PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Merriment Domain Cleric (Alcohol Cleric)

werescythe
2021-06-17, 10:36 PM
Just a fun cleric domain based around drinking and the joys that such a deity might have. Imagine being drunk and pulling the drunken hallucination into the real world.

Merriment Domain Cleric (https://docs.google.com/document/d/13YfiAj1wSFxF9Cw2Nh86gNiDY-wTux4vhI_k6IIjvY8/edit?usp=sharing)

This domain could probably use some work, so feel free to offer some constructive criticism to improve the subclass. :smallsmile:

sandmote
2021-06-18, 03:33 PM
I think the bonus(es) for being drunk/poisoned are a little odd. Basically, you have to take a pretty severe penalty to gain some minor benefits, so I don't see how often they'd be used. I suppose that (on average) getting +5 to charisma skills and disadvantage on them at the same time is a net bonus to those checks, but I don't see when you'd actually want to risk it. This doesn't really do enough to let you serve as the party face at any point, and it doesn't add any bonus to plying someone with booze until you have an advantage over them. I'd maybe replace it with some feature that lets you help the party face, like letting you penalize another creature that's drunk/poisoned when they make a contested roll. Like the default Help action but reversed, where you inflict disadvantage on the target.

I think that's all I have to note conceptually. On to housekeeping:

Drunken Tongue should probably borrow formatting from the grave domain:

In addition, you learn the Spare the Dying cantrip, which doesn't count against the number of cleric cantrips you know. Swap that out with the Minor Illusion cantrip and you're probably fine.

I don't see an action cost listed for the channel divinity option. I assume it's supposed to be part of the action you make to cast the spell?

I'd simplify Tipsy redirection as follows:

On a failed save, the attack against you misses and the creature must reroll the attack against a creature of your choice within range.
Or "within range and within 10 feet of you.

Auras are Paladin things and this doesn't work the same way. Perhaps change the name to "Paragon of Revelry and Drunkenness?" And 5e doesn't have "resistance" to status conditions like being poisoned.

MrStabby
2021-06-19, 12:45 PM
No resistance to conditions, but look at the dwarf that has advantage on saves vs being poisoned (if my memory serves).