PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Pages : [1] 2 3

Setra
2007-11-13, 01:31 PM
This certainly isn't a blatant ripoff of another thread in the media section, nosiree.

To be blunt, like in the other thread (:mitd: What thread?) state opinions you have that might make other people want to lynch you.

I'll start off.

* Goldeneye didn't age well.

* I do not like Halo (putting it lightly)

* World of Warcraft is not the best MMO ever

* Chrono Trigger is overrated

LynGrey
2007-11-13, 01:36 PM
*This (quick and easy) gaming systems sucks cause it doesn't have detail like this (highly accurate realistic) gaming system.

Moral Wiz
2007-11-13, 01:59 PM
I'd... actually agree with Setra on all points. Especially HALO. Why, oh, Why did it have to manage to get everywhere, when Culpa Innata isn't even AVAILIABLE in the UK? (and with no pubilsher, so chance of ever reaching the UK.)

One of mine? Silverfall is a good RPG.

Artanis
2007-11-13, 02:01 PM
My most unpopular gaming opinion is that games should be taken on their own merits. Far too often, people absolutely refuse to do this. Decent games are considered crap because they don't quite live up to some really rather unrealistic expectations. Likewise, far too many totally mediocre - or outright BAD - games are considered awesomeness incarnate just because they're the latest in a popular series or something.

Examples of some of the more unpopular incarnations of this opinion:

*Star Control 3 is not a horrible abomination against all that is good and holy. Thoroughly mediocre, yes. Far below the lofty standard set by SC2, yes. But it wasn't truly terrible.

*Doom 2 was not very good. It was entertaining enough, but it lacked the "magic" of Doom...and really, that "magic" was what made Doom great. Without it, you wound up with a game that wasn't that good.

*Halo was a good game. Now, some people, like the OP, just don't like Halo, and I respect that: if you don't find a game fun, you don't find it fun, simple as that. But other people hate on Halo for purely BS reasons or just because it's popular to hate on Halo.

Timberwolf
2007-11-13, 02:04 PM
Halo is merely OK.

Grand Theft Auto is actually really boring after the 1st rampage

The Sims should be staked out on the ground, smeared in honey and left for the fire ants

Any sports sim sucks.

1337 speak should be outlawed and those who use it corrected with a meat tenderiser.

Setra
2007-11-13, 02:08 PM
1337 speak should be outlawed and those who use it corrected with a meat tenderiser.
\/\/|-|473\/3® Ð0 ¥0µ |\/|34|\|?

The fact I can do that probably counts as unpopular.

In any case, a popular opinion.. unless mentioned to a Halo fan, of which there are too many.

* Bioshock is the best First Person Shooter.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-11-13, 02:15 PM
* Kingdom of Loathing (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com) has better graphics & gameplay than World of Warcraft. As do NetHack (http://www.nethack.org) and Cities (http://cities.totl.net/cgi-bin/game).

Timberwolf
2007-11-13, 02:16 PM
*Waves meat tenderiser*

So, where would sir like this ?

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-13, 02:17 PM
I enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus.

banjo1985
2007-11-13, 02:18 PM
*pokes his head into thread*

I didn't really like Final Fantasy 7. I think 8, 9 and 10 were all better!

*runs out the door before he can be pelted with herring*

Setra
2007-11-13, 02:25 PM
*Waves meat tenderiser*

So, where would sir like this ?
In me stomach

I enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus.
I did too >.>

Shikton
2007-11-13, 02:59 PM
*All first person shooters suck. Tried plenty, they all bored me.

*Neverwinter Nights was a waste of both time and money, even after all "good" mods were released.

*The same goes for any Elder Scrolls game.

*There has been no good Zelda game since the Super Nintendo one.

...thought hard about putting something positive in here, but couldn't think of anything. Meh.

Ominous
2007-11-13, 03:09 PM
I'll agree that WoW is not the best MMO. It's only the most popular.

Halo is overrated. I liked it, but there are other shooters that just as good.

FF7 is overrated. FF6 and FF10 were better.

Super Mario 64 was an awful game and Mario games should have remained side scrollers. Banjo Kazooie was much better.

The greatest game ever was Super Mario Brothers 3.

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:12 PM
I think at this point FFVII has become rated about right, everyone is starting to say it's overrated. At this rate it'll be underrated some day :smallconfused:

FFVI on the other hand is doing the opposite.

Ominous
2007-11-13, 03:15 PM
*All first person shooters suck. Tried plenty, they all bored me.

I know several people who would agree. Some people just don't like shooters.

*Neverwinter Nights was a waste of both time and money, even after all "good" mods were released.

I disagree. Some of the PWs make AAA MMOs look like they were done by a bunch of 5 year olds. Having your D&D games using NWN is also fun, especially when your spread across the country.

*The same goes for any Elder Scrolls game.

I disagree again, but not as strongly as with NWN.

*There has been no good Zelda game since the Super Nintendo one.

While I liked OoT and TP, I miss the 2D versions of Zelda. I will agree that LTTP was probably the best Zelda ever.

I disagree with two of things he posted. I say we lynch him! :smalltongue:

Jinura
2007-11-13, 03:15 PM
That WoW is the most overrated thing after it´s expansion pack is true. Sure the game is good... For a beginner MMO, way to easy to lvl in it and everyone are selfish kids. Hmm did i forget something? Oh yeah WoW is to overrated.

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:17 PM
While I liked OoT and TP, I miss the 2D versions of Zelda. I will agree that LTTP was probably the best Zelda ever.
On the other hand I dislike most of the 2d Zelda games.

The only exception is Link's Awakening.

That WoW is the most overrated thing after it´s expansion pack is true. Sure the game is good... For a beginner MMO, way to easy to lvl in it and everyone are selfish kids. Hmm did i forget something? Oh yeah WoW is to overrated.
It IS overrated.. but I disagree with your reasoning.

1. Easy to level? THAT'S easy to level?
2. While annoying.. very annoying.. INCREDIBLY annoying, you shouldn't hold the fanbase against the game.

Ominous
2007-11-13, 03:19 PM
On the other hand I dislike most of the 2d Zelda games.

The only exception is Link's Awakening.

HERESY! We're not going to lynch you. We're going to have you burned at the stake...then have your ashes shot into the sun...then we're going to nuke the sun!

A Rainy Knight
2007-11-13, 03:19 PM
It seems that one that is becoming increasingly unpopular is that:

*You don't need to be incoherent, curse, insult others, gloat, or say anything else inappropriate to have fun playing Halo online.

@v I don't hate Halo. I hate most of the people who play it.

Gungnir
2007-11-13, 03:21 PM
I'd say around here, there's more Halo Haters than Lovers, so:

*I like Halo, I like the books, and I'm generally a whore for all the merch. At least the cheap stuff.

*You don't need to be incoherent, curse, insult others, gloat, or say anything else inappropriate to have fun playing Halo online anything.

Fixed that for you.

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:21 PM
HERESY! We're not going to lynch you. We're going to have you burned at the stake...then have your ashes shot into the sun...then we're going to nuke the sun!
Does it help if I say I like Link's Awakening more than the 3d games?
I'd say around here, there's more Halo Haters than Lovers, so:

*I like Halo, I like the books, and I'm generally a whore for all the merch. At least the cheap stuff.
The books are pretty interesting

Ominous
2007-11-13, 03:26 PM
Does it help if I say I like Link's Awakening more than the 3d games?

Yes. We'll refrain from nuking the sun now.

Talanic
2007-11-13, 03:30 PM
These may come as a few shocks.

* Diablo II failed to live up to Diablo. I actually reviewed it for the school newspaper right after it came out and gave it something like a 7. Going outdoor was a TERRIBLE idea for that series.

* WoW failed to beat Everquest. Granted, EQ now is a pathetic, degraded thing, but in its prime it was a far better game than WoW is now. Can't say why exactly, probably a combination of many factors.

* Resistance: Fall of Man totally kicks the living crap out of Gears of War. No comparison for atmosphere, storyline, or gameplay. High tech health packs are unrealistic, sure, but are they worse than healing from a half dozen bullet wounds by taking a three second breather behind a pole?

* KOTOR and KOTOR II have poor gameplay mechanics. The combat is all boring. All of it. So is the combat in NWN. I played those for storyline. [edit] And NWN only redeemed itself with HOTU.

* And, come to think of it, I didn't really care that much about the battles in the Baldur's Gate series. The game still rocked, though.

* Dungeon Siege wasn't even worth $5. It was a click-through maze with difficulty that deliberately scaled itself such that no matter what you did, you couldn't really lose, strung together with wisps of what might've been a storyline if they'd put effort into it.

* Warcraft III's balance is screwed to hell. There are numerous techniques that can't be beaten by specific races unless they prepare for ONLY that technique--and preparing for it leaves them screwed against everything else if it's not what the opponent uses. The balance is comparable to 1.0 Starcraft, with the infamous reaver drop.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-13, 03:32 PM
Deus Ex: Invisible War was really good. It wasn't as good as the original Deus Ex, but it was damn good.

Counterstrike is kinda boring, at least before you get good at it.

Katamari Damacy is too damn weird to be very enjoyable.

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:33 PM
* Warcraft III's balance is screwed to hell. There are numerous techniques that can't be beaten by specific races unless they prepare for ONLY that technique--and preparing for it leaves them screwed against everything else if it's not what the opponent uses. The balance is comparable to 1.0 Starcraft, with the infamous reaver drop.
Would you mind teaching me some of these techniques?

I wanna beat my friend at Warcraft 3 (At this point I'm not sure if he is better than me, he used to dominate me, but I got better at it.. I know I can beat him at Starcraft, but I can't help shake the feeling I suck at Warcraft 3)

Edit: Also, as a note, I will admit my experience with RTS is limited, but I will say compared to Starcraft, Warcraft 3 seems very unbalanced.

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 03:34 PM
These may come as a few shocks.

* Diablo II failed to live up to Diablo. I actually reviewed it for the school newspaper right after it came out and gave it something like a 7. Going outdoor was a TERRIBLE idea for that series.

* Warcraft III's balance is screwed to hell. There are numerous techniques that can't be beaten by specific races unless they prepare for ONLY that technique--and preparing for it leaves them screwed against everything else if it's not what the opponent uses. The balance is comparable to 1.0 Starcraft, with the infamous reaver drop.Can't comment on your other points, but I agree with these two.

Would you mind teaching me some of these techniques?

I wanna beat my friend at Warcraft 3 (At this point I'm not sure if he is better than me, he used to dominate me, but I got better at it.. I know I can beat him at Starcraft, but I can't help shake the feeling I suck at Warcraft 3)I'm rather out of loop with current WC3 techniques, but last time I checked, Orcs had a really hard time to counter a Night Elf who went for a large number of Druids of the Talon and used cyclone to take the entire Orc army out of play.

I saw a Best of 5 between Grubby and SpiritMoon, where Moon used this strategy every single time, Grubby tried to counter it every single time (he knew what was coming!), and yet failed three out of four times.

Quincunx
2007-11-13, 03:36 PM
The gaming skill of the average PvP player is below the skill of the average PvE player. Annoying the everliving bleep out of your opponent is not a gaming skill, if it even deserves the positive connotation of the word 'skill'; it is compensating for the shortage of actual gaming skill!

Twin2
2007-11-13, 03:38 PM
Final Fantasy games need to stop being made, or at least get a better name. It stopped being final after number 7 god damn it. :smallfurious:

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:40 PM
I'm rather out of loop with current WC3 techniques, but last time I checked, Orcs had a really hard time to counter a Night Elf who went for a large number of Druids of the Talon and used cyclone to take the entire Orc army out of play.

I saw a Best of 5 between Grubby and SpiritMoon, where Moon used this strategy every single time, Grubby tried to counter it every single time (he knew what was coming!), and yet failed three out of four times.
Hmm interesting.. well I already always use Night elves anyways.. and thinking about it now I've never actually used Druids of the Talon.. or Faerie dragons for that matter.

Ego Slayer
2007-11-13, 03:44 PM
I played RuneScape for a long time, AND LIKED IT.

:smallamused:

(Don't worry, I've moved on now. ;)

Green Bean
2007-11-13, 03:47 PM
I enjoyed Neverwinter Nights 2 more than the first. And I kind of liked the ending.

Also, these threads always bring to mind this quote by Carl Sagan: "But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

valadil
2007-11-13, 03:51 PM
FPS games before HalfLife sucked.
Halo sucks.
Golden Eye sucks hard.
N64 pretty much sucked in general.
Warcraft1-3, Diablo, WoW, and anything else Blizzard even thought of making sucks.
Wii is overrated.
Soul Calibre sucks.
Angband is better than Nethack, dammit! And ZAngband is better than them all.
DDO rocks!
Savage: The Battle of Newerth is the best FPS ever (and it's not even entirely an FPS)
Deus Ex is the best single player ever (okay, this one isn't so unpopular).

That's a lot of hating on my part. Now I know how maddox must feel.

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 03:51 PM
Just discovered a few interesting points in the previous posts I missed before.

The balance is comparable to 1.0 Starcraft, with the infamous reaver drop.That was before my time. How was a reaver drop so infamous back then?

Edit: Also, as a note, I will admit my experience with RTS is limited, but I will say compared to Starcraft, Warcraft 3 seems very unbalanced.Which is the very reason why I am so very happy there are only three races in SC2. With three races, there are three match-ups to be balanced (mirrors are balanced per definition). With four, like in WC3, there are six match-ups to be balanced, which, given how tweaking the balance in one match-up influences all others, is obviously a much more difficult task.

Hmm interesting.. well I already always use Night elves anyways.. and thinking about it now I've never actually used Druids of the Talon.. or Faerie dragons for that matter.Prepare to get flamed if you do that. A lot of people in the BattleNet don't take kindly to players using strategies they don't know how to deal with.
Also, clarifying what I meant with that strategy: It works by tossing the entire army into the air, surrounding the units while they are in the air so they can't get away, and then to take them out one by one. And by large numbers of Druids of the Talon I mean dozens of them. Basically, as many as you can fit into your supply.
I never played this strategy myself (which might have to do with me playing Undead :smallwink: ), but I saw it in action and read people complain in forums about how imbalanced it was.

Warcraft1-3, Diablo, WoW, and anything else Blizzard even thought of making sucks.What did the Lost Vikings do to you? :smalltongue:

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:55 PM
Prepare to get flamed if you do that. A lot of people in the BattleNet don't take kindly to players using strategies they don't know how to deal with.
Also, clarifying what I meant with that strategy: It works by tossing the entire army into the air, surrounding the units while they are in the air so they can't get away, and then to take them out one by one. And by large numbers of Druids of the Talon I mean dozens of them. Basically, as many as you can fit into your supply.
I never played this strategy myself (which might have to do with me playing Undead :smallwink: ), but I saw it in action and read people complain in forums about how imbalanced it was.
I'd only be using it against my friend.

My usual tactic involves Hippogriffs and Chimeras.

I've actually used a similar tactic in Starcraft, one of the units gets the ability to.. man I haven't played Starcraft in a long while.. but I think the ability is called Stasis? Used that on 90% of my friend's army, and took out everything with Dragoons.

ArtifexFelicis
2007-11-13, 04:03 PM
Because I can't really resist.

Beautiful Graphics don't make a good game.

KOTOR I+II were easy and better then the "prequel" trilogy.

Boba Fett is overrated.

Powerstone and Powerstone 2 are a better games than the Tekken series.

DotA is overrated.

FFIX is better then FFVII or FFVIII.

Team Fortress 2 and Portal are more entertaining games then Half-Life 2. (Though this doesn't mean Half life 2 sucks, for the record.)

Kefka is better then Kuja, and Kuja is better then Sephiroth.

And finally, Majora's Mask was better then Orcarina of Time.

Jasdoif
2007-11-13, 04:14 PM
FFVIII is easily better then FFX. (Or is that a popular opinion? I have little idea what passes for "popular opinion" these days)

Ominous
2007-11-13, 04:23 PM
And finally, Majora's Mask was better then Orcarina of Time.

Majora's Mask is one of the worst Zelda games ever. No Zelda should have less than 6 dungeons for any reason.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-13, 04:55 PM
Beautiful Graphics don't make a good game.

Team Fortress 2 and Portal are more entertaining games then Half-Life 2. (Though this doesn't mean Half life 2 sucks, for the record.)

QFT.

i like Portal.
Total Annialation sucked

Dark Reign was better

i liked Tiberian Sun

Gaming greatness was acheived in 1996 with the release of MOO2:BAA

Bioshock was good but not as good as we all hoped it would be

Gears of war is bettter than the whole Halo Series

Microsoft used Halo 2 on PC to shift copies of vista... it failed

Much to my annoyance the Wii really IS overratted (still fun though)

Megalomaniac2
2007-11-13, 04:55 PM
Metal Gear-specific opinion:

I like Raiden. And Solidus is my favourite out of all the Snakes. But then, I'm a sucker for earnest, non-too-bright nice guys (Riley Finn, Jonas Quinn, and Hinjo all come to mind) and slick exoskeletons.

