PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [New Feat] Giantkind

Cikomyr2
2021-06-17, 02:08 PM
Giantkind

Your exposure to the Giant's magic has changed you, granting you the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

You learn the Enlarge/Reduce spell (only Enlarge version) and one 1st-level spell of your choice. The 1st-level spell must be from the Evocation or Transmutation school of magic from the Wizard, Sorcerer or Warlock spell list. You can cast each of these spells without expending a spell slot. Once you cast either of these spells in this way, you can’t cast that spell in this way again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast these spells using spell slots you have of the appropriate level. The spells’ spellcasting ability is the ability increased by this feat.

MrStabby
2021-06-18, 07:11 AM
I can't see any immediate problems with it. Is here a reason for restricting the spell class?

One thing I might be tempted to do as an alternative is make it Enlarge/Reduce and a spell that corresponds to Giant type? The elf magic feats can give spells up to 3rd level so you could push it a bit higher.

Fog Cloud, Heat Metal, Spike Growth, Maximillian's earthen grasp, Earthbind, levitate...

JeenLeen
2021-06-18, 07:48 AM
You can cast each of these spells without expending a spell slot. Once you cast either of these spells in this way, you can’t cast that spell in this way again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast these spells using spell slots you have of the appropriate level.

At first I read the "in this way" as "in any way"... and was going to note confusion, but now I reread it and see it as really saying what you intended.
I guess I'm only still commenting because you should make sure your players understand the intent, but it seems pretty clear: basically get 1 free casting of Enlarge Person and another spell (usable 1/long rest). In addition, if you have spellcasting ability, you can use those spells at their appropriate level.

If it wouldn't go too much against the usual grammar of 5e patterning, I recommend changing the first period in what I quoted to a semi-colon. It would more strongly tie together the first two sentences, making it clear the "this way" is the bonus spell usage, and making a harder divide between that and using existing spellcasting ability. Not necessary at all; it's just an idea to reinforce what is already stated.

If someone already knows Enlarge/Reduce Person, would they (in end results) simply gain a free use of the Enlarge version, plus learning another 1st-level spell.

The spells’ spellcasting ability is the ability increased by this feat.

I get what this means, but feel like it could be worded better. Unless there's a precedent with other feats that use similar language.

Cikomyr2
2021-06-18, 09:24 AM
Edit: Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it coming! :smallbiggrin:

I can't see any immediate problems with it. Is here a reason for restricting the spell class?

Yes, I did not wanted arcane caster to get healing spells with this. I thought transmutation and evocation was a good "giant" feel of spells (with fire, frost, etc..) but I didn't wanted to have healing to factor into it.

One thing I might be tempted to do as an alternative is make it Enlarge/Reduce and a spell that corresponds to Giant type? The elf magic feats can give spells up to 3rd level so you could push it a bit higher.

Fog Cloud, Heat Metal, Spike Growth, Maximillian's earthen grasp, Earthbind, levitate...

I was trying to recreate the feel of the Rune Knight, so emphasizing on "Enlarge" as the keystone spell was a no-brainer for me. Also, the "Enlarge" spell is already a spell available to basic race (the Duergar), so I thought it was therefore not considered game breaking even in the base game.

Your idea would be more appropriate for Elemental-Genasi flavored feat instead?

At first I read the "in this way" as "in any way"... and was going to note confusion, but now I reread it and see it as really saying what you intended.
I guess I'm only still commenting because you should make sure your players understand the intent, but it seems pretty clear: basically get 1 free casting of Enlarge Person and another spell (usable 1/long rest). In addition, if you have spellcasting ability, you can use those spells at their appropriate level.

If it wouldn't go too much against the usual grammar of 5e patterning, I recommend changing the first period in what I quoted to a semi-colon. It would more strongly tie together the first two sentences, making it clear the "this way" is the bonus spell usage, and making a harder divide between that and using existing spellcasting ability. Not necessary at all; it's just an idea to reinforce what is already stated.

If someone already knows Enlarge/Reduce Person, would they (in end results) simply gain a free use of the Enlarge version, plus learning another 1st-level spell.

I get what this means, but feel like it could be worded better. Unless there's a precedent with other feats that use similar language.

I literally copied/pasted the Feytouched feat found on Wikidot: (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/feat:fey-touched)

Fey Touched

Source: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

Your exposure to the Feywild's magic has changed you, granting you the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

You learn the Misty Step spell and one 1st-level spell of your choice. The 1st-level spell must be from the Divination or Enchantment school of magic. You can cast each of these spells without expending a spell slot. Once you cast either of these spells in this way, you can’t cast that spell in this way again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast these spells using spell slots you have of the appropriate level. The spells’ spellcasting ability is the ability increased by this feat.

I just removed the name of the spell allowed, I changed the schools available for the 1st level spell, and I added the Wizard/Warlock/Sorcerer limitations to disallow healing spells.