PDA

View Full Version : Buck Godot, Zap Gun for Hire

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Evil DM Mark3
2009-01-20, 05:17 AM
Sigh.

It would be nice to be wrong about turtles...

Radar
2009-01-20, 08:47 AM
Sigh.

It would be nice to be wrong about turtles...
They are rather pygmy dinosaurs - no shell, long tails and all that stuff.

Midnight Lurker
2009-01-20, 12:38 PM
It seems to have been only the inner circles of Pog government that were aware of this at all. I don't think that your average pog-on-the-street has any idea that his leaders are Winslow-worshipping genocidal maniacs... most of them must genuinely like humanity.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-01-20, 03:05 PM
It seems to have been only the inner circles of Pog government that were aware of this at all. I don't think that your average pog-on-the-street has any idea that his leaders are Winslow-worshipping genocidal maniacs... most of them must genuinely like humanity.

I dunno, is Qvakk part of the Pog Illuminati?

It seems more likely that the Winslow Cult (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081018) is a race-wide observance, but the Pogs believe that their faith should be kept secret from others. Since everyone else finds the Pogs unbelievably boring, it probably wasn't that hard to keep it a secret.

FoE
2009-01-20, 03:17 PM
It seems more likely that the Winslow Cult (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081018) is a race-wide observance, but the Pogs believe that their faith should be kept secret from others. Since everyone else finds the Pogs unbelievably boring, it probably wasn't that hard to keep it a secret.

If it's the kind of religion that condones the extermination of an entire species ... yeah, I could see why they don't bring it up in polite conversation. :smalltongue:

The question is, how can Buck prove it?

Ganurath
2009-01-20, 03:35 PM
I dunno, is Qvakk part of the Pog Illuminati?He's the Pog that specializes in observing humans.

In response to FoE's question: All three of those people are from Neo Hong Kong. The fat steaming pile of circumstantial evidence that they've pulled together is enough to pursue violence. If that's not enough for you, I remember from when OH linked the black/white version of this chapter...Our intrepid reporter will be making her return within the chapter, with concrete proof of a government conspiracy.

Rockphed
2009-01-20, 05:51 PM
What tipped me off to even suspect the pogs was when they took whoever's computer despite security wanting to see it.

Aidan305
2009-01-20, 06:10 PM
I had my suspicions before then (I think it was the giant statue of the evil warrior winslow that tipped me off) but it was the sclufonian(sp?) tooth that confirmed it.

Midnight Lurker
2009-01-22, 06:40 PM
See, this (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090122) is why I don't think the Pogs as a whole are winslow-worshippers. Oort clearly was not in on the conspiracy, and disapproved enough when he discovered it to go straight to Buck.

Also, and this is a major spoiler for what's left of the series --

The Pogs were the previous custodians of the Winslow. Like Humanity, pogdom as a whole didn't know this -- only the government. It's not hard to believe that the religion wasn't allowed to spread into the general public, and that most pogs just plain like humans.

Porthos
2009-01-24, 07:46 PM
• Salt!
• Alcohol!
• Caffine!
• Cholesterol!

Hmmmm...

Well, I'll say this much for the Pogs. They do know what we like. :smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2009-01-24, 10:04 PM
Oh boy, now we get to see Lou use her powers for the dark side.

TheDeeMan
2009-01-25, 08:28 AM
Aw hell. I was just reading about this comic on the Girl Genius thread.

Well, I guess if I'm gonna get eye strain going thru GG's archive I might as well get full use out of my eye drops and read this too. LOL! :)

Dee

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-27, 08:56 AM
T.T.F.N.? Ta-ta for now? That doesn't sound like something Buck would say...

Q.X.? Huh? :smallconfused:

Occasional Sage
2009-01-27, 11:04 AM
T.T.F.N.? Ta-ta for now? That doesn't sound like something Buck would say...

Q.X.? Huh? :smallconfused:

Shoot. I came here looking for an answer to the same questions.

Anybody?

Tirian
2009-01-27, 11:22 AM
Googling "QX acronym" turns up nothing of use. I suspect that Thad has never heard TTFN before and is responding with some random letters of his own. (And, no, it doesn't particularly sound like Buck but it does sound like something that would have happened to and amused Phil.)

sihnfahl
2009-01-27, 11:47 AM
Googling "QX acronym" turns up nothing of use.
Your searchfu needs work.

A substitute for "OK" in E. E. Smith's Lensman series.

And the Lensman series? Sci Fi space opera.

Runner up for the Hugo Award for best all-time series.

Gez
2009-01-27, 11:54 AM
For those who think "ta-ta for now" is out of character, please consider that Buck is obviously advising Thad to trade Thulium Futures notes.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-01-27, 03:02 PM
Great Klono!

Yes, q.x. is part of the Future Slang of Doc Smith's Lensman Series (read it now!). Buck Godot pays homage to the series a couple of times (example: Boskone (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20070301) is the Evil Empire in the series).

As for t.t.f.n., I imagine it's Future Slang again. The original translation of the acronym is no longer important - it's just another way of saying "goodbye" or "see you later." For modern comparison, consider LOL - after being considered as its translation "laugh out loud" people now speak of it as a noun (lulz) or even conjugate it (LOL'd). How long before people stop thinking about "laugh out loud" and start thinking about "an expression of mirth."

Ganurath
2009-01-27, 07:58 PM
As for t.t.f.n., I imagine it's Future Slang again. The original translation of the acronym is no longer important - it's just another way of saying "goodbye" or "see you later." For modern comparison, consider LOL - after being considered as its translation "laugh out loud" people now speak of it as a noun (lulz) or even conjugate it (LOL'd). How long before people stop thinking about "laugh out loud" and start thinking about "an expression of mirth."It's a Winneh the Pooh reference. Ta Ta For Now.

TigerHunter
2009-01-27, 08:07 PM
It's a Winneh the Pooh reference. Ta Ta For Now.
I think he's aware of that, and is just saying that it has a slightly different meaning in the future.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-01-27, 11:17 PM
It's a Winneh the Pooh reference. Ta Ta For Now.

Ah no.

According to The Other Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TTFN) it originated in WWII between Morse Code operators. I imagine this is where Phil got it from, since that fits most closely into where Doc Smith got his future slang from.

John Campbell
2009-01-28, 06:45 AM
That strip kind of weirded me out, because my father, who could almost pass for a Hoffmanite, uses "ttfn" habitually. (He's a ham.)

Ganurath
2009-02-05, 01:07 AM
Never start trouble with someone from Neo Hong Kong. You won't finish it.

FoE
2009-02-05, 01:38 AM
Never start trouble with someone from New Hong Kong. You won't finish it.

It's interesting now to look back at this strip (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090124) and realize that Thad and Buck knew exactly what she meant.

Porthos
2009-02-05, 02:08 AM
It's interesting now to look back at this strip (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090124) and realize that Thad and Buck knew exactly what she meant.

Not only that but what I liked is how completely non-plussed they were about the whole thing. Even in Thad's case (where one might think that as Head of Security he might ever so slightly be concerned about non governmental approved killings).

Guess you can take the guy out of New Hong Kong but you can't....

.... Well, you know. :smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2009-02-05, 02:47 AM
Not only that but what I liked is how completely non-plussed they were about the whole thing. Even in Thad's case (where one might think that as Head of Security he might ever so slightly be concerned about non governmental approved killings).There may not be laws in New Hong Kong, but there are rules. I just went over Rule 1. Rule 2 is don't get in the way of other people's business, or you'll become their business, and they'll want to close.

chionophile
2009-02-05, 10:59 PM
Can anyone tell me what the little "OOP!" in panel three is from?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-02-05, 11:21 PM
Can anyone tell me what the little "OOP!" in panel three is from?

It's Oort's chest comp, or more specifically it's locator beacon. Note the position of Ms. Dem Five's hands in this comic (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090117), panel 6, and corrsponding EEP.

Ganurath
2009-02-06, 10:38 PM
All hands to the Sneaky Gate!There are poiled splurgs in the vents!

Midnight Lurker
2009-02-07, 01:30 AM
Ah, poiled slurgs. Is there anything they can't do? :smalltongue:

Ganurath
2009-02-07, 01:46 AM
Ah, poiled slurgs. Is there anything they can't do? :smalltongue:For humans? Stay down.

Occasional Sage
2009-02-07, 04:25 PM
I have to say, the Kleg are growing on me for the quality of their casual abuse.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-07, 04:28 PM
Ah, poiled slurgs. Is there anything they can't do? :smalltongue:Fail the standards for being served in British School canteens?
I have to say, the Kleg are growing on me for the quality of their casual abuse.I think they may lack skeletons. That would help.

Midnight Lurker
2009-02-12, 12:30 AM
Ah, here's the setup. Come back on Saturday for a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming. Yes, Heartwarming. From the Kleg. :smallcool:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-12, 04:32 AM
The Kleg don't seem worried by the Beama.

I reassert my theory that they where involved in the Beama's creation!

Aidan305
2009-02-12, 06:03 AM

Really? He looks worried to me.

Radar
2009-02-12, 06:07 AM

I reassert my theory that they where involved in the Beama's creation!
That would explain, why Beemahs hate Kleg that much, wouldn't it? :smallamused:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-12, 10:31 AM
Really? He looks worried to me.He is poking it...

OK further crazy theories.

There is only on guy that could be the Beemahs' master and keep it hidden. The head of security.

Bit of meta thought here, we have very little story left so the mystery of the energy weapons system is linked to the genetic thingy tanks. So my conclusion is THE STATION IS ALIVE!

Aidan305
2009-02-12, 11:05 AM
He is poking it...
Yes, but look at the expression on his face.

Ganurath
2009-02-12, 11:56 AM
crazy theoriesThe first one I thought was obvious, after all the safety of the station is his responsibility. As such, the Beemahs have always been his responsibility. With the death of their original masters, their need for a master would likely make them imprint on him.
The second is a big leap in logic that depends heavily on meta, though. So, I'll toss out a theory of my own: The purpose of the Winslow is to give all the races in the universe common ground to use as a point of reference so that they won't be so alien to one another. The Winslow is made invincible and immortal by the belief of billions of species, each with trillions of people.

BRC
2009-02-12, 02:13 PM
That would explain, why Beemahs hate Kleg that much, wouldn't it? :smallamused:
I think everybody hates the Kleg.

