PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Cleric Monk Ability Scores

Azara5
2021-06-27, 12:00 PM
I'm currently building a level 5 Life Cleric / Mercy Monk Gestalt character for an upcoming campaign. However, I don't know whether I should put my level 4 ASI into dexterity or wisdom. Dex is more important to my monk abilities, although wisdom doesn't hurt either. With that said, I'm not sure if the boost in casting is important enough for me to improve my wisdom. What's your opinion?

Note: My current stats before the ASI are 10, 16, 14, 10, 16, 8

MrStabby
2021-06-27, 12:24 PM
I would go wisdom.

Boosting spells prepared, spell dc, healing, AC is all pretty solid.

Dex is AC and attack rolls (predominantly). I think attack roll boosts are a bit less important with a gestalt character as you will be spending a decent proportion of your actions on spellcasting not making weapon attacks.

It is also worth noting that you could wear heavy armour if you wanted and it might affect you a little less than you expect.

Schwann145
2021-06-27, 07:41 PM
Find a way to pick up shillelagh and you don't need dex at all really.

Keravath
2021-06-27, 10:07 PM
For a straight monk I usually go with dex before wisdom since it is important to get the attacks to land in order to use the monk abilities. However, stun, which is amazing, and the other monk DC effects all rely on wisdom. In addition, the probability of landing a stun is slightly better increasing dex over wis because the hit rate is higher but the difference depends on the AC of the target and it is close.

In your case, with all of the additional benefits in terms of spell DC, spells prepared and other elements, I would rank wis as a clear winner over dex at least for the level 4 ASI (assuming both dex and wis are both at 16 or better at the moment from point buy etc).

P.S. The down side to shillelagh is the bonus action cost on the first round of combat - this prevents monk unarmed strike or flurry of blows, use of ki to dash, dodge or disengage or other bonus action uses. It would also prevent you from casting divine favor (though you aren't a war cleric so this probably isn't available as a method to increase your monk damage) or other bonus action spells. (I have an arcana cleric which I originally built with shillelagh but found it too inconvenient in terms of action economy between using spirit guardians and spiritual weapon, I often found myself unable to fit in shillelagh until the 3rd round of combat ... so you might find that to be a bit of a problem with a monk that has a number of good bonus action uses).

KorvinStarmast
2021-06-28, 09:07 AM
Wisdom. For two reasons.
1. Cleric spells benefit from it
2. Makes resisting stun a little more difficult.

stoutstien
2021-06-28, 09:13 AM
Mercy monks are one of the few traditions that can safely delay dex.

Waazraath
2021-06-28, 09:35 AM
I'm currently building a level 5 Life Cleric / Mercy Monk Gestalt character for an upcoming campaign. However, I don't know whether I should put my level 4 ASI into dexterity or wisdom. Dex is more important to my monk abilities, although wisdom doesn't hurt either. With that said, I'm not sure if the boost in casting is important enough for me to improve my wisdom. What's your opinion?

Note: My current stats before the ASI are 10, 16, 14, 10, 16, 8

Close enough not to matter mechanically, just pick what you like or what fits your character concept better.