PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Tenser's Aprentice, melee caster build help

moonfly7
2021-06-21, 09:38 AM
One of our groups DM's is starting up a new game, and he's making the story revolve a lot around the characters we build, and encouraging us to create richer backstories he can connect together for the plot.

As the title says, I'm currently going to play the Apprentice of the wizard Tenser, who exists in the DM's homebrew world, as do the rest of the circle of 8, but in a modified capacity. Specifically for tenser, he's dead. We took his death at the hands of raury in the old modules and ran with it, choosing to not use the module that brought him back. This lets my character have a serious revenge story and a thirst for blood against Raury, who may or may not even be alive anymore.

With backstory out of the way, let me get right down to what I need help with: Character build. Story is fine, I have that down pat and I don't need help with it, but I can't seem to get a good build for the character that I actually like. We're starting at level 3, and all official DND published books are allowed, we use tashas racial variant rules and feats. we also roll stats on a 6 by 6 grid and choose a blcok from that, the block I took was as follows: 18, 16, 16, 9, 14, 13. I have already chosen race, which is going to be beast hide shifter for story reasons. Other than that I have no restrictions on what choices for class to make except that I would prefer to have levels in wizard, but it's looking more and more like I can't get what I want and do that. Oh and I can't go eldritch Knight, a friend already has one and I'm not stepping on toes.

I was originally convinced this build would be easy, go bladesinger, grab melee cantrips and good spells, and then have fun, but Bladesinger feels like it greatly restricts my playstyle to jumpy spinny dex character which I'm not sure I want, as Tenser always seemed like a more brutal fighter to me and thats how we portray him in the game. The problem is that without bladesingers 6th level ability I feel like I'm going to be forced to neglect one aspect of the character, either the melee or the magic. To keep the balanced combo feeling I'd either need to get metamagic with feats or levels, or rely on fighters action surge, something I would rather not do. The concern with falling behind isn't really an issue at 3-4 but once I hit 5 I'm either going to be feeling the lack of extra attack and be forced to rely almost solely on spells, or feel like I never use my spells and keep wacking with extra attack.

Anyways those are my concerns.

TLDR: I'm worried that not taking bladesinger could force me to choose casting ro melee over the other and feel like a nerfed caster or fighter instead of a fun combo, but I don't enjoy the restricitve nature of bladesinger.

Rentirith
2021-06-21, 10:28 AM
I know it is controversial and UA, but what about the lorehold subclass? You could get a minion to help tank for you, you get a modified version of extra attack similar to the bladesingers, you get spirit guardians as a spell, basically all the good stuff. You could theme the minion as an echo of Tenser or one of his other students perhaps.

Eldariel
2021-06-21, 10:40 AM
One option with Bladesinger is to just take Moderately Armored and go Strength singer: ignore Bladesong and Dex, use armor + shield and that great 6th level Extra Attack (or if you have incredible stats, just go triple attribute focus). On level 11 you can finally Magic Jar into Gloom Weaver, which allows you to Multiattack for spell + 2 attacks to combo them all on over-cantrip level (Bladesinger's Extra Attack enables other cantrips too like Minor Illusion and Mold Earth though, not just Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade). Though basic Bladesinger is pretty good for this: you fight while using Bladesong and cast the rest of the time. It gives you a good reason to use both.

The classic non-Bladesinger warrior casters get light armor from race (but Beasthide Shifter doesn't work with that), pick Moderately Armored and walk at things using Blade cantrips with Opportunity Attacks (War Caster) and as your combat cantrips while casting spells the rest of the time. This too greatly benefits of Magic Jar into Gloom Weaver once it becomes possible, enabling you to combine the two. Works exceptionally well with Abjurer (extra chunk of HP in the Ward), Necromancer (Grim Harvest to heal off your damage spells and Spirit Shroud and such), and War Wizard (in case you feel extra saves and AC are what the situation calls for).

chiefwaha
2021-06-21, 10:45 AM
I don't think there's any easy answer for what you're looking for...