AgentPaper
2009-02-12, 06:32 PM
He looks more surprised than worried. Might just be shock though. And I thought it was obvious that the mysterious energy weapons were the beemah.

Or is there something that makes that impossible/unlikely? :smallconfused:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-12, 06:39 PM
No there isn't. In fact, depending on how it works the fact that they are alive might screen them.

Porthos
2009-02-12, 06:50 PM
Or is there something that makes that impossible/unlikely? :smallconfused:

No, it has been confirmed that the beemahs are energy weapons (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081122). And it has also been confirmed that, as if it really needed saying, that the beemahs are the things lurking in the vent-shafts that are attcking anything that goes into them. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080920)

Gez
2009-02-12, 07:12 PM
I think everybody hates the Kleg.

Or at least, everybody think they're jerks. Buck seems to find them more amusing than loathsome.

Porthos
2009-02-13, 10:03 PM
Sneaky Gate...

"Merely Annoying" Trade Status.

Says it all when it comes to the Kleg, now dunnit? :smallamused:

FoE
2009-02-14, 12:28 AM
That ... reaction caught me off guard. :smalleek:

That shot of Whreee hugging the Beemah to his chest is too precious. "I will hug him and squeeze him and love him to death!"

Midnight Lurker
2009-02-14, 02:31 AM
And call him George. :smallcool:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-14, 05:25 AM
* Does the I was right dance. *

Merely annoying? I wish. Humanity is at least "Frequently frustrating".

Gez
2009-02-14, 08:10 AM
Sneaky Gate...
What's the point? Sneaky floodgate. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buck/issue7/buck7_00.php4) :smallwink:

Porthos
2009-02-14, 03:56 PM
What's the point? Sneaky floodgate. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buck/issue7/buck7_00.php4) :smallwink:

Ah, so that's where it was buried. Thanks for that. I tried to find it sometime after the last Site Reorganization, but gave up after a couple of minutes (went to the Wayback Machine instead).

Yes, that's quite a spoilerific floodgate there.

Just Sayin'. :smallwink:

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-14, 04:20 PM
Question: is this the last "issue" of Buck Godot that was made? Have the Foglios said anything about whether they're going to continue with with Godots once they are done, or not?

Gez
2009-02-14, 04:50 PM
There's a Gallimaufry issue 8, and after that it's over. So, we're not far from the end.

Tirian
2009-02-14, 05:26 PM
I've heard that there are more ideas in Phil's head, but then you start to run into the whole "only twenty-four hours in a day" problem.

Porthos
2009-02-14, 06:07 PM
Question: is this the last "issue" of Buck Godot that was made? Have the Foglios said anything about whether they're going to continue with with Godots once they are done, or not?

As Tirian said, Phil has said that he has an idea for a new Buck storyline. However Phil (and Kaja) have also recently said that they would probably wait until Girl Genius was over and done with before getting to it.

The problem, as I see it, is what Tirian said: Time. It is (barely) conceivable that Phil could ink/draw GG and BG simultaneously. Over the last few years, he's been able to set up a schedule where he can build up a buffer on GG strips (thus allowing Studio Foglio to go to cons, deal with family emergencies, etc).

But the main bottleneck, again as I see it, is the coloring of the strips. Cheyenne Wright does the coloring as a side job and it takes a lot of time. It is absolutely no coincidence IMO that the BG strips started slipping schedule wise once Cheyenne had to spend time coloring them as well.

Now if the Page Hits for BG were near in number as the GG Page Hits, then the Foglios might decide to risk the inherent burnout of running two very intensive strips simultaneously (they might even hire a different colorist to let Cheyenne deal exclusively with GG). But as near as I can tell, BG runs at about one tenth the site traffic the GG does. Now I'm sure a lot of that is due to the fact that the Foglios haven't done much to advertise Buck Godot on the web (in fact there are very rarely any links on the GG pages to their BG work) and I am equally sure that more of it is due to this being years old work (i.e it's "reruns"). But it is still undeniable that right now Buck Godot isn't moving as much site traffic as Girl Genius does.

Now maybe they're selling the old compilations in higher numbers than they were before. And maybe once the BG: Gallimaufry trade paperback comes out, they'll be able to judge whether or not a new BG series would be profitable. If lots of people start buying the BG books it would probably increase the likelyhood of more Godot adventures.

I dearly hope it does, since truth be told I actually (barely) prefer BG over GG. But until I start seeing some signs from Studio Foglio, I won't hold my breath.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-14, 06:40 PM
So, do we need to find Phil a time machine, or would a clone be sufficient? :smallconfused:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-14, 06:56 PM
So, do we need to find Phil a time machine, or would a clone be sufficient? :smallconfused:A cloned time machine. No less.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-17, 06:32 AM
Kleg existential crisis. Who do you shout at?

Ravens_cry
2009-02-17, 03:19 PM
Looks at todays strip.
I wonder if this is a typical example of a Hoffmanite womanhood? If so, despite Bucks Claims for liking woman a few hundreds pounds heavier,the sexual dimorphism is still pretty large.

FoE
2009-02-17, 03:39 PM
Admittedly, the gender-reversed Buck is pretty big for a woman.

However, I suspect Hoffman women look a lot like the men; this is just an excuse for Phil to show off some shapely legs. (I peeked a strip ahead, when female Buck stretches out on the floor; those are some nice gams.) :smalltongue:

Midnight Lurker
2009-02-19, 01:42 AM
If memory serves, someone wrote into the Gallimaufry's letter column early on to ask what Hoffmanite women looked like. Kaja's reply was to wait a few issues and see. :smallbiggrin:

Gez
2009-02-19, 04:39 AM
Heh. "Idiot fix." "Convenient Screen Co. "What luck!""

Midnight Lurker
2009-02-21, 01:51 AM
And now there's only one major piece of the puzzle still missing... :smallcool:

Occasional Sage
2009-02-24, 12:34 AM
What mystery machines are they discussing?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-24, 12:35 AM
What mystery machines are they discussing?

These machines. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080712)

Occasional Sage
2009-02-24, 12:58 AM
These machines. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080712)

Ah. I remembered the robots, but somehow never really noticed that they were tending machines despite it being clearly stated.

Thanks, OH!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-03-01, 07:28 AM
funky wardrobe

Man would that ever save time in the morning.

FoE
2009-03-01, 07:34 AM
So ... Par controls the Beemahs, huh? Bastard.

Too bad. I rather liked him.

Porthos
2009-03-01, 01:48 PM

Yes, that's rather the same feeling I had when I first read that. :smallmad:

Looking back thou, it's interesting to see the clues sprinkled throughout the comic, starting with Buck wondering how Para finds out about things so quickly. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080802) That's immediately reinforced a couple of pages later with the rather ominous warning about what would happen if Para was called after the ambassadors were kidnapped. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080812)

And that's not counting the some of the more enigmatic statements like, "I'll not let this station slide into barbaism again" or the establishment of just what lengths Para will go to ensure station security (too numerous to mention).

Same here. Should be interesting to see what happens next on the Para front. :smallamused:

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-01, 02:44 PM
Hey, anyone else getting errors on the site? I keep getting the following:

Error 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later.

TigerHunter
2009-03-01, 03:42 PM
Hey, anyone else getting errors on the site? I keep getting the following:
I am too. I put it down to my clogging up my own internet connection with massive downloads, though.

Gez
2009-03-01, 04:24 PM
I am too. I put it down to my clogging up my own internet connection with massive downloads, though.

Nah, I get the same errors 500 as well. Also on the Girl Genius page, where they're customized to tell me the page has most likely moved -- uh, no.

Occasional Sage
2009-03-01, 06:27 PM
I've gotten that message, paged back, and navigated forward again; the second time, no error. Wacky.

Me. too. I'm hoping that he's like Klaus Wulfenbach; devious, nasty, and scummy, but for all the best reasons.

Gez
2009-03-01, 06:33 PM
I've gotten that message, paged back, and navigated forward again; the second time, no error. Wacky.

You can just hit F5 until it goes away. Usually a single reloading is enough.

Me. too. I'm hoping that he's like Klaus Wulfenbach; devious, nasty, and scummy, but for all the best reasons.

It's a good comparison. He's more ruthless than the Baron, but his core motivation is the same -- maintaining peace over an inherently unstable world. (The Gallimaufry is unstable because of the countless different races which are not often in good terms with each others, Europa because of the dangerously mad Sparks here and there.)

The Antigamer
2009-03-02, 10:31 PM
When did they say they were going to search the memorials? I forget and can't find it.

Porthos
2009-03-02, 11:17 PM
When did they say they were going to search the memorials? I forget and can't find it.

It's part of a conversation that Buck had with Zinc-12 (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081202) that occured near the end of the last issue. :smallsmile:

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-02, 11:57 PM
Sneaky Shiftspace Gate!

Ready to begin speaking in technobabble, sir. :smallbiggrin:

The Antigamer
2009-03-03, 12:00 AM
Ah, yes, thanks, glanced right over that one and missed it.

I'm not sure why Par being the Beemah "Master" makes him bad. He's just trying to maintain station stability, and found that by keeping the race alive, he could get info needed to maintain that peace quickly and quietly. Unless there's and explanation in the "spoiler floodgate," 'cause I didn't read ahead.

Porthos
2009-03-03, 12:16 AM
I'm not sure why Par being the Beemah "Master" makes him bad. He's just trying to maintain station stability, and found that by keeping the race alive, he could get info needed to maintain that peace quickly and quietly. Unless there's and explanation in the "spoiler floodgate," 'cause I didn't read ahead.

On at least two occasions, the Beemahs have warned people that if Para found out that other people knew about (or even hinted at) the existance of the Beemah/Para link, then they would be killed.

Also, it's been hinted (if not outright stated) that the Beemah's don't exactly care for their current master. Whether it's due to what Para had them do during all these years, or rather it's simply down to the notion that they no longer want to be slaves is up to debate.

Anyway, considering that Para spaced an entire embassy (including a bunch of innocents) just because it's leaders decided to ignore his warnings... (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080624)

... Well, I don't consider the warnings that the Beemahs gave to be idle ones. :smalltongue:

<Hint at spoilers>
The other reasons why Buck said, "He's their master, damnation" is it's partially a fitting the pieces of the puzzle (i.e. "Aw, heck... That's what's going on") and a dawning realization that....

Well...

You'll see. :smalltongue:

Sneaky Shiftspace Gate!