Setra
2007-11-13, 04:56 PM
Because I can't really resist.

Beautiful Graphics don't make a good game.That's not an opinion so much as a fact.

DotA is overrated. Agreed

Kefka is better then Kuja, and Kuja is better then Sephiroth.
Most people tend to agree Kefka is awesome.

Because Kefka is awesome. :smalltongue:

Tekar
2007-11-13, 05:14 PM
* Age of Empires and any derivative of it sucks.
* Oblivion sucks.
* Most games would be better if they had 2D graphics ...
* ... and would be turn based.
* Baldur's Gate 1 was better than Baldur's Gate 2
* An RPG is not just a game in which you play a role! :smallfurious:

Timberwolf
2007-11-13, 05:21 PM
I hate Starcraft, I mean really hate it (me and Winterwind went through my reasons for it a while back).

Tekken is slow, clunky and stilted. There's no fluidity to it at all, not like, say, Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur.

Civilisation - not my cup of tea at all.

Sonic the Hedgehog should be burnt at the stake.

Now, this is a real golden oldie for those who were around when Sega made the only console in town (really, back in my day, losers had Nintendoes...)

I completed Super Thunderblade.

AND I LOVES IT !!!!

Cubey
2007-11-13, 05:29 PM
General game opinions:
Final Fantasy VII is a brilliant game (it may not be an unpopular opinion in general, but sure as hell is on this forum!)
Bioshock is a very good game
so is Oblivion
Grand Theft Auto 1 was good, further games in the series suck
Final Fantasy IV is overrated. It may have been good in its time but didn't age well.
I don't like Starcraft a lot - I'm lukewarm to it. I appreciate the effect it had overall on gaming, but it doesn't change my opinion.

Final Fantasy VII opinions:
Sephiroth is NOT a bishonen! He was thirty-something even before he became batsh** insane. Sephiroth fanboys are still annoying though.
Yuffie is the coolest from the FF VII girls. Aeris/Aerith might be cute but she's too annoying. Her death is still touching, but it doesn't make her any less annoying.
Advent Children, despite its shallow plot and silliness, makes a worthy epilogue for the game. It's not so much of a gaming opinion though.

Fighting games opinion:
It's okay if a beat'em up novice tries the "mash all buttons at once/at random" approach. But it's very annoying if they gloat about it - "I sometimes play Tekken/Street Fighter/Guilty Gear/whatever with my brother, I smash all the buttons frantically and still win!". No, you don't. You're either in denial or your brother is as much of a novice as you are.

World of Warcraft opinions:
Blizzard didn't butcher the lore with the Burning Crusade expansion.
Blood Elves are a whole race of evil bishonen and whorish prom queens. I accuse anyone who finds Belfs hot (especially Belf females) of having an awful, AWFUL taste.
Draenei, on the other hand, are extremely cool. Their women are very cute, too.
Arena PvP =! free epics. It also requires skill and not only good gear. If you believe any of these, you simply couldn't PvP your way out of a wet bag and are bitter that other people can.
On RP servers (but not RP-PvP), if you walk around with PvP on all the time "because it's more realistic", you have no rights to whine when you get ganked.
If, when approaching a boss in a raid instance, for example Karazhan, you didn't familiarize yourself with the boss tactics using wowwiki or whatever, and your excuse is either: A. I like to be surprised, or B. My character wouldn't know that ICly, then you are an awful idiot. Go back to cybzoring in Goldshire inn.

EDIT! Starcraft opinions:
Kerrigan is an awful b*tch and has to die, painfully. Which is unlikely to happen, because...
Blizzard are Zerg fanboys. No matter how the events turn out in the Starcraft-verse, the Zerg will ALWAYS be on top.
In Brood War, Zeratul and company were total IDIOTS to fall for Kerrigan's plan. It wasn't a brilliant mastermind masterpiece (yes, I used "master-thing" twice), a 12-year old could see through it and suspect that Kerrigan was going to betray them from the very start.

Studoku
2007-11-13, 05:31 PM
Runescape is a good game, especially since it's free.

Fable was not overhyped crap.

Startopia is the best game ever.

C&C Red alert is better than tiberium wars.

Redpieper
2007-11-13, 05:32 PM
This one will get me killed, but gotta let the secret out.

Final Fantasy games I do not like :smalleek:

*prepares a hasty retreat*

Edit: Also Zelda games annoy me and I have no clue why.
Clive's Undying is absolutely scary as hell and a very good game overall.

Narkis
2007-11-13, 05:36 PM
Starcraft sucked. A lot. Gameplay and story included.
Same goes for Age of Empires.
Warcraft 3 was marginally better.
I hate CnC 3 as well. In fact, I've always thought that RA series > Tiberium series. (If you don't count Yuri's revenge. Let us not speak of this.)
Fallout 2 should never have been released. So should Tactics, or any game in the Fallout universe after Fallout 1. Including the upcoming 3.
FF VI and any game simlar to it sucked. And Kefka was an insane clown.
The 2D Zelda games were crap. Ocarina of Time was the best Zelda game evah.
Civlization 3 was the best game in the series. The others were mediocre.
Settlers 3 was the best game in the series. The others sucked.
Serious Sam and Unreal Tournament are the best FPSs ever made for singleplayer and multiplayer respectively.
Related to MGS: Big Boss, Liquid and Solidus Snake were right. Solid Snake is the true bad guy, and so are the Patriots.

I think I'm forgetting some, but that should be enough rope for now.

edit: Damn, I forgot two of the most important: TES series was a sucky bug-ridden mess.
Freelancer was the best Space "Simulator" game, with the second being Rogue Squadron the original.

Timberwolf
2007-11-13, 05:39 PM
Someone who agrees with me on Fallout ?

*falls over in shock*

Cubey
2007-11-13, 05:41 PM
Wow Narkis, talk about unpopular opinions... I'm sure the mob is readying their pitchforks and torches already, as soon as they finish with me for dissing Belf females... these vain Paris Hilton ripoffs with more paint on their faces than I have on the walls in my house.

Prophaniti
2007-11-13, 05:45 PM
None (I repeat, none) of the Final Fantasy series has EVER been enjoyable for me. I've tried many of them and watched someone play the rest, didnt like them. I'm not really certain why, I love rpg's and turn-based combat has never bothered me, I still play X-Com! I just cant unterstand the appeal of the series. Why? Why do you all like it so #@$! much?!

Edit: Same goes for Metal Gear Solid series. It sucks! I can't stand it! Sam Fischer could kick Snake's @$$!

Ranis
2007-11-13, 05:46 PM
The Grand Theft Auto series is by far the worst thing to ever happen to the video game industry.

Everything the game reviewer Yahtzee has ever said about any game or console in it's entirety has been completely and 100% accurate in every regard.

Final Fantasy 8 is the worst game ever made.

The best game ever made is Izzy's Adventures in Dreamland for the Commodore 64.

The Wii let the gaming industry excuse Nintendo's total and unambiguous lack of creativity.

World of Warcraft has the absolute worst end-game looting system ever made, and that fact alone makes it genius in the sense that it keeps people playing the game maliciously.

If Metal Gear Solid 4 doesn't suck, Sony is going to win the console war.

Real gamers don't own Wiis.

*hides*

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 05:58 PM
Wow Narkis, talk about unpopular opinions... I'm sure the mob is readying their pitchforks and torches already, as soon as they finish with me for dissing Belf females... Actually, I will skip right to him, although my concept involves something far more elaborate and painful than pitchforks and torches. I'll just say it's based around a corkscrew, a steamroller and an assault class BattleMech. :smallamused:

Nah, just kiddin'; he's just as entitled to his opinions as I am to mine (which anybody who has ever seen me post in this subforum already knows), and as far as he is concerned - which is the only thing that matters - they are the only thing that's right and valid.

(Although I admit that I am astonished how a person who doesn't know me could get in direct opposition to my own tastes in this many cases. I counted as much as 7-8 points in his post with which I vehemently disagree :smallbiggrin: )

Green Bean
2007-11-13, 06:06 PM
Real gamers don't own Wiis.

This is the only opinion in this whole thread I actually object to.

Oh, and OT: I enjoyed Oblivion. I think it is a good game.

Also, I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion actually is, but I enjoyed KOTOR 2 far more than KOTOR 1.

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-13, 06:08 PM
You know, all things considered it's rather impressive this hasn't degenerated into flames.

But then no one has said Planescape Torment sucks yet...

...Because it doesn't.

Jerthanis
2007-11-13, 06:21 PM
In my opinion:

-Tekken is, in fact, the best 3d fighting Franchise, just ahead of Rival Schools. Skip Tekken 4 though, that one sucked. The game IS fluid if you actually understand the mechanics and have studied your character's move list. Pressing random buttons gets you nowhere...

-Unlike the buttonmashy Soul Calibers and Dead or Alive serieses, which get by on skimpy clothes rather than actual good gameplay. Virtua Fighter 4 is supposed to be the deepest fighting game that exists, but I have little experience with it, and didn't like it of what little I played of it. Soul Caliber and DoA are jokes.

-I like Raiden more than Snake, he's just honestly a more interesting character.

-More good games have come out for the PS2 after the PS3 was out than exist for all three next generation systems put together. (so far)

I'd talk about how Final Fantasy isn't very good as an RPG series, and that there are many better franchises, and some individual games which absolutely dwarf even its best games... but everyone knows Final Fantasy is overrated these days anyway. (Sounds like a Yogi Berra quotation... "It's too crowded, so no one goes there anymore")

Megalomaniac2
2007-11-13, 06:34 PM
Everything the game reviewer Yahtzee has ever said about any game or console in it's entirety has been completely and 100% accurate in every regard.

QFT. Yahtzee is God. A very fast-talking, English-sounding, pissed-off God.

Prophaniti
2007-11-13, 06:39 PM
You know, all things considered it's rather impressive this hasn't degenerated into flames.

But then no one has said Planescape Torment sucks yet...

...Because it doesn't.

I'll say it: Planescape Torment sucks!

Though actually sucks would be too strong for my opinion of it. I just dont care for it, I dont think it sucks... Tekken, though, that sucks. Soul Calibur is a much better game, as is DOA (except for the fact that counters do WAY too much damage compared to other, more brutal-looking combos)

Semidi
2007-11-13, 06:58 PM
I don't like any game with the Final Fantasy tag.
First Person Shooters should not be on consoles (ever)
Halo is so average it hurts to play it and stay awake.
Farcry was terrible.
C&C Tiberium Wars was crap. I stopped playing it after six hours.
Platform jumping games should go to hell and die.

Portal is the greatest game ever.

TheEmerged
2007-11-13, 07:01 PM
RE: WoW. I'm reminded of what someone said about Democracy -- it's the worst form of government, except for all the others. I've played a fair number of MMOG's and frankly WoW gets it closer to what I want than any to date.

Are they still pretty far off? Oh yeah, especially with the lack of a exploratory aspect to the tradeskill system and the way craft skills will never be as marketable as gathering skills.

They also made an obvious mistake in the way they "limited" access to tradeskills. You know, the way everyone is "limited" to 2? What they really did was all-but-guarantee everyone would have 2. There has to be just as much of a reason NOT to pursue the tradeskills as to pursue them -- and vice versa. I stand behind my position that it should have cost talent points...

Trust me, the "selfish kids" thing is in no way unique to WoW. It's pretty much a design feature of any MMOG.

ElfLad
2007-11-13, 07:02 PM
And finally, Majora's Mask was better then Ocarina of Time.

This.

Also, Justice for All was the best Phoenix Wright game.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-13, 07:09 PM
Related to MGS: Big Boss, Liquid and Solidus Snake were right. Solid Snake is the true bad guy, and so are the Patriots.
Well, after I finish imaginary-stabbing you for some of your other opinions, I'd like to ask you this question regarding the bad guys of Metal Gear Solid: at what point does the righteousness of one's cause justify starting a global thermonuclear war? In the end, that was at least Liquid's and Big Boss's goal. Solidus at least stuck to abusing his associates and proteges, and maybe throwing the world economy into chaos. All of this was means to a good end (the overthrow of the Patriots), but it was too far, and dismissed civilian casualties as irrelevant.

And how can you call Solid Snake a bad guy? He was in all senses of the word a tool until Metal Gear Solid 2, but since then he's had the exact same end goal as your heroes, only without the holding-the-world-hostage-with-nukes thing.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-13, 07:20 PM
And now, that guy who posted once and then dissapeared forever is back.

Anyway.

1: Wii sucks.

2: PS3 is made of sex.

3: Pokemon stopped being worthwhile after Gold/Silver.

4: The Gamecube Twilight Princess was better.

5: I also enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus.

6: Need moar turn based RPG's. I don't know how many people are against this, but with the trend of them disappearing like they are, I'd have to say they're getting less popular.

7: RE4 should have stuck closer to the original games.

K, there's what Shplane says.

Jerthanis
2007-11-13, 07:22 PM
On the MMOs all being full of selfish kids idea, I play City of Heroes, and for an overwhelming majority of the time all my teammates are possessed of overwhelming maturity and teamwork. Even when we're screwing up and getting wiped it'll be more like, Guy: "Whoops, my bad" Everyone else: "Haha, no problem" than "OMFG N00B! You wiped us!"... Almost half the explanations behind people going AFK are because "The baby woke up"/"My children need me" or something of that nature. Unfortunately this isn't the case with City of Villains, which I assume all the annoying 12 year olds of the awesome parents on City of Heroes spend their time when using their parents' account.

So no, WoW being full of arrogant, selfish children is a serious detriment, and not one shared among all MMOs.

Saint George
2007-11-13, 07:28 PM
Oh, this should be fun.

Chrono Cross was an abomination of a game. (Cept for the perty music)

Tidus was the WORST hero in any Final Fantasy game. Ever. Even worse than that guy with the tail who didn't really do anything. Even worse than Squall. At least Squall looked cool.

Final Fantasy 12 is a ripoff of Star Wars. (Poor boy from the desert with no family? Check. Princess? Check. Super cool ship captain? Check.)

Both Tomba 1 & 2 were VERY good games.

Warcraft 3 was horrible. I don't even feel like listing the reasons.

World of Warcraft butchered the lore with the expansion.

The first Legacy of Kain game is PAINFUL to play.

Twilight Princess was pretty boring and hardly challenging.

I hope that pissed someone off. If not, I can always come back.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-13, 07:46 PM
OH, and also on the maturity of MMORPG players.

People on Final Fantasy XI tend not to be idiots. Except this one guy I met. He was annoying as hell.

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 07:51 PM
Warcraft 3 was horrible. I don't even feel like listing the reasons.Pity, I would be interested in hearing them.

I hope that pissed someone off. If not, I can always come back.Sorry to disappoint you, but no, it didn't. It merely made me curious. :smalltongue:

Stormcrow
2007-11-13, 07:53 PM
I am slowly fighting a losing war against people who are bringing terms coined in MMORPGs (I'm looking at you WoW) into discussions of unrelated games. I nearly lost it at a gaming store the other week when a guy was talking about a D&D 3.5 Sorcerer in terms of his DPS potential.

I'm sick of hearing healbot etc at my table for D&D. Take your new age terms away from my old and noble game... oh.. and Tank is one of ours!

Also... I didn't like Oblivion at all.
And I'm looking foreward to Spore.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-13, 07:56 PM
And I'm looking foreward to Spore.

It's possible to NOT look forward to spore? :smallconfused:

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-11-13, 07:57 PM
- Raiden is a little girl, Snake is pure awesomeness in a headband

- Super Smash Brothers is very lame, I mean, it's booooring....

- Halo is an average FPS!!!

warty goblin
2007-11-13, 08:24 PM
OK, here's mine:
1) Any game from Japan sucks

2) Any game that has an "anime" art style sucks. This stacks with 1) for advanced sucking

3) Any RPG in which I am deprived of meaningful choice about the outcome of the story or what I choose to do with my character sucks. Stacks with 1) and 2) for ultra advanced sucking

4) Any RPG in which I can't buy houses, horses and witness at least one major city being reduced at least in part to ashes sucks. I require the ability to do stuff besides just kill stuff in an RPG, like say becoming the world's best brewer of healing potions, the kind of dude who can heal somebody with a toenail clipping and some sludgy water.

5) Starcraft is only average. Dawn of War eviscerates it with a chainsword while singing the praises of the Emperor.

6) In fact the only Blizzard game I enjoyed at all was Warcraft II.

7) Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is actually a good game. Not a great game, but hey, impaling cyclops in the eyeball is still awesome.

8) Starcraft II looks like Starcraft I with prettier graphics. It'll be just as mediocre, lots of boring units with a real lack of adaptability that behave like morons.

9) Any FPS where I can jump around like a rabbit and not suffer accuracy penalties has some sort of problem. Not a lethal problem, but really, that sort of thing just shouldn't happen anymore.

10) Spore shall rule over me as a god for a new age.