My thought, if you're going solo wizard, would be a mountain dwarf abjuration wizard... End up with Dex 14, Strength 18, Int 20, Con 16, Wis 13, Cha 9. (or swap around as wanted... A melee wizard probably doesn't need a 20 INT necessarily)

Decent dwarf melee weapons, medium armor proficiency. Extra HP for your ward, so you're effectively getting Fighter HP. You'll rely on the melee cantrips to really keep your damage up, but you're still a full wizard.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot you have already chosen your race. This wouldn't work great, but as noted above, with your stats you could easily just pick up moderately armored and go sword and board bladesinger with a long sword.

moonfly7
2021-06-21, 10:47 AM
I know it is controversial and UA, but what about the lorehold subclass? You could get a minion to help tank for you, you get a modified version of extra attack similar to the bladesingers, you get spirit guardians as a spell, basically all the good stuff. You could theme the minion as an echo of Tenser or one of his other students perhaps.

I have never heard of that subclass

edit: just looked at it. that, that was a trip and a half. not sure how I feel abotu multiple class subclasses. regardless DM is pretty lenient generally but we prefer to not use UA.

Eldariel
2021-06-21, 10:54 AM
And Strength Singer isn't actually that bad. It has one huge boon: the ability to use a Quarterstaff as the weapon. This means that you can take Polearm Master to make use of that bonus action for attacking where you might otherwise not really have a use for it most of the time. Nothing of course stops you of two-handing and wielding a Glaive or such either but I do feel like that's mostly for great stats: if you don't have enough Dex, you do want an armor and a shield. The great thing about Quarterstaff is that it doubles as an Arcane Focus so you can use Quarterstaff and Shield at basically no cost.

If you specifically want to be a Beasthide Shifter, this feels like the only simple option that works. Without rolls, use that level 2 Light Armor proficiency to qualify for Moderately Armored on 4, pick 14 Dex, max Str and Int (and as much Con as you can afford, obviously) and go to town.

RedMage125
2021-06-21, 10:55 AM
OP: Not only is this great advice...

One option with Bladesinger is to just take Moderately Armored and go Strength singer
*more detailed good advice, snipped for length*

But it also fits with lore. Back in 2e, there were no "finesse" weapons, all melee characters used STR. And Bladesinger was a Fighter/Mage kit for Elves.

While it is probably the most optimal to go INT/DEX and use a finesse weapon, I would argue against the idea that Bladesinger was only "intended" for use with Finesse weapons.

Why?

Because under the discussion of "Bladesinger styles", we get mention of Longsword for Lion style...which is not a finesse weapon. Leopard and Red Tiger use shortsword and scimitar, respectively, which are both finesse weapons. Then there are the "Bird" styles, which use "hafted weapons". "Axes and hammers" are called out specifically, of which there 2 varieties of each in the "1 handed weapon" category, and Raven style uses a pick. None of which are Finesse weapons. Snake styles use a flail (not a finesse weapon), a chain (something that I can't even find 5e weapon stats for), and a whip (finally, another finesse weapon).

Use of a Rapier isn't prohibited, by any means (it is still a sword, and would thus logically be a "Cat" style), but isn't explicitly mentioned or called out.

So...for what the RAW says, in terms of weapon use by a Bladesinger, we have:
3 Finesse weapons called out (shortsword, scimitar, and whip), and 1 which can be assumed (rapier)
and
7 non-finesse weapons called out (longsword, handaxe, battleaxe, light hammer, warhammer, war pick, and flail), and 1 non-weapon (chain). That's not even counting every other one-handed "hafted weapon" which could also be inferred (javelin, mace, spear, morningstar, and trident). And inferring those has just as much validity as rapier.

So 7 out of 10 weapons that are explicitly named, and an additional 5 out of 6 that can be inferred (for a total of 12 out of 16) are NOT finesse weapons.

Being a STR Bladesinger is definitely in the rules.