Ready to begin speaking in technobabble, sir. :smallbiggrin:

The "Oh shut up, it's just us. Turn it on." was even funnier in my eyes. I would love to see a line like that in a modern SF TV show. :smallcool:

Ravens_cry
2009-03-03, 02:37 PM
*looks at today's strip*

"Scientific Progress Goes 'zha-BONK'?"

FoE
2009-03-03, 03:17 PM
"Scientific Progress Goes 'zha-BONK'?"

Of course. That's the exact sound effect that the Large Hadron Collider made when they turned it on.

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-03, 04:43 PM
The "Oh shut up, it's just us. Turn it on." was even funnier in my eyes. I would love to see a line like that in a modern SF TV show. :smallcool:What got me, really, was Spug playing jacks on the console. Or is that some sort of hypertech control surface? :smallsmile:

Occasional Sage
2009-03-05, 04:53 PM
What got me, really, was Spug playing jacks on the console. Or is that some sort of hypertech control surface? :smallsmile:

Obviously, the game of jacks was introduced to humans (shortly before we were ready for civilized society) by a disguised member of the Gallimaufry to train humans in hypermodern interface technology.

EDIT: Today's update is pretty and... vaguely Cthulhuoid.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-05, 05:28 PM
EDIT: Today's update is pretty and... vaguely Cthulhuoid.

:eek:

That page looks so much better in color. No wonder Cheyenne was late at getting it up :smallbiggrin:

Occasional Sage
2009-03-05, 05:32 PM

That page looks so much better in color. No wonder Cheyenne was late at getting it up :smallbiggrin:

Wow, it doesn't look very good in black&white (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buck/issue7/buck7_26.php4), does it?

Also, there seem to be some added details, like the bubbles scattered about.

memnarch
2009-03-05, 07:00 PM
Yeah, it looks much better.

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-07, 12:16 AM
Now it looks kinda like Galactus decided to redecorate his worldship in early modern Yha'nthleioi. :smallamused:

Gez
2009-03-07, 07:48 AM

I'd say he was late because he was working on the two pages at the same time.

Geno9999
2009-03-07, 09:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he working on like, two or three comics at the same time?

Gez
2009-03-07, 10:32 AM
Girl Genius and Buck Godot. That's one page per day.

However, if you look carefully at today's Buck and the previous update, you might notice they're actually a two-page spread. So he had to work on both of them together at the same time.

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-07, 01:21 PM
The Buck Godot pages require a lot more work than GG. Many Buck pages have been extensively "tinted" with Zip-a-Tone effects that Mr. Wright has to remove before coloring them. It's no wonder that he's frequently late...

memnarch
2009-03-07, 01:26 PM
And he does a great job of it too. :smallsmile:

Porthos
2009-03-11, 09:30 PM
Sorry, but I feel I must.

(Sneaky Gate)
Hi!
Hi! Hi! Hi!

FoE
2009-03-11, 11:19 PM
The WINSLOW!

Heh. Not even giant living subspace stations can destroy it.

Occasional Sage
2009-03-11, 11:43 PM
Buck talks about the entity's mother as if he knows exactly who she was. Bwa?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-11, 11:49 PM

Sir, that is known as a bluff.

In general, when dealing with extraplanar entities, it is best to go along with whatever craziness they are spouting. After all, the Gallimaufry can devour 1d3 investigators per round :smalltongue:

Porthos
2009-03-12, 12:27 AM

Buck's just being quick witted. :smallcool: He already knows that no one (except perhaps for some omnipotent being touring Andromeda) knows the secret behind the Gallimaufry. So the "she didn't tell us" bit is enuf of a white lie/supposition not to matter (i.e. anyone who knew about the existence of Gallimaufry's Mom is either long extinct, or unavailable). And the bit about "your mother is... gone" is just logical deduction.

After all, if anyone had known about a critter like the Gallimaufry existing, I'm sure Buck would either know about it, or run across info about it while trying to find out about the energy trap.

Everything after that (We're here to help now) is just Buck trying to get on the good side of something that could squish him like a bug. When one is in the Belly of the Whale, it's a good idea to keep said Whale happy. :smalltongue:

So nothing here but Buck using his brains and being a bit of a Fast Talker. :smallsmile:

One thing I would note is how quickly Buck turned the conversation back to the Energy Threats. He's already on record as thinking that there was some sort of link between the Energy Trap and the disappearance of The Winsow. So he is sounding out the Gallimaufry to see just how it "absorbs" energy threats.

Once he realizes that the Gallimaufry is absorbing energy threats (and eating them :smalleek: - although Buck didn't know that bit quite yet) he quickly realizes just where The Winslow is. Hence his, "Just as I thought" line when he finally gets The Winsow. :smallsmile:

Occasional Sage
2009-03-12, 12:45 AM
Fair enough. I have a tendency to misplace details in my brain, though, so I just assumed I'd forgotten a reference that he'd connected.

FoE
2009-03-12, 02:13 AM
In general, when dealing with extraplanar entities, it is best to go along with whatever craziness they are spouting.:

When someone asks if you're a god, you say "YES!" :smalltongue:

Gez
2009-03-12, 06:00 AM

I thought it was obvious (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081209).

DigoDragon
2009-03-12, 09:28 AM
Hi! I love the oddity of that Winslow. :smallsmile:

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-17, 05:26 PM
There was a time I liked Par... sigh... :smallfrown:

One issue left. The question before the court: what will the Foglios do when it's over? Could they manage an additional three pages of whatever per week, and if so, of what?

...I'm as big a fan of Buck as the next spug, but it occurs to me that what I really want to see is a comic adaptation of Illegal Aliens. :smallcool:

FoE
2009-03-17, 05:35 PM
One issue left. The question before the court: what will the Foglios do when it's over? Could they manage an additional three pages of whatever per week, and if so, of what?

They'll probably be grateful for the extra time they have on their hands. :smalltongue:

...I'm as big a fan of Buck as the next spug, but it occurs to me that what I really want to see is a comic adaptation of Illegal Aliens. :smallcool:

Illegal Aliens? :smallconfused:

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-17, 05:52 PM
A science fiction novel co-written by Phil Foglio and Nick Polotta, who you may or may not know as the author of the Bureau 13 books. Also illustrated by Phil.

It concerns Earth's first contact with aliens, which goes hilariously wrong on every level. :smallbiggrin: The aliens claiming to be representatives from the Galactic League are actually sadistic criminals who want to plunge Earth into war for their own sick amusements, but that's okay because the "test subjects" they grabbed in broad daylight are New York's worst street gang... :smalleek:

Gez
2009-03-18, 05:00 PM
They'll probably be grateful for the extra time they have on their hands. :smalltongue:

Oh, it's mostly Cheyenne who'll get extra time on his hands. I don't know how much work Phil and Kaja do for Buck, but I expect it to be at most limited to scanning pages, emailing them to Cheyenne, downloading the colored pages from Cheyenne's emails, and putting them on the site.

Rather than, you know, doing all that plus the plotting, storyboarding and drawing.

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-18, 11:28 PM
Final installment of the Herodotus Complex today.

The Schlock Mercenary galaxy could really use some Prime Movers, to facilitate communication between baryonic and dark matter life forms...

Interesting cover. I can't remember if there's anything in the issue to justify it...

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-18, 11:48 PM
The Schlock Mercenary galaxy could really use some Prime Movers, to facilitate communication between baryonic and dark matter life forms...

They do - remember the deal the Paan'uri they had with the Gatekeepers? They communicated just fine until the Paan'uri decided to kill everyone :smalltongue:

I, for one, hope this next issue involves a scrappy team of Pog Commandos lead by the cigar-chompin' fellow front-and-center.

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-21, 12:58 AM
I'd forgotten Par's last line on this page. It's an interesting insight into his character. :smallconfused:

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-21, 01:18 AM
I'd forgotten Par's last line on this page. It's an interesting insight into his character. :smallconfused:

True, it means he isn't an evil bastard; he just keeps an eye on the Greater Good.

In other words, Utopia Justifies the Means (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UtopiaJustifiesTheMeans)

slayerx
2009-03-21, 02:08 AM
True, it means he isn't an evil bastard; he just keeps an eye on the Greater Good.

In other words, Utopia Justifies the Means (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UtopiaJustifiesTheMeans)

In other words Klaus Wulfenbach (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040114)
There is a bit of a parallel

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-21, 02:16 AM
In other words Klaus Wulfenbach (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040114)
There is a bit of a parallel

Pretty much, actually.

Of course, Phil has been known to re-use ideas (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/stories/HBstory/HBstory.php) before :smallbiggrin:

chionophile
2009-03-23, 06:26 PM
The gate! It's open!

My favorite is where it says "Do not irradiate self." Obvious, yet helpful. Also, the funny looking yellow guy wondering how Buck managed to come into the station somewhere else.

memnarch
2009-03-23, 10:37 PM
Theory about the mercenary whispers
They're talking about the Winslow.

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-25, 11:58 PM
Poor Whreee, his "me time" keeps getting interrupted... :smallsmile:

Occasional Sage
2009-03-26, 12:57 AM
I think that when he realizes Parahexavoctal will be arresting/shooting the Kleg, he's going to have a small cranial explosion.

Gez
2009-03-26, 09:50 AM
I think that when he realizes Parahexavoctal will be arresting/shooting the Kleg, he's going to have a small cranial explosion.

That is, if he knows the Klegs know.

Aidan305
2009-03-26, 04:29 PM
Gods, I love the Winslow.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-27, 11:11 PM
Man, the Kleg are dramatically different with their Clients. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090328)

I guess they'd have to be - who'd work with them otherwise? :smalltongue:

Porthos
2009-03-27, 11:15 PM
Gods, I love the Winslow.

Agreed. As the strip that came out today proves, The Winslow is made out of Pure Win. :smallcool:

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-27, 11:25 PM
I love this page in particular. Especially Beemah #1's confusion.

Of course, it's even better with the first panel of the next page. :smallcool:

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-27, 11:30 PM
I love this page in particular. Especially Beemah #1's confusion.

