PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the eldritch sniper concept

Greywander
2021-06-20, 01:22 AM
This was a character concept I had a while back (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?613151-Eldritch-sniper-build), and I thought I'd revisit the idea to see if we can do better now.

The background is a commoner who was conscripted into an army, taught to shoot magical bolts from a "mage rifle" (staff), and spent most of the war shooting in the general direction of the enemy while trying not to get killed. Now, he's an adventurer who makes his living as a crack shot with his mage rifle.

Ideally, what we're looking for is:

Range, and lots of it. As long range as we can get.
Damage, preferably something along the lines of Sneak Attack, but I'm not aware of any such feature that works with spells.
Anything that works well with a ranged sniper concept, e.g. the ability to hide as a BA, increased crit range or crit effects, or being resistant to enemy ranged attacks.

Eldritch Blast has a base range of 120 feet, generally the furthest you'll get on a cantrip. Eldritch Spear extends this to 300 feet, and Spell Sniper doubles that to 600 feet. The Distant Spell metamagic can double that again for a total range of 1200 feet. There's also an optional rule on page 114 of the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron that allows you to get a 50% range boost on your cantrips if you two-hand your spell focus, which, if permitted by the DM, would boost us up to 900/1800 feet, depending on if we're using Distant Spell. Honestly, I'd like to try to find a way to boost it even further, but I think this is the max we can get RAW.

As for damage, EB with Agonizing Blast has a base damage of 1d10 + 5 per beam (assuming a CHA of 20). With four beams, the average damage is 42, which is pretty respectable, but doesn't quite have the impact of a single big hit like Sneak Attack. Hex adds a 1d6 of damage to each hit, but has a measly 90 foot range; it's useful in close quarters, but less helpful with the "sniper" concept. For EB optimization, Hexblade is probably the strongest subclass, but Hexblade's Curse has the same issue as Hex, but with an even shorter 30 foot range.

If, instead of Hexblade, we go Genie patron, Genie's Wrath adds our proficiency bonus to one attack, and lets us choose between fire, cold, thunder, or bludgeoning for the damage type. It's unfortunate that it only adds to one attack and not all of them, but it's better than splitting the damage evenly between your attacks. Instead of comparing it to Agonizing Blast, compare it to the Dueling fighting style. In tier 1, they're basically the same (both get +2), while at 20th level the fighter is getting +8 damage split across four attacks to the warlock's +6 to a single attack. Each attack the fighter misses sees a loss in the amount of bonus damage, while the warlock gets to apply the full bonus so long as at least one beam hits. I heard somewhere that the average expected hit rate for attack rolls was about 65%, which would make the warlock pull ahead. It's also nice to get most of our damage from our first hit, so a few missed beams don't hurt quite as much.

Genie's Wrath can also synergize with Draconic sorcerer. If we take either fire or cold for our Genie and our Draconic Ancestry, then Elemental Affinity will add our CHA mod to one of our beams again. Again, it sadly only adds to one beam, but it's still a decent boost. Genie's Wrath + Elemental Affinity adds a total of +11 damage, which basically amounts to an extra beam's worth, and it auto-hits as long as we can hit with one attack. So basically our first beam does double damage, which is great for reliability, and also helps to simulate a Sneak Attack-like effect.

There's also a potential synergy with the Alchemist artificer, who's 5th level feature Alchemical Savant can add our INT mod to a spell that deals fire damage, much like Elemental Affinity. The catch is that the spell has to be cast using our alchemy supplies as our spellcasting focus (which, IMO, is dumb). The Artificer Initiate feat would allow us to use a tool as a spellcasting focus for non-artificer spells, but the spell needs to use INT as a casting stat for this to work. Even if your DM is lenient and waives the tool requirement to apply Alchemical Savant, you would still end up needing to boost both INT and CHA (unless the DM is super lenient and lets you play an INT based warlock and sorcerer).

The holy grail would be finding a way to get Eldritch Blast as a cleric spell so that we can apply Potent Spellcasting to it. However, no such way currently exists that I'm aware of, and besides, you'd have the same problem as with the artificer where you needed to max both CHA and another stat (WIS, in this case). However, Tasha's lets us replace Divine Strike and Potent Spellcasting with Blessed Strikes, which adds 1d8 radiant damage to any attack or spell (once on each of our turns). So we could get another 1d8 damage on that first beam, and radiant is a good damage type that can help thwart certain enemies, like vampires, and it doesn't care about our WIS. Unfortunately, it's an 8th level feature, so you basically have to commit to a warlock/cleric multiclass.