11) Lastly, the PC is the best way to game without exception. Better graphics (eyes, prepare to cry tears of blood when beholding Crysis), more variety of games (PC basically owns RTS games, although there's exceptions), a highly intuitive control scheme for high accuracy movement and strafing. Also, mods. I can pardon 360 users, tolerate Wii people as long as they don't claim that the Wii is "hardcore". PS3 users however I have no patience for. For that much money just cough up for a good PC.

ArtifexFelicis
2007-11-13, 09:56 PM
On the MMOs all being full of selfish kids idea, I play City of Heroes, and for an overwhelming majority of the time all my teammates are possessed of overwhelming maturity and teamwork.

This one I would caulk up to a close to, if not there at all, monetary system in City of heroes. I only played City of Villains mind you, but I'm going out on a limb to say that they had the same mechanics, and there wasn't much reason to be a selfish bastard in those games.

OK, here's mine:
3) Any RPG in which I am deprived of meaningful choice about the outcome of the story or what I choose to do with my character sucks. Stacks with 1) and

Yay Fallout!

(eyes, prepare to cry tears of blood when beholding Crysis)

This seems very detrimental to, you know, enjoying those graphics :smalltongue:

Also, more stuff

-Computers are a good platform, but it all depends on the game for what is awesome,
-Star Control 2 is better then WoW
-The Disgeae series is equal is not better then Final Fantasy Tactics.
-Some RPGs are just telling a story, don't hold it against them unless the story itself sucks.
-Solider class in TF2 sucks.
-RTS hasn't had a truly new innovation since Dawn of War.
-Gears of War is average. Paintball is better. I mean, seriously, the parralells are there! Wiping tourny players and Marcus Fenix!
-The monkey is for n00bs.
-Just because you really love one system doesn't mean you can play others.

EDIT!

-Fanboys to Series CAN come to terms.
-Samus can kick Master Chief's ass all day long
-The BFG 9000 is always worth it.

Setra
2007-11-14, 12:37 AM
On the MMOs all being full of selfish kids idea, I play City of Heroes, and for an overwhelming majority of the time all my teammates are possessed of overwhelming maturity and teamwork. Even when we're screwing up and getting wiped it'll be more like, Guy: "Whoops, my bad" Everyone else: "Haha, no problem" than "OMFG N00B! You wiped us!"... Almost half the explanations behind people going AFK are because "The baby woke up"/"My children need me" or something of that nature. Unfortunately this isn't the case with City of Villains, which I assume all the annoying 12 year olds of the awesome parents on City of Heroes spend their time when using their parents' account.

So no, WoW being full of arrogant, selfish children is a serious detriment, and not one shared among all MMOs.
I would like to agree with City of Heroes, many nice people play it, but it does have its fair share of idiots.. and by fair share I mean I've met maybe 5, compared to 500 I've met total.

Still, I don't count it against the game.. though I will admit it certainly makes me wanna play it less.

OH, and also on the maturity of MMORPG players.

People on Final Fantasy XI tend not to be idiots. Except this one guy I met. He was annoying as hell.FFXI tends to be Elitist in my opinion "OMG I can't believe you're using a greatsword on a Warrior, use a Greataxe". On the other hand even the elitists tend to mean well, it's not that bad, and I've never met someone who would insult you just because you like the greatsword.

Heck, once I messed up big time, TPK, one guy even leveled down. The guy who leveled down was mildly annoyed (not really at me though), but no one was really upset, pretty much an "Oh well.. no sweat, just try not to do that next time please".

Doesn't really interest me

OK, here's mine:
1) Any game from Japan sucks

2) Any game that has an "anime" art style sucks. This stacks with 1) for advanced sucking
You wouldn't happen to hate Rumiko Takahashi and a D&D character named 'Ash', would you?

Krytha
2007-11-14, 12:54 AM
Well the thread IS about opinions even if I violently disagree with many of them.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-14, 01:03 AM
My personal opinions?

1) World of Warcraft is a big pile of...seriously, worst game ever. $15/month to be bored out of my wits and see one of my favourite storylines take it up... >.<

2) Final Fantasy VII was a mediocre game.

3) Halo is not 'all that and a bag of chips' (though I do enjoy it, I think it's probably about an average game in my book.)

4) Wonder Boy in Monster World was the best RPG ever made of the 16-bit era.

Gungnir
2007-11-14, 01:03 AM

I'm not really looking forward to it, but mostly because when a game takes this long to get made, it tends to burn out all of my excitement. I'm going to completely forget about it again in about half an hour when I go to bed, and continue to do so until the day after it comes out, at which time I will promptly explode.

Talanic
2007-11-14, 01:19 AM
Just discovered a few interesting points in the previous posts I missed before.

That was before my time. How was a reaver drop so infamous back then?

A Protoss player could build a shuttle and a reaver about six to eight minutes into the game--well before his opponents had more than a handfull of units. On unloading the reaver from the shuttle, it would immediately fire. He then would load the reaver back in instantly and move it to a new location.

If you had anything capable of hitting air by then, odds were that it would die in (at most) two shots from the reaver. It fired so quickly on being unloaded and was instantly reloaded so fast, you had no way of countering it unless you had HARD HARD HARD rushed for air. Marines? Poof. Hydras? Poof. Dragoons at the time sucked (a later patch increased their power exponentially; at the time, they were completely useless and would easily die to anything).

Essentially, if you didn't build exactly the counter to the reaver drop, you would die the moment the reaver hit your base. Even if you did build the right counter, you'd probably lose a ton of workers and/or defenses.

Oh, and for another opinion.

* The storyline of WCIII was very predictable. Arthas turning death knight? Please. It was obvious by Stratholme.

* Actually, the Blizzard folks tend to keep on telling the same stories...over and over. Arthas is Kerrigan is the warrior from Diablo.

Ominous
2007-11-14, 02:30 AM
The 2D Zelda games were crap. Ocarina of Time was the best Zelda game evah.

You will join Setra on the pyre...and on the spaceship...and on the receiving end of the nuking...and we'll probably try and figure out how to turn the Sun into a singularity to remove every last bit of you from the universe.

The most unpopulare gaming opinion of them all!
The opinions of everyone but me concerning games are wrong.

I do believe I won this thread. :smalltongue:

Ominous
2007-11-14, 02:33 AM
* Actually, the Blizzard folks tend to keep on telling the same stories...over and over. Arthas is Kerrigan is the warrior from Diablo.

I just wish Blizzard would stop ripping off the Warhammer universe. They have the Diablo setting. They should use it.

Luean
2007-11-14, 03:43 AM
Hm, where do i start?
Oh, yeah.

PS3 is NOT (!!) the best console out there, even if the sony fanboys say it is (over and over again :smallsigh: ), Wii and Xbox are far better

Nintendo/Wii is NOT a toy for small children (come on sony fan boys, where are you?)

WoW is really not that great. Anyone out there who remembers EverQuest?
EQ was a lot better (well, i stopped playing sony messed up my account...)
Not to forget, leveling in WoW is really quite easy :/

The best zelda game was A Link to the past (Super Nintendo).
Majoras Mask was just...well...boring.
Phantom Hour Glass was too easy.

Final Fantasy 7 (enough said about that in other posts)
I hate Dirge of Cerberus and the other FF games (like Crystal Chronicles) who have nothing in common with FF but their name.

Tekken was not the best beat 'em up ever. Someone already said that.

GTA is really awfull. Maybe fun for...uhm... 30 minutes. Boring after that.

PS3 is NOT worth the money.

Those oh so great free games like Tibia or Runescape are boring and full of 10 year old children (well, most of the free games are full of children anyway...)

Sony fanboys annoy me -_-

Im too lazy to correct my typos...

Destro_Yersul
2007-11-14, 03:53 AM
Warhammer Online will own WoW so very very much

Samus only beats Master Chief because of the energy tanks and weapon upgrades. Also, if you drop the powered armour MC is still badass and Samus is considerably less so

Not exactly unpopular, but it must be included: Spore will descend from the clouds in a silver chariot and lead us all to the promised land

Dhavaer
2007-11-14, 04:56 AM
The Pokemon games (the real ones, not crap like Snap) are awesome.

Neverwinter Nights had a terrible, terrible engine.

Dropping spellbooks and adding the run option makes up for anything bad Diablo 2 did a hundred times over.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-14, 05:15 AM
Civlization 3 was the best game in the series. The others were mediocre.

Wrong. Civ II is the best one in the series.

*prepares to get lynched*

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-14, 05:43 AM
at what point does the righteousness of one's cause justify starting a global thermonuclear war?

Since ever?

In the end, that was at least Liquid's and Big Boss's goal.

Big Boss never wanted nuclear war. Nuclear war was too impersonal for Big Boss' tastes. None of the Metal Gears he stole were capable of launching a nuclear weapon(unlike the Shagohad).

Civilians: When the other guy has a gun, you are irrelevant.

And how can you call Solid Snake a bad guy?

How can you call him a good guy? He's murdered innocent men who are just doing their jobs. :smalltongue:

My opinions:

2d Metroid was awesome. Everything else? Sucked.

I enjoy HALO because my friends play it. No other reason what so ever.

I hate Tekken.

I hate Soul Caliber.

I hate DoA.

Infact, I hate fighting games.

I hate DoA: Beach Volleyball.

I hate a game where the only draw is the breast physics.

I don't understand WoW. Why are you addicted to wasting your time doing nothing for months on end to only start the whole thing over again?

The PS3 is a joke.

The Wii has a funny name.

X360 was the only console I wanted to purchase. It has yet to fail me.

Gears of War was overhyped.

Charity
2007-11-14, 05:50 AM
MOO2 kicks civ 2's arse Archie.

Oh I agree with the guy that liked Freelancer, though once you bought a Titan, what was the point?

edit - and as for fighting games, Bushido blade is the one, health bars are for wusses.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-14, 05:56 AM
Oh I agree with the guy that liked Freelancer, though once you bought a Titan, what was the point?

I loved that game. But ya.. Once you get a Super Heavy it kinda becomes silly to continue playing.

Reinboom
2007-11-14, 06:11 AM
Ok mine:
I can't STAND Final Fantasy games! I can't stand most dragon quest games. And almost everything in between. Random monsters over and over are not fun. They are repetitive and annoying. I like the stories, I like the boss fights. A fight every couple seconds? No thank you. Boring Boring Boring.
Seiken Densetsu series you could at least interact and skip over the fights. Chrono Trigger you could skip over the fights. Even pokemon had repels! All of these I consider superior to Final Fantasy (yes, I just said pokemon is superior to Final Fantasy) by this alone.

I hate Kingdom Hearts. Once again, repetition is annoying.

Civilization 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition is superior to Test of Time.

Dreamcast was a great system.

PS3 is not worth it. I'd rather eat.

The infinity engine is superior to the aurora engine (and all branches of the aurora engine).

Poison_Fish
2007-11-14, 06:42 AM
I just wish Blizzard would stop ripping off the Warhammer universe. They have the Diablo setting. They should use it.

I just wish the warhammer universe would stop ripping off the Tolkien universe.

Oh wait.

Anyway, Bungie made extremely excellent products until they were bought out by Microsoft, where Microsoft proceeded to suck the life out of them to hype up their Xbox. As a result, every cool franchise that Bungie ever made was tossed aside. Also, Halo was supposed to be an RTS, but that wouldn't sell on an console. Actually, this further reinforces my theory, any great concept made by one company then tossed to another by their parent companies gets runied. See, NWN2, Oni, Myth 3, Halo Wars(Can we say age of empires? Oh, and stolen work), and many, many other examples.

Also, the marine from Marathon can take down the Master Chief and Samus, with his single fist, at the same time.

I like doing my taxes in EVE online. Conversely, I like WoW, but if only for my guild mates.

Everquest sucked massively, as did ultima, and shadowbane. Dark Age was fairly innovative and became the model upon which many other MMO's followed, including WoW.

I'm a huge fan of DotA, sue me. I've dealt with all the reasons against it quite easily(except for one argument that I'm forced to agree with).

Spiderweb software makes some of the best single player RPG's out there.

I think Fallout 2 is excellent and anyone who complains is just bitter. Fallout tactics on the other hand...

Civ 2 and Moo2 remain some of the best civ. based strategy games to date. Also, Alpha Centauri is full of win, to this day.

Winterwind
2007-11-14, 07:52 AM
Essentially, if you didn't build exactly the counter to the reaver drop, you would die the moment the reaver hit your base. Even if you did build the right counter, you'd probably lose a ton of workers and/or defenses. I see. Thanks.

* The storyline of WCIII was very predictable. Arthas turning death knight? Please. It was obvious by Stratholme. Agreed. Though I think the story was supposed to work by the tragic of this course of events being evident to the player from the start while not being able to do anything to prevent it, rather than surprise.

* Actually, the Blizzard folks tend to keep on telling the same stories...over and over. Arthas is Kerrigan is the warrior from Diablo.I am probably one of the greatest Blizzard fanboys around here, with me loving each and every Blizzard game so far to no ends, but with this, I agree. I've been thinking the same thing for ages.
Chris Metzen is a capable world creator... but he should allow others to contribute more.

DeathQuaker
2007-11-14, 08:02 AM
The Sims should be staked out on the ground, smeared in honey and left for the fire ants

Dude, I love the Sims, but that torture should've totally been included in the latest expansion pack. When you're right, you're right. :smalltongue:

As it is, they can die from massive fly attack. Close enough?

As for my unpopular opinion, I've seen it posted here already and was surprised to see I was not a lone misfit in my shame: I couldn't stand FFVII. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it, the gameplay was AWFUL, and the occasional moments of half-decent animated scenes weren't good enough to slog through the game to get to.

Also, I hate First Person Shooters. All of them. Though this is partly because there's something about the FP movement/POV that makes me literally nauseous.

Hermit
2007-11-14, 08:38 AM
Ok, here goes:

-The PS3 is actually a lot better than many give it credit for.
-Resistance: Fall of Man is better than the Halo series.
-Max Payne 1 was better than Max Payne 2
-I quite liked Killzone on the PS2
-I prefer Oblivion to Morrowind (I wish I didn't, but I just can't bring myself to play Morrowind anymore, mostly due to the woeful combat).
-Final Fantasy IX is the best of the series, and one of the few 3D ones actually worth playing.
-FF: Crystal Chronicles was a great game, even in single player mode.
-Breath of Fire 3 > FFVII
-Gothic 3 is a great game
-Thief: Deadly Shadows was the best of the trilogy
-Starcraft is overrated
-The Dawn of War games and expansions are the best RTS games ever released.
-The Dreamcast did not deserve to die.
-Shenmue needs a re-release and third chapter.
-The Metroid Prime series is superior to the 2D metroid games (They're still ace, but Prime 1-3 are better)
-Twilight Princess lacked any sort of plot depth. Also Ilya > Midna
-Double Dash is the best Mario Kart thus far released.
-Warcraft 3's plot is identical to Starcraft's.
-The only fun part of WoW is the Battlegrounds.

That's enough unpopular opinions for the moment I think

Edit: Oh, and one more:
-I actually enjoyed playing Myst I-III. And I will probably play 4 and 5 at some point in the future, too.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-14, 08:43 AM
1) Both Final Fantasy VII and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time are horrendeously overrated and have not aged well.

2) Final Fantasy XI is a good MMO. Also, Blue Mage is the best class.

3) World of Warcraft and EVE Online are fun for the first hour or so, then start to get boring.

4) Temple of Elemental Evil is a good game.

5) Planescape: Torment has not aged well. But it's still fun.

6) Super Mario 64 hasn't aged wel, either. The DS rerelease is awful.

7) Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game ever (although Galaxy is probably better still).

Freelance Henchman
2007-11-14, 10:09 AM
Deus Ex: Invisible War was really good. It wasn't as good as the original Deus Ex, but it was damn good.

I enjoyed Neverwinter Nights 2 more than the first. And I kind of liked the ending.

Ditto on the above. Also, Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation rules.

SmartAlec
2007-11-14, 10:21 AM
I prefer online RPing to pen-and-paper RPing.

Jerthanis
2007-11-14, 10:23 AM
*spoilered to avoid taking up space, is just a lot of other people's posts*

PS3 is NOT (!!) the best console out there, even if the sony fanboys say it is (over and over again :smallsigh: ), Wii and Xbox are far better

Nintendo/Wii is NOT a toy for small children (come on sony fan boys, where are you?)

The best zelda game was A Link to the past (Super Nintendo).
Majoras Mask was just...well...boring.
Phantom Hour Glass was too easy.

Tekken was not the best beat 'em up ever. Someone already said that.

GTA is really awfull. Maybe fun for...uhm... 30 minutes. Boring after that.

The Pokemon games (the real ones, not crap like Snap) are awesome.

Neverwinter Nights had a terrible, terrible engine.

Dropping spellbooks and adding the run option makes up for anything bad Diablo 2 did a hundred times over.

My opinions:

I hate Tekken.

I hate DoA: Beach Volleyball.

The PS3 is a joke.

The Wii has a funny name.

I hate Kingdom Hearts. Once again, repetition is annoying.

Dreamcast was a great system.

PS3 is not worth it. I'd rather eat.

