PDA

View Full Version : Radiant Sacred Exorcist of Pelor Build

Thoughtcandle
2021-06-16, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone, hope you’re having a great day.

Just interested on some recommendations for a cleric build.

Character is level 19, will most likely be human, and will progress...

cleric to level 5

radiant servant of pelor to level 5

Sacred exorcist to level 9

Thinking sun + healing for the starting domains, and glory for the bonus domain

Would love some feedback if you’ve built something like this before, feat recommendations, item recommendations, alternate class features, etc.

First time building out a cleric, so the more insight the better.

Thank you!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-16, 11:02 AM
Radiant Servant requires 9 ranks in a skill, so you can't enter with just Cleric 5. You can go Cleric 6 into it, or dip a level of another class that advances casting and turn undead, such as (adapted) Morninglord of Lathander from PGtF.

Use the PH2 spontaneous domain casting ACF for the Healing domain, this allows you to spontaneously convert prepared spells to cast Heal, among others.

The first thing to do is ask your DM if having more than one Nightstick (LM) will stack. It's based on the Extra Turning feat, which does stack with itself, plus a Nightstick's benefit isn't expressed as a bonus and shouldn't even fall under the stacking rules in the first place. Having a pile of those will give you plenty of turn uses to power Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell. If those won't stack, see if you can get one that's 10x as strong for 10x the price or similar. Failing that, get just one, with a Reliquary Holy Symbol in MIC, take Extra Turning, and it's probably still worth having DMM: Persist for just a few high level all-day spells. Spells to DMM: Persist include Greater Visage of the Deity, Stormrage, (Greater Rod of Maximized) Holy Star three times, Divine Power, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (on the whole party), Mass Lesser Vigor (on the whole party), etc. For Holy Star, keep each one in a different mode, when one's spell turning runs out swap that to a different mode and put another one into spell turning mode.

Be sure to get all the Necessary Magic Item (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) effects covered, whether by items or spells. Use MIC p234 to add bland bonuses to more interesting items for the same price as a standalone item of the same bonus. Wear a Monk's Belt to add your Wis bonus to your unarmored AC (it gives you the entire AC bonus class feature of a 5th level Monk, including the Wis bonus), and use Greater Luminous Armor in BoED every day.

Get items that improve the effectiveness of your turn undead ability: Rod of Defiance (MIC), Scepter of the Netherworld (MIC/LM), Phylactery of Undead Turning (DMG), Ephod of Authority (MIC), Talisman of Undead Mastery (MIC), etc. With all of those plus Greater Turning, you should be able to outright destroy even the most powerful undead you encounter that are susceptible. Maybe even pick up Quicken Turning (LM) so you can still cast a spell or make attacks in the same round.

Thoughtcandle
2021-06-16, 11:07 AM
Radiant Servant requires 9 ranks in a skill, so you can't enter with just Cleric 5. You can go Cleric 6 into it, or dip a level of another class that advances casting and turn undead, such as (adapted) Morninglord of Lathander from PGtF.

Use the PH2 spontaneous domain casting ACF for the Healing domain, this allows you to spontaneously convert prepared spells to cast Heal, among others.

The first thing to do is ask your DM if having more than one Nightstick (LM) will stack. It's based on the Extra Turning feat, which does stack with itself, plus a Nightstick's benefit isn't expressed as a bonus and shouldn't even fall under the stacking rules in the first place. Having a pile of those will give you plenty of turn uses to power Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell. If those won't stack, see if you can get one that's 10x as strong for 10x the price or similar. Failing that, get just one, with a Reliquary Holy Symbol in MIC, take Extra Turning, and it's probably still worth having DMM: Persist for just a few high level all-day spells. Spells to DMM: Persist include Greater Visage of the Deity, Stormrage, (Greater Rod of Maximized) Holy Star three times, Divine Power, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (on the whole party), Mass Lesser Vigor (on the whole party), etc. For Holy Star, keep each one in a different mode, when one's spell turning runs out swap that to a different mode and put another one into spell turning mode.

Be sure to get all the Necessary Magic Item (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) effects covered, whether by items or spells. Use MIC p234 to add bland bonuses to more interesting items for the same price as a standalone item of the same bonus. Wear a Monk's Belt to add your Wis bonus to your unarmored AC (it gives you the entire AC bonus class feature of a 5th level Monk, including the Wis bonus), and use Greater Luminous Armor in BoED every day.

Get items that improve the effectiveness of your turn undead ability: Rod of Defiance (MIC), Scepter of the Netherworld (MIC/LM), Phylactery of Undead Turning (DMG), Ephod of Authority (MIC), Talisman of Undead Mastery (MIC), etc. With all of those plus Greater Turning, you should be able to outright destroy even the most powerful undead you encounter that are susceptible. Maybe even pick up Quicken Turning (LM) so you can still cast a spell or make attacks in the same round.

Right on, I’ll enter at 6. Lathander is a no go according to my DM.

Can only use one nightstick per day.

Everything else is great advice, thank you!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-16, 11:14 AM
Right on, I’ll enter at 6. Lathander is a no go according to my DM.

Lathander is specific to the Forgotten Realms, Pelor is specific to Greyhawk. They're effectively the same deity, just different names for different settings. So it should be fine to make a Morninglord of Pelor, or a Radiant Servant of Lathander.

Thoughtcandle
2021-06-16, 11:22 AM
Lathander is specific to the Forgotten Realms, Pelor is specific to Greyhawk. They're effectively the same deity, just different names for different settings. So it should be fine to make a Morninglord of Pelor, or a Radiant Servant of Lathander.

I agree, but my DM isn’t going for it. Is what it is, but not an available option.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-16, 11:31 AM
Another thing to consider is using Illumian (RoD) with the Bright Sigil feat, so you can make a Daylight effect at will. Get the Swift Concentration skill trick in CS if you go that route. The Vaul rune will apply to your turning checks since it's a Cha check. Hoonvaul can further bonus your turning checks, but isn't compatible with Quicken Turning as both take your swift action, and you'll need to leave spell slots empty to power it. Otherwise maybe get Vaulnaen and if you'd want to prepare a spell more than once, just prepare it once and leave the other slots empty and you can spontaneously cast it from them, or just skip Vaul and pick a runeword you like.

Thoughtcandle
2021-06-18, 04:38 PM
Another thing to consider is using Illumian (RoD) with the Bright Sigil feat, so you can make a Daylight effect at will. Get the Swift Concentration skill trick in CS if you go that route. The Vaul rune will apply to your turning checks since it's a Cha check. Hoonvaul can further bonus your turning checks, but isn't compatible with Quicken Turning as both take your swift action, and you'll need to leave spell slots empty to power it. Otherwise maybe get Vaulnaen and if you'd want to prepare a spell more than once, just prepare it once and leave the other slots empty and you can spontaneously cast it from them, or just skip Vaul and pick a runeword you like.

Human is probably what I’d like to go with for the extra feat

dantiesilva
2021-06-24, 05:47 PM
I am playing a healer cleric who worships a homebrew version of Pelor/Wee Jas called the "Lovers" (Life and Death) and I mean she can one shot a nightwalker as well as a boneyard. When fighting living enemies she focuses on boosting allies and keeping them alive (only once has a PC ever died in our game and it was because I had completely run out of spells mixed with a surprise attack). Here (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1538190) is her link if you want to take a look. It is a lot less in your face focused (unless you are fighting undead, then it just autokills almost everything) and more about supporting your party. As I often optimize I didn't want to overshadow my party and thus challenged myself to make healing relevant. On average a level 1 healing spell can give roughly 30 hp back (off the top of my head).