PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a party game

Shadean207
2021-06-21, 02:54 PM
I am planning a game for an upcoming party I will be hosting at my parents' house.
In total, there will be 16 people, 4 of which most likely will not participate (my parents, me, and a guest that will leave early).

The idea is to play a kind of werewolf game, or perhaps a kind of the more recent famous "impostor game".

Of the 12 players, 2(?) would be designated the role of impostor, and they do the deed by simply telling people that they are now eliminated.
To balance the game, meetings will be held every half hour(?), each of the impostors is only allowed one elimination between meetings, and only in the meetings will the eliminated reveal themselves to be, well, eliminated.
Also in the meetings, players may hold a majority vote to eliminate one they suspect.
The impostors win if they eliminate all players undetected or at least one impostor remains with only 2 other players after voting.
The players win once all impostors are eliminated.

So far, so simple.

Now to the question part:
the house is not extremely big. Enough to accommodate 16 people, but they will be moving inside very few distinct rooms:
- the garden and terrace
- the living/dining room
- the hallway, including stairs and upper floor hallway
- the kitchen
- the basement (drinks stored there) and stairs leading down
- I am deliberately and explicitly excluding the two restrooms on the two floors, for obvious reasons

Does anyone have experience with hosting these kinds of games and can offer any advice?
Perhaps rules or tweaks to the system that might make it more fun?
Or does it sound fine as is?
My main concern is that it might be too difficult to find some "alone time" with another player, seeing as they will be so close together most of the time...

Looking forward to getting some feedback here :)

Khedrac
2021-06-22, 10:19 AM
I cannot give that much help, but ensure that there is something for the eliminated people to do other than interfere with the game.
Someone who has only just be eliminated won't be known to the other impostor and therefore could accidentally/on purpose prevent an elimination simply by being present.
Equally, if most/all of the conversation is about the game and who is/is not the impostors, eliminated players will feel very excluded from the rest of the party, so you need to strike a balance between "party" and "game".

Scarlet Knight
2021-06-24, 06:18 PM
This sounds similar to a game of assassin I ran years ago. Do the victim and the killer have to be alone (no witness) ? If so it may be tough in a small area in one night. How do the non-imposters protect / avoid the imposters so they can stay in the game?