PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Infantilise

MrStabby
2021-06-20, 05:03 PM
2nd-level enchantment

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a small gourd filled with seeds)
Duration: 1 minute

You cause up to three creatures you can see to regress to an infantile state. These creatures must make a intelligence save or fall prone. Whilst prone they may not stand up for the duration of the spell and may only crawl. Furthermore it is challenging for the targets to cast spells with a verbal component through the incoherent babbling; such spells make all attack rolls at disadvantage and saves against such spells are made with advantage.

At the end of a target's turn they may repeat the save to end the effect.

First pass at a spell... thought I would share it. As always any comments are appreciated.

Trask
2021-06-20, 06:09 PM
Up to three sounds like it might be a little too good, I might say two. But otherwise it seems pretty good and humorous in the way that only D&D magic can be. Good idea. It reminds me of a homebrewed polymorph that a friend of mine uses on his wizard that turns the victim into a baby version of itself.

MrStabby
2021-06-20, 06:23 PM
Up to three sounds like it might be a little too good, I might say two. But otherwise it seems pretty good and humorous in the way that only D&D magic can be. Good idea. It reminds me of a homebrewed polymorph that a friend of mine uses on his wizard that turns the victim into a baby version of itself.

Yeah, it is hard to benchmark it... bane is less impactful but is a lower level and doesn't allow repeated saves. Faerie fire can hit multiple and give advantage on attacks against them, but doesn't give them advantage (and is lower level).

Web seems the closest - it is the same level and hits many targets and likewise stops them closing AND gives them disadvantage on melee attacks and advantage against them from melee attacks. Web has the advantage of also giving difficult terrain so good even with a successful save, also hinders ranged attacks and doesn't help protect the target from ranged attacks, but does litle against spellcasters. In terms of making it stick (pun totally intended) Web has subsequent rounds being a check not a save (and eating an action to do so) which is good but uses Str/Dex overall rather than Int (which, depending on the campaign might be a big deal). Also 1hr duaration for web, but I will admit this has never been relevant for me.

I guess the 1hr duration might be useful as ability checks dont automatically succeed on a natural 20 so there might be some weak characters you can restrain for the duration and leave trapped.

werescythe
2021-06-20, 07:10 PM
I'd say make that it affects 1 target but that when it is up cast using higher level spell slots that it increases the number of creatures that can be targeted. So using a fourth level spell slot would allow you to target 3 creatures.

MrStabby
2021-06-20, 07:35 PM
I'd say make that it affects 1 target but that when it is up cast using higher level spell slots that it increases the number of creatures that can be targeted. So using a fourth level spell slot would allow you to target 3 creatures.

One target seems a bit weak... 2nd level spells that apply conditions to one target are things like hold person that paralyze the target or Blindness/deafness that gives all the same advantage/disadvantage bur doesn't need concenration. Indeed as a single target spell it would seem to be worse than Tasha's Hideous Laughter which is a level 1 spell and would not allow any action and would break concentration on spells.

Being able to upcast to more targets is nice, but I feel it would not be competative at any spell level if it just began at a single target.

werescythe
2021-06-25, 11:03 PM
I think that the fact that it doesn't use concentration (which some might actually consider to be a bit broken considering the nature of this spell) and the fact that you don't need to maintain the line of sight (so you could literally do this to someone and walk away) and the fact that it uses Intelligence (which is fairly rare when it comes to creatures who are proficient with this save), would make it a fairly powerful spell. In fact, it might be considered more powerful than Hold Person.

So I still think that the one target and up cast for more should be fine.

MrStabby
2021-06-26, 03:34 AM
I think that the fact that it doesn't use concentration (which some might actually consider to be a bit broken considering the nature of this spell) and the fact that you don't need to maintain the line of sight (so you could literally do this to someone and walk away) and the fact that it uses Intelligence (which is fairly rare when it comes to creatures who are proficient with this save), would make it a fairly powerful spell. In fact, it might be considered more powerful than Hold Person.

So I still think that the one target and up cast for more should be fine.

Oh right, you are absolutely right. This had been intended to be concentration and I forgot to add that.