PDA

View Full Version : My Homebreed MiniBoss:Opinions

Tuknir
2021-06-24, 05:17 PM
Hey guys, im dm'ing for the 1 time for a party of 4 lv 5 players. And soon they will find a goblin base and a Orc mini boss. Basicly he is a Orc imbued by dark powers that lets him have 2 rounds every turn( aka paragon) that also gives him a dark aura..

Augmented Orc
Medium humanoid (orc) , chaotic evil
Armor Class 17 Chain Mail
Hit Points 82 (5d20 + 6) (x 2 since its a Paragon 1 monster)
Speed 30 ft.
Roll Initiative! +1
STR
18 (+4)
DEX
12 (+1)
CON
18 (+4)
INT
11 (+0)
WIS
11 (+0)
CHA
16 (+3)
Skills Intimidation +2
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 10
Languages Common, Orc
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +3

Aggressive. As a bonus action, the orc can move up to its speed toward a hostile creature that it can see.

Multiattack. The orc makes two attacks with its greataxe or its spear.

Paragon Fortitude. The creature has multiple pools of hit points, each of which is tracked separately. All damage and healing must be completely applied to only one pool. When a pool is reduced to zero, all ongoing conditions and effects affecting the creature end. Once a pool is reduced to zero, that pool cannot receive any healing until after a long rest. If all hit point pools are reduced to zero, the creature is killed.

Paragon Exhaustion. The creature may take one complete turn in each round of combat for each hit point pool it has above zero and receives one reaction between each of its turns. When a pool of hit points has been reduced to zero, the creature loses one turn each round thereafter. The creature determines initiative normally for its first turn, though it gains advantage on the roll. Each subsequent turn is inserted immediately after any one PC’s turn in the initiative order.

Evasion. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Shake the Ground. Once per short rest as a bonus action this creature can cause creatures on the ground within 10 ft. of it to be pushed 5 ft. and make a DC13 Strength saving throw, falling prone on a failed save. Fortitude Recharge: If this creature has Paragon Fortitude, then when one Hit Point pool is reduced to 0, shake the ground recharges.

Dark Aura. The orc "real" AC is 17, however, when a attacker hits between AC 14-16,the attacker will hit the orc on his protetive aura. Attacks that hit this way give half the damage rounded up and activate the Aura protetive measures. Roll a 1D6. 1-2:The aura emits a blinding light. ALL in a 5 foot radius must make a Dexterity saving throw 12. if failed:blinded for 1 round. 3-4: The aura emits a booming sound:A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from the Orc. Each creature in a 15-foot radius originating from the Orc must make a 12 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away.On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed. 5-6: The aura emits a palpable evil vibe. The attacker must make a 12 Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, it gets frighted for 1 round and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from the orc.. The creature doesn’t move into obviously dangerous ground.

Actions

Greataxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d12 + 4) slashing damage.
Spear. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.

what you guys think? too strong? to weak? cr is good?

JNAProductions
2021-06-24, 06:10 PM
So, I'm assuming you're using Angry GM's Paragon system?

See, I like the alternate-instead of "Two turns until weakened, then one turn," I think "One turn for a while, then when crap hits the fan, two turns," is better. Same overall challenge, but instead of the boss getting easier as you whale on him, they get stronger until they die. Just a thought.

As for the monster itself... It seems fine. Not sure 100% on the math of the CR, but nothing sticks out as bad. The "Aura" bit feels a little finicky, though.

Finally, check this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?521278-Preset-Class-Tables-for-5e-Homebrew) out to make your formatting easier.

Damon_Tor
2021-06-24, 10:25 PM
I've got to say, I do like "homebreed" to describe creatures you invent yourself.

Onos
2021-06-25, 03:25 AM
I'd suggest going back over Angry's building guidelines.

Your Save DCs don't match up. Your Skills either use the wrong stat value or wrong proficiency. Your Attacks do the same, and I'd suggest differentiating between the spear and axe attack bonus to actually make the attacks feel different. Shake the ground makes very little sense as a Short Rest ability, especially on a monster - I'd suggest either a Recharge ability or making it part of the tweaked Aura. Is it going to dig into action economy to switch weapons or is the dude just dual-wielding the axe and spear? No idea where you're getting d20 Hit Dice from, Medium creatures use d8's. You've also not worked the +Con part right for the HP.

The Aura is super fiddly, that's going to slow the pace down - I'd suggest having it activate as a Reaction on getting hit, or having it auto-trigger once per turn on a single effect switchable with a bonus action. This is particularly important because your monster is extremely tanky for a CR 6ish, meaning you're going to have the Aura trigger a lot running it as is.

As JNA pointed out, it's worthwhile making sure your use of the Paragon system fits the fiction of the fight. By which I mean, currently your party will be wearing this monster down and exhausting it - the losing actions is typically a better fit for a grouped monster. For single creatures I generally prefer to have them gain actions as they lose health. This isn't strictly speaking an issue, just worth pointing out that your description will need to match the mechanical implementation and vice versa.

Edit: Might be worth making Shake into a Lair Action.

Tuknir
2021-06-25, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, i will make some adjustments. I just want my players to have a challenging but also a fun fight.

JNAProductions
2021-06-25, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, i will make some adjustments. I just want my players to have a challenging but also a fun fight.

That's a good goal to have! Happy to help you achieve it. :)

Onos
2021-06-27, 11:13 AM
It's probably worth pointing out that a couple of small minions and a location with something interesting going on rather than a bare room will help make the encounter memorable. Hope the session goes well!

Tuknir
2021-06-27, 11:55 AM
It's probably worth pointing out that a couple of small minions and a location with something interesting going on rather than a bare room will help make the encounter memorable. Hope the session goes well!

Yes, yes, the players will find it in a ruined watchtower, where the townfolk near by used it's basement to store supplys etc..meanwhile a band of goblins took the place over. so before the pc's reach it they will fght a bunch of goblins ( 1 or 2 goblin casters) and hobgoblins and in the final room will be the Boss ( i changed his spear attack to be more precise ( + to hit but less dmg) than the axe attack, and removed the shake the ground thingy). The boss will have also some hobgoblins and 2 goblin casters (1 normal one and one wild magic goblin caster)