This sort of confusion shows up again in other Foglio works. (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080825) :smallbiggrin:

Rockphed
2009-03-27, 11:39 PM
Poor Bemahs. Nobody likes them except the Kleg, who are kinda prickly. On the other hand, I love how the Winslow is snuggling up with the Bemah.

slayerx
2009-03-28, 01:21 AM
My god do i want a Winslow plushie right now

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-28, 01:35 AM
So do I, except that it'd start the bloodiest religious war of all time... :smallfrown:

Ganurath
2009-03-28, 02:07 AM
So do I, except that it'd start the bloodiest religious war of all time... :smallfrown:Humans don't care about the Winslow any more than a dolphin cares about [insert IRL religious figure]. You'll be fine.

Midnight Lurker
2009-03-30, 11:05 PM
Of course, it's even better with the first panel of the next page. :smallcool:

And here we are. :smallwink:

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-30, 11:06 PM
And here we are. :smallwink:

Hrm, looks like a bad scan. I hope they fix it.

slayerx
2009-03-30, 11:20 PM
Heh heh... y'know i was kinda wondering... Was Wree taking a second bath that day or was it just one really long bath. i Think Ms.Thag adds a new dimension to that question :smalltongue:

FoE
2009-03-30, 11:30 PM
No Winslow plushie for me. That little fuzzy lizard freaks me the hell out.

I notice a box marked "Inflate-a-Pog" in Veem's closet. Is that something Buck brought along, or is that for Veem's, ahem, "personal use?" In case of the latter, eeeeewwwww. :smalltongue:

Ganurath
2009-03-30, 11:54 PM
I notice a box marked "Inflate-a-Pog" in Veem's closet. Is that something Buck brought along, or is that for Veem's, ahem, "personal use?" In case of the latter, eeeeewwwww. :smalltongue:You'd prefer it be something that Buck just happens to have on his person? I'd prefer to think that worshipping the Winslow isn't the only hidden ritual the Pogs have.

FoE
2009-03-31, 12:47 AM
You'd prefer it be something that Buck just happens to have on his person? I'd prefer to think that worshipping the Winslow isn't the only hidden ritual the Pogs have.

I suspect that's the case, but I don't know what Buck is planning; maybe he needs an inflatable pog for some reason relating to his scheme.

Ganurath
2009-03-31, 12:55 AM
I suspect that's the case, but I don't know what Buck is planning; maybe he needs an inflatable pog for some reason relating to his scheme.No, he's going to tell Veem that he found the Winslow, and now Para is trying to kill him. Lies by omission turn enemies into allies, and the chapter cover suddenly makes more sense.

Porthos
2009-04-01, 08:34 PM
Sneaky Gate...

"The Winslow. You know, stupid lizard thing?"

Buck really is enjoying messing with the Pogs right now, isn't he? :smallbiggrin:

Gez
2009-04-02, 04:56 AM
"The Winslow. You know, stupid lizard thing?"

Buck really is enjoying messing with the Pogs right now, isn't he? :smallbiggrin:
Yes he is. Very nonchalantly.

I don't know if the Foglios have read these books, but Buck is like Asterix's mind in Obelix's body -- in space.

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-04, 01:51 AM
Ah, good old Obfuscating Stupidity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ObfuscatingStupidity). What would we do without you? :smalltongue:

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-06, 10:08 PM
Sneaky Shiftspace Gate (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buck/buckcomic/strips/buck20090407.jpg)!

Is there an "Enough Rope to Hang Themselves" trope? Because there certainly should be. :smallbiggrin:

eee
2009-04-07, 08:35 PM
It would appear Buck is setting up Veem and his fellow plotters for a MAJOR fall, and to look like absolute idiots in the process, at the same time.

I have to wonder, though. Surely there are some Pogs out there who aren't secret Winslow worshippers and/or would be horrified to learn what their rulers have done to get the little guy back. Maybe even a lot more than 'some'. Yet when the story behind the virus comes out, stuff hitting the fan is going to spray all Pogs pretty universally. I wonder if there's any way Pog/Human relations can be prevented from falling completely apart.

TigerHunter
2009-04-07, 09:16 PM
It would appear Buck is setting up Veem and his fellow plotters for a MAJOR fall, and to look like absolute idiots in the process, at the same time.

I have to wonder, though. Surely there are some Pogs out there who aren't secret Winslow worshippers and/or would be horrified to learn what their rulers have done to get the little guy back. Maybe even a lot more than 'some'. Yet when the story behind the virus comes out, stuff hitting the fan is going to spray all Pogs pretty universally. I wonder if there's any way Pog/Human relations can be prevented from falling completely apart.
Japan and Germany are pretty friendly towards the U.S. these days.

'course, they had the diplomatic advantages of being the same species and not having tried to commit xenocide.

Gez
2009-04-08, 02:57 AM
and not having tried to commit xenocide.

Whales and dolphins would disagree about that, speaking of Japan.

chionophile
2009-04-08, 11:14 PM
I love how completely laid back Buck is about this whole thing.

BRC
2009-04-08, 11:20 PM
Before this comic, I never thought Pogs could look threatening, but that Pog strike force is actually doing a good job.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-08, 11:25 PM
Before this comic, I never thought Pogs could look threatening, but that Pog strike force is actually doing a good job.

Sgt. Cigar is still my favorite :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2009-04-08, 11:27 PM
That is without a doubt the worst (and funniest) disguise I have ever seen. :smallbiggrin:

Gez
2009-04-11, 03:55 PM
"Everybody stay calm."
"Calm."
"Calm."
"Calm."
"RUN! They know everything!"
"Panic."
"Panic."
"Panic."

Evil DM Mark3
2009-04-11, 04:22 PM
That is without a doubt the worst (and funniest) disguise I have ever seen. :smallbiggrin:http://www.knitemare.org/cats/disguise.jpgI disagree.

Felius
2009-04-12, 03:15 PM
http://www.knitemare.org/cats/disguise.jpg I disagree.

Ok, now that's unfair. That's the worst, funniest and cutest disguise I ever seen.

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-14, 12:20 AM
This is it, folks.

Come one and all, undaunted men pogs in blue, A crisis, now, affairs are coming to! :smallamused:

smuchmuch
2009-04-15, 06:30 AM
Okay. I know that Godot want revenge on the pogs, but I don't see how he plans to get out of this situation himself.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-15, 12:52 PM
Okay. I know that Godot want revenge on the pogs, but I don't see how he plans to get out of this situation himself.

Well, he expected to be able to hide in the Prime Mover's quarters. He was surprised to find them locked - now he's operating going for the Indy Ploy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IndyPloy) :smalltongue:

Ganurath
2009-04-15, 10:08 PM
Sneaky Warpgate!More like a low-tech lockpick, I'm thinking.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-04-16, 03:48 AM
"Surrender is still your slightly less painful option."

:amused:

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-17, 11:12 PM
What is it with Buck and breaking in (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090207) on sentients (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090326) while they're bathing? (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090418)

VariaVespasa
2009-04-18, 04:53 AM
He just knows what he likes... :P

Gez
2009-04-18, 05:54 AM
That would be a running gag.

Okay, if Hyraxx is around when Buck tells the Prime Mover who are the new custodians of the Winslow, Par's worst fears will come true.

smuchmuch
2009-04-18, 07:23 AM
That was a low tech lockpicking, a really low tech lockpicking. Franky you'd think the most powerfull in this part of the galaxy (well expet the Winslow that is, All Hail His Flufyness !) would have a stronger door.

Okay, if Hyraxx is around when Buck tells the Prime Mover who are the new custodians of the Winslow, Par's worst fears will come true.
Hyraxx writing an article about fiflthfy politics when she can reveal such great mysteries as: What shampoo does the prime moover use and didi he meet the ghost of Elvis ? I think not.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-18, 11:52 AM
Oh, I'm sure the Prime Mover has already received the Beemahs and is ready to put on quite the show for the Pogs and Hyraxx to ensure the secrecy of The Winslow.

lord_khaine
2009-04-18, 12:37 PM
Oh, I'm sure the Prime Mover has already received the Beemahs and is ready to put on quite the show for the Pogs and Hyraxx to ensure the secrecy of The Winslow.

i dont know, if that were the case why is he then suddenly taking a bath?

Ganurath
2009-04-18, 12:48 PM
i dont know, if that were the case why is he then suddenly taking a bath?To hide the Beemahs and Winslow, obviously. If they live in the station vents, then the Beemahs must be able to hold their breath underwater. The Winslow... is the Winslow. Why is it that after typing this possibility, I started musing about just what the Winslow would be doing underwater with a bunch of Beemahs and the Prime Mover's lower half?

Gez
2009-04-18, 12:53 PM
Thank you for putting the mental image of a beemah and the winslow in the PM's bathtub. :smallmad:

Knight13
2009-04-21, 12:22 AM
Wow, the Prime Mover is pretty buff.

Like Gez said before, isn't Buck concerned that the Beemahs' existence and their ownership of the Winslow isn't going to stay a secret for long with Hyraxx there?

Also, love those extradimensional closets.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-21, 12:48 AM

Like Gez said before, isn't Buck concerned that the Beemahs' existence and their ownership of the Winslow isn't going to stay a secret for long with Hyraxx there?