Also, a note on lore, even though you said you were good, just because it could be an interesting point...
IIRC, Tenser canonically came back (Clone on the moon), but he kept his return a secret. He changed his name to Manzorian, and lives his life in a small keep with a little town nearby called either Mageport or Magepoint. So, maybe mention that to your DM, if he wants to use it, because Tenser may have come back, but let everyone think he was dead.

chiefwaha
2021-06-21, 10:59 AM
And Strength Singer isn't actually that bad. It has one huge boon: the ability to use a Quarterstaff as the weapon. This means that you can take Polearm Master to make use of that bonus action for attacking where you might otherwise not really have a use for it most of the time. Nothing of course stops you of two-handing and wielding a Glaive or such either but I do feel like that's mostly for great stats: if you don't have enough Dex, you do want an armor and a shield. The great thing about Quarterstaff is that it doubles as an Arcane Focus so you can use Quarterstaff and Shield at basically no cost.

If you specifically want to be a Beasthide Shifter, this feels like the only simple option that works. Without rolls, use that level 2 Light Armor proficiency to qualify for Moderately Armored on 4, pick 14 Dex, max Str and Int (and as much Con as you can afford, obviously) and go to town.

Well, getting proficiency with a two handed martial weapon is problematic for a bladesinger, but otherwise polearm master is a nice potential addition yeah.

RedMage125
2021-06-21, 11:05 AM
Well, getting proficiency with a two handed martial weapon is problematic for a bladesinger, but otherwise polearm master is a nice potential addition yeah.

Also, attacking with a weapon using 2 hands, even for a Versatile weapon, ends bladesong benefits.

So even using a quarterstaff, you're restricted to the d6 damage.

chiefwaha
2021-06-21, 11:08 AM
Also, attacking with a weapon using 2 hands, even for a Versatile weapon, ends bladesong benefits.

So even using a quarterstaff, you're restricted to the d6 damage.

Yeah, but the build Eldariel is suggesting throws out using Bladesong at all. Basically you're picking up polearm master to use a shield and get a bonus action attack as a strength based bladesinger.

RogueJK
2021-06-21, 11:09 AM
I'd do Fighter 1 or 2/Wizard X. STR 16+2 DEX 13+1, CON 16, INT 18, WIS 14, CHA 9

Fighter 1 (taken first) gets you martial weapons, medium or heavy armor and potentially a shield, a fighting style (likely Defense), CON save proficiency, and a tiny bit of emergency healing. Then Fighter 2 (probably wait until after Wizard 5ish) is an option to potentially get Action Surge.

Wizard from there. Unless you go Bladesinger you won't have Extra Attack, but you can make do with BB/GFB to help make up the difference. Or picking up PAM is another option to get a second melee attack.

As for Wizard subclass, Abjuration or Bladesong are likely your best bet, but there are a few other options. Abjuration meshes fairly well with a frontline melee fighter. Evocation lets you drop blast spells on top of your allies, and the 10th level Empowered Evocation ability can boost you BB/GFB's damage a bit by allowing you to add +INTMOD to the damage. The abovementioned STR-based Bladesinger ignoring Bladesong is certainly an option. War Wizard is thematically appropriate, but a bit lackluster in execution.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-21, 12:13 PM
Go Artificer (Battle Smith) 5/ Wizard 15, in that order, and you'll have everything you need.

RogueJK
2021-06-21, 12:36 PM
Go Artificer (Battle Smith) 5/ Wizard 15, in that order, and you'll have everything you need.

On a traditional character with a more normal stat array, I might agree. But the benefit of being INT SAD with Extra Attack is lessened on a character that's starting off with 18/16/16/14/13/9, and it's therefore not going to be worth the 5 level delay to your Wizard levels. Especially if you're going Bladesinger anyway, and getting a superior version of Extra Attack out of it. As it is, this character can afford to focus on maxing both STR and INT (since they can do both using just 2 more ASIs), plus potentially spend a feat on PAM too.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-06-21, 02:35 PM
On a traditional character with a more normal stat array, I might agree. But the benefit of being INT SAD with Extra Attack is lessened on a character that's starting off with 18/16/16/14/13/9, and it's therefore not going to be worth the 5 level delay to your Wizard levels. Especially if you're going Bladesinger anyway, and getting a superior version of Extra Attack out of it. As it is, this character can afford to focus on maxing both STR and INT (since they can do both using just 2 more ASIs), plus potentially spend a feat on PAM too.