It's not much, but a 3 level dip into Assassin rogue insures that we crit against surprised enemies. Though to take advantage of this we'd need to have more damage dice, and so far we've added almost nothing but flat bonuses. And on that note...

This was all I could find on the class side of things, though I'm sure I missed a few things (especially temporary/limited use bonuses). However, in the realm of racial traits, the bugbear has Surprise Attack, which adds 2d6 damage to their first attack against a surprised creature. While this won't help much in protracted fights, it's perfect for eliminating sentries and patrols, or any other kind of short skirmish or ambush against one or a few enemies (and it synergizes well with Assassinate). There's also the goblin's Fury of the Small and the aasimar's subrace trait, both of which allow you to do additional damage equal to your level. However, they recharge on a rest, so while they're a bit stronger, they can't be used as reliably. They would work better if you're only fighting one or two fights between rests.

With Genie's Wrath + Elemental Affinity + Surprise Attack (which seems like a realistic loadout), we'd be dealing 1d10 + 2d6 + 16 damage with our initial bolt, or an average of 28.5 (21.5 after the first round). Keep in mind that with just Agonizing Blast, our average damage is 42 if all four beams hit. With a hit rate of 65%, our expected damage would drop to 29.1 (according to LudicSavant's calculator), meaning that with the previously mentioned traits we are doing nearly the same damage from just one beam as what we would expect from all four without those traits. Also according to the calculator, if our chance to hit is 65%, then we have a 98.5% chance that we hit with at least one attack. This gives us very reliable damage.

For actual builds, I'm considering either warlock 11/sorcerer 9 or sorcerer 11/warlock 9. (Chain Pact for long distance spotter familiar.) The benefit of taking warlock to 11 is getting that 10th level patron feature and a 3rd pact magic slot. The benefit of taking sorcerer to 11 is getting another metamagic and a few more sorcery points. Either way gives me 5 invocations, which would likely be spent on Agonizing Blast, Eldritch Spear, Repelling Blast, Voice of the Chain Master, and one other (Grasp of Hadar or Lance of Lethargy, maybe?). For metamagic, probably Distant and Quickened. I could try to jam 3 levels of rogue in there somewhere, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

This might be a good place to use a simple custom race (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?629700-Simple-custom-races). This is homebrew, so it would be DM dependent, but hopefully it would be apparent that this isn't the most overpowered combo. Our three racial traits could be the bugbear's Surprise Attack, the goblin's Nimble Escape, and then perhaps the wood elf's Mask of the Wild. A simple custom race allows us to choose any racial feats, but limits us to two, so Elven Accuracy is the optimal choice. Not sure what I'd take for a second racial feat, or if I'd take one at all, maybe Infernal Constitution (since we'd get fire resistance via genielock), but I might rather have something like Alert or Skulker. Spell Sniper is also a mandatory feat, leaving us with one last ASI to max out CHA.

There's also one magic item that would be crucial for us: the Eyes of the Eagle. They allow us to see out to extreme distances things that are as small as 2 feet across, which is perfect for sniping from far away. Alternatively, we could perhaps mount a spyglass onto our staff like a scope, though I don't know if that would have the effect we're looking for (spyglass is only 2x zoom).

Do you think it's worth it to take the Genie patron and Draconic bloodline, or would different subclasses work better for this concept, despite the loss in damage? Should I try to fit three levels of rogue in there for Stealth expertise, Cunning Action, and Assassinate? Is there a different class combo you'd recommend? What other ways can this concept be improved upon?

Toadkiller
2021-06-20, 01:39 AM
For sentries repelling blast might be useful to push them from their perch. Or the pulling version maybe. Damage isn’t always what you need.