You'd be amazed what a little Mind Erasure can do for you :smalltongue:

Also: Veem has officially Heard Too Much. Looks like Buck is going to personally "take care" of him :smallamused:

Radar
2009-04-21, 02:02 AM

The Hyraxx that is a tabloid journalist specializing in Elvis's ghost? Who would believe a story coming from that source?

lord_khaine
2009-04-21, 02:28 AM
what i still really dont understand, is why humanity wantet to get rid of the Winslow in the first place, after what i can see its really not hard to take care of, you can forget to feed it for a month and it still wont complain.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-21, 02:31 AM
what i still really dont understand, is why humanity wantet to get rid of the Winslow in the first place, after what i can see its really not hard to take care of, you can forget to feed it for a month and it still wont complain.
Maybe it was just that annoying:smalltongue:

lord_khaine
2009-04-21, 02:37 AM
Maybe it was just that annoying

something that Goes "hi" once in a while, and doesnt need to be fed?
they could have glued feathers on it, stuck it in a cage and called it a parrot, then safely hid it away at some old ladys house, making both the old lady and the Winslow happy.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-21, 02:41 AM
something that Goes "hi" once in a while, and doesnt need to be fed?
they could have glued feathers on it, stuck it in a cage and called it a parrot, then safely hid it away at some old ladys house, making both the old lady and the Winslow happy.
If it were that easy, the Prime Mover would have encased The Winslow in carbonite and stuck it on his mantel already.

lord_khaine
2009-04-21, 03:58 AM
If it were that easy, the Prime Mover would have encased The Winslow in carbonite and stuck it on his mantel already.

but that then leads back to the main question, whats the hard part in looking after a small imortal lizard-like creature?

sihnfahl
2009-04-21, 08:34 AM
Also: Veem has officially Heard Too Much. Looks like Buck is going to personally "take care" of him :smallamused:
You mean other than the 'take care of the Pogs' he already did by using them as unknowing cannon fodder and 'ablative armor' trying to get to the Prime Mover?

slayerx
2009-04-21, 08:42 AM

Well, taking out of consideration how much trouble it has caused them with other races... one guess i'm coming to is that for some reason those who come to guard the winslow end up becoming blind worshipers

I'm kinda thinking that the Pogs at one time did not care about the winslow, but after a couple millennia or so guarding the stupid little thing they wound up having a whole race of worshipers... the ambassador and the rest of humanity's leaders may have noticed the trend early on and thus decided to put a stop to it here and now

It does kind of explain the prime mover's comment on how Humanity might still be good guardians for a few thousand years, instead of assuming forever... it could be that they found that guardians for the winslow only last so long, as eventually the guardians come to worship it... the prime mover does not know the qualities that make a good guardian, but he might know a few prerequisite such as "not winslow worshipers"; the real question of what makes a good guardian comes down to picking just ONE of such races... hell for all we know, ALL the races that worship the winslow were once guardians

In this context getting rid of the winslow is not a bad decision... i mean eventually, Humanity would become unfit to guard the winslow and the prime mover would as such withdraw his protection... Essentially, the prime mover's protection would only be delaying the possibly inevitable... So humanity can either maintain free of the winslow worship and risk early extiction, or they can live longer, becoming worshipers and risk extinction at a much later time

Hey, considering the prime mover is able to save entire races from extinction and what not, i think he is capable of a little media manipulation... hell, they were the ones who pretty much got rid of 99% or the reporter population in the first place

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-21, 01:47 PM
You mean other than the 'take care of the Pogs' he already did by using them as unknowing cannon fodder and 'ablative armor' trying to get to the Prime Mover?
Oh, I think Buck has a much more personal fate in mind for Veem than for the Pog Army :smallamused:

BRC
2009-04-21, 03:05 PM
I think the things that make a good guardian are
1) They don't worship the Winslow and
2) People won't suspect them of having the Winslow.
The idea is that, the moment anybody finds out who has the winslow, the entire galaxy goes to war trying to get it. Nations that Worship the Winslow are too likely to reveal they have it in a fit of religious celebration. Big, powerful, important species are the first ones people would expect to control the winslow. Humanity worked because they were just another race amongst many, their only real contribution to galactic society being Popsicles. The Pogs were probably good guardians because nobody noticed them, they were just small green accountants and bureaucrats.

slayerx
2009-04-21, 04:12 PM
2) People won't suspect them of having the Winslow.
The idea is that, the moment anybody finds out who has the winslow, the entire galaxy goes to war trying to get it. Nations that Worship the Winslow are too likely to reveal they have it in a fit of religious celebration. Big, powerful, important species are the first ones people would expect to control the winslow. Humanity worked because they were just another race amongst many, their only real contribution to galactic society being Popsicles. The Pogs were probably good guardians because nobody noticed them, they were just small green accountants and bureaucrats.

While that is a good thing to have, it is not a prerequisite of a winslow guardian... remember even after humanity exposed that they had The Winslow, and that they would as such be the first people anyone would suspect of having the damn thing, the prime mover still felt that they were perfect to guard The Winslow for a millenia or two (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081206)

Really aside from being non-worshippers (of which we are not even sure about yet as we don't know what the exact reason was for the pogs loosing the winslow was; being worshippers is only a guass at this point), i don't think we should even bother to guess at the other possibilities... i mean, if our local omnipotent beings the prime movers who are the ones passing around the Winslow don't know the exact answer than we got no chance of figuring it out ourselves... its one of those, we don't know exactly, but we know it when we see it... heh, when the prime movers can't think of something, that could be like the foglios telling readers not to bother thinking about it either

Occasional Sage
2009-04-21, 11:21 PM
Phil, Kaja, Cheyenne, anybody that knows them who reads this:

FOR THE LOVE OF MY SANITY AND MY RESPECT FOR THE FOGLIO BODY OF WORKS, TAKE OUT THE EXTRA APOSTROPHE!!!

OK, I'm done now.

Gez
2009-04-22, 06:15 AM
Phil, Kaja, Cheyenne, anybody that knows them who reads this:

FOR THE LOVE OF MY SANITY AND MY RESPECT FOR THE FOGLIO BODY OF WORKS, TAKE OUT THE EXTRA APOSTROPHE!!!

OK, I'm done now.

It's not the first such errors I've seen in BG. They've greatly increased their mastery of English since, though, because I haven't seen much of them in GG.

TigerHunter
2009-04-22, 10:03 PM
Panel 4 is the stuff nightmares are made of.

memnarch
2009-04-22, 10:12 PM
Kleg crawling out of your closet?

chionophile
2009-04-22, 11:20 PM
Ahh, I love a bad guy who doesn't screw around. Don't see it very often.

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-22, 11:24 PM
And Par has snapped.

Let's see: in order to preserve his vision of security and order for the station, he's willing to... wait, some of this is on the next couple of pages... to go against the stated wishes of his cosmically powerful employerand violate his own moral code.

Guy's in need of serious therapy.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-22, 11:25 PM
Ahh, I love a bad guy who doesn't screw around. Don't see it very often.
Personally, I can't wait to see the Prime Mover in action - he did guarantee the safety of everyone in the room.

Poor Par - he's already lost and he doesn't even know it. :smallbiggrin:

Rockphed
2009-04-23, 12:53 AM
Personally, I can't wait to see the Prime Mover in action - he did guarantee the safety of everyone in the room.

Poor Par - he's already lost and he doesn't even know it. :smallbiggrin:

He should know. He did just bust down the Prime Mover's door to arrest them.

Ganurath
2009-04-23, 01:07 AM
Guy's in need of serious therapy.The kind that involves a horse for every limb and a lot of rope?

Gonna need a lot of horses for Par...

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-23, 01:23 AM
The kind that involves a horse for every limb and a lot of rope?

Gonna need a lot of horses for Par...

No, no, Par needs conventional therapy; this is outweighed (according to some moral structures) by the entire human and kleg species needing Par to be lynched. :smallamused:

Ganurath
2009-04-23, 02:22 AM
No, no, Par needs conventional therapy; this is outweighed (according to some moral structures) by the entire human and kleg species needing Par to be lynched. :smallamused:You forgot Beemahs. You know, the species that he has had simultaneously enslaved and slated for genocide for centuries? I'm pretty sure that the new lack of job security isn't going to help him avoid an ugly fate, either. Well, an ugly fate other than being Par. Zing!

Knight13
2009-04-23, 02:33 AM
Has Par always had that tail? I don't think I've noticed it before.

lord_khaine
2009-04-23, 02:41 AM
its hard to find words for how hard Par has snapped, its a bit to late to try and get the monkey back into the bag when its fallen into a nuklear reactor and grown 30 meter tall.

No, no, Par needs conventional therapy; this is outweighed (according to some moral structures) by the entire human and kleg species needing Par to be lynched.

though this i dont quite get, why would the humans want Par lynched? it was the Pogs who released the virus, and later destroyed the dna-key for it, Par had nothing to do with that.

Ganurath
2009-04-23, 03:15 AM
though this i dont quite get, why would the humans want Par lynched? it was the Pogs who released the virus, and later destroyed the dna-key for it, Par had nothing to do with that.Yeah, all Par's doing is preventing humanity from being cured, the Kleg's name from being cleared, and the Pogs from facing justice. Lawful Stupid at its finest.

lord_khaine
2009-04-23, 03:23 AM
Yeah, all Par's doing is preventing humanity from being cured, the Kleg's name from being cleared, and the Pogs from facing justice. Lawful Stupid at its finest.

Par is not trying to do anything to keep humanity from being cured, and we dont know his stance on the Kleg/Pog deal yet, so far it seems his main issue have been to keep the deal with the Beemahs a secret.

Ganurath
2009-04-23, 03:26 AM
Par is not trying to do anything to keep humanity from being cured, and we dont know his stance on the Kleg/Pog deal yet, so far it seems his main issue have been to keep the deal with the Beemahs a secret.Which involves doing at least two of the things that I stated, with him being fully aware of it. Data spike, anyone?

lord_khaine
2009-04-23, 03:58 AM
Which involves doing at least two of the things that I stated, with him being fully aware of it. Data spike, anyone?

not proven yet, we dont know what sort of information he had acess to, or what he would have done with it when the situation was under control.

hajo
2009-04-23, 05:38 AM

I'm curious how the Prime Mover's "guarantee of safety" will work :smallamused:

Also, if energy-weapons don't function in the station, and Par doesn't know how that works, how can he use what looks like some energy-weapon ?

Gez
2009-04-23, 06:25 AM
Does he include the Prime Mover when he says "you are all under arrest"?

slayerx
2009-04-23, 07:37 AM
Yeah, all Par's doing is preventing humanity from being cured, the Kleg's name from being cleared, and the Pogs from facing justice. Lawful Stupid at its finest.

no, Par has always used the Beemah's himself to persecute criminals... he will still make use of the evidence that Godot gave him to clear the Kleg's and banish the pogs... that is if he doesn't wind up just spacing them both, since the klegs are getting involved in the beemah affair

Furtharmore, Par is unaware of the exact situation of the humans; namely that the DNA keys have been destroyed and that the prime mover is the only way to save them... though if he did know, he would STILL want to keep the beemah's secret and resolve the humans problem another way; such as convincing the humans to keep looking after the winslow

Also, if energy-weapons don't function in the station, and Par doesn't know how that works, how can he use what looks like some energy-weapon ?
simple... it's not an energy weapon, but one of thousands of other types of weapons

Does he include the Prime Mover when he says "you are all under arrest"?
i don't think so... though it would be rather odd considering how he barged in stating with the line "by the authority invested to me by the office of the prime mover"... unless the prime mover gave him the authority to arrest the prime mover

DigoDragon
2009-04-23, 08:15 AM
though it would be rather odd considering how he barged in stating with the line "by the authority invested to me by the office of the prime mover"... unless the prime mover gave him the authority to arrest the prime mover

I doubt it, but even if the Prime mover did give Par that authority, what prison would even hold the Prime mover? :smallsmile:

sihnfahl
2009-04-23, 11:14 PM
I doubt it, but even if the Prime mover did give Par that authority, what prison would even hold the Prime mover? :smallsmile:
I imagine He Who Must Be Watered might have an idea.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-24, 01:18 AM
As we start to see Buck's plan unfold, I want to know how it ties back in to the most important loose thread of all: Buck's unpaid taxes! He mist have worked out a way to get his taxes covered in the deal, right?

eee
2009-04-24, 08:56 PM
i don't think so... though it would be rather odd considering how he barged in stating with the line "by the authority invested to me by the office of the prime mover"... unless the prime mover gave him the authority to arrest the prime mover

Well, there's the Prime Mover, then there's the Office of the Prime Mover. Just as in the U.S. there's the President, who is the elected man/woman, and then there's the Office of the President, which is the Constitutional institution. It may be that the Security Chief DOES have the authiority to arrest the Prime Mover, as part of the station Constitution/Organizational rules set up by the Prime Mover. But there's arresting him, and there's actually being able to take him into custody...

