PDA

View Full Version : My Players Blundered Again (Dragonheist Spoilers)

Pex
2021-06-27, 12:53 AM
Their previous blunder was leaving the dungeon with the treasure in it allowing one of the denizens to escape with it. This time I'm running Dragonheist. I've changed many of the names to reflect my gameworld since it's not Waterdeep nor Forgotten Realms, but for purpose of discussion here I'll use the module names.

It is important to note Force Grey likes them a lot. After the Fireball and investigations, they decided to confide with Force Grey on what's going on. They told them all that they knew and even gave them the Necklace of Fireballs as evidence. Shenanigans later they track the Nimblewright to the Gralhund Villa. They spend about an hour and a half real world time discussing how to get inside. Talking to the gate guard. Sneaking past the gate guard. Buy meat for the dogs. Go over the wall. Get the backing of Force Grey. After all that they finally come upon a plan of action.

They talk to the Casselanters! They're already friendly with them of course. Lord Casselanter is at the bank, but Lady Casselanter is all ears to talk gossip about fellow nobles. The party doesn't mention the Stone of Golorr, but they do tell them about the Fireball, the Nimblewright, and wanting to get into Gralhund Villa. Lady Casselanter is of course helpful and non-helpful. She tells the party what she knows about the Gralhunds but is completely unhelpful on how to get inside, not that the party noticed. When they left the estate they then decided to wait until dark to climb over the wall and they got meat for the dogs just in case.

The Casselanters are not the BBEG, but they still very much want the Stone of Golorr. Come to think of it I really don't have a BBEG. I wanted my world's version of The Harpers be the main foe, but it's working out for everyone to be after the Stone. The Harpers, The Casselanters, The Zhentarim, Xanathar, Force Grey, City Watch, etc. The party just stumbles through all the intrigue.

Anyway, as soon as the party left the Casselanter mansion Lady Casselanter contacted her husband via Sending Stone. Lord Casselanter used his influence to get the Gralhund Villa raided by the City Watch, hoping to get the Stone during the chaos. The Nimblewright still ran away with it as per the module, but the party does not get credit for the Villa encounter. Since I'm using Milestone leveling, the party doesn't level after this as the module instructs.

I discussed this with the players after the game. They know they screwed up and are fine with dealing with the consequences. Had they at least went to Force Grey there would have been a different outcome. Maybe they could have entered the Villa with Force Grey backup and gotten many questions answered as they interrogated Lady Gralhund. Alas, too many wrong people know the party is involved now but also consider them fools. Once again I know if I was on the other side of the DM screen how bummed I'd be feeling right now. I always say the DM is not the players' enemy. He should not be rooting against them, but I get it now, the can't help but laugh when the party screws up so bad. It's not a TPK or anything serious. They didn't blow up the Plot, but hahahahahaha!