PDA

View Full Version : Can I persist an arcane spell casted by my cleric?

Zhepna
2021-06-16, 06:18 PM
Hi,

we play 3.5 an my cleric have access to Anyspell.
I have metaphysical spell shape in the build so I use Metamagic Manipulation to be able to cast my spell with metamagic without increased the spell level.

I would like to cast a spell with the personal range on me. I saw online that I cannot persist an arcane spell casted as a cleric but I cannot find an explanation why.

Do you think it's the case?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Mnemnosyne
2021-06-16, 06:37 PM
That is likely referring to Divine Metamagic under the assumption that is how a cleric would be persisting spells. Divine Metamagic specifically applies to a Divine spell you know.

Since you're using a different method to pay the Metamagic cost, you're good to go.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-16, 07:26 PM
The Complete Divine errata (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata) updated Divine Metamagic as follows:

Page 80: Divine Metamagic feat
The boldface text needs to be added to the Benefit
paragraph of the feat description:
When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat that
you have. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat.
As a free action, you can take the energy from turning
or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat
to divine spells that you know. . . .

Anyspell says the following:

When you cast the arcane spell, it works just as though cast by a wizard of your cleric level except that your Wisdom score sets the save DC (if applicable).

Since you cast the spell prepared via Anyspell as though by a Wizard, it's cast as an arcane spell when cast this way. Divine Metamagic says it only works with divine spells.

The short answer is No, the long answer is to ask your DM.

Zhepna
2021-06-16, 08:42 PM
thanks a lot for your precise and fast answers