The infinity engine is superior to the aurora engine (and all branches of the aurora engine).

-Max Payne 1 was better than Max Payne 2
-I quite liked Killzone on the PS2
-The Dawn of War games and expansions are the best RTS games ever released.
-The Dreamcast did not deserve to die.
-Shenmue needs a re-release and third chapter.
-Double Dash is the best Mario Kart thus far released.
-Warcraft 3's plot is identical to Starcraft's.
-I actually enjoyed playing Myst I-III. And I will probably play 4 and 5 at some point in the future, too.
(various snips here and there)

I'm sorry to interject here, but from reading your various posts I can only assume you are all dimensional travelers of some kind, because 90% of your posts are mentioning these opinions as "unpopular" in some way, when they're almost entirely mainstream, mild opinions which no one would really find unpopular or statements of pure fact that no one but the most ardent fanboy would present some fanwank to disprove. Like a Blizzard fanboy presenting some inconsequential difference between Arthas and Kerrigan, for example. As such, we clearly are somehow communicating across alternate dimensions through the medium of this forum. Much can be learned about science and stuff if we establish a dialogue across this unbreachable gap!

I'm going to defend my statement that my liking Tekken was an unpopular opinion... if that makes any sense. I think a plurality of gamers think Tekken sucks. I run into a whole lot of people who hate Tekken a great deal. Even in circles of people who play a great variety of fighting games, and even when our tastes line up on 2d fighters. I feel strongly like they didn't give Tekken a fair shake before judging it. The first reason I feel people judge it is that it isn't immediately intuitive when you pick up the controller. I'm the first to admit, Tekken isn't an easy game to be a beginner at. The other reason is that I theorize that somehow, every single person on the planet had a friend who introduced them to the series with Tekken 2 or Tekken 3, refused to explain the game to them, and proceeded to beat them up for hours on end. This has happened to every single friend of mine who plays fighting games, though we all came to the experience through different and unrelated jerks. Somehow, the Tekken series had become at that time the bastion of the self aggrandizing Jerk of every group of friends, and many people continue nursing grudges against the game because of that. This includes me until about 2005.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-14, 10:35 AM
Jerthanis: I don't know if people like Tekken or not. Thats entirely their choice. But for me, it's a fighting game, ergo, it's a horrific waste of my time and energy. And I know quite a few people who enjoy DoA: Beach Volleyball, the PS3, and enjoy the Wii's intuitive approach to getting people to remember the name of their game system.

Shikton
2007-11-14, 10:56 AM

QFT.

And I'll add: Fallout Tactics was FUN!

Some of the best games ever are the Championship/Football Manager series by SI Games.

Random battles and turn based fighting in JRPGs is good.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-14, 10:56 AM
Baldur's Gate I was a really bad game full of fake difficulty, crap characterisation and terrible level design.

Gold and Silver were the worse Pokemon games (I haven't played Diamond and Pearl yet, so they may be worse).

A female videogame character can be a good character and still be a slut, it's just most videogames suck (as illustrated by Sturgeon's Revelation) their are fewer well written characters in videogames then there are troops in my 500 point warhammer army.

Super Smash brothers is an okay game but I don't want to play it again.#

Combos is fighting games just aren't worth my time.

The original Doom shows you what's wrong with most FPS games every time you play it.

Doom 3 was good and atmospheric.

Playing one Zelda game was enough. Golden Sun has better puzzles. I'm talking about the 2d ones here, never played a 3d one.

Alien VS Predator (not the sequal or the really old game which had the same name) is better than Half Life.

The infinity engine has you walking around paintings. Of course it looks better than the Aurora engine. The Aurora Engine had the balls to sacrifise everthing the Infinity engine did well in order to do something differant and give excellent customability without an overly complex toolset.

Never Winter Nights is more of an RPG than Baldur's Gate because you can only play a single character.

I'd rather play a crap game with a few novel ideas then a genericly polished game.

Freelance Henchman
2007-11-14, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure if this fits here, but anyway: Gushing game reviews hurt a game more than they help it.

I just thought of this because I keep stumbling over mentions of that goddamn Crysis game in just a few too many places. I hate it already, and I haven't even seen a gameplay video, let alone played it.

Tekraen
2007-11-14, 11:01 AM
Since ever?

Big Boss never wanted nuclear war. Nuclear war was too impersonal for Big Boss' tastes. None of the Metal Gears he stole were capable of launching a nuclear weapon(unlike the Shagohad).

What? The original Metal Gear game has Solid Snake sneaking into Outer Heaven to stop Big Boss from using Metal Gear, which was capable, and posessed, nookular weapons.

Yes, nookular.

The Final Fantasy series should've ended with 3/6 and Kefka. All villains after Kefka are pale imitations.

Chris Metzen needs to fact-check his worlds before publishing, as well as allow other people to help out. I keep expecting the Exodar to do a barrel roll and fire torpedoes. SPACE PALADINS! I keep naming my Draenei 'Baikonur' to see if anyone gets the reference.

Then I remember it's World of Warcraft, and I would have to name him RUSSIAN COSMODROME GUY for the average WoWer to get the reference.

I like WoW. It's simple fun and very playable if you turn off General and Trade chat.

Fallout 2 was broken and shouldn't have been released as it was. If it wasn't for the capable and loyal fanbase fixing the mistakes it was released with, it would've been so much more horrible. That they're releasing an expansion to make it a whole new game is a credit to their perseverence.

Hideo Kojima needs meds. I direct your attention to MGS2 in its entirety.

Alternate Reality for the Atari is the best RPG ever made. I weep that the company was not able to release all six games for the series, stopping after "The Dungeon".

Questron for the Atari is the second best RPG ever made. I was routinely chased out of town for bankrupting their casinos.

Star Control 3 was not unplayable because it was substandard to Star Control 2. It was unplayable because the story sucked.

Bioshock is overrated.

Assassin's Creed is overrated.

Spore is overrated.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-14, 11:09 AM
Spore is overrated.

I like how you can play games that haven't come out yet and pass your omniscient judgement on them.

Cubey
2007-11-14, 11:21 AM
I'd like to stir the cauldron by mentioning that many opinions here aren't really that unpopular. Some of them are unpopular amongst lollerboys, but very popular among people who have some kind of brain activity (example: "Halo sucks". Which I neither agree or disagree with, having not played the game).

So, try harder people.

Green Bean
2007-11-14, 11:23 AM
I like how you can play games that haven't come out yet and pass your omniscient judgement on them.

That isn't necessarily true. Time travel is also an option. :smalltongue:

Jerthanis
2007-11-14, 11:26 AM
Jerthanis: I don't know if people like Tekken or not. Thats entirely their choice. But for me, it's a fighting game, ergo, it's a horrific waste of my time and energy. And I know quite a few people who enjoy DoA: Beach Volleyball, the PS3, and enjoy the Wii's intuitive approach to getting people to remember the name of their game system.

I understand, and I wasn't really meaning to address your point specifically. Your preference for non-fighting games is perfectly okay... I just noticed that several people were posting their opinions that Tekken Sucked, meaning from their perspective it was widely considered a popular, good game. I was trying to clarify that in my experience, it's considered an unpopular, bad game among fans of fighting games, when my opinion is that it's a very very good fighting game.

Ugh! I get the feeling I'm just confusing the whole issue more!

Someone remind me to not post when I've stayed up all night for no discernible reason.

Tekraen
2007-11-14, 11:28 AM

Thank you. I've found that my omniscience is greatly helped when games have been hyped for well over a year before even being considered for release.

The game can never live up to that kind of hype. So yes, it will be overrated.

Castaras
2007-11-14, 11:30 AM

QFT on both those points. :smalltongue:

WoW is boring and tedious. It has pretty graphics, but that's about it.

I prefer the later Might and Magic games to the earlier ones. (Ie, I didn't really like 4, 5 and 6, but do like 7, 8 and 9. Especially 9.)

Sports games are complete and utter BS. They're boring.

As are games like the Sims. Gods, how I hate the Sims...

And, not really an opinion, but I have never played, nor do I currently intend to play: Any Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Halo.

What's its name...Grand Theft Auto, I think...I played it when I was 9/10ish, when round a friend's house. It was so boring. Wasn't even funny.

Winterwind
2007-11-14, 11:32 AM
That isn't necessarily true. Time travel is also an option. :smalltongue:As is precognition/divination. :smallcool:

I'm really tempted to start a counter thread to this one, where people voice their support for their favourite games no matter whether these are popular or not, or express any other opinions which do not fit into this thread here (kinda to counterweigh all that negativity), but I don't know how to set up the topic in such a way that it does not end up as "state your opinion randomly".

Personally, I think StarCraft is, for all its fame, still underrated. Even after spending hours over hours playing games and watching replays one still discovers new and new layers of complexity, strategy and astounding feats of micromanagement one did not know - or could not appreciate - before, and few people who have not watched Korean progamers at play know how incredible things are possible in that game. :smalltongue:

Tekraen
2007-11-14, 11:40 AM
As is precognition/divination. :smallcool:

Personally, I hone my precognition skills in the Dominic Deegan thread. :smallbiggrin:

I'm really tempted to start a counter thread to this one, where people voice their support for their favourite games no matter whether these are popular or not, or express any other opinions which do not fit into this thread here (kinda to counterweigh all that negativity), but I don't know how to set up the topic in such a way that it does not end up as "state your opinion randomly".

Personally, I think StarCraft is, for all its fame, still underrated. Even after spending hours over hours playing games and watching replays one still discovers new and new layers of complexity, strategy and astounding feats of micromanagement one did not know - or could not appreciate - before, and few people who have not watched Korean progamers at play know how incredible things are possible in that game. :smalltongue:

Theoretically that's what we're doing here. The opinions stated are merely failing in their inflammatory nature.

Such as this: Mass Effect's release was only an excuse to get alien lesbian porn by the ESRB.

Jibar
2007-11-14, 11:44 AM
I just wish the warhammer universe would stop ripping off the Tolkien universe.

Aw, you got there first. :smalltongue:

In my opinion:

-Tekken is, in fact, the best 3d fighting Franchise, just ahead of Rival Schools. Skip Tekken 4 though, that one sucked. The game IS fluid if you actually understand the mechanics and have studied your character's move list. Pressing random buttons gets you nowhere...

-Unlike the buttonmashy Soul Calibers and Dead or Alive serieses, which get by on skimpy clothes rather than actual good gameplay. Virtua Fighter 4 is supposed to be the deepest fighting game that exists, but I have little experience with it, and didn't like it of what little I played of it. Soul Caliber and DoA are jokes.

I'm a huge fan of fighting games (I hadn't realised this until I picked up Dead or Alive 4 actually), and I consider Tekken to actually be the dark horse of the genre.
I don't want to study move lists. I want to get into the game, learn a couple moves through actual combat, and be able to play the game to a satisfactory level.
Tekken 2 was good. I liked Tekken 2. But playing the demo for Tekken 5 is utter torture for me. After dozens of play throughs, I still cannot grasp any sort of combo. And this isn't a single match. This about six games. I've probably played about a hundred battles actually, and still cannot get it.
Dead or Alive 4, I picked it up, and I ran. Hell, I could take Kokoro, a character I had never played with before, and could beat the insanely difficult story mode.
Fighting games should not require you to sit there for hours memorising move lists. You should be able to pick it up and play for quarter of an hour, no effort needed. Pick up and play is essential in these games, especially considering most heavily emphasise multiplayer. What's the point of playing Tekken multiplayer if you both are gonna have to sit there and read a list for half an hour before you can even think about playing? I'm just gonna load up Soul Calibur II, and waste a few hours actually enjoying myself.
And on the subject of skimpy clothes, seriously? Soul Calibur? Ivy and Taki are the only sexed up ones I see. All the others are wearing believable outfits considering their nationalities and histories. DOA, yes, suffers from this a bit, but it still delivers an easy to pick up yet fun to master combat system, making it worth playing, even if you don't like the chicks.

Yours has been the only real opinion on this thread that I have to argue. All others I can believe.

Zukhramm
2007-11-14, 12:10 PM
Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker are much better than Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess
I liked Raiden

Prophaniti
2007-11-14, 12:18 PM
I am slowly fighting a losing war against people who are bringing terms coined in MMORPGs (I'm looking at you WoW) into discussions of unrelated games. I nearly lost it at a gaming store the other week when a guy was talking about a D&D 3.5 Sorcerer in terms of his DPS potential.

I'm sick of hearing healbot etc at my table for D&D. Take your new age terms away from my old and noble game... oh.. and Tank is one of ours!

God, that's so true! Let us band together to save our beloved P&P games from being contaminated by the philistine WoWers who seem to think that roleplaying means an unpronouncable name and typing in an accent!:smallfurious:

Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker are much better than Ocarina of Time and Twilight PrincessHmm... Ok, Zukhramm, I cant trust a single thing you say ever again. If I knew you irl I dont think I could look you in the eye any more...

EDIT:The Might and Magic franchise was beautiful once... 3DO almost killed it, but went under before they could finish it off. Then Ubisoft got it, and diced it into little pieces, soaked them in gasoline, burned them, placed them in an atomic testing site and BLEW IT ALL TO HELL!
(in all seriousness, Heroes V was pretty good, but Dark Messiah missed the entire appeal of the series and failed to deliver everything they promised except good graphics. Non-linear story? Sorry, fresh out.)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-14, 01:00 PM
Soul Calibur? Ivy and Taki are the only sexed up ones I see.

Ho hum...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dJmXIrgmY9c

Soul Calibur is full of sexualised under age girls. The only reason you only noticed Ivy and Taki is that you have the austere position of not being a paedophile.

Talanic
2007-11-14, 01:10 PM
Some responses here:

Thief: Deadly Shadows? Good storyline continuation. Mediocre gameplay mechanics and an appalling drop in level design from the previous games. Security system in Thief II? Magical camera-masks and wall-mounted grenade launchers that track your movements. Hidden doors and secreted-away treasures. Security system in ultra-thief-proof museum in Thief: DS? A big frickin' tesla coil. Doesn't move, doesn't track you, just go upstairs and hit the off switch. You'd have to be blind to miss it, deaf to not hear it, and have the grace of a bear in high heeled shoes to actually be threatened by it. And this was typical of the difficulty through the game. Dialogue was stilted, too; the writers worked in plot cues with the subtlety of a brick to the face.

PS3? Well, I've only played Xbox 360 and PS3, and of the PS3 only Resistance: Fall of Man. PS3 is still a bit too pricey for me, but if Resistance winds up being typical of the console, I like it. Xbox 360 had Gears of War, which I didn't like at all. Other games on the console are decent enough, though, so I won't complain.

Age of Empires bored me also. Gameplay just didn't match what I wanted, buildings were too tough for units to destroy and built units too quickly; an invading army might wipe out an enemy army but be unable to destroy the town before enough reinforcements were built to repel them. Limited healing abilities also hurt there. I didn't play long, so I am pretty sure the game's more intricate, but it didn't hook me.

Porthos
2007-11-14, 01:16 PM
Not every Computer Role Playing Game has to be Real Time Strategy Based That Requires You To Have The Reflexes Of A Jackrabbit On Speed. Heck, an old fashioned Ultima Style Turn Based CRPG might be nice.

You know, for a change of pace.

valadil
2007-11-14, 01:43 PM
Aw, you got there first. :smalltongue:

Fighting games should not require you to sit there for hours memorising move lists. You should be able to pick it up and play for quarter of an hour, no effort needed.

I think this is why we see such a rift in whether people prefer Tekken or Soul Calibre. There have been a lot of posts in here about how one is better than the other. Seems like everyone has an opinion. I prefer Tekken because of the memorization. I put in my time, learned my moves, and got an awesome experience out of it. What I really appreciate about the game is that when you're really into it the moves just make sense. When I was playing regularly I could watch someone do a 10hit combo I'd never seen before and figure out how it worked just from that one viewing. Tekken is the only fighting game I've seen that has that much depth.

Of course it also helps that I've been playing regularly since Tekken 2. The games build on each other. It's not like starting from scratch each time a new Tekken comes out. Also, when I was first learning I didn't memorize moves lists, I just opened the manual. It had a page of moves for most characters. These were simple things that required little time to learn. Much better than trying to digest the whole list all at once.

Cristo Meyers
2007-11-14, 01:46 PM
I like turn-based better than real-time.

There has yet to be a decent standard Final Fantasy game for Playstation (FF Tactics is non-standard).

Civ 3 is the best Civilization so far.

I didn't feel that KOTOR 2 was rushed (granted, I didn't even know it was rushed to production until I'd finished it...last week)

Dragor
2007-11-14, 02:27 PM
The only excuse for Majora's Mask 'sucking' so far which I've seen was that it didn't have enough dungeons. I'm sorry, but the dungeons which it DID have were better than the ones in Ocarina of Time by far. What it had was enough.

