PDA

View Full Version : [Race] A few Orientals...

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-13, 11:27 AM
So, more creations from my "pile o' races from passed worlds and random creations of boredom" hopefully, you guys aren't tired of seeing my various new and strange races, so...

Alpoda
These panda-people are pudgey, yet kind and gentle. The scoff from the barbarism of physical combat, preferring to wield the power of the spirits of the arcane. Normally dressing in not but their fur, the Alpoda take great pride in their three-dimensional "shavings". Such creations are expertly shaved sections of fur that are dyed in a variety of colors, much like how other races decorate their bodies with tattoos. These shavings are the pride of the Alpoda and a well made one can cost up to 1000gp to as much as 5000000gp for the best. Most of these represent achievements of arcane power or family honor. But, like all things, they are only temporary, lasting only 2 weeks, though with proper care, they can last as long as 2 years before the dye fades away.

Alpoda Racial Stats
Ability Scores - +2 Con, -2 Wis
Type Monstrous Humanoid
Size Medium
Base land speed 20ft
Natural Attack - Bite (1d6)
Thick Skin - +2 natural armor
Low-light vision
Gentle Demeanor - +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks
Round Body - Count as 1 size larger for determining cost for armor. Additionally, Alpoda take a -1 racial penalty on melee attack rolls.
Favored Class - Wu Jen

Kitsune
These fox-people of the orient are a mischievous people who enjoy pulling pranks and tricking others. Nevertheless, these charismatic foxes are loved by all, as they can be quite manipulating when needed. Speculation on this phenomenon leads one to look at the religious beliefs and inter-racial activities. The Kitsune worship the goddess of fertility, participating in "Fertility Ceremonies" lasting for exactly seven days and are not bound against "practicing" their religious beliefs with other races. All Kitsune are honor-bound to attend at least twice a year and each time must find a new mate. The Elderly are given more respect and, unlike other races, a Kitsune beauty grows with age and to have nine tales is a sign of great achievement. Kitsune are born with one tail and ten years after reaching adulthood, the Kitsune grows a new tail until at 110 years of age (when a Kitsune would gain a tenth tail) the Kitsune dies on the day of its birth.

Kitsune Racial Stats
Ability Scores - -2 Str, +2 Cha
Type Fey
Size Medium
Base land speed 30’ (40’ if on all fours and in no more than light armor and lightly encumbered)
Darkvision 30’
Manipulative - +4 racial bonus to all Disguise and Bluff checks. Additionally, a Kitsune may use Disguise Self 1/day
Favored Class - Rogue

Touman
The Touman look very much like wolves, in fact only when one walks on his hind legs are they truly distinguishable from wolves. These beings are the barbarians of the northern plains and desert, living in the cold barren plains with their horses and yaks. Touman are extremely dense in build with much higher muscle strength. Thus the weapons that they craft and wield seem too large to others, yet the Touman have learned to use them well. The Touman learn to ride a horse at and early age, being granted a colt of their own at birth. The colt and cub live and die together, share about the same life span. The Touman has a special connection with his horse and they share an unbreakable bond from birth.

Touman Racial Stats
Ability Scores - +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -4 Cha
Type Fey
Size Small
Base land speed 20’
Powerful Build - Touman may wield weapons one size larger at no penalty due to their dense form and great strength.
Nightsight – a Touman cannot see more than 60’ while in a bright area (i.e. in sunlight), however, a Touman has Darkvision 120’ and superior low-light vision. Touman can not see in color.
Plains Riders - +4 racial bonus on all ride checks. Additionally, Touman can ride both medium and large creatures equally well and suffer no penalty for an ill-sized mount.
Dense Form - Due to their dense form, Touman automatically fail all swim checks.
Illiterate - A Touman must spend two Skill Points to become literate not matter which class he takes.
Favored Class - Ranger

Comments and Critiques welcome!

Innis Cabal
2007-11-13, 11:56 AM
kitsune's favored class should be wizard with Ill spec.

Sightless
2007-11-13, 11:57 AM
The Touman seem a bit overpowered. They get physical attributes at the costs of mental ones, dark vision and the various bonuses of a small sized race while still being able to wield normal sized weapons. Automatically failing on swim checks doesn't seem like that big of a drawback for this race..

jindra34
2007-11-13, 12:07 PM
The kitsune need to be a racial class not a pure single stat race due to the fact that there are several internal rankings of them...

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-13, 12:23 PM
The kitsune need to be a racial class not a pure single stat race due to the fact that there are several internal rankings of them...

That's fluff.

@ Sightless - I know the Touman are overpowered, I haven't been able to think of a decent way to balance them out yet, save LA+1. Any suggestions?

Edit: Also remember that the races based off mythology are based off the mythology with artistic license.

jindra34
2007-11-13, 12:42 PM
That's fluff.

The internal ranks are not fluff because as they advance in rank they aquire new powers and abilities... kind like dragons advancing in age category.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-13, 12:57 PM
The internal ranks are not fluff because as they advance in rank they aquire new powers and abilities... kind like dragons advancing in age category.

Edit: Also remember that the races based off mythology are based off the mythology with artistic license.

Artistic license.

You are free to create your own version of the Kitsune and I encourage you to do so, but that is not how I want my crunch or fluff to be structured.

lord of pixies
2007-12-06, 12:32 AM
what type of conection do the wolf men have with there horses (animal companion, familiar, palidens mount, just friends?)

and what would the LA be

otherwise greate work!!!

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-06, 12:58 AM
what type of conection do the wolf men have with there horses (animal companion, familiar, palidens mount, just friends?)

and what would the LA be

otherwise greate work!!!

Well, they are more like "just friends" crunch-wise, but the connection should be closer to animal companion, hence that being their favored class. They are meant to be LA +0.

I honesty clicked on this thread thinking it was some one else's, I never thought this would resurface, but thanks for the compliment! If your interested in Oriental races, I do have some Hindu-inspired ones, the Naga-Anu and Garuda (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62511).

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 01:25 AM

Kind of like taking different class levels?

magic8BALL
2007-12-06, 02:26 AM
Just a minor point:

Touman Racial Stats
Illiterate

Not much of a draw back when you pick up literacy when you gain a level in any class other than Barbarian. This may as well be omitted.

I love the flavour. I always try to play an 'animal person' (goatfolk, gnoll, these guys, that sort of thing) with a lycanthropic template of some sort. Even just to see the look on the DM's face when I tell them of my new character concept.

"And then the Half-Orcs fangs will elongate, and his hair will become more corse, and then he's a were-boar hybrid!"

...now for some panda stats...

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-06, 10:19 AM
Just a minor point:

Not much of a draw back when you pick up literacy when you gain a level in any class other than Barbarian. This may as well be omitted.

Actually, its like the Neanderthal racial ability, I guess I should add the rest of the text then. Basically it overrides automatic literacy.