PDA

View Full Version : Eternal wand question

orlondok
2021-06-27, 08:28 AM
There does not seem to be a clear rule for the cost of an Eternal wand (M.i.c. pg. 159) for a spell which has a material component ...
Eg. Eternal wand of Identify.
I usually go with the idea that you pay the usual cost of a 1st lvl E-wand and then you have to provide the material component (a 100gp gem in this case) ea. time you activate the wand.

Any other thoughts?

YellowJohn
2021-06-27, 08:52 AM
The consensus (and RAW) seems to be that you ignore any cost for material/XP components of spells put in an Eternal Wand.

I can totally understand why a DM wouldn't allow that.

Other options would include increasing the price of Eternal Wands for the cost of components etc in line with regular wands, or banning eternal wands with expensive/XP components.

Bayar
2021-06-27, 10:17 AM
The best answer is talk to your DM. RAW, eternal wands don't care about what spell is in them as long as they are 3rd level or lower. There's also this Reddit post with a pricing for an Identify Eternal wand pricing: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/6rvb6n/35_eternal_wands_of_things_with_costly_material/

I'd personally skip the entire discussion and get an Artificer's Monocle. For artificers it's basically unlimited Identify and for anyone else it's Identify when you cast Detect Magic.

Zanos
2021-06-27, 10:57 AM
If you have the MIC there's actually a section in it for identifying magic items with spellcraft+detect magic, which any decent wizard should be able to make reliably.

RAW eternal wands don't adjust their costs for XP/GP components, because their specific prices override the general rules for the constructing magic item guidelines, which have a provision for large price markups for infinite use items that have GP/XP components. I don't think I would personally allow that interpretation at my table, however.