Winterwind
2007-11-14, 03:16 PM
Age of Empires bored me also. Gameplay just didn't match what I wanted, buildings were too tough for units to destroy and built units too quickly; an invading army might wipe out an enemy army but be unable to destroy the town before enough reinforcements were built to repel them. Limited healing abilities also hurt there. I didn't play long, so I am pretty sure the game's more intricate, but it didn't hook me.Agreed. I didn't like the balance (though I admit I might have not played it long enough), but especially, I didn't like the pacing. It seemed so awfully slow to me.
Not a bad game by any means, but it was not able to keep my interest for long.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 03:26 PM
-
The PS3 is actually a lot better than many give it credit for.

:D

Finally, a kindred spirit!

Sam Panda
2007-11-14, 03:27 PM
Okay, I have but one unpopular gaming opinion here:

NOT ALL IMMATURE PEOPLE ARE 12 YEAR OLDS.

Sorry, but I'm 14, and have been a gaming kid for a long while, and the majority of anyone I encounter who is immature on a video game is 16-20.

Yes of course 30+ people are probably going to be more mature, but just, please...

Stop it with the 12 year old hating.

indianajoe
2007-11-14, 03:28 PM
* All three current generation console's are great in their own right and should be respected as such...not drooled and flamed over.

* Diablo 2 would have been better if it had kept the spell books.

* I liked the first Final Fantasy and that was it.

* I'm looking forward to Oblivion's Fallout 3.

* I think Smash Brothers Melee is a far more enjoyable fighting game than any other.

Dragor
2007-11-14, 03:29 PM
* All three current generation console's are great in their own right and should be respected as such...not drooled and flamed over.

* I think Smash Brothers Melee is a far more enjoyable fighting game than any other.

My friend, you echo my views perfectly. *claps*

Talanic
2007-11-14, 03:38 PM
Okay, I have but one unpopular gaming opinion here:

NOT ALL IMMATURE PEOPLE ARE 12 YEAR OLDS.

Sorry, but I'm 14, and have been a gaming kid for a long while, and the majority of anyone I encounter who is immature on a video game is 16-20.

Yes of course 30+ people are probably going to be more mature, but just, please...

Stop it with the 12 year old hating.

Ah yeah. I forget that now.

I started playing Everquest at around age 17. Most players assumed I was a lot older than that 8)

Gaelbert
2007-11-14, 04:36 PM
Halo is good, but not special.
Civilization 2 is better than the thrid by a lot, and better than the foruth by a little.

ArtifexFelicis
2007-11-14, 04:45 PM
In the spirit of Fighting games, these may not be unpopular, but opinions none the less. In that same token, unless I say otherwise, I probably love the series.

-Guilty Gear is King.
-Darkstalkers is Queen.
-Street Fighter 2 is the court jester that pulls the strings and influences everything.

-Cassandra is better then Sophitia.
-Siegfried is a runt.
-Nightmare isn't as cool as Siegfried.
-Ivy's second costume is almost always her more realistic choice for battle. Minus the armor/gauntlet thing she wears.

-DoA survives by hot girls and an above average system of fighting. Not truly awesome, but fun.
-Bloody Roar was fun dammit!
-Powerstone Series is truly awesome.
-Tekken sucks, but is still a fun game to play no matter what. Also does not receive the credit it deserves for the Part 2-d/Part 3-d style of fighting that it first did well.

-Chell from Portal is cooler then Master Chief.
-Master Chief is a cool character, though very one dimensional.

Dr. Bath
2007-11-14, 04:49 PM
Final Fantasy is dull and the plot lackluster. I liked the earlier ones marginally more than the later ones. I particularly disliked FF7.

*runs away*

Winterwind
2007-11-14, 04:51 PM
Civilization 2 is better than the thrid by a lot, and better than the foruth by a little.This is unpopular?
Pretty much everyone I know (and there is a rather large number of Civilisation nuts amongst them) seems to share this opinion.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-14, 04:51 PM
Civilization 2 is better than the thrid by a lot, and better than the foruth by a little.

That's unpopular? I thought that was the general consensus...maybe I've been hanging around the wrong groups, I thought I was unpopular when I said I liked Civ IV a little more than II. =P

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-14, 05:22 PM
Final Fantasy is dull and the plot lackluster. I liked the earlier ones marginally more than the later ones. I particularly disliked FF7.

*runs away*

The whole point of this thread is that you don't have to runaway when you post on it.

Plenty of people hate FF7 as well, though it is a minority opinion.

warty goblin
2007-11-14, 05:29 PM
The whole point of this thread is that you don't have to runaway when you post on it.

Plenty of people hate FF7 as well, though it is a minority opinion.

If by hate FF7 (or any FF game for that matter) you mean "abhor the concept, artwork, setting, gameplay, and character archtypes", then you can count me in that group.

Setra
2007-11-14, 05:35 PM
1) Both Final Fantasy VII and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time are horrendeously overrated and have not aged well.

2) Final Fantasy XI is a good MMO. Also, Blue Mage is the best class.
1. I'll agree they are overrated (Though FFVII seems iffy at this point because everyone thinks it's overrated, making it possibly underrated)... and they haven't aged well... but they're still fun.

2. Paladin > You

I hate Dirge of Cerberus and the other FF games (like Crystal Chronicles) who have nothing in common with FF but their name.

All of those are popular opinions.

Also, technically that first one isn't an opinion.. I'm pretty sure it is a fact that the PS3 has better hardware, making it 'better' in that respect, however when Xbox fanboys hate on that fact, they're being hypocritical.

"XBOX > PS2 cuz Xbox haz best grafics evar!"

Which is sadly the opposite now sadly, makes me ashamed to be a Sony fan sometimes. Really the 360 does have better games, but.. this brings me to my next opinions.

* Games make a console
* The SNES is better than any next gen console, by virtue of this fact
* Also, the PS2

Incidentally, Xbox fanboys/fangirls are worse than any other fanboy/fangirl, ever, even Sephiroth fanboys/fangirls.

Damnit.. in any case, I'd rather not talk about consoles, they get me worked up.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-14, 05:44 PM
I loved Civ IV. I did not like Civ II. Civ III was mediocre.

Artanis
2007-11-14, 05:51 PM
I love Civ4 as well, and didn't particularly care for Civ3. I never played enough Civ2 to really form an opinion.

FWIW, as far as I can tell, the general consensus is, in fact, that Civ3 is worse than both Civ2 and Civ4. Which one is considered better out of 2 vs 4, I have no clue :smallconfused:

Reinboom
2007-11-14, 06:06 PM
Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker are much better than Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess

I can't say much for Twilight Princess, but, I must also state that I preferred Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time. The Wind Waker... meh. Majora's Mask is golden to me, however.

* The SNES is better than any next gen console, by virtue of this fact
I agree... but I thought this was a popular opinion :smallconfused:

Winterwind
2007-11-14, 06:10 PM
FWIW, as far as I can tell, the general consensus is, in fact, that Civ3 is worse than both Civ2 and Civ4. Which one is considered better out of 2 vs 4, I have no clue :smallconfused:That's pretty much the same impression I got as well regarding the general consensus (not having played any Civ games beyond 2 I can't comment on them myself though).

However, as for Civ 2... I consider Alpha Centauri to be better than it, for a multitude of reasons (like diverse factions, a more complex social model and world wonders/projects which do not become obsolete)..

Setra
2007-11-14, 06:16 PM
I agree... but I thought this was a popular opinion :smallconfused:
It used to be, I think most gamers these days are concerned with what they know, and overall less and less percentage have played the SNES.

Off topic question: Will you be able to buy third party games (ex. Crono Trigger, Terranigma) on the Wii virtual console? Or is it only 'Nintendo' games like Metroid and Mario?

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-14, 06:20 PM
I can't say much for Twilight Princess, but, I must also state that I preferred Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time. The Wind Waker... meh. Majora's Mask is golden to me, however.

Majora's Mask 4 lyfe, yo.

Yes. Best game for the N64, in my opinion. I'm loathe to ever label anything "best game ever", but Majora's Mask comes close.

Gaelbert
2007-11-14, 06:34 PM
Mmm... I'm the only person that I know of personally that likes Civ 2, and most of my friends play 3 or 4. Granted, I will admit that most of my friends would not be the type to frequent forums such as these, and thusly would have vastly different opinions than the lot of y'all. Nothing bad to either of the groups I mentioned of course, I stay in both of them, so they can't be too bad.:smalltongue:
I guess the unpopular part would be that I think 2 is better than 4 though.

13_CBS
2007-11-14, 07:36 PM
I actually liked Lair. Well, the demo anyway.

I think the PS3, while not great now, has the most potential out of the three current consoles.

Ocarina of Time was fun, but not great.

Arcanum is my favorite game of all time. EVER.

Tribes 2 with mods is a close second.

Halo is fun and is a blast to play with friends, but otherwise...not that great.

Diablo 2 was addictive and kinda fun, but not awesometastic.

Dark Messiah = most excellent swordplay game. EVER.

Reinboom
2007-11-14, 07:52 PM
Despite it not being worth it, in my opinion, the PS3 is actually undercosted. (360 and Wii? Amazingly undercosted....)
(seriously... atari 2600 costed $199 when it was released. From 1977 to 2006 - there's an inflation conversion factor of 0.301. Which means, the atari was about equivalent to $661.13 USD. Compare)

Arian
2007-11-14, 07:58 PM

I haven't. :smalltongue:

warty goblin
2007-11-14, 08:28 PM
Dark Messiah = most excellent swordplay game. EVER.

QFT

Well, actually there's an indi game called Mount and Blade that I play that has swordplay that in some ways rivals Dark Messiah. There's less gore (no de-limbing) and no special attacks, but it emphasis on carefully timed blocks and strikes, as well as the exponential growth in difficulty the more enemies that you engage with at a time make it more realistic IMHO. Also, it does mounted combat very very well, better than any other implementation that I've seen. It actually makes riding a horse a serious advantage in combat, infantry has to struggle to deal with cavalry.

Manticorkscrew
2007-11-14, 08:28 PM
I've got an unpopular opinion to share: I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII.

But I'm willing to admit that it's a very flawed game, and it probably influenced me far too much at a young age.

ZombieRockStar
2007-11-14, 08:36 PM
This certainly isn't a blatant ripoff of another thread in the media section, nosiree.

What have I done?

My God, what have I done?

:smallwink: (uh...I have nothing to actually contribute...other than to say I also stole the idea from another forum)

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 08:52 PM
On the subject of the SNES, I love the thing, but I still like my newer systems better (PS3 mostly, because not only does it have some games I really like on it, but it also lets me play me PS2/PS1 games. So now I can sell my old PS2. Then I'm using the money to buy Folklore.)

I've been trying to get into Super Mario World again. I have no idea WHY, since I pretty much beat everything in that game 86 1/2 times, but I'm still trying to play it again.

Oh, and here's another unpopular opinion:

PSP > DS

Touchscreens make me angry.

Querzis
2007-11-14, 08:57 PM
It seems lots of people have odd gaming opinions around here...or, more likely, everyone does but they usually dont say it except in thread like these. Anyway:

WoW is pretty good but I really dont find it addictive. Seriously, saying you hate WoW is not an unpopular gaming opinions because anyone who dont play WoW and even many people who play it say they hate this game (I have been on the world of warcraft forum before, I dont get why so many people who seems to REALLY hate this game still play it). I played many other MMORPG and WoW is my favorite though I must say I dont seems to like MMORPG much in the first place. But I played it for one year and I really dont get those who are addicted to this game, I stopped playing because I though they really killed the lore and that was the first reason I got that game (loved Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3 and all the books.) Seriously, I just made one character (an orc warrior) it took me 9 months to get him to level 60 and even though I really enjoyed playing as a level 60, I played like 4 or 5 hours a week maximum and I was always playing Warcraft 3 a lot more then WoW, I really dont see whats supposed to be addictive about that game...

I love all the 3D Sonic games, especially Sonic adventure 2 and I really dont have any trouble with the camera, the controls or the gameplay (though I gotta admit the story is getting really really dumb...)

I think Worm 3D was better then Worm armaggedon. Just like the Sonic games, I really had no problem with the camera, the controls or the gameplay even if everyone told me it was crappy.

There isnt any game I really hate, I enjoy playing pretty much anything. The game I dont like are just games that arent as fun as the games I like and the game I like are not as fun as the games I love but they are still all pretty fun...now thats gotta be the most unpopular gaming opinion ever!

Winterwind
2007-11-14, 09:12 PM
There isnt any game I really hate, I enjoy playing pretty much anything. The game I dont like are just games that arent as fun as the games I like and the game I like are not as fun as the games I love but they are still all pretty fun...now thats gotta be the most unpopular gaming opinion ever!No, actually, I think pretty much the same.

There are games I like more and there are games I like less, but I don't recall having ever encountered a game I found to not be fun at all. Even if I per chance ended up playing a game from a genre I usually do not enjoy as much.

Rogue 7
2007-11-14, 09:17 PM
Twilight Princess was better than Ocarina of Time. OOT is overrated- still a damn fine game, but overrated.
Windwaker is an awesome game. (I loved it for those knight-dudes who would take 20+ hits to kill. That's damn fun.)
Majora's Mask was, in all respects, equal to OOT.

Any and all RTS's, I hate. I want to play Starcraft, but dammit, I can't play it well. Same goes for Age of Empires, and probably Dawn of War if I get around to it. Turn Based Strategy is better.

Civ 3 was better than Civ 4, though Civ 4 is growing on me.

I couldn't care less about Final Fantasy one way or the other.

Grand Theft Auto sucks hard and completely.

Wii is a truly awesome system with many great games.

Winterwind
2007-11-14, 09:23 PM
I want to play Starcraft, but dammit, I can't play it well.You might find that skill is not a requirement in our GitP BroodWar group. :smallwink:

Turn Based Strategy is better.While I don't share this opinion, I most certainly understand it.

Woot Spitum
2007-11-14, 09:25 PM
*The Gamecube was better than either the Xbox or the Playstation 2.

*Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was better than the original Final Fantasy Tactics.

*The Turok series was actually pretty fun.

*Unreal Tournament 2003 was NOT a complete waste of time and money.

Cubey
2007-11-14, 09:27 PM
Just because someone posted an unpopular gaming opinion here, it doesn't mean it suddenly became popular and you can rebut it with a totally opposite opinion 2-3 posts after. (This is an unpopular opinion because I saw it on this thread a few times too many)

Regarding MMOs mostly:
If a game has a competitive aspect (I do not only mean PvP here!), then the creators shouldn't be afraid to sacrifice realism and roleplaying opportunities in order to make sure that aspect is BALANCED.
If you say "<insert my class/organisation/race/whatever> is underpowered" or "<opponent> is overpowered" then you probably mean "I suck at PvP and whining is easier than trying to become better".

warty goblin
2007-11-14, 09:28 PM
You might find that skill is not a requirement in our GitP BroodWar group. :smallwink:

While I don't share this opinion, I most certainly understand it.

I also suck at RTSs, but doesn't stop me from loving 'em! Mostly its cause I like to zoom in tight on the action and watch the carnage rather than doing something sensible like, I don't know, manage my troops. Perhaps this is why Starcraft bored me, I couldn't really enjoy the massive death my Marines were dealing out to alien scum...

13_CBS
2007-11-14, 10:17 PM
QFT

Well, actually there's an indi game called Mount and Blade that I play that has swordplay that in some ways rivals Dark Messiah. There's less gore (no de-limbing) and no special attacks, but it emphasis on carefully timed blocks and strikes, as well as the exponential growth in difficulty the more enemies that you engage with at a time make it more realistic IMHO. Also, it does mounted combat very very well, better than any other implementation that I've seen. It actually makes riding a horse a serious advantage in combat, infantry has to struggle to deal with cavalry.

Ah, M&B. I'm a veteran of the forums there, and I know that game well.

Have you checked out the latest update, yet? We've got siege towers and stuff now, along with pillagable villages, capturable castles, the works.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 10:35 PM
Mount and Blade sounds good.

Link plz? Kthx.

Eakin
2007-11-14, 10:36 PM
Not yet mentioned:

Okami is better than Zelda

The protagonist of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was the bad guy, no matter what the game tries to tell you

Disgaea 2 is better than Disgaea 1

Not so unpopular, but I'd agree:

Chrono Cross was a lousy game

WOW/GTA/Halo are all overrated

Wind Waker was really, really, good. If it had been finished instead of having dungeons clearly cut out, it may even have ranked above OoT. But Okami was still better

KBF
2007-11-14, 10:36 PM
Mount and Blade sounds good.

Link plz? Kthx.

Hey! Look what google (http://www.google.com/search?q=Mount+and+Blade&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) did!

EDIT: Okay... Uh, hmmm...

*Halo didn't suck. It wasn't just average, either. It had a feel to it, and I enjoyed it.

That's all I can think of right now.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 10:41 PM
Hey! Look what google (http://www.google.com/search?q=Mount+and+Blade&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) did!

EDIT: Okay... Uh, hmmm...

*Halo didn't suck. It wasn't just average, either. It had a feel to it, and I enjoyed it.

That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks. Also, awesome signature. :D

Anyway, another unpopular belief:

The Gamecube didn't suck.