(I'm puzzled by Par. Up until he found out that Buck knew about the Beemahs, he seemed like Baron Wulfenbach from Girl Genius: Extremely tough and ruthless when necessary (even to spacing a whole embassy) but fair and balanced. The only time we saw him get really worked up was when talking about how he would not allow the station to descend into anarchy again. Yet since he got that data crystal he's been getting increasingly wild, and now seems nearly deranged. I have to wonder what he's trying to protect: The station, himself (despite that he's apparently immune to the legal consequences of his actions, as otherwise killing a whole diplomatic mission would have gotten him in REAL trouble)... or maybe the beemahs. Who are after all under a universal death sentence, and if people become aware of their existence, might wind up being hunted down and destroyed.

Foglio characters tend to be complex...)

Ganurath
2009-04-24, 09:29 PM
I imagine He Who Must Be Watered might have an idea.Yes, now all you have to do is get He Who Must Be Watered to follow through with said idea. Good luck making him.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-24, 10:28 PM
I'm puzzled by Par. Up until he found out that Buck knew about the Beemahs, he seemed like Baron Wulfenbach from Girl Genius: Extremely tough and ruthless when necessary (even to spacing a whole embassy) but fair and balanced. The only time we saw him get really worked up was when talking about how he would not allow the station to descend into anarchy again. Yet since he got that data crystal he's been getting increasingly wild, and now seems nearly deranged. I have to wonder what he's trying to protect: The station, himself (despite that he's apparently immune to the legal consequences of his actions, as otherwise killing a whole diplomatic mission would have gotten him in REAL trouble)... or maybe the beemahs. Who are after all under a universal death sentence, and if people become aware of their existence, might wind up being hunted down and destroyed.
The Beemahs were Par's secret police; they were able to sneak anywhere in the station and find out everything. The death sentence remained so that everyone would forget about the Beemahs and would kill and/or inform Par if any of them were seen - perhaps trying to escape. The Beemahs were clearly unhappy working for Par, and I'm sure Par new about this.

Now, Par finds out that Godot has information from the Beemahs - and if the Beemahs are giving him information they must have recruited him for an escape attempt. At the very least, someone else knows that there is a secret force that can investigate their embassies without detection - that may be enough.

I have no doubt that the only reason Par has been able to keep the station peaceful for as long as he has is because of this force; Par, above all, cares about maintaining order and Godot is now a threat to one of the pillars of that order.

No wonder he's flipping out.

Porthos
2009-04-24, 10:55 PM
I'm puzzled by Par. Up until he found out that Buck knew about the Beemahs, he seemed like Baron Wulfenbach from Girl Genius: Extremely tough and ruthless when necessary (even to spacing a whole embassy) but fair and balanced.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time reconciling "venting an embassy" with "fair and balanced". :smalltongue:

In other words, I don't think the comparisons with Baron Wulfenbach are really apt here. In the Baron's case, he has done a remarkable job at not letting power go to his head. He gives people second (and even in some cases third) chances. In Par's case however, well, I think that it's been fairly well established that the one thing that you don't do is cross him (or disobey his "do this or else" orders) in any way shape or form.

Really, Par is an excellent example of "Power corrupts..."

Yes, Par has good reasons to do what he does (he was around the last time the station wasn't "civilized"). And yes, he pretty much is the person keeping the station in line (the Prime Mover really wouldn't care, at least according to Par, if the members of the Gallimaufry ran havoc on the station as long as they didn't get too crazy). And, yes, it's probably true that Par didn't start out as a bad guy.

But all of this just shows that Par isn't a mustache twirling cliche of a villain. He is a person who the protagonists of the story can work with, but one that has a Deep Dark Secret, and woe to those who find out said secret.

Knight13
2009-04-24, 11:16 PM
Heh.

Buck: "Nice to know your omnipotence isn't in your pants."

Prime Mover: "Sez you."

Felius
2009-04-24, 11:21 PM
Par is a "little" bit over his head, isn't him?

Ganurath
2009-04-24, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time reconciling "venting an embassy" with "fair and balanced". :smalltongue:

In other words, I don't think the comparisons with Baron Wulfenbach are really apt here. In the Baron's case, he has done a remarkable job at not letting power go to his head. He gives people second (and even in some cases third) chances. In Par's case however, well, I think that it's been fairly well established that the one thing that you don't do is cross him (or disobey his "do this or else" orders) in any way shape or form.

Really, Par is an excellent example of "Power corrupts..."

Yes, Par has good reasons to do what he does (he was around the last time the station wasn't "civilized"). And yes, he pretty much is the person keeping the station in line (the Prime Mover really wouldn't care, at least according to Par, if the members of the Gallimaufry ran havoc on the station as long as they didn't get too crazy). And, yes, it's probably true that Par didn't start out as a bad guy.

But all of this just shows that Par isn't a mustache twirling cliche of a villain. He is a person who the protagonists of the story can work with, but one that has a Deep Dark Secret, and woe to those who find out said secret.If anything, Par is more comparible to The Other, only without being anywhere near as potent.

FoE
2009-04-24, 11:34 PM
Hyraxx is surprisingly calm when being shot at. It must happen a lot. :smalltongue:

TigerHunter
2009-04-24, 11:37 PM
I don't get the sudden round of Par-hating. He seems like someone who genuinely tries to do the right thing. His current hysteria is due to the fact that he sees Buck as a threat to his power, which he only wants because he feels "it is necessary (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090324)".

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-24, 11:53 PM
I don't get the sudden round of Par-hating. He seems like someone who genuinely tries to do the right thing. His current hysteria is due to the fact that he sees Buck as a threat to his power, which he only wants because he feels "it is necessary (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090324)".
Oh, I don't hate Par - he's a Well Intentioned Extremist (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WellIntentionedExtremist), just like so many others.

Still, I cannot condone enslaving an entire race and ordering their destruction if they disobey just to maintain order on a space station that has survived such disorders in the past.

Also: best line in Buck Godot, or bestest line? You be the judge :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2009-04-24, 11:54 PM

His attempt to murder the hero of the story probably has something to do with it.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-25, 12:03 AM
His attempt to murder the hero of the story probably has something to do with it.:smallfrown:
Feh, if I had to hate every (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030117) character (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030718) that (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20031219) has (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040922) attempted (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20061211) murder (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080929) against Our Hero, who could I like? :smalltongue:

Porthos
2009-04-25, 12:28 AM
I don't get the sudden round of Par-hating. He seems like someone who genuinely tries to do the right thing.

The phrase "Road to Hell" comes to mind for some reason. :smallsmile:

His current hysteria is due to the fact that he sees Buck as a threat to his power, which he only wants because he feels "it is necessary (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090324)".

The phrase "it is necessary" has been used by a thousand tyrants as justification/rationalization for all sorts of atrocities over the millennia, so you'll pardon me if I don't automatically buy it as a "get out of jail free" card. :smalltongue:

No, Par doesn't seem to take any great pleasure in his villainy. Nor does he automatically reach for it as a weapon of first resort. As I said, this just makes him a complex and flawed character. He is a character who will do anything to maintain peace and security.

Strangely enuf, those sorts of characters, generally speaking, aren't looked upon favorably in fiction.* :smalltongue:

Also, generally speaking, people don't look too favorably upon characters who keep other species/races/groups of people in slavery. Remember, the Beemah want desperately to get out from under Par's thumb. The very fact that they can't speaks ill of Par's character. Sure, he may gave saved them from extinction long ago. That doesn't give him carte blanche to rule over them forever tho.

Perhaps if Par hadn't made it a habit of spacing innocents, ordering the murder of people who don't deserve it, or holding an entire species in indentured servitude, people might be willing to cut him some more slack. :smalltongue:

Quite frankly it's a testament to the charisma (and complexity) of the character that he isn't reviled more than he already is.

* For instance, I am quite sure that <BLANK> will hit the fan in GG fandom if Klaus ever steps/leaps over the Moral Event Horizon in his quest to keep Europa "safe".

I'm also somewhat sure that Klaus will step over the line at some point of the story. Dude's just got Tragic Figure (in the Greek sense) written all over him.

PS: Not a Par Hater here. Though I must admit to being fairly POed when I first read Par's betrayal, as I really liked the character. :smallwink:

Knight13
2009-04-25, 12:56 AM
I liked Par too, I'm hoping that he turns out to have a really good reason for all this.

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-25, 02:31 AM
Note that Par himself does not believe that he is doing the right thing (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090321).

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-25, 02:51 AM
Note that Par himself does not believe that he is doing the right thing (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090321).

Right... and yet he does it - for the greater good.

Who is the bigger monster? The one who knows not what he does, or the one who does - and does it anyways?

slayerx
2009-04-25, 04:30 AM

Actually the baron does not give second chances (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040806)
No the comparison is very apt. If Wulfenbach gives second chances, its only because he knows he can afford the risk... He's practically untouchable... Par however does not have such luxuries, he doesn't have the same level of control that Klaus has. If he pulls his punches then the other races will walk all over him as they have a good deal of power himself. Essentially, Klaus would take on many of the same exact actions as Par if he was in his position... and i think Klaus could also be said to having a "do not do this or else" style rule over his land

As for Par spacing people... he made it clear what the law was, the embassy was fairly warned but they chose to ignore those warnings. And Par could not give them a second chance because if he did then all others would assume that it was nothing more than a bluff and the attacks would only get more serious. It's tyrannical, but it's likely nothing that the baron himself hasn't done in the past... afterall, how much damage must he have done to crush all of the other powers around the world? They would not go down without a fight and innocents were bound to get in the middle.... Hell do you forget that the moment Klaus found out Agatha was the other he ordered his men to kill EVERYONE of her companions; that sounds like it might include people like zeetha, krosp and even the circus folks if they came to help agatha; people who are innocent and do not deserve it... and hell, do you think Moloch or even Merlot deserved to be sent to castle heterodyne?

