruins? Or should we go straight to the giants?" he asks her in a low voice.

Lioslaith
2021-07-14, 06:29 AM
"We can travel through the ruins to get to the giants. Kill two gnolls with one arrow."

miinstrel
2021-07-14, 12:46 PM

"Was two weeks ago... unless they got trapped with some food..." he lets the thought hang.
"Eugenia, ain't you already been through what's left of the town? You dig through things while you were there?"

Toliudar
2021-07-15, 12:43 PM
Eugenia

Eugenia flinches slightly at the use of her real name, but mentally shrugs and moves on.

"We were there shortly after. We didn't stay to excavate - focused on making sure that the other towns hadn't suffered the same fate. At the time, we didn't even know how recently it had happened."

Considering the possibility for the first time that her choice might have left people trapped and dying is clearly ovewhelming for Eugenia. She slides back in her chair, lost in thought.

Leostales
2021-07-15, 01:04 PM
"I'm willing to search for survivors," says Knotts. "If we only find dead bodies, then we can at least give them a proper burial. However, this giant situation sounds quite volatile. If we do take time to search the ruins, we must make haste."

miinstrel
2021-07-15, 01:18 PM
Hagard grunts in agreement. "Who knows what other clues we might dig up too."

Lioslaith
2021-07-17, 10:43 AM
"It seems we are ready to go then, yes?"

Toliudar
2021-07-18, 03:49 AM
Eugenia

Sensing that they were reaching the end of this particular Eugenia reconnects with the survivors who have shared their story.

"Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. We will try to be worthy."

She slides off of her chair.

Leostales
2021-07-29, 05:07 PM
Knotts follows the others out. He gives another pouch of silver to Elder Mckinley. Need to replenish the supply soon.