Kane0
2021-06-20, 06:14 AM
Fire genie lock + fire dragon sorc with distant and empowered sounds like a fine setup, you wont be lacking for range/damage output even if you skip hex and take mostly utility spells and just a few AoE or CC for close combat. If you want a sniper assassin then you will need some stealth and recon ability, id take those 3 rogue levels as soon as you can squeeze them in, probably as soon as you have the basic agonizing eldrirch spear and maybe an ASI.
Those rogue levels get you cunning action and expertise as well as assassinate so i wluld put three levels there especially if you pick up mask of many faces, misty visions or beguiling influence to suplement them. That would also free up a custom race feature that you can use on something else, hopefully something really flavorul to bring the concept home. Tashas rogue also lets you use your BA to get advantage on a shot for standing still, a useful trick for a sniper though cant remember if there is a range limit on it

Graybender
2021-06-20, 06:36 AM
I'd recommend swarm keeper Ranger gives an extra 1d6 and more movement abilities

Bobthewizard
2021-06-20, 09:55 AM
I'd go Warlock 2 for Agonizing blast and Eldritch Spear. Then sorcerer 18 for access to foresight and metamagic. Quicken, Distant for range, and Empowered to increase average damage. For feats take Spell sniper of course and elven accuracy. Now you are throwing 8 attacks with triple advantage, and rerolling low damage dice.

Add a +3 Rod of the Pact Keeper, +3 Bloodwell Vial, and a +3 Wand of the War Mage and you should always hit.

da newt
2021-06-20, 09:58 AM
When I tried to play a build for sniping from range I found that in practice line of sight and lighting were often my limiting factor for range. It was a rare combat where I could see a target from more than 120' away even with eyes of the eagle. A significant range advantage is great outside with daylight if there are no trees, hills, buildings, walls, trenches, bushes, carts, clothes lines, ships, tall grass, ...

In my experience the sniper worked much better in a white room than it did in game.

For a sniper build I'd prioritize flight and speed for kiting, and wouldn't worry about ranges beyond ~200'

whateew
2021-06-20, 12:19 PM
I hate to be a bore and not answer your question given, but a way, way easier way of doing this would be to go for a ranged armourer artificer. You don't get the super nuts eldritch snipes, but you can use sharpshooter with that. If you really want spell sniper, the armour is incredibly SAD and can afford that too. If you multiclass warlock 2, you can take your very long range eldritch blasts, and with the new artificer +1 item you can cast that with Int too.

LordShade
2021-06-20, 12:40 PM
Slightly off-topic, but the Genie's Wrath+Fire Dragon Sorc combo should work with Tomelock+shillelagh+GFB, right?

Seems Genielock is an alternative to Celestial for this combo.

Greywander
2021-06-20, 02:23 PM
For sentries repelling blast might be useful to push them from their perch. Or the pulling version maybe. Damage isn’t always what you need.
Yup, Repelling Blast is definitely worth grabbing, otherwise EB is just damage. Repelling Blast allows EB to be a control spell, too, and a pretty strong one given the right circumstances. Most other methods of forced movement give a save or have size restrictions, but Repelling Blast only requires you to hit your target.

Fire genie lock + fire dragon sorc with distant and empowered sounds like a fine setup, [...] id take those 3 rogue levels as soon as you can squeeze them in, probably as soon as you have the basic agonizing eldrirch spear and maybe an ASI.
Tashas rogue also lets you use your BA to get advantage on a shot for standing still, a useful trick for a sniper though cant remember if there is a range limit on it
Yeah, even without the extreme range, this should still function very much like a half caster archer. It sounds like I should really try to fit those rogue levels in there somehow, so I'll see where that would fit best.

Steady Aim should work for EB at any distance, but it only gives advantage to one attack roll. I'm a little unclear on how being hidden interacts with multiple attacks, it seems like your first attack gives you away, and you wouldn't get advantage on any of your followup attacks. Then again, while weapon attacks are strictly sequential, I've seen an argument that EB is simultaneous, requiring you to pick the targets for all four beams before making any attack rolls, in which case it makes sense that being hidden would give advantage on all four attacks. If so, then hiding should be better than using Steady Aim. Seems like this falls into the realm of "ask your DM".

I'd recommend swarm keeper Ranger gives an extra 1d6 and more movement abilities
Good catch, I missed that one. It's also available much sooner than most of the other damage boosting class features I mentioned, with only Genie's Wrath being available sooner. I'm not sure it's worth the dip, the main reason I'd rather dip into sorcerer is because I want the metamagic, so being able to grab Elemental Affinity at the same time is a bonus, but I'm not sure I'd get enough from ranger to justify spending 3 levels. That said, anyone with a similar concept might decide that ranger fits their concept better than sorcerer does.