And also, have you seen how he has been acting lately now that the other is looming close?... Considering how Gil was worried enough that he thought the town should be evacuated, the Baron's plans to destroy the castle could get very messy. And when you take into account that mechanicsburg might not like their castle being destroyed they are likely to try and fight and then what's gonna happen? the Baron will likely end up having to burn down the town... it's all for the sake of getting rid of the other

and as for the beemahs... they are the secret to his control... their is no alternative that he could use... Machines would likely not be able to do the job and anyone he could hire could not be 100% trusted... essentially, slaves were the ONLY thing he could trust to do the job.... Par would not use slaves if he did not need to... and who knows how many crimes may have gone unpunished or un-avoided if not for the beemahs

the comparison between Par and Klaus is pretty spot on... the only difference is their given situation in that Klaus has a higher degree of control, and now we see Par in the position of loosing the control he has and having things go back to the way they were before... as Par put it, "falling into barbarism"... Par is becoming desperate

Still, I cannot condone enslaving an entire race and ordering their destruction if they disobey just to maintain order on a space station that has survived such disorders in the past.

Survived... but at what cost?

Case and point... humanity is now being faced with extinction and the Klegs are shouldering the blame... If the beemahs did not take the time to go to godot to work out a deal, then it's possible that going straight to par they could have gotten the DNA keys before they were destoryed and thus saved humanity without the primemover... at the same time they provide evidence that clears the kleg and convicts the pogs...

What would have happened, and might have happened in the past, if not for the Beemahs? one race goes extinct, another race is exiled, and the guilty race gets away unpunished... but hey, atleast the station is still survived right?

ya you can't really just say "so what? they faced disorder and survived before", when you have no idea what level of disorder they may have faced

I liked Par too, I'm hoping that he turns out to have a really good reason for all this.
Oh i think he does (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081002)

Gez
2009-04-25, 05:47 AM
Par's omniscience over everything that happens in the station is because he has enslaved the Beemahs. They spy on everyone, and report to him. The "kill on sight" policy is maintained so that the Beemahs would never try to find a new master, so they remain enslaved and dependent on Par.

But Par knows they don't like it and want to leave if only they could. Now what's happening is a disaster for him -- he's finished. If the Beemahs leave, then he will not know everything about everything that happens on the station. His reputation of infallibility and efficiency might maintain the cover for a time, but it'll only take the first unpunished dastardly act to let everyone know that know Station Security is blind. (Plus, since Par has exploited the Beemahs for millennia now, his own detective skills must be severely rusted. Just saying.)

If the Beemahs leave, or if the Klegdixal make them self-sufficient (and both are likely to happen now), Par loses the source of his power and his most important tool. He just cannot let that happen, because if he does he's as good as dead anyway.

TigerHunter
2009-04-25, 09:06 AM
The phrase "Road to Hell" comes to mind for some reason. :smallsmile:

The phrase "it is necessary" has been used by a thousand tyrants as justification/rationalization for all sorts of atrocities over the millennia, so you'll pardon me if I don't automatically buy it as a "get out of jail free" card. :smalltongue:

No, Par doesn't seem to take any great pleasure in his villainy. Nor does he automatically reach for it as a weapon of first resort. As I said, this just makes him a complex and flawed character. He is a character who will do anything to maintain peace and security.

Strangely enuf, those sorts of characters, generally speaking, aren't looked upon favorably in fiction.* :smalltongue:

Also, generally speaking, people don't look too favorably upon characters who keep other species/races/groups of people in slavery. Remember, the Beemah want desperately to get out from under Par's thumb. The very fact that they can't speaks ill of Par's character. Sure, he may gave saved them from extinction long ago. That doesn't give him carte blanche to rule over them forever tho.
I'm not trying to justify his actions. I'm just wondering why people are suddenly calling him Lawful Stupid and comparing him to the Other.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-25, 02:14 PM
ya you can't really just say "so what? they faced disorder and survived before", when you have no idea what level of disorder they may have faced
I think Zinc-12 has a pretty good idea (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081202) about the kinds of disorders that happened in the past. Tremendous destruction of data, to be sure, and deaths and injuries, but it is not going to destroy the station - the Prime Mover sees to that. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080930)

At worst, it looks like Par's talking about a Lord of the Flies scenario (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081002), which resulted in some sort of barbarous government taking over the Station and eating sentients or somesuch. The current situation is not so much a problem with Station government, but with external affairs.

The Pogs likely destroyed the keys immediately; the Beemahs note that they consider Humanity too dangerous to live (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081125). Earlier discussion implies that the Beemahs could have gotten the keys (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080913) but it is unclear as to whether they had just not yet tried, or if they were deliberately not retrieving their main bargaining chip for some reason. Personally, I think it was the former.

And note, that xenocide is only a Permanent Banning (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080726) offense. Yes, it is being exiled from the Station, but the Pogs would continue to live on their planets and communicate with other species bilaterally - plus they could have walked over to Humanity and picked up the Winslow, if they so desired.

Currently, Par is willing to kill three embassies (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090423) just to keep the Beemahs in slavery. Even after spacing those three embassies, Humanity would still be killed by the Pog plague, the Pogs would be Permanently Banned from the Station, and the Prime Mover would need to find someone else to hold onto the Winslow.

So yeah, I'm not giving Par a pass here. This is turning into one of those plans that result in losing your hat - by definition, a bad plan; (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20031017) the only person Par is saving is going to be himself - the Beemahs could still serve as Secret Station Security, but as a free race instead of one oppressed by Par.

Gez
2009-04-25, 03:47 PM
Not sure the Beemahs would be as efficient if they were free. They'd probably want the "kill on sight" notice to be lifted so as to be truly free, and once it's known they exist, people are going to be a bit more paranoid about secret doors in their closets, making their watch less efficient.

Par is essentially a Big Brother that does not tell you he's watching you.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-25, 04:22 PM
Not sure the Beemahs would be as efficient if they were free. They'd probably want the "kill on sight" notice to be lifted so as to be truly free, and once it's known they exist, people are going to be a bit more paranoid about secret doors in their closets, making their watch less efficient.

Par is essentially a Big Brother that does not tell you he's watching you.
Oh no, they'd still be secret - put a Spug (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081009) or, better yet, a Kleg as the public face but let the Beemahs manage things from the shadows. The Beemah warning will be quietly removed - it's hundreds of years old, and only long-lived station personnel really remember them - and everyone can go about their business.

After all, if they're not secret, how can they guard the Winslow?

eee
2009-04-25, 04:34 PM
The Beemahs were Par's secret police; they were able to sneak anywhere in the station and find out everything. The death sentence remained so that everyone would forget about the Beemahs and would kill and/or inform Par if any of them were seen - perhaps trying to escape. The Beemahs were clearly unhappy working for Par, and I'm sure Par new about this.

Now, Par finds out that Godot has information from the Beemahs - and if the Beemahs are giving him information they must have recruited him for an escape attempt. At the very least, someone else knows that there is a secret force that can investigate their embassies without detection - that may be enough.

I have no doubt that the only reason Par has been able to keep the station peaceful for as long as he has is because of this force; Par, above all, cares about maintaining order and Godot is now a threat to one of the pillars of that order.

No wonder he's flipping out.

All of this is probably true. The thing is, it's pretty conventional.

Where the Foglios are concerned, I kind of expect more. But maybe I'm just spoiled.

Let's see, as of the Saturday strip, Par has calmed down a bit but is still willing to arrest Buck, three ambassadors, a Pog attache, Hyraxxx - all of whom he'd have to kill to keep knowledge of the Beemahs secret - and even the Prime Mover himself. I think he's in over his head.

(Before concluding Par is the villain, here, I want to hear his side of things. We've gotten the Beemahs' side, but as the situation with the Kleg showed, what the Beemahs think they know, and the truth, aren't always the same thing.)

Godskook
2009-04-25, 04:58 PM
I don't understand how Par thinks he can order the Prime Mover around.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-25, 05:31 PM
I don't understand how Par thinks he can order the Prime Mover around.
He's in his Madness Place. People do insanely dangerous things (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20051005) when they're in that state of mind :smallcool:

slayerx
2009-04-26, 12:07 AM
I think Zinc-12 has a pretty good idea (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081202) about the kinds of disorders that happened in the past. Tremendous destruction of data, to be sure, and deaths and injuries, but it is not going to destroy the station - the Prime Mover sees to that. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080930)

At worst, it looks like Par's talking about a Lord of the Flies scenario (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081002), which resulted in some sort of barbarous government taking over the Station and eating sentients or somesuch. The current situation is not so much a problem with Station government, but with external affairs.

From the way Par speaks the beemah has been preventing a repeat of such a thing... if not for them whatever happened in the past may happen again.

As the prime mover has said, the hidden weapons that various races have are never used, which means that the races have never gone into open hostilities, before the winslow showed up. Thus a lot of the crime that was happening on the station was mostly very secretive and relied on stealth which the beemahs have managed to take away from them.

The Pogs likely destroyed the keys immediately; the Beemahs note that they consider Humanity too dangerous to live (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081125). Earlier discussion implies that the Beemahs could have gotten the keys (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080913) but it is unclear as to whether they had just not yet tried, or if they were deliberately not retrieving their main bargaining chip for some reason. Personally, I think it was the former.

Actually, i think it's unlikely that the Pogs destroyed the virus right away... considering when Humanity actually showed signs of infection, the Pogs likely knew humanity had the winslow for months now, as humanity was infected months ago. Back then, the winslow was hidden somewhere on earth and well guarded. The pogs wanted the winslow and so the most likely scenerio was that the cure for the virus was to be their bargaining chip, the cure in exchange for the winslow; yes this would result in many problems for the pogs, but it is worth it if they get the winslow back... however, now the situation changed since Humanity lost the winslow and on the station where it is within the reach of the Pogs... they have much less need for the bargaining choip and as such have chosen what they see as the safe route and chose to just allow humanity to die.