Querzis
2007-11-14, 10:53 PM
The protagonist of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was the bad guy, no matter what the game tries to tell you

I totally agree, this guy was so selfish. I actually never finished the game because I didnt want him to win...nah actually its because I got Golden sun 1&2 and since then, i havent played any other game on my GBA but still, that guy was so annoying. I like it sometimes when bad guys win and some bad guys are my favorite character but I always hate the bad guy who really think hes a good guy even though there isnt anyone more evil then him around of here. Probably because I hate people who think they are better then they are. I'm a bastard and I dont wanna change, now could that guy please admit hes a mass murderer who want to destroy an entire world just because...actually, why did he wanted to destroy the world again?

Edit: ah right, get back home, thank shplane.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 10:59 PM

Crap, I just noticed this.

"Hey guys, let's destroy this entire world and possibly kill thousands of innocent creatures because I'm homesick. Then we can cover it up with the flimsy excuse of 'ESCAPISM'"

Seriously, that "It's escapism!" line he spouted was one of the most retarded things I've ever heard in a game ever.

Maxymiuk
2007-11-15, 12:06 AM
Worms 2 was the best game in the series. No other managed to top the degree of weapon customization it had.

Sacred was more fun than Diablo 2.

On topic of MMO's:

The PvX site for Guild Wars can go hang. I'll make my own damned builds, thank you very much (and do better with them too).

Dallas-Dakota
2007-11-15, 12:13 AM

* I liked the first Final Fantasy and that was it.

I have to agree!

Sucrose
2007-11-15, 12:18 AM
Seriously, that "It's escapism!" line he spouted was one of the most retarded things I've ever heard in a game ever.

Oh, yes. It doesn't really qualify as escapism when you actually have the power to modify the world to your whims, now does it?

Now then, my unpopular opinions (none of these are actually all that heretical, but I feel like sharing anyway):
1.) Final Fantasy VII was a good game; its graphics certainly haven't aged well, but even now, when my tastes have changed dramatically from when I first played it, I still find characters that I find interesting, or at least entertaining.

2.) Tekken is a fun fighting game (I lack experience with other fighting games, so I can't call it a "great" one or anything like that). It's also not that difficult to learn. Just pick your favorite character, learn a move or two, and use basic punches and kicks for everything else. Works fine for me, though I've never been to a tournament or anything like that.

3.) Final Fantasy X was a decent game, but its protagonist sucked, and I enjoyed watching him die.

4.) Final Fantasy VIII's Junction system isn't that bad; it's easy to break, but that's true of all Final Fantasy mechanics, through sheer overleveling if nothing else. If you whine about Drawing from monsters, you're doing it wrong.

5.) The sprite FF games aren't that much better than the later entries (though I'll grant that FFVI is better than most other Final Fantasies; I like getting to decide for yourself who the main character is.)

6.) Turn-based strategy is more fun than RTS; this is mostly due to my inability to juggle tactical and strategic duties.

Setra
2007-11-15, 03:13 AM
At first I missed the 'Advance', and I was gonna yell "Ramza is a bad guy?! Are you CRAZY?!"

Then I saw the advance, and I must say I agree.

Fun game though.

4.) Final Fantasy VIII's Junction system isn't that bad; it's easy to break, but that's true of all Final Fantasy mechanics, through sheer overleveling if nothing else. If you whine about Drawing from monsters, you're doing it wrong.

5.) The sprite FF games aren't that much better than the later entries (though I'll grant that FFVI is better than most other Final Fantasies; I like getting to decide for yourself who the main character is.)

6.) Turn-based strategy is more fun than RTS; this is mostly due to my inability to juggle tactical and strategic duties.
4. Agreed, to be honest FFVIII has my second favorite system for increasing stats in an FF game. (The second I'll mention in a bit)

5. Also agreed, the first six, overall, are just as good as the second six.

6. I love Turn Based games, probably more than RTS.. but I also like multiplayer and the only turn based game I own doesn't have online play.

* FFXs Sphere Grid is my favorite leveling system system in the final fantasy games. Also, I loved the .. er.. actual battle system.. I forgot what it's called.. Not ATB.. either way.

Jerthanis
2007-11-15, 03:15 AM
Fighting games should not require you to sit there for hours memorising move lists. You should be able to pick it up and play for quarter of an hour, no effort needed. Pick up and play is essential in these games, especially considering most heavily emphasise multiplayer. What's the point of playing Tekken multiplayer if you both are gonna have to sit there and read a list for half an hour before you can even think about playing? I'm just gonna load up Soul Calibur II, and waste a few hours actually enjoying myself.

Yours has been the only real opinion on this thread that I have to argue. All others I can believe.

Exactly! My "Unpopular Gaming opinion" is that fighting games should have a layer of obstruction keeping them from being accessible easily to whatever Tom, Richard or Harry picks up the controller. Call it elitism, but I spend hours perfecting techniques, and I don't want to play as Taki, with the perfect combos in my fresh muscle memory, and some guy playing Mitsurugi just whaling on me because button mashing is rewarding. (I've spent maybe ten hours trying to perfect my game as Taki, I've never so much as looked at Mitsurugi's move list, I'm far and away better mashing buttons as Mitsurugi as I am consciously attempting specific moves which I know work well as Taki.)

In Tekken, I see a linear progression of skill. I'm better at playing as Julia and Lei than anyone else is in my group of friends because I've put in the time and worked to become so. This is a way more awesome and positive a trait in a game for me than the fact that I tried really hard to get good at Cassandra, but almost everyone else in the world is better at her than I am... but I'm amazing at Mitsurugi without reason or effort. Because of this, I see DoA, where tapping punch five times followed by kick (or down and kick as a high-low mix-up) is an amazing combo, or Soul Calibur, where any direction and any button is a decent attack as the sugary candy of the fighting game world, while Guilty Gears and Tekkens are the rich, hearty meals that stick to your ribs of the fighting game world.

And see, this is a thread where we're supposed to be posting opinions we have which we expect are unpopular. So...

JabberwockySupafly
2007-11-15, 07:01 AM
One that will probably be unpopular if we look at sales figures:

PSP > DS. Dracula X Chronicles cements this opinion firmly in my psyche.

Also, on the topic of Castlevania and unpopular opinions, I loved Lament of Innocence & Curse of Darkness.

Final Fantasy VII was a good game, but VI clubs it with a baby seal.

Cefka Palooza > Sephiroth.

Tactics Ogre > Final Fantasy Tactics

on the FF Topic: The Shin Megami Tensei series will always beat Final Fantasy in every way shape and form. Better stories, more original gameplay, and DEMONS AS PARTY MEMBERS.

The Ys series is better than Zelda.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is probably the best game out on any console at the moment.

Sam & Max Hit The Road is still the best PC Game.

I think VTM:Bloodlines is better than Torment. I Like Torment a lot, but I just like Bloodlines (post patch fix, of course) better.

Darkstone > Diablo 1 or 2.

The Alone In The Darks are better games than both Silent Hill & Resident Evil.

God of War (both) bored me to tears.

Gran Turismo is not the best racing series ever. Burnout is.

EDIT: Forgot one.
Heroes of Might & Magic 3 is the best fantasy/medieval turn based strategy game ever. Moo2 is the best Space/Sci-Fi one.

Setra
2007-11-15, 07:21 AM
Darkstone > Diablo 1 or 2.
Man I haven't played Darkstone in FOREVER, that game was incredibly fun. I used to play it with my family.

I played a Sorceress.

In any case I think I might have to agree... to an extent, the online play is crap sadly.

DeathQuaker
2007-11-15, 07:54 AM
Exactly! My "Unpopular Gaming opinion" is that fighting games should have a layer of obstruction keeping them from being accessible easily to whatever Tom, Richard or Harry picks up the controller. Call it elitism, but I spend hours perfecting technique...

Tangential to the main convo, but would it be possible/acceptable to have a game that is easy to learn, but difficult to master?

I like the visceral satisfaction of playing fighting games, but I admit I am terrible at them (though oddly enough, the one character in the one game I can play with some skill is Taki...). The ones with very complex maneuvers I just don't even bother with, and it'd be nice to find something that's accessible to an average player, while the "hardcore" player can still master strategies and special maneuvers and feel like they've not wasted their time. Is there such a thing?

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-15, 08:07 AM
Tangential to the main convo, but would it be possible/acceptable to have a game that is easy to learn, but difficult to master?

I like the visceral satisfaction of playing fighting games, but I admit I am terrible at them (though oddly enough, the one character in the one game I can play with some skill is Taki...). The ones with very complex maneuvers I just don't even bother with, and it'd be nice to find something that's accessible to an average player, while the "hardcore" player can still master strategies and special maneuvers and feel like they've not wasted their time. Is there such a thing?

Yes. It's called "the Super Smash Bros. series".

Charity
2007-11-15, 08:26 AM

Bushido Blade for the PS1, while they are swaping stance and winding up for the big assualt, you run up and stab them in the face.
It is all about timing, reach, and scoring a clean hit there is no health bar so any strike could kill your opponant... you might have guessed, I love that game.

Setra
2007-11-15, 08:41 AM
Bushido Blade for the PS1, while they are swaping stance and winding up for the big assualt, you run up and stab them in the face.
It is all about timing, reach, and scoring a clean hit there is no health bar so any strike could kill your opponant... you might have guessed, I love that game.
Ah man I used to play those two games all the time.

My brother would always choose the guy (girl?) with the gun (was the just in two?) but I was good at it to the point I could always beat him.

Winterwind
2007-11-15, 09:11 AM
Moo2 is the best Space/Sci-Fi [turn based strategy game ever].Amongst all I know, it most definitely is! Who claims otherwise, and what are the contesters?
(No, really, I want to know - I don't know of any other TBS (sci-fi or otherwise) which can rival Master of Orion 2, and if there is something at least some people claim it's better I want to know, so that I can check it out)

Holocron Coder
2007-11-15, 09:33 AM
I concur, MOO2 rocks. I've only found one game to compete with it (and I can't remember it's title >_<)

Also, a pretty popular opinion: MOO3 blew chunks.

1- I liked SSB1 better than SSB2:M. Captain Falcon got the nerfbat :smallfrown:

2- Marvel vs Capcom 1&2 are the best Fighting Games ever :smallbiggrin:

3- WoW is fun because it is easy to learn.

EDIT: I can't actually find the name of that game anywhere online! Even in Wikipedia's list of all RTS games :smalleek: Now I'm really left wondering until I can go through my packed boxes...

warty goblin
2007-11-15, 10:24 AM
Amongst all I know, it most definitely is! Who claims otherwise, and what are the contesters?
(No, really, I want to know - I don't know of any other TBS (sci-fi or otherwise) which can rival Master of Orion 2, and if there is something at least some people claim it's better I want to know, so that I can check it out)

I haven't played MoOII, but I personally adore Galactic Civilizations II. I actually like it better than any of the Civ games I've played.

Chibiqueso
2007-11-15, 11:49 AM
Yes. It's called "the Super Smash Bros. series".

Keep in mind that even the SSB games can achieve a surprising level of fighting game complexity.

I never did believe it until I saw it, it was mildly sickening.

Setra
2007-11-15, 11:53 AM
Keep in mind that even the SSB games can achieve a surprising level of fighting game complexity.

I never did believe it until I saw it, it was mildly sickening.
Actually yeah, the tournament level fights are ridiculous.

Samus especially, can recover from any fall. Ever. The only way to kill her is to one shot her into the kill-area before she can recover.

Also, for some reason the tier changed and Falco is now top tier.. WTF.

Vondre
2007-11-15, 12:14 PM
1- I liked SSB1 better than SSB2:M. Captain Falcon got the nerfbat :smallfrown:

I disagree. Obviously I like Melee more, but I've seen Falcon destroy people. I went to my university tournament where these two asian twin guys had perfected a Shiek/Falcon combo. Falcon especially; that guy had a method where he used that air knee attack to finish you before you even realized that he was moving.

As for unpopular opinions... um. A lot of people said they didn't like the Super Monkey Ball series. The story, I'll admit, is one of the worst experiences that I've ever had. But the game itself is so freaking fun - challenging, but not impossible.

Artanis
2007-11-15, 12:27 PM
Actually yeah, the tournament level fights are ridiculous.
QFT.

Me (watching a SSBM match): Uh...why are you doing that?
Samus-player: Doing what?
Me: Shooting missiles like that. You aren't hitting him. Hell, you aren't even getting close to him. So why keep doing it?
Samus-player: It restricts his movement.
Me: ...

Setra
2007-11-15, 01:52 PM
I myself am only moderately close to tournament level.

Specifically with Marth... this is off topic.

* I don't really care for metroid..

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-15, 06:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with the camera in NWN 2.

Halo is an insipid boomfest (Thank you, Ben Croshaw!) with a storyline that's about as interesting as watching a herring fester. Actually scratch that, it's an insult to herrings everywhere.

If a game's storyline is bad, then it isn't worth playing.

The Elder Scrolls games are cool when you start out, but after you start going, the plot becomes almost non-existant.

Multiplayer is absolutely pointless. If I want social interaction with real people in a game, I'll invite my friends over for a session of D&D.

The Half-Life series is overrated. Sure it's got fancy graphics and a physics engine and the most recent release came with a lot of extra goodies, but a first-person shooter is a first-person shooter is a first-person shooter.

On that note, first-person shooters are a waste of time.

The same goes for sports games, racing games and games based on movies.

Game companies that ratchet up the violence and gore to the nth degree and try to sell it deserve to be subjected to the very situations they depict. Now I dislike Jack Thompson as much as the next gamer, but if you're going to drown a potentially satisfying story with a couple hundred buckets of blood and the entrails of various creatures, then you've missed the point of making a good game.

Winterwind
2007-11-15, 07:46 PM
Multiplayer is absolutely pointless. If I want social interaction with real people in a game, I'll invite my friends over for a session of D&D.Did that refer to Elder Scrolls, or to Multiplayer in general?

If the latter, I can give a reason in multiplayer's favour different than social interaction: People make for better AIs and hence a better challenge than computers do (refers to strategy games mostly now).

If the former, I think I can top that with an even more unpopular opinion: I never understood the point of computer RPGs. Oh, I do like Diablo, but I do not consider it an RPG - there is nothing like roleplaying in it, merely slaughter and a character growing in power (which I like, and I'm not ashamed to say so - which is pretty much the contrary of what I seek in real RPGs, where I couldn't care less about a character's power). In fact, I don't think there is such a thing as a computer roleplaying game worthy that name, and neither do I see a reason for it to exist, as long as there are tabletop RPGs.

Magic Pancake
2007-11-15, 07:48 PM
GalCiv II is way worse than practically any other 4X game (Go Space Empires and Civ IV!)

People don't give enough credit to Halo. While the single player story isn't amazing, it's still really fun in multi player or to go around in co-op and shoot at stuff. Except for the flood. I have no idea why they brought them back for every game.

warty goblin
2007-11-15, 08:10 PM
GalCiv II is way worse than practically any other 4X game (Go Space Empires and Civ IV!)

People don't give enough credit to Halo. While the single player story isn't amazing, it's still really fun in multi player or to go around in co-op and shoot at stuff. Except for the flood. I have no idea why they brought them back for every game.

Now why do you say that about GCII? Sure the economy is a little wonky, but the AI is frankly astounding, the ship designer is fun and allows for players to directly effect the course of the game by dictating what was used in combat. Also, what other game allows you to build a ship capable of lauching salvos of dozens of black holes?

Agreed on the Halo thing, although I only play it for the single player, since I never play online. It manages to make me feel baddass but not unstopable. Being wimpy is no fun, being overpowered is no fun, but being a "limited badass" (as weird as that sounds) is.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-15, 11:27 PM
Did that refer to Elder Scrolls, or to Multiplayer in general?

If the latter, I can give a reason in multiplayer's favour different than social interaction: People make for better AIs and hence a better challenge than computers do (refers to strategy games mostly now).

If the former, I think I can top that with an even more unpopular opinion: I never understood the point of computer RPGs. Oh, I do like Diablo, but I do not consider it an RPG - there is nothing like roleplaying in it, merely slaughter and a character growing in power (which I like, and I'm not ashamed to say so - which is pretty much the contrary of what I seek in real RPGs, where I couldn't care less about a character's power). In fact, I don't think there is such a thing as a computer roleplaying game worthy that name, and neither do I see a reason for it to exist, as long as there are tabletop RPGs.

That was reffering to multiplayer in general. Last time I checked, Oblivion was single player only.

And in my opinion, Diablo isn't a true RPG. Sure, it's got the fantasy elements and the heroic quests and stuff, but it's basically about mindless hack-n'-slash. That's why I only played through the game once and got bored with it after that. I'm thinking of the great RPGs. Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Jade Empire. Those had stories rich enough to make millions at the local cineplex. I don't play games to play games. I play games to hear a story. True, the original NWN had graphics that look almost primitive by today's standards but the single-player campaign and subsequent expansions and sequel have such rich stories that I come back to hear them again and again, each time with a different character and a different style. I like D&D, but I can never find the time to play it properly (my brother demands I DM, and every time we play we roll up new characters because we keep starting over.). With the NWN series, I can play D&D without worrying about all the headaches that come from being an inexperienced DM.