I'd go Warlock 2 for Agonizing blast and Eldritch Spear. Then sorcerer 18 for access to foresight and metamagic. Quicken, Distant for range, and Empowered to increase average damage. For feats take Spell sniper of course and elven accuracy. Now you are throwing 8 attacks with triple advantage, and rerolling low damage dice.

Add a +3 Rod of the Pact Keeper, +3 Bloodwell Vial, and a +3 Wand of the War Mage and you should always hit.
I would probably want a third invocation for Repelling Blast, and Pact of the Chain can provide an invisible flying spotter that can help me find targets from very far away, but would require a fourth invocation. As such, the earliest I could stop in warlock is 7th level, unless I get the Eldritch Adept feat. Still, dipping out at 7th level instead of 9th could give me the levels I need for a rogue dip or something.

Sadly, Rod of the Pact Keeper only applies to warlock spells, and the Bloodwell Vial only applies to sorcerer spells. Both are very good in that they boost your spell save DC, but it would probably be better for me to look for magic items that would apply to all my spells. That said, if these items were to drop, I would of course use them until I found something better. A Robe of the Archmage would apply to all my spell saves, as well as providing several other benefits.

When I tried to play a build for sniping from range I found that in practice line of sight and lighting were often my limiting factor for range.

For a sniper build I'd prioritize flight and speed for kiting, and wouldn't worry about ranges beyond ~200'
This is about what I'd expect, which is why it's important to make sure I can also contribute effectively in closer quarters. That said, boosting my range doesn't require a massive investment, and thus isn't taking much away from other aspects of my character. Spell Sniper is still useful in close quarters, as it lets me ignore all but full cover, and it doubles the range of other spells besides EB. Distant Spell can also be used with other spells, particularly touch range spells, allowing me to use them while staying out of melee range. The only one that's truly superfluous is Eldritch Spear, and I think it's worth it to support the concept, as well as for the rare occasions it does make a difference. Sometimes simply being able to do something opens up a choice that you wouldn't have otherwise considered.

Genielocks also get concentration-free flight at 6th level, and if I dip into rogue I'd get Cunning Action for a BA dash. Combined with Repelling Blast, I could be very effective at kiting, though I'm not sure how effective kiting is when the enemy could just go after a party member.

I hate to be a bore and not answer your question given, but a way, way easier way of doing this would be to go for a ranged armourer artificer.
Armorers are pretty neat, but nothing there seems to support the concept. Not saying it's a bad build, it's just not what I'm looking for.

Slightly off-topic, but the Genie's Wrath+Fire Dragon Sorc combo should work with Tomelock+shillelagh+GFB, right?
It doesn't even need to be GFB, it could be BB instead. Because Genie's Wrath would add fire damage to your attack, it would still trigger Elemental Affinity. Now, if you're a tiefling with Flames of Phlegethos, then you'd want to be rolling more fire damage dice, so GFB might still work better. Alternatively, you could do a non-efreet patron so that you can add a different damage type to your attack, and then GFB would provide the fire damage to trigger Elemental Affinity.

Lokishade
2021-06-20, 03:09 PM
At this range, you're gonna need a spotter to even be able to see in most situations. That means Pact of the Chain. (Invisible Imp for safety or a flying familiar for fast deployment.)

As for resistance against ranged attacks, offense is your defense. You're gonna out range almost everything you encounter, because the DM can only throw so many Sniper Feat archers and Meteor Swarm slinging mages at you. With 600 ft to cover, you get to severely delay any retaliation with Repelling Blast.

For spells, get utility, like Invisibility and Darkness so you can always attack with advantage from your dark bubble or reposition yourself 600ft away without any fear of reprisal. You may not pack the punch you'd like with just Agonizing Blast, but you can attack almost anything with impunity. Getting to you is a pain and you can cheese your enemies once or twice per encounter with invisible repositionment after playing cat and eldritch mouse inside your dark bubble.

At this point, adding Sneak Attack would make any other Rogue build obsolete.

Grimmgrin
2021-10-03, 03:17 PM
As for a race you could go Scourge Aasimar for the Radiant Consumption feature that lets you add Radiant damage equal to your level to your Eldritch Blasts. That in conjunction with agonizing blast + the genie /draconic bloodline would add 36 to your first Eldritch blast beam.