He said he's not keen on Bladesinger, I suggested that as an alternative. This way he's free to use any Wizard subclass he likes, without needing to worry about it making him melee capable. Plus it gets him medium armor, shields, martial weapons, and Con saves, along with Int-based spellcasting progression.

RogueJK
2021-06-21, 02:43 PM
He said he's not keen on Bladesinger

They only said they weren't keen on Bladesinger if it meant being a "jumpy spinny DEX character". :smallwink:

It's since been pointed out that a muscular, armored, STR-based Bladesinger is also an option, if you're willing to toss out the benefits of Bladesong altogether. (And even without their primary Bladesong ability, Bladesinger still makes for a better gish than many of the other Wizard subclasses.)

Or, Extra Attack isn't strictly necessary if you take Polearm Master, and they can easily afford to spare the ASI for that feat thanks to their excellent stat spread. Or they can just plan on leaning on the scaling melee SCAGtrips of Booming Blade and/or Green Flame Blade to help keep their melee damage output competitive, like other single-attack gishes such as Shillelagh Tomelocks, 2/X Sorcadins, or Arcana Clerics. Either of those (PAM or SCAGtrip) would work with any of the other Wizard subclasses, besides just Bladesinger.

And none of those three options require significantly delaying Wizard progression by 5 levels, which really hurts on a primary Wizard character, putting you 3 levels behind in spells known and seriously behind the spellcasting power curve. Instead, they only require a 1 level dip into Fighter (or perhaps Cleric) for armor/weapon proficiency, then all Wizard from there.

moonfly7
2021-06-21, 07:00 PM
They only said they weren't keen on Bladesinger if it meant being a "jumpy spinny DEX character". :smallwink:

It's since been pointed out that a muscular, armored, STR-based Bladesinger is also an option, if you're willing to toss out the benefits of Bladesong altogether. (And even without their primary Bladesong ability, Bladesinger still makes for a better gish than many of the other Wizard subclasses.)

Or, Extra Attack isn't strictly necessary if you take Polearm Master, and they can easily afford to spare the ASI for that feat thanks to their excellent stat spread. Or they can just plan on leaning on the scaling melee SCAGtrips of Booming Blade and/or Green Flame Blade to help keep their melee damage output competitive, like other single-attack gishes such as Shillelagh Tomelocks, 2/X Sorcadins, or Arcana Clerics. Either of those (PAM or SCAGtrip) would work with any of the other Wizard subclasses, besides just Bladesinger.

And none of those three options require significantly delaying Wizard progression by 5 levels, which really hurts on a primary Wizard character, putting you 3 levels behind in spells known and seriously behind the spellcasting power curve. Instead, they only require a 1 level dip into Fighter (or perhaps Cleric) for armor/weapon proficiency, then all Wizard from there.
I'm gonna be honest, I really don't see the appeal of taking a subclass and then not even using it's core feature, I'd be waiting till level 6 to get any use out of the thing. And Strength Singer is actually viable with the song active, our last bladesinger went that direction and was amazing. But obviously it's effectiveness doesn't fix the fact that Bladesinger restricts a lot of my options.

After looking through everything, I have to say that fighter 1/abjurer 2 sounds like a decent option at this point, and I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it here but swords bard is also a decent option.

whateew
2021-06-21, 07:36 PM
If you aren't 100% set on being a wizard yourself, the arcana cleric makes for a nice melee attacker, still using SCAGtrips, but also instead going for a "devotee of tenser" to a cultish level. You could focus on your wisdom first, possibly working towards getting shillelagh to attack with wis, but maybe more interestingly you can go fighter 1 for con saves and heavy armour, and then focus str on your cleric levels following.

Sherlockpwns
2021-06-22, 02:26 AM
To stick with the Tenser apprentice theme I’d say you should be avoiding something like cleric or artificer.

In the end I once again suggest war wizard instead of blade singer. If you want to pick up fighter 1 for the armor and weapons and fighting style (and second wind), then you’ll still be plenty caster-y.