Maxymiuk
2007-11-16, 12:05 AM
Also, what other game allows you to build a ship capable of lauching salvos of dozens of black holes?

Space Empires IV comes to mind. In fact I've had a highly enjoyable tactical engagement during which I spread the enemy fleet across the sky by using multiple black hole launchers (they randomly teleport any ship they hit).

[/tangent]

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 05:09 AM
He's an unpopular opinion:

3rd person games intrinsically suck.

A 3rd person viewpoint is pretty necesary in a stratergy game or a fighting game if you want to avoid splitscreen, but if you're only ever going to be controlling a single character at once then it's just annoying. It's also the only real way to do things if you want to give the hero cool attack animations, but such animations can never be good enough to stop you being bored of them after the first half hour of play so that's not really a good enough reason to use the 3rd person.

3rd person is terrible for Stealth. Any game that gets you killed because you can't see your enemies due to the camera is a terrible game. Any game that gets you killed because an enemy blocks your view of yourself is a terrible game. Any game that has you staring at your character's ass all the time is a terrible game.

WNxHasoroth
2007-11-16, 05:29 AM
* Resistance: Fall of Man totally kicks the living crap out of Gears of War. No comparison for atmosphere, storyline, or gameplay. High tech health packs are unrealistic, sure, but are they worse than healing from a half dozen bullet wounds by taking a three second breather behind a pole?

Can we try the fact that the soldiers in Gears of War are encased in what looks like tank armor? Honestly, something like that probably has a built in health pack or something.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-11-16, 05:39 AM
I'd rather be playing Hello Kitty Island Adventure...:smallbiggrin:

Reinboom
2007-11-16, 05:59 AM

And then, what about the people 1st person view makes sick? (like me)
And your opinion on over-the-shoulder 3rd person (resident evil 4) that doesn't have many of the issues you described?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 06:14 AM
And then, what about the people 1st person view makes sick? (like me)
And your opinion on over-the-shoulder 3rd person (resident evil 4) that doesn't have many of the issues you described?

I was being deliberately over the top, I merely find 3rd person games annoying sometimes. If 1st person makes you sick it's probably because it wasn't done very well. The first person viewpoint hasn't changed that much from Wolfenstein 3D and could easily be improved.

Over the shoulder 3rd person is worse than normal 3rd person because it's so close to 1st person. It has none of the advantages of either 3rd or 1st person viewpoints. It's a half hearted compromise that doesn't have any redeeming features. You still have your character model in the way of the screen and the game might as well have been real 1st person.

The Mechwarrior games are one of the best example of games that do 1st person well. A HUD that makes sense, non smooth steps and a general feeling that you're actually inside a giant robot. Games where you have the rear end of a gun in an implausable place and move around like a dalek are badly done games.

14 years on from DOOM and we still haven't improved the 1st person viewpoint and we've seriously gone backwards in level design. I've yet to see a game that tells me that DOOM did something wrong, and we should have had enough time to completely sunder the mold. Maybe if graphics technology had hit an unsurpasable barrier at the end of the 90s we'd have actually seen some improvements by now.

Morrowind did 1st person quite well, but it's reliance on pen and paper inspired mechanics got annoying. Accuracy that works based off random numbers being compared against stats goes against what should make a decent 1st person game.

Another problem I have with 3rd person games; auto-lock on bores me.

Reinboom
2007-11-16, 07:00 AM
I am perfectly fine with Wolfenstein, Doom 1-Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen... even slightly advanced ones (goldeneye 64 doesn't bother me that much, hexen 64 doesn't bother me).
Oblivion makes me sick, Halo makes me sick, Doom 3 makes me sick, Portal made me sick without even being the one playing it. And things that have anything around the screen while in first person? The WORST! Driving games are irritably difficult to play in 1st person. Doom with anything more than the bar at the bottom (the zoomed away screen) will even make me uncomfortable.
However.. I love 1st person games. I just can't play them. :smallfrown:

Resident Evil 4 was a godsend for me. It had a lot of the great features of 1st person (fast interaction time, the unable to see what's directly behind you always, the very 'forward' feel, the requirement to AIM) while none of the sickening features (mental displacement) that are caused by 1st person. Also, I don't find the character model to be 'in the way'. In fact, I find the over the shoulder to be 'more realistic' than 1st person of what you can see. Real people don't tunnel vision that much, and can actively detect things to their sides usually by sound or by site cues.
Over-the-shoulder provides that, though indirectly.
Also, the game was good.

Aside:
Next unpopular opinion by me:
FreeCell is better than Solitaire. :smallyuk:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 07:09 AM
Aside:

My mother agrees with that one. Solitaire is more difficult apparently.

But the winning animation for solitaire is cool.

Rutee
2007-11-16, 07:18 AM

I can agree with that, in full. Up to and including the part about being bad at fighting games, though I can handle Super Smash Bros. I'm.. thoroughly awful at Guilty Gear, but love it >.>

My unpopular opinion is that FFX-2 and Chrono Cross were good games. The former had an awful story and terrible music, it's true, but it had excellent /writing/ (Like, character lines, and their delivery. Things like that early conversation with the word 'Disasterific'... plus Rikku and Paine are adorable to watch together), and probably the best battle system a Final Fantasy has had to date. Shame they didn't have, say, FFV advancement mechanics instead, or more possibilities to combine class setups, or things like that.

Chrono Cross wasn't what everyone expected, is the only thing I can gather. It plays almost nothing like Chrono Trigger, it doesn't have the same characters, a related, though not heavily related plot, and a Suikodenish character cast without an Investigator to find out more about them. It's an awful sequel, but a pretty good game, on its own.

Morrowind did 1st person quite well, but it's reliance on pen and paper inspired mechanics got annoying. Accuracy that works based off random numbers being compared against stats goes against what should make a decent 1st person game.
...You're playing an RPG though. You're talking FPS, but comparing a non FPS to other FPS..

Winterwind
2007-11-16, 07:40 AM
FreeCell is better than Solitaire. :smallyuk:So very seconded. Solitaire is almost only luck. FreeCell is only thinking.

Setra
2007-11-16, 08:24 AM
Aside:
I pretty much agree here.

But my favorite card game has to be Spades.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 08:26 AM
...You're playing an RPG though. You're talking FPS, but comparing a non FPS to other FPS..

I'm talking about perspective, not genre.

There's nothing wrong with taking things that were good in one genre and cross-applying them. Genre distinctions are entirely arbitary anyway.

Telok
2007-11-16, 09:05 AM
My opinions, some of which may not even be unpopular.

Any game where I have to lead a target with a laser weapon at less than 100km of range... The designers need to be taken out back and have thier genitalia microwaved for fifty minutes on the defrost setting. The saftey locks are not that hard to undo.

There was not enough flamethrower ammo in Fallout and Fallout2.

Masters of Orion was boring, being both too easy (once you knew how it worked) and too limited in options and scope.

Spiderweb Software games: The Exile series has a much better feel than the Avernum series, and has much more replay value. Even with the Avernum series being mostly an "upgrade" to the Exiles. On the other hand the main plots and quests in all the games are very nicely done.

Oblivion has the most pathetic method of finding the thieves guild in the game I have ever seen. A successful thief will never find the guild, a total failure of a thief will find it almost immedately.

Oblivion suffered from massive linear gameplay problems. Better than 90% of the quests in that game boiled down to "Go here, kill everything hostile, loot, return." The remaining 10% seemed evenly split between talking to people and delivering things.

Most modern computer game companies focus far too much on graphics and far too little on gameplay, depth, versatility, and AI code. Compare such classics as Dungeon Keeper, Alpha Centauri, and Fallout to "play once and forget" games such as Dungeon Siege and many FPS games (not all, some are quite good).

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-16, 10:02 AM
Oblivion suffered from massive linear gameplay problems. Better than 90% of the quests in that game boiled down to "Go here, kill everything hostile, loot, return." The remaining 10% seemed evenly split between talking to people and delivering things.

That's the thing, you're supposed to spend the majority of your time wandering around and admiring the pretty landscape. The main draw of the game is exploration, and the quests merely give you an excuse (or in my opinion, a mandate) to travel to the far corners of Cyrodiil. Seriously, why am I going to have to go to a fort on the other side of the freakin' province to assassinate some bandit who's never done anything to me, for some mook who I'm never going to meet?! Not to mention that those Oblivion Gates that pop up everywhere in the countryside so you have to deal with those pesky daedra that keep spawning while you're trying to find your way to that remote cave your boss sent you to! I was all over Oblivion when I first got it, but once I beat all the quests in the original game (never bought Shivering Isles), I put it away and never played it again. Neverwinter Nights on the other hand, I've played through at least three times now, the Original Campaign once and the SoU/HotU campaign twice! It has a much more cohesive plot and even though the linearity in that game is far more obvious I don't really care, as the story is strong enough to keep me engaged from start to finish!

Aotrs Commander
2007-11-16, 10:42 AM
My opinions - unpopular or not? You decide...

MMORPGs and fighting games are utterly uninteresting.

Pokemon games have continously improved with each new generation.

Colosseum and Gale of Darkness were not only the best games on the Gamecube, they are the only games on the Gamecube.

Aotrs Rules for the most important things for a really good RPG are, in order of priority:

1) The characters in the party and the interaction between them

2) Plot

3) Game mechanics

4) Graphics

5) Sound

with the provisos that:

a) if any lower element sucks so bad it prevents enjoyment of the upper ones

b) any game which contains humour > game that takes itself deadly serious.

Ditto for RTS and fight sims (though in this case combining 1 and 2 into general game character (e.g. TIE Fighter, all the C&C games).)

Final Fantasy VII was and still is a good game (like Drizzt Do'Urden, it does, however, bear the weighty responcibility of spawning too many rabid fan boys).

Final Fantasy X was better on all accounts.

I actually like Tidus - and Yuna. They are arguably the best protagonists of any FF game thus far in their respective games (FFX and FFX2).

Final Fantasy VIII was the least good of the series (see 1 and 2 above).

Squall was annoying and pretty much all the other characters in VIII aside from Selphie were pretty meh.

Star Ocean 2 is an underrated and fantastic game. Ditto for SO3.

Moo3 is a superlative game, and I prefer it to GalCiv 2.

NWN 1 was by far the least good of the D&D games. The KotRs and NWN2 are among the best (though nobody has quite managed to cap Planescape); see 1.

Disgaea 1 is still the best game Nipponechi have released.

C&C 3, even after waiting six months after buying it and having to get a new PC before I could run it, is still better than Supreme Commander (though the latter is not bad by any means at all.) (See 1&2 above).

C&C Generals, while lacking the plot and character of the other C&C games, was still pretty frakin' awesome and the GLA are awesome in a badly-accented can.

Starcraft, while it had a good and enjoyable plot and flavour was let down by it's limited resources and poor unit selection control.

Summoner 1 and 2 are excellent games.

Civ 2, Dungeon Keeper 1, Torment and TIE Fighter tie for best games ever in terms of hours played over the years.

Dungeon Keeper 1 was vastly superior to Keeper 2 by such a large margin it's not even funny.

Xenosaga 2 is freakin' awesome and it is a travesty that Xenosaga 1 and 3 have not been released in the UK. (See 1 and 2).

Avatar the game wasn't actually that bad, if a little short and rather easy.

X-Men Legends 1 > Ultimate Alliance > X-Men Legends 2. (And XML1>UA only because XML1 had Jubilee in it...)

There are very few to no decent final bad guys in video games. They are either monstrous asymetric chaos spawn which are supposed to be horrifying but are in fact merely lame (see most console RPG games, for example), utterly insane in a pathetic and comtempable way or are introduced so late or without any introduction that they have no context (e.g. most 'optional hardest boss fights', many bosses at the end of RPGs), often all three at once. (Very Notable Exception: C&C's very own Kane (and Kabal in Firestorm))

By extension, far less end-game boss fights/final missions are as climatic and/or difficult as there should be. RPGs are particularly bad for this. (Notable exception, NWN 2 and C&C TS Firestorm in their respective generas.)

Archonic Energy
2007-11-16, 10:50 AM
My opinions, some of which may not even be unpopular.

*Snip*

Masters of Orion was boring, being both too easy (once you knew how it worked) and too limited in options and scope.

*Snip*

short rebuttal: No

Long rebuttal: No, and i consider your arguement misinformed... :smallamused:
Shamelessly paraphrased from Zero Punctuation

Solo
2007-11-16, 10:50 AM
Starcraft 2, while it had a good and enjoyable plot and flavour was let down by it's limited resources and poor unit selection control.

Start talking: how did you get a copy of Starcraft 2 this far before the release date?:smallfurious:

Long rebuttal: No, and i consider your arguement misinformed...:smallamused:
Furthermore, I consider them offensive to my race, gender, sex, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, religion, poltics, philosophy, and social views.

Setra
2007-11-16, 10:52 AM
Final Fantasy VIII was the least good of the series (see 1 and 2 above).

Squall was annoying and pretty much all the other characters in VIII aside from Selphie were pretty meh.

Star Ocean 2 is an underrated and fantastic game. Ditto for SO3.

Disgaea 1 is still the best game Nipponechi have released.

Xenosaga 2 is freakin' awesome and it is a travesty that Xenosaga 1 and 3 have not been released in the UK. (See 1 and 2).
The first two are actually some of the most popular opinions on this thread.

Agreed

Agreed

Xenosaga 2 is okay... until you compare it to 1 or 3.

banjo1985
2007-11-16, 10:56 AM
I thought FF8 was fantastic, the best of a great bunch, there's my unpopular opinion :smalltongue:

Here's another:

The Grandia games have the best combat system in any RPG ever produced.

Setra
2007-11-16, 10:59 AM
The Grandia games have the best combat system in any RPG ever produced.
Grandia..Star Ocean..Grandia..Star Ocean..

*head splodes*

Actually since I actually like all three Star Ocean games... but not the third Grandia, gonna go with Star Ocean.

Aotrs Commander
2007-11-16, 11:03 AM
Xenosaga 2 is okay... until you compare it to 1 or 3.

Which, sadly, I can't.

Which is what's so annoying.

IThe Grandia games have the best combat system in any RPG ever produced.

I'm not sure I'd say the best, but they were damn good. (Seriously, when Grandia 1 said 80 hours play time, they meant it. It took my about that long as more-or-less a straight run through.)

Start talking: how did you get a copy of Starcraft 2 this far before the release date?:smallfurious:

I meant 1 of coure! You must have caught that in the two minutes before I realised I'd put 2 by mistake and edited out. I'm of course awaiting Starcraft 2 to see if it's any good (the aforementioned point being the sitcking points; if the resources as as limited, then I shaln't bother!)

Om
2007-11-16, 12:13 PM
Random encounters are a terrible. Any game that relies on this lazy mechanic is also terrible.

Rogue 7
2007-11-16, 12:26 PM
Random encounters are a terrible. Any game that relies on this lazy mechanic is also terrible.

So D&D is terrible as well?

Winterwind
2007-11-16, 01:01 PM
I meant 1 of coure! You must have caught that in the two minutes before I realised I'd put 2 by mistake and edited out. I'm of course awaiting Starcraft 2 to see if it's any good (the aforementioned point being the sitcking points; if the resources as as limited, then I shaln't bother!)Well, the good news for you should be, then, that Blizzard announced the number of units selectable at once will presumably be around 150 units.
Don't really understand what you mean by "limited ressources" though.

Om
2007-11-16, 01:21 PM
So D&D is terrible as well?Which DnD cRPG are you referring to?

Winterwind
2007-11-16, 01:27 PM
Which DnD cRPG are you referring to?I think he meant the tabletop RPG itself.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-16, 03:56 PM
3rd person is terrible for Stealth. Any game that gets you killed because you can't see your enemies due to the camera is a terrible game. Any game that gets you killed because an enemy blocks your view of yourself is a terrible game. Any game that has you staring at your character's ass all the time is a terrible game.

Yes, it's much easier to see the enemies when you can't see behind you. XD

Also, here's another unpopular opinion:

Mario Galaxy probably sucks.

Talanic
2007-11-16, 04:05 PM
Can we try the fact that the soldiers in Gears of War are encased in what looks like tank armor? Honestly, something like that probably has a built in health pack or something.

Why don't those health packs work unless you come and rub your buddy on the shoulder, then?

Just...trust me. Resistance did it way better. Better looking, better story, better mechanics. Or don't trust me. Find out for yourself when the PS3 is cheap enough for it to be a sane purchase.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 04:12 PM
Yes, it's much easier to see the enemies when you can't see behind you.

It's much easier to see enemies who are on the other side of the room when you aren't limited to seeing a tiny box around you.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-16, 04:23 PM
It's much easier to see enemies who are on the other side of the room when you aren't limited to seeing a tiny box around you.

