PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Asi or feat for bladsinger/hexblade build

CrazyCarppy
2021-06-21, 12:52 PM
My character in the campaign I am playing in looks like this:
half elf hexblade 2/bladesinger 7
str 8 dex 14 con 15 int 18 wis 11 cha 16
feat: elvish accuracy

my go to strategy so far has been to cast haste then run right into the thick of things. combined with bladesinging and my studded leather armor i am sitting at a nice 21 ac with the shield spelled prepared just in case. generally my attacks are one melee with my warhammer, an EB with repelling blast at another target, and then the hasted bonus either more move or another warhammer hit. I also use the darkness and devilsight combo when i can/need to.
my plan as i level is to Finish off all wizard.

so my next level gets me an asi. and tons of options on where to put it. dex: +1 ac and initiative. int: +1ac while bladesinging, +1 spell save dcs and attack rools(not EB); Cha: +1 dam with warhammer, +1 attack roll with EB. Plus all of the appropriate saves and skills.

Or i could grab a feat.
Crossbow eexpert/gunner would help with melee casting of EB.
Crusher wouldnt be terrible with my odd con.
Eldritch adept would allow me to pick up agonizing blast without losing the level 18 wizard ability.
Fighting initiate has potential.
Lucky is ALWAYS good.
Mobile might be good, but with a potential ac of 26 right now im not sure im worried about AOs.
spell sniper for the ignoring cover could be useful
and warcaster is always on the table.

and thats just looking at straight combat feats. There are plenty of other good feats that could be helpful as well.

And im just not sure which choice is the one i should make.
so I am coming to the playground looking for advice.

What say you friends? how would you handle this?

RogueJK
2021-06-21, 01:02 PM
I'd lean towards Crusher or possibly Telekinetic.

Of the two, Crusher would gain you the more immediate benefit of evening out your CON. You could move an enemy with your Warhammer hit, and then follow up with a non-disadvantaged EB. The downside is that it only works on up to Large sized enemies.

Telekinetic gives you a useful option for your Bonus Action, but a 19 INT or 17 CHA doesn't get you any immediate benefit. You'd need to follow up with +1 INT/CHA and +1 CON in 4 more levels to even out both CON and INT/CHA. This feat would allow you to hit with the Warhammer, then BA shove with Telekinetic, then follow up with a non-disadvantaged EB. Or hit with warhammer, hit with Booming Blade, then BA shove so that the enemy has to decide if they want to close with you and take the BB rider damage. Unlike Crusher, Telekinetic's shove can be used at up to 30' range for times when you can't or don't want to close to melee, it doesn't have a size limit, and it can be inserted anywhere in your attack routine (first/middle/last) since it's not contingent upon a warhammer hit. But on the flip side it does allow a STR save. More versatile, but not as immediately useful for stat purposes, and not automatic (on Large or smaller) like Crusher.

Bobthewizard
2021-06-21, 01:35 PM
I would take Resilient CON to help with saves and concentration. You are going to be a primary spellcaster soon.

RogueJK
2021-06-21, 01:45 PM
I would take Resilient CON to help with saves and concentration. You are going to be a primary spellcaster soon.

While I'd normally agree on most spellcasters, that's less necessary on a Bladesinger, who gets +INT to Concentration saves.

Hael
2021-06-21, 01:46 PM
Res Con or int ASI are your next two feats if you’re optimizing.

Keravath
2021-06-21, 02:58 PM
I would also say Resilient con. Yes. as a bladesinger you can add +int to concentration checks while you are bladesinging. However, your tactic has you casting haste and running into melee "When the spell ends, the target can't move or take actions until after its next turn, as a wave of lethargy sweeps over it." ... so if your haste ends due a failed con check you will be standing there unable to use shield or anything else to protect yourself. So I would vote resilient ...

However, you mention that your typical tactic is to attack in melee and then eldritch blast. This doesn't work that well in melee since all of your attacks with the EB are at disadvantage if you have an opponent adjacent. The only way to avoid that penalty is the cross-bow expert or Gunner feat. If you really use this tactic a lot then you are making a lot of attack rolls at disadvantage (or taking a lot of op attacks as you move away to make the ranged cantrip attack) so one of these feats might be worthwhile. On the other hand, if I was using the tactic of melee attack followed by ranged cantrip, I might get the mobile feat which allows you to back off to cast the EB without being subject to op attacks.

Finally, I would avoid the Lucky feat until you have everything that is actually useful. Lucky is only useful when you don't have anything better and almost anything that is regularly used is better than Lucky. It is a great feat for level 16 or 19 when everything that is actually useful has been picked.

CrazyCarppy
2021-06-21, 03:20 PM
Which is better for concentration saves? Res:con adding my proficiency bonus, or warcaster giving advantage on the check?
I THINK I recall seeing that they are mathematically comparable at tier 2 and 3. Advantage edges out in tier 1 and the prof bonus edges out in tier 4. I think.

CrazyCarppy
2021-06-21, 03:47 PM
I am also using the darkness/devilsight combo to help negate disadvantage and give advantage when i can.
Which is also handy for drawing out dispel magic uses from enemy casters.

CheddarChampion
2021-06-22, 12:36 AM
Which is better for concentration saves? Res:con adding my proficiency bonus, or warcaster giving advantage on the check?

Advantage is worth ~+3.3 on average, +5 in the best case scenario.

Taking Resilient at your level would give +1 from your Con going up and +4 from proficiency. That's +5 always, which is better. Add in the scaling and... yep.

CrazyCarppy
2021-06-22, 07:21 PM
Ok. So my current concentration bonus while Blaedsinging is +6. So unless an attack is doing more than 20 dam im only failing on a roll of 1 to 3.
Taking res:con brings that bonus to 11. So autosaving on anything less than 24 dam. Thats pretty damn useful. Boring, but efficient.

I do like the crusher feat for a more fun feat. So the choice is between fun or efficient....