PDA

View Full Version : Return of Julio[spoilers]

RyuTakarashi
2007-11-13, 03:53 PM
Soooo.... I've been thinking lately that According to genre conventions and what Julio said in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html mentor figure has to comeback only to die. So an idea came to me that perhaps Julio could have rescued Haley and Belkar and tried to ferry them to Hinjo's fleet. He could succed and then be killed by Therkla/Unknown villain.

sihnfahl
2007-11-13, 03:58 PM
Soooo.... I've been thinking lately that According to genre conventions and what Julio said in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html mentor figure has to comeback only to die. So an idea came to me that perhaps Julio could have rescued Haley and Belkar and tried to ferry them to Hinjo's fleet. He could succed and then be killed by Therkla/Unknown villain.
That's only IF they meet again.

I have a feeling that Julio, since he'd want to live longer, is sincerely trying to avoid getting anywhere CLOSE to AC. Especially if he hears it's been taken over by hobgoblins lead by a lich.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-13, 03:59 PM

The problem with that is in V's continued failure to contact Haley and/or Belkar. If they have been rescued, they'd be contactable.

I like the idea, though. Perhaps that's what we see in the next few-dozen strips? It doesn't seem like Rich ever intended to bring Julio back, but I've mis-second-guessed him before!

factotum
2007-11-13, 05:27 PM
Since Julio himself is fully aware of that trope I don't think he's going to be stupid enough to get anywhere NEAR Elan, at least not deliberately. If they ever do meet again it will like as not be down to pure happenstance and therefore could happen at any random time.

Also, why would Julio fly into Azure City in the first place? He's not on best terms with the original leadership of the place, and he doesn't strike me as the sort to fancy making deals with liches...

David Argall
2007-11-13, 05:36 PM
perhaps Julio could have rescued Haley and Belkar and tried to ferry them to Hinjo's fleet.

Besides the other problems with this idea that have been mentioned, the hero is supposed to do everything, not get rescued by the NPCs. There are plenty of exceptions, but the odds are heavy that Haley and/or Belkar will rescue themselves or be rescued by other party members.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-14, 03:05 AM
V or Durkon could try to to get in touch with him unless the fact that they never met him would stop them from being able to do so (Sending isn't a Bard spell, so Elan ouldn't be able to use a scroll). I found Julio to be annoying, so I wouldn't be too upset if he never returned.