PDA

View Full Version : Persisting High Level Spells

Lerondiel
2021-06-27, 10:09 AM
Looking for new ways to Persist higher level arcane spells please.

With reducers, Magical Trickster can do 1/day. (I thought I'd seen the same class feature somewhere else but can't find it now.)

Ultimate Magus and/or Uncanny Trickster/Legacy Champ gets most of the way there, especially if Sanctum shenanigans is allowed...

Rainbow Servant and Sacred Exorcist only gets past the most generous of DMs...

Spelldancer and Incantatrix are FR, so no good.

What am I missing?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2021-06-27, 10:13 AM
Off the top of the dome...

Anima Mage (Tome of Magic) provides some free metamagic, binding progression, and other goodies for the cost of a binder level and the Improved Binding feat.

[One of the ways to make your spells count as divine] + [one of the ways to get a TU pool] + Divine Metamagic would do it.

Zarvistic
2021-06-27, 10:14 AM
Illumian with naenhoon can do it if you get turn undead somewhere.

Anthrowhale
2021-06-27, 10:58 AM
Shapechange[Tome Dragon] can alleviate 3 levels of metamagic cost.

Zanos
2021-06-27, 11:36 AM
Undead Battery can supplant metamagic cost in exchange for undead HD, but it's dragonlance.

If your DM interprets Genesis generously, you can have it enhance magic as you please, including adding free metamagic. Buff in your enhanced magic demiplane to persist+extend+whatever else all your spells.

If you just need spells to last a long time, Energy Transformation Field can store a spell for recasting, and be triggered by bound outsiders with at will SLAs or magic item activation to charge it. Get an enveloping pit full of weak outsiders to charge your field, stick your hand in it when you want all your buffs, and done. Kind of cheesy, but we are talking about persisting high level spells.

Rebel7284
2021-06-27, 03:59 PM
Wait, how exactly does Arcane Trickster do metamagic reduction?

ciopo
2021-06-27, 04:09 PM
He probably means the magical trickster from Complete Scoundrel

Lerondiel
2021-06-27, 06:36 PM
He probably means the magical trickster from Complete Scoundrel

Yes, corrected. Thanks.

Gruftzwerg
2021-06-27, 10:22 PM
A DWK craftlock (Kobold with DWK feat, warlock 12/ Chameleon 2) with access to Epic scribe scrolls can persist any spell that he wants (with maxing UMD). Persist Time Stop? No problem, we can handle that.
Note that this trick relies on the ruling that DWK qualify for Epic feats (which gets housruled away by many DM due to balance reasons).

Abuse crafting xp/cost reducers to bypass most of the resources needed. (e.g. Dark craft xp from Sacrifices).

Voldine
2021-06-27, 10:37 PM
Looking for new ways to Persist higher level arcane spells please.

With reducers, Magical Trickster can do 1/day. (I thought I'd seen the same class feature somewhere else but can't find it now.)

Ultimate Magus and/or Uncanny Trickster/Legacy Champ gets most of the way there, especially if Sanctum shenanigans is allowed...

Rainbow Servant and Sacred Exorcist only gets past the most generous of DMs...

Spelldancer and Incantatrix are FR, so no good.

What am I missing?

Permanency. For when you want a spell to persist for more than a day.

sreservoir
2021-06-27, 11:03 PM
Anything you can get in spell trigger form is fair game for Metamagic Spell Trigger, in either feat, artificer class feature form, or magic item of metamagic item form, and anything you can get in spell completion form can get it applied by the artificer's Metamagic Spell Completion feature.

Khatoblepas
2021-06-27, 11:29 PM
A DWK craftlock (Kobold with DWK feat, warlock 12/ Chameleon 2) with access to Epic scribe scrolls can persist any spell that he wants (with maxing UMD). Persist Time Stop? No problem, we can handle that.
Note that this trick relies on the ruling that DWK qualify for Epic feats (which gets housruled away by many DM due to balance reasons).

How is a DWK qualifying for Chameleon? It needs Able Learner, a feat you can only take at first level, and you need to be Human or Doppleganger or Changeling. I can see flaws, but you don't qualify for Human Heritage either. Kobolds aren't a human descended race.

Gruftzwerg
2021-06-27, 11:58 PM
How is a DWK qualifying for Chameleon? It needs Able Learner, a feat you can only take at first level, and you need to be Human or Doppleganger or Changeling. I can see flaws, but you don't qualify for Human Heritage either. Kobolds aren't a human descended race.

good catch.. was still in half-sleep mode I guess..^^
Sadly, Changeling DWK doesn't work either due to the lack of Age Categories to qualify for Epic feats. You could try to cheese that by changing your race temporary via Polymorph any Object, but that would be to much of a hassle I guess and still be asking for DM fiat..