The beemah have been watching the pogs and thus would have known exactly when the Pogs destroyed the keys. Also, if the pogs destroyed the cure right away then it would have been likely that it would have been in their initial plans; any other thing the Beemahs were aware of...

As for why the beemahs did not take the keys before to prevent their destruction... as the Beemahs admit they didn't think about destroying the keys (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20081125)... the beemahs are not infallible and thus are capable of making such mistakes, and overlooking possibilities

And note, that xenocide is only a Permanent Banning (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080726) offense. Yes, it is being exiled from the Station, but the Pogs would continue to live on their planets and communicate with other species bilaterally - plus they could have walked over to Humanity and picked up the Winslow, if they so desired.

The pogs would suffer greatly economically... not only do they loose a prime trading post, but no one will trust them after they know that the Pogs committed xenocide against their most trusted allies.

As for the Winslow... i'm loosing track of what you are talking about...
just because they knew humanity had the Winslow does not mean they knew exactly where it was kept... they may find themselves searching all over earth for the damn thing... along with a few thousand other races.... but this doesn't matter as The winslow would now be in the prime mover's hands and will be given to a new guardian, and thus the winslow will be beyond their reach

So yeah, I'm not giving Par a pass here. This is turning into one of those plans that result in losing your hat - by definition, a bad plan; (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20031017) the only person Par is saving is going to be himself - the Beemahs could still serve as Secret Station Security, but as a free race instead of one oppressed by Par.
The beemahs have made it very clear that what they want is to leave the station (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090127)... they do not like the life style and want better (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090129)

as such, the beemahs are unlikely to agree to such a thing, and also Par looses control over them which in turn leaves room for risk... especially if they are made self-sufficient, as this could lead to beemahs having individual thinking and thus lead them to do unpredictable things.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-26, 02:14 AM
The beemahs have made it very clear that what they want is to leave the station (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090127)... they do not like the life style and want better (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20090129)

as such, the beemahs are unlikely to agree to such a thing, and also Par looses control over them which in turn leaves room for risk... especially if they are made self-sufficient, as this could lead to beemahs having individual thinking and thus lead them to do unpredictable things.
Well now, much of the reason that the Beemahs want to leave the Station is because of Par; the Prime Mover's protection alone is similarly restricting.

But think of them now. They have a sponsor, who will grant them self-sufficiency. After being fixed, the bulk of Beemahs can leave and colonize new planets or whatnot - but some can remain on the Station, secretly employed as Station security. In return, the Station pays them a wage that can help fund Beemah exploration and development, and they continue to have a perfect security system. Considering their alliance with the Kleg (who nobody likes) the Beemahs should be able to be smuggled out on Kleg ships with little chance of detection.

No, I think that the Beemahs could have their cake and eat it too.

DigoDragon
2009-04-27, 11:58 AM
I like how Hyraxx is the only one that doesn't flinch when Par's weapon hits the mover's shield. Also the little bit about Ominpotance in the pants... :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2009-04-27, 02:57 PM
Par and the Prime Mover remind me of an old, argumentative, gay couple.:smallamused:

chionophile
2009-04-27, 08:50 PM
Sneaky shiftspace gate is open. Just letting y'all know.

Rockphed
2009-04-27, 11:01 PM
Did the Prime Mover just get beaten by a team of extra-dimensional oddities? Or is this just round 1 in a 10 round fight?

BRC
2009-04-27, 11:02 PM
There is something odd about the Uglib. Either they are very loyal to their employer (And recognize Par as their employer instead of the Prime Mover), or they know something we don't.

FoE
2009-04-27, 11:12 PM
Whoa. :smalleek:

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-27, 11:13 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but when Hyraxx yells "RUN!", I'm outta here. :smalleek:

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-27, 11:15 PM
There is something odd about the Uglib. Either they are very loyal to their employer (And recognize Par as their employer instead of the Prime Mover), or they know something we don't.

Of course they know something we don't. They can see through time.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-27, 11:23 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but when Hyraxx yells "RUN!", I'm outta here. :smalleek:
Word.

I can't wait until we reach this point in Girl Genius :smallbiggrin:

chionophile
2009-04-27, 11:43 PM
Word.

I can't wait until we reach this point in Girl Genius :smallbiggrin:

Is that when Higgs yells run?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-27, 11:47 PM
Is that when Higgs yells run?
Oh yes :smallbiggrin:

Midnight Lurker
2009-04-28, 12:50 AM
When Higgs reaches that stage, everyone around him will already be too dead to hear the warning. :smallamused:

lord_khaine
2009-04-28, 05:05 AM
Par and the Prime Mover remind me of an old, argumentative, gay couple.

do we have any evidence for the gender of either Par or tPM?

Did the Prime Mover just get beaten by a team of extra-dimensional oddities? Or is this just round 1 in a 10 round fight?

so far it seems they have only managet to annoy him, by throwing him out of his bath, i dont see any sort of injuries.

Gez
2009-04-28, 05:25 AM
so far it seems they have only managet to annoy him, by throwing him out of his bath, i dont see any sort of injuries.

You're missing the point. The point is that he had to dodge. Instead of just saying "stop" and magically blocking the attack. He is not omnipotent against them.

sihnfahl
2009-04-28, 07:33 AM
The point is that he had to dodge.
Doesn't look like he dodged. It just looks like the uglib did something he didn't expect and they blew him out of his bathtub.

He invoked a trope: "What can you possibly do..."

To which the usual reply is something that catches the speaker offguard and tosses them on their butt.

lord_khaine
2009-04-28, 09:46 AM
You're missing the point. The point is that he had to dodge. Instead of just saying "stop" and magically blocking the attack. He is not omnipotent against them.

im not missing anything, so far all they have done is to defeat his bathtub, before the actualy manage to do something to tPM im not going to considder them a threat to him.

Gez
2009-04-28, 10:11 AM
Look at it this way. PM is an omnipotent creature who can create planets within a space station, stop firearms, and prevent extinctions from any cause in entire species.

Did he choose to let the Uligb blow his bathtub? Did he want to have his bathtub destroyed? If so, then yeah you're right. But if not...

TigerHunter
2009-04-28, 12:47 PM
do we have any evidence for the gender of either Par or tPM?
Both are referred to as "he", and we've heard other Prime Movers referred to as "she". I suppose it's possible that Par's species is asexual or hermaphroditic, and people refer to him as a he because "it" sounds condescending.

FoE
2009-04-28, 01:44 PM
He looks pretty surprised being flung into the air like that. I don't think he intended that to happen. Given that he hasn't anticipated most of the events of this storyline (the appearance of the Winslow, for example, or the revelation that Par didn't know how the garbage disposal worked), he's definitely not omniscient.

Can he be killed? There's an old saying from Conan the Barbarian: if it bleeds, it can die. And the Prime Mover is a corporeal being, albeit an immensely powerful one; why else would he need baths? Perhaps he can be injured when faced with creatures as powerful and so far removed from our own perception of reality as the Uligb.

Or maybe that blast just stunned him. Either way, we'll find out soon, won't we?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-28, 01:49 PM
Or maybe that blast just stunned him. Either way, we'll find out soon, won't we?
I'm banking on stunned.

After all, when you're universally regarded as omnipotent, how often do you actually have to deal with threats? Particularly threats from an unexpected angle?

I'm thinking he'll pull a "Doctor Manhattan" in a page or two :smallbiggrin:

hajo
2009-04-28, 04:53 PM

I could imagine that it was Hyraxx that gave a kick to the bathtub, to emphasize shouting "RUN" :smallbiggrin:
Giving the PM a kickstart :smallamused:

eee
2009-04-28, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking he'll pull a "Doctor Manhattan" in a page or two :smallbiggrin:

He's already naked and bald. All he'll have to do is turn blue and he'll have it down pat! :smallbiggrin:

My concern is that while the PM and the Uligb (who, to judge from their comments, may not expect to win or even survive this) are mixing it up, Par will try to eliminate Buck and co. And if his gun is still disabled, it may come down to hand to hand, Par vs. Buck. THAT would be interesting.

Hyraxx should be having lots to film for a while.

(I wonder if Whreee was able to contact his government even with the Kleg embassy in lock up. If so, then all this is probably a waste of time, as Par's secret may already be out and Kleg central informed about the Beemahs. Par may not realize that, though. Or, if communications were cut off, he may still be struggling because he still sees a chance to save the situation...)

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-28, 08:37 PM
My concern is that while the PM and the Uligb (who, to judge from their comments, may not expect to win or even survive this) are mixing it up, Par will try to eliminate Buck and co. And if his gun is still disabled, it may come down to hand to hand, Par vs. Buck. THAT would be interesting.

Hyraxx should be having lots to film for a while.
I'm seeing a grand melee with Hyraxx stepping in for some Back To Back Badass (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BackToBackBadasses) action with Buck. Boss Beemah is definitely going to take some shots at Par, but he'll probably be disabled first - Par definitely will have some Beemah countermeasures.

Everyone else is going to be diving for cover - and hopefully someone will use The Winslow as a shield :smalltongue:

sihnfahl
2009-04-29, 07:57 AM
Everyone else is going to be diving for cover - and hopefully someone will use The Winslow as a shield :smalltongue:
Oh, no, heavens. The winslow won't be used as a shield.
Indestructible and immortal thing that apparently feels no pain? Buck's gonna use it as a -mace-.

FoE
2009-04-29, 11:44 AM
Oh, no, heavens. The winslow won't be used as a shield.
Indestructible and immortal thing that apparently feels no pain? Buck's gonna use it as a -mace-.

It's essentially a sentient stuffed animal. Even if's indestructible, that's one piss-poor club.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-29, 12:45 PM
It's essentially a sentient stuffed animal. Even if's indestructible, that's one piss-poor club.
Not if you feed it a lot of neutronium first :smallbiggrin:

lord_khaine
2009-04-29, 03:51 PM
I'm banking on stunned.

After all, when you're universally regarded as omnipotent, how often do you actually have to deal with threats? Particularly threats from an unexpected angle?

ill bet 25 popsicles on tPm just being shocked at anyone daring to assult his bathtub.

TigerHunter
2009-04-29, 11:19 PM
And the final panel of the new comic easily trumps that.