Generally, you don't just see a tiny box around you. Not to mention that most recent 3rd person games have the option to move the camera angle, therefore allowing you to look around you in all directions without having to move.

elondir
2007-11-16, 05:14 PM
Here are mine:

I prefer 2nd Edition AD&D to other versions of the game. I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not after what just happened to the Forgotten Realms.

I liked Super Mario Brothers 2. It was a little different, but it was a good game.

Jasdoif
2007-11-16, 05:18 PM
He's an unpopular opinion:

A 3rd person viewpoint is pretty necesary in a stratergy game or a fighting game if you want to avoid splitscreen, but if you're only ever going to be controlling a single character at once then it's just annoying. It's also the only real way to do things if you want to give the hero cool attack animations, but such animations can never be good enough to stop you being bored of them after the first half hour of play so that's not really a good enough reason to use the 3rd person.

3rd person is terrible for Stealth. Any game that gets you killed because you can't see your enemies due to the camera is a terrible game. Any game that gets you killed because an enemy blocks your view of yourself is a terrible game. Any game that has you staring at your character's ass all the time is a terrible game.Just to be sure this is clear...is your complaint about 3rd-person views in 3D games?

warty goblin
2007-11-16, 05:22 PM
Well, the good news for you should be, then, that Blizzard announced the number of units selectable at once will presumably be around 150 units.

I think what he meant is that there is a set amount of minerals on any given map, so if a game goes long enough it can literally reach the point that nobody can build anything and existing static defenses become essentially indestructable since nobody has the force remaining to take them out. I've had this happen, during one of the rare occasions I played multiplayer with a friend, we were both playing protoss against two AI zerg players. We weren't in a hurry and wanted to mess around with the various units and upgrades, so by the time we finally killed the last zerg, we were down to like two carriers with partial compliments of interceptors and the occasional zealot left alive. Nobody had any minerals, but we had gas like you wouldn't believe.

Woot Spitum
2007-11-16, 05:23 PM
Any game that has you staring at your character's ass all the time is a terrible game.
The Tomb Raider series was pretty bad, but not for that reason.:smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 05:25 PM
Just to be sure this is clear...is your complaint about 3rd-person views in 3D games?

Yes. A 2d first person game would truly suck.

"wow, I can see things getting further away from me, wow, now they're getting closer"

Wait... DOOM is basically 2d since it has no stackable objects and you can't look up. So I let my trite comment stand but retract the intent.

A lot of 3D games aren't even 3D, they're 2.5D or something in that their Z axis is basically illusionary.

So no, I'm not really being specific to 3D games at all.

Generally, you don't just see a tiny box around you. Not to mention that most recent 3rd person games have the option to move the camera angle, therefore allowing you to look around you in all directions without having to move.

Adjusting camera angles is often really tideous and hard to do when you're trying to fight at the same time.

The main problem with third person games is that none of them do their cameras very well while 1st person games don't have to bother messing around with such things.

indianajoe
2007-11-16, 05:53 PM

* Xenogears...will always be better in depth of character development, story, music, and overall epicness than any of the prequels will ever be.

Aotrs Commander
2007-11-16, 08:27 PM

I meant the abysmally low limit of the various harvestable stuff. There's being tight with resources and there's being tight. Starcraft is the only RTS I've played where I found I inevitably found I ran out. A slow regen a la C&C's Tiberium Fields wouldn't have hurt, or at least much more resources total on the map. I just didn't find that level of resource micromanagement at all fun; playing Starcraft honestly felt like too much hard work at times (which is why I never finished playing the expansion.)

* Xenogears...will always be better in depth of character development, story, music, and overall epicness than any of the prequels will ever be.

Which again, I will not be able to find out for myself. Thank you regioning...

(All I can say is thank frag the DS is regionless or I couldn't even play Naruto: Path of the Ninja...)

Jothki
2007-11-16, 10:16 PM
The main problem with third person games is that none of them do their cameras very well while 1st person games don't have to bother messing around with such things.

Because an inherently horrible camera is all you're even going to get. :smallamused:

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-16, 10:57 PM
I prefer 2nd Edition AD&D to other versions of the game. I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not after what just happened to the Forgotten Realms.

What makes it better to the other editions? I've only ever played 3rd Edition D&D, and I find the 2nd Edition to be the equivalent of trying to read Hegel in Mandarin Chinese upside-down and reversed with only an education in Middle English.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-16, 11:00 PM
Adjusting camera angles is often really tideous and hard to do when you're trying to fight at the same time.

That's odd, when I need to adjust the camera angle, I just pause the game and adjust until I've got the right view. It's almost second nature to me. I, on the other hand, dislike 1st person games because you can only look in one direction, and that's forward. You can't see something sneaking up behind you and you can't figure out how many enemies you've got to deal with if you're surrounded.

Reinboom
2007-11-16, 11:06 PM

Except.. you do o_o;
If, say, in Halo you want to look left, you move the right joystick to make you look left. Changing the camera.
Which is what you do in 3rd person games, just not as close.

Yes. A 2d first person game would truly suck.

"wow, I can see things getting further away from me, wow, now they're getting closer"

Wait... DOOM is basically 2d since it has no stackable objects and you can't look up. So I let my trite comment stand but retract the intent.

A lot of 3D games aren't even 3D, they're 2.5D or something in that their Z axis is basically illusionary.

So no, I'm not really being specific to 3D games at all.
Hmm... I highly disagree.
Next unpopular opinion then, based on this alone:
Eye of the Beholder and Eye of the Beholder 2 were AWESOME games. Some of SSI's/Westwood Studios greatest works.

Winterwind
2007-11-16, 11:33 PM
I meant the abysmally low limit of the various harvestable stuff. There's being tight with resources and there's being tight. Starcraft is the only RTS I've played where I found I inevitably found I ran out. A slow regen a la C&C's Tiberium Fields wouldn't have hurt, or at least much more resources total on the map. I just didn't find that level of resource micromanagement at all fun; playing Starcraft honestly felt like too much hard work at times (which is why I never finished playing the expansion.)Okay... I see what you mean, though I don't know how you accomplished this; I don't remember any mission in StarCraft where I came even close to running out of minerals, I always had tens of thousands of minerals left, without even using all mineral patches on the map.

In a normal multiplayer game it is easier to run out of minerals - usually not so much because there are no more ressources to be found on the map (I have seen, amongst thousands of games, exactly one where this happened, and that was a game where one player specifically was trying to enforce this end), but because one player is under siege in the base and is not being allowed to expand.

Games where I did run out of money occasionally were C&C Tiberium Dawn and Red Alert, because that stuff regrows so slowly and the harvesters are so damn slow. But then, I used to play defensively back then, so nowadays, it probably wouldn't happen anymore.

Rogue 7
2007-11-17, 12:12 AM
Yes, it's much easier to see the enemies when you can't see behind you. XD

Also, here's another unpopular opinion:

Mario Galaxy probably sucks.

Why? It's basically Mario 64 updated for the Wii with new levels. Pretty hard to go wrong with that.

Setra
2007-11-17, 12:17 AM
Out of curiosity.. What other than 3rd person would you use in a game, like, say Kingdom Hearts?

I'd imagine First person would be incredibly dizzying.

Gungnir
2007-11-17, 10:51 AM
I like Monster Hunter Freedom. Yes, the combat was "repetitive" because each new rank mostly brought stronger versions of old bosses, but the scale of the things you fight was just awesome. A couple of them are so damn big that they don't even fight back, because you're the size of their pinky toe! The only problem I had with it was the ridiculously low chance of getting some of the rare items that you needed for the best equipment, something like 3 percent tops.

And the 3rd Person camera might even appease C.S., since you adjust it with the directional buttons. The PSP is slim enough that you can move, change the camera, and still fight, no problem.

indianajoe
2007-11-17, 11:41 AM
Which again, I will not be able to find out for myself. Thank you regioning...

Yes....regioning does suck. But I'm guessing that's not an unpopular opinion.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-17, 02:57 PM
Why? It's basically Mario 64 updated for the Wii with new levels. Pretty hard to go wrong with that.

Because it uses the Wiimote's motion detection crap. I've hated every game I've played on the Wii because of the Wiimote.

Rogue 7
2007-11-17, 03:24 PM
Really. I've never had a serious problem with it. What games have you played?

Lord Shplane
2007-11-17, 03:28 PM
Really. I've never had a serious problem with it. What games have you played?

Twilight Princess (Was bearable, the storyline and Midna's awesome brought it through. Still wish I'd gotten the Gamecube version), Red Steel, Wii Sports, Mario Party 8? I think the one for Wii is 8, and some other games that my mind has erased from my memory because they were so horrible they gave me nightmares.

Setra
2007-11-17, 03:31 PM
Because it uses the Wiimote's motion detection crap. I've hated every game I've played on the Wii because of the Wiimote.
Someone who agrees!

Ugh I always hated when the detection missed, or just ran out of batteries.

Though I won't say it's THAT bad, I just dislike it.

Rogue 7
2007-11-17, 03:32 PM
Never had any problems with Twilight Princess. Loved that control scheme. I can't see how you had a problem with Wii sports- the motion controls worked very well, I think. What specifically bugged you (I haven't played the others enough to comment - MP once, Red Steel not at all.)

Logic
2007-11-17, 03:33 PM
My unpopular gaming opinions:
*FF7 was far from the greatest game ever, it doesn't even make "good for back then." Most. Overrated. Game. Ever.
*WoW is pratically a communicable disease. I struggle to find why some find it fun.
*FF10-2 was not bad, no one just gave it a chance.

Setra
2007-11-17, 03:35 PM
*FF7 was far from the greatest game ever, it doesn't even make "good for back then." Most. Overrated. Game. Ever.
Halo 3 was more overrated than the entire RPG Genre

Lord Shplane
2007-11-17, 03:38 PM
Never had any problems with Twilight Princess. Loved that control scheme. I can't see how you had a problem with Wii sports- the motion controls worked very well, I think. What specifically bugged you (I haven't played the others enough to comment - MP once, Red Steel not at all.)

The motion controls period. I just don't like them.

Though I can give a specific on Twilight Princess. The fact that he always swung his sword the same way made it feel forced, like it would just be easier to push a button (It would).

Oh, and I don't like the "Wiimote/Nunchuck" configuration. I like to be able to hold one object.

Rogue 7
2007-11-17, 03:43 PM
Huh. Difference of opinion, then. Your loss:smalltongue:

Twin2
2007-11-17, 03:52 PM
Not mine, but I stumbled upon this randomly browsing youtube. I give you Daikatana was awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)!

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-17, 05:29 PM
Not mine, but I stumbled upon this randomly browsing youtube. I give you Daikatana was awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)!

:smallconfused: I don't get the joke. What does this clip have to do with that game?

Woot Spitum
2007-11-17, 06:44 PM
:smallconfused: I don't get the joke. What does this clip have to do with that game?
I do believe the point he is trying to make is that Daikatana was not exactly what all the hype made it out to be.

Sucrose
2007-11-17, 07:41 PM
Actually, you've just been RickRoll'd (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rick+roll'd). It's a pointless, but somewhat amusing internet prank.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-17, 08:19 PM
What makes it amusing? It seems more like a non sequiter than anything else.

TheOOB
2007-11-17, 09:06 PM
Hmmm, I have a few.

-I played Halo to death back when it was called Quake 2.
-Halo doesn't have a story, it has an excuse to shoot things.
-Final Fantasy VII was a fairly run of the mill RPG with an unoriginal story, uninspiring characters, and a downright idiotic main villain.
-Final Fantasy VIII might have been good, but the combat system(ugh, draw), made my want to commit seppuku.
-Goldeneye was a good deal worse then similar FPS's that came out for PC years before.
-There was nothing about Counter Strike that made it at all better then any other game.
-The Playstation 2 is one of the worst systems ever(note: there where lots of great games, the system itself was a sin against the gaming gods.)
-The Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear where both way better then the Original Nintendo Game Boy.
-The first 5 minutes of WoW are great, to bad the entire game is repeating that 5 minutes over and over again until you hit rehab.
-You can get more value out of a SNES then any next Gen consule(save the Wii which gets SNES games).

Jerthanis
2007-11-17, 10:33 PM
-The Playstation 2 is one of the worst systems ever(note: there where lots of great games, the system itself was a sin against the gaming gods.)
-You can get more value out of a SNES then any next Gen consule(save the Wii which gets SNES games).

As clarification, what exactly do you mean by these two statements?

My initial impression on reading the statement about the PS2 was that while it had a lot of good games, the system itself was bad due to technical shortcomings compared to other contemporary systems. However, if you say that the great games on SNES outstrip the modern increases in technology, how come the great games of the PS2 which fall short in technical respects don't as well?

Gungnir
2007-11-18, 03:18 AM
-Halo doesn't have a story, it has an excuse to shoot things.
-Final Fantasy VIII might have been good, but the combat system(ugh, draw), made my want to commit seppuku.

This (http://halostory.bungie.org/) page disagrees. So does this (http://www.ilovebees.com/) one. Don't forget this whole thing (http://www.halo3.com/). (I really need to see that diorama in person.) Oh, and the Cortana letters.

And I think draw is the best magic system in the whole final fantasy series, for the singular fact that it provided a practical use for Death.

CatCameBack
2007-11-18, 08:24 AM

I can't remember...was it Xenogears or Xenosaga that has the 45 minute cutscene that can't be skipped? I &$#% you not. We went out to get some chinese, and came back...this guy was still watching the FMV/voiceover crap about why he should give a hoot about why he is blowing things up. The game locked up, he howled like someone stepped on his gonads, and he had to start over again.

I vaguely remember some sort of character dialogue over a tea party too.

Anyway, some of mine:

We should all pitch in, kidnap Lord British, shoot him up with whatever he was on when he made Ultima 4 and make him do that again. It was awesome.

Bushido Blade was one of the best fighting games I've ever played. Soul Calibur tourneys are won by crack-addled spaz monkeys. Patience and timing should mean more than memorizing move lists.

Dead or Alive is a puerile heap of crap that is an excuse for breast physics and should have its creators arrested as pedophiles. DOA Volleyball should be listed as a UN War Crime. Dammit people! If you want porn, download porn.

AND leave the MMORPG refrences at the door when you sit down to play D&D...for the love of God!

Calamity
2007-11-18, 10:20 AM
*FFVIII is best FF so far. (I'm hidng now)
*Squall was.. a bearable character
*Urban Reign is one of the best Beat 'Em Up's I have ever played. Better than Tekken, in my opinion.
*Give me a PS3 over an Xbox 360 anyday. I would consider a Wii.
*9Dragons and Dungeon Runners are better MMO's than WoW. I've played all three, and WoW was the least fun.
Command and Conquer and Command and Conquer: Red Alert are the only C&C games worth playing.
*I hate nearly all FPS games. I find them rather boring for some reason.
*Older Resident Evils are equal in enjoyabilty to RE4. They're just two different experiences. Eariler ones make you jump and be afraid to open door, and RE4 focuses more on action.

ArtifexFelicis
2007-11-18, 10:21 AM
In Honor of what I found the other day.

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber is the single most underrated RPG ever made. Ever. The fact you probably haven't heard about it is simply more proof. :smallbiggrin:

Also, FFIX gets the shaft whenever a talk about Final Fantasy gets mentioned I've noticed.

"FF7 is overrated, FF8 is under ratted and no one gave FFX or X-2 as chance!"

No an opinion, but it makes me sad the best game in the series (that WAS an opinion) doesn't get mentioned as often.

Haruki-kun
2007-11-18, 10:49 AM
Unpopular........?

- FFX Is the best in the Series.

- FFX-2 is WAY underrated. (You know, it's STILL the end of the Story! :smallannoyed: )

- Majora's Mask was as good as Ocarina of Time**. *Awaits Death Threats*

- JigglyPuff is the Best Character in Super Smash Bros. Melee. :smallbiggrin:

**Zelda games now suffer from what I call the Zelda Effect. Every Zelda game from here on, no matter how unbelievably good it is, is going to receive the same reaction:

"It was good............. but it wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time."

EDIT: Oh yeah, and:

- Super Mario 64 was the best 3D Action Game ever. They just sorta went downhill from there.

Setra
2007-11-18, 10:59 AM
I can't remember...was it Xenogears or Xenosaga that has the 45 minute cutscene that can't be skipped?
Both do

But Xenogears only has such in the second disc, which .. wait what was I talking about, there is no second disc.

You were thinking of Xenosaga by the way.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-18, 11:35 AM
Zelda games now suffer from what I call the Zelda Effect. Every Zelda game from here on, no matter how unbelievably good it is, is going to receive the same reaction:

"It was good............. but it wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time."

That's my brother's opinion. I think each one's a masterpiece in and of itself (excepting of course the games like Wand of Gamelon and such). But each time my brother purchases a Zelda game he'll invariably compare it to Ocarina of Time and find it lacking. He'll still play them and have fun with them though. And then there's my favorite video game reviewer, whose opinions on the Zelda series you've got to see and hear to understand.

Click Here (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2608-Zero-Punctuation-Zelda-Phantom-Hourglass)