Anymore I simply prefer the scag cantrips over multi-attack. At worst they are 5 less damage at level 5, and do more damage if it triggers the secondary effect. This changes a bit at 11, but by then your spells will more than compensate.

Anyway in exchange you are getting the at will reaction for bonus save or ac, the level 6 ability is “ok” and gives you a little extra punch, but the level 10 is basically permanently +2 to ac. All in all I think it’s a more interesting package than bladesinging.

If you skip fighter, which I wouldn’t, you can still have mage armor. If you put one of those 16s into dex that’s at least a 16ac, 17 when you are shifted, and up to 19 for one attack (or shield spell for 22). You can then two-hand a q-staff and booming bash or green flame stick away. While that’s not too bad for a wizard, one level of fighter would put your base ac at 21 (defense style) once you can afford plate armor. That means your reaction can push it to 23, your race shift to 24, haste to 26, and the lvl 10 ability to 28. In short, a true wizard tank. The shifter hp will help a bunch too.

Still, being a level behind is sad. The sooner you get to polymorph the better perhaps. On that note it’s probably good to consider what level 1 and 2 spells fit the build. Level 3-6 spells are kinda easy (haste, polymorph, greater invis, and of course tensers transformation.) level 1-2 are a bit harder to figure out, as spells like mirror image, blur, or even fog cloud are all great spells, but none of them will make you feel like a badass in the same way polymorph or haste will.

Anyway, long story short: BB and/or GFB and war wizard instead of blade singer.

Selion
2021-06-22, 04:44 AM
One of our groups DM's is starting up a new game, and he's making the story revolve a lot around the characters we build, and encouraging us to create richer backstories he can connect together for the plot.

As the title says, I'm currently going to play the Apprentice of the wizard Tenser, who exists in the DM's homebrew world, as do the rest of the circle of 8, but in a modified capacity. Specifically for tenser, he's dead. We took his death at the hands of raury in the old modules and ran with it, choosing to not use the module that brought him back. This lets my character have a serious revenge story and a thirst for blood against Raury, who may or may not even be alive anymore.

With backstory out of the way, let me get right down to what I need help with: Character build. Story is fine, I have that down pat and I don't need help with it, but I can't seem to get a good build for the character that I actually like. We're starting at level 3, and all official DND published books are allowed, we use tashas racial variant rules and feats. we also roll stats on a 6 by 6 grid and choose a blcok from that, the block I took was as follows: 18, 16, 16, 9, 14, 13. I have already chosen race, which is going to be beast hide shifter for story reasons. Other than that I have no restrictions on what choices for class to make except that I would prefer to have levels in wizard, but it's looking more and more like I can't get what I want and do that. Oh and I can't go eldritch Knight, a friend already has one and I'm not stepping on toes.

I was originally convinced this build would be easy, go bladesinger, grab melee cantrips and good spells, and then have fun, but Bladesinger feels like it greatly restricts my playstyle to jumpy spinny dex character which I'm not sure I want, as Tenser always seemed like a more brutal fighter to me and thats how we portray him in the game. The problem is that without bladesingers 6th level ability I feel like I'm going to be forced to neglect one aspect of the character, either the melee or the magic. To keep the balanced combo feeling I'd either need to get metamagic with feats or levels, or rely on fighters action surge, something I would rather not do. The concern with falling behind isn't really an issue at 3-4 but once I hit 5 I'm either going to be feeling the lack of extra attack and be forced to rely almost solely on spells, or feel like I never use my spells and keep wacking with extra attack.

Anyways those are my concerns.

TLDR: I'm worried that not taking bladesinger could force me to choose casting ro melee over the other and feel like a nerfed caster or fighter instead of a fun combo, but I don't enjoy the restricitve nature of bladesinger.

Bladesinger is a strong contendant for the best gish in the game, BUT, there are a lot of anti- synergies with Tenser Transformation, which i guess would be the capstone stell for this character. In particular, bladesingers couldn't use their strong double attack with cantrip feature during tenser transformation.
If you forfeit bladesinger, any other wizard is able to deliver decent melee damage using cantrips and self buff.
War Wizard is the subclass that synergizes the most with tenser transformation, because AC/TS boosts are effective during Tenser Transformation.
I must say that overall is not a very powerful subclass, but i think it's the closer one to your character concept. Abjuration wizard is another good candidate.
I'm playing myself a fighter 2/war wizard x, it works, it's quite tanky and i like the character, if i would to suggest a brand new similar character, though, i'd go with either cleric 1/wizard x or artificier 1 /wizard x, because the delay in spellcasting really hurts

Eldariel
2021-06-22, 04:50 AM
Bladesinger is a strong contendant for the best gish in the game, BUT, there are a lot of anti- synergies with Tenser Transformation, which i guess would be the capstone stell for this character. In particular, bladesingers couldn't use their strong double attack with cantrip feature during tenser transformation.

There's also a significant benefit though: Bladesong works while Tenser'sing giving you a reaction defense (Song of Defense) and an offensive booster (Song of Victory) that you otherwise don't have access to. While War Wizard is a very good Tenser's-user, so is Bladesinger even in spite of losing out on the cantrip hit.

Salmon343
2021-06-22, 06:24 AM
Given the stats you've got, I think going melee Bladesinger is super viable. You can take a spread which is something like: Int 18/Dex 16/Str 16/Con 14/Wis 13/Cha 9. If you take a Fighter 1 Dip with the Dueling fighting style, that gives you extra incentive to use a longsword in one hand, plus with Bladesong, decent Con of 14 and proficiency in con saves from Fighter 1; you'll have a pretty high concentration check so won't even need war caster - if you avoided feats entirely, you've got enough to max Int for casting stat, Strength for offense, and Dex for defence. Not that you'd have to, as with Mage Armor and Bracers of Defense (if you can get them) you'd already have 18 AC without Bladesong.

Essentially, you've got high enough stats to create a build that needs decent Dex, Str and Int, and I feel that:

A) Not getting extra attack would lead to you mostly casting or missing. I've played a Gish that doesn't have extra attack before, and the first thing I did was adjust my build direction so that I nabbed extra attack. It's not only the extra damage, its also the chance of you missing and having a whiffed turn, which never feels great. The existence of Spirit Shroud means that you'll want to create a build that has more than one attack, and Bladesinger Extra Attack > Polearm Master as you'll keep your bonus action, and one of the attacks being a cantrip makes your DPR way higher and you'll feel more like a master of martial magic.

B) Slightly lower base defences > No Bladesong. Bladesong fuels a ton of useful features for Bladesong, and once you get to prof 3 you'd probably be in Bladesong most of the time anyway, and if you're not its because you don't feel threatened. The Int buff to defense would already offset the armor buff (base AC of 16, so you only need Int 14 to hit Plate Armor, and Int 18 to hit Plate Armor with Shield). And that's without considering the bonus to concentration saves, and the goodies that you get later on in the class.

Sidenote, I'm not sure if the stats provided account for race. If they don't, then this mixed build definitely works, as you have that floating +2/+1 to apply. Could always keep the +2 in con, and putting the +1 in Int, Dex, or Str gives you the opportunity to take a half feat to bump it up, at later levels. Something like Slasher or Crusher would help you feel a lot more martial. The high stats also gives you the room to take more feats, so you can have all of this and polearm master, and personally I feel like flavourful feats (which are helpful in combat) help you create a character feel a lot more than having a build with higher stats, even if that one numerically comes out on top. But even without the flavourful feats, your stats alone carry an Int/Str/Dex Bladesinger.

RSP
2021-06-22, 06:50 AM
Use Shadow Blade with the SCAG cantrips. No reason you can’t refluff it as a Str weapon.

jojosskul
2021-06-22, 07:51 AM
A build I've been working recently has been Fighter 1/Clockwork Soul X. It gets you Twin and/or Quicken for pseudo extra attack for Booming Blade, and Heavy Armor Master is also on the table. Combined with Armor of Agathys and the level 6 Clockwork Ability you're super tanky and can severely punish anyone who hits you. The build I'm working I'm intending to use a Maul with Crusher, and if you take extend metamagic you can boost your (and your parties) HP through Aid cast the previous day.

Yes you're not a wizard, but maybe you didn't KNOW that. Tenser did, but in you he saw the embodiment of his signature spell. Let's go through the Tenser's Transformation checklist here:

1. Gain 50 Temporary Hitpoints

- You can do even better. You get some real hitpoints, via Aid, and some temp HP, via armor of agathys. By 5th level spells that's 45 extra HP for you (and 20 for two friends) and you enjoy benefits of lower amounts for the entire build!

2. You have advantage on attack rolls made with simple/marital weapons

- With your concentration opened up this could be as simple as restraining them with another spell like hold person/web. So many options in this game to get advantage, shouldn't have trouble finding something that fits your playstyle/situation.

3. When you hit a target with a weapon attack, you deal an additional 2d12 Force Damage

- Ok, so you don't PRECISELY get this (though if you decide to use your concentration on a 3rd level Shadowblade when using booming blade you're only doing two less average damage per attack (assuming you'd be using a Greataxe with Tenser's) before level 11. After level 11 you'll deal more, even with only a 3rd level slot, and hey if it's dark there's your advantage!

More importantly, when someone hits YOU you deal scaling cold damage EVERY TIME IT HAPPENS. And you armor of agathys should last quite a while considering Bastion of Law and Heavy Armor Master.

4. You have proficiency with all armor, shields, martial weapons and simple weapons

- Why yes! Yes you do!

5. You have proficiency in Strength and Constitution Saving Throws

- Why yes! Yes you do!

6. You can attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn. You ignore this benefit if you already have a feature, like Extra Attack, that gives you extra attacks.

- Using Quicken to hit the same target or Twin to hit different ones gives you pseudo-multiattack before a regular martial would get multi-attack. And with shadowblade (if you decide to use that and not some form of control spell) you'll hit like a truck with booming blade anyway.

Sure, you'll never be able to CAST Tenser's Transformation, but it doesn't matter, you ARE Tenser's Transformation.

There are lots of other ways to pull this off using Clockwork Sorcerer. You could take a level of Cleric for heavy armor instead so your spell slot progression isn't interrupted (this build has a lot of upcasting so the higher spell slots will get used). OR you could do good old fashioned Paladin 2/Sorc X Sorcadin. Slow your spell slots by a level just like level 1 fighter, and no con saves if you want heavy armor, but Smite is always nice.

Sherlockpwns
2021-06-22, 12:32 PM
There's also a significant benefit though: Bladesong works while Tenser'sing giving you a reaction defense (Song of Defense) and an offensive booster (Song of Victory) that you otherwise don't have access to. While War Wizard is a very good Tenser's-user, so is Bladesinger even in spite of losing out on the cantrip hit.

I agree with you that the bladesong while transformed is nice. The boosts you get are also great. I think it comes down in part to the type of DM/adventure you are running. In our games it will often be 6+ decently challenging fights between long rests (and then weirdly a lot of 1-2 fights and a long rest other times). Ergo I am always wary of the cornerstone of my character being limited. There's nothing wrong with front-lining for 3-4 fights and staying back and blasting for the rest, it's a matter of how you want to run the character.

BUT to be clear RAW you can still use Arcane Deflection when transformed. It isn't a spell, which is the only restriction on Tenser. Check with your DM of course.

So a bladesinger gets the bonus to movement, concentration, and AC when singing and can react to burn a spell slot to reduce damage.

War wiz gets a permanent +2 to AC while transformed, a reaction for either +2 more or +4 save (save being far more important but hey). Assuming you've taken Fighter 1, you'll be significantly more tanky than the bladesinger. That said you absolutely need Warcaster, because a bad roll and dropping tensers or even haste can be real bad news. So there's a feat tax as well as being a level behind.

IMO both synergize very well with Tenser. I think "Tenser's apprentice" is more of a war wizard is all. It's more a traditional "armored wizard smashing your face in."

On the Tenser note: You'll want to be dual wielding when you transform. The more attacks the better to trigger that 2d12 damage. My math on tenser's dual wielding is in the mid 50s average DPR, which is pretty solid, though it is sadly eclipsed by blatantly OP spells like animate object (if your DM is lenient about certain things).