PDA

View Full Version : Paladins and alternate mounts options (or, I'm tired of horses...)

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-13, 04:49 PM
I'm playing a paladin in a game, and was interested in swapping the horse for a different kind of mount. I spoke to the DM about it, and he said it would be alright, as long as it's covered by the rules (like the Druid switching pets). We found the entry in the DMG that's all about alternate special paladin mounts, but neither of us could make much sense about it. Instead of having an easy table like the druid does, there are alot of specific examples, but if you don't want one of them, the rules on getting a different mount seemed quite long winded, and we couldn't come up with a definate or easy answer.

I was wondering what the 'equivalent' level a hippogriff or a griffon would be for the special mount table, and what level I have to be to access either of them. They're both given 'mount' information in their MM entries, but I couldn't find them on the Paladin alternate mount table. Has anyone ever done this, or made sense of the alternate special mount rules in the DMG?

Bryn
2007-11-13, 04:57 PM
Look at the paragraph beginning 'suitable mounts'. It gives some rules/guidelines to use for creature choice...

Able and willing to carry the rider
One size character larger than the rider
Can carry only a light load
The maximum CR is equal to (character level)-3. If it can fly, it's (character level)-4.

So, simply find a mount that matches those criteria, and check with your DM (who 'has the final decision on what is or is not a suitable mount').

Also, the level at which you can get griffons and hippogriffs is listed in the paragraph under those rules. Hippogriffs are apparently available at 6th, and griffons at 8th.

To see how many bonus HD each one has, look at the table 'Paladin Level by Mount Availability', and add the relevant number onto either 6 or 8. Hence hippogriffs have 2 bonus HD up to your level 8, after which they have 4 bonus HD, until you reach level 12, etc.

mostlyharmful
2007-11-13, 04:59 PM
Celestial Giant spider... Wooooo. read the horror campaign thread if you haven't already.

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-13, 05:29 PM
I'm going to go ahead and vote for dire boar, because nothing says "I smite the ever loving crap out of infidels" like riding into battle on an massive, adrenaline fueled, raging pig who will fight to the death.

Also, it can help you find truffles and can serve as food in an emergency.

AslanCross
2007-11-13, 05:32 PM
I'd go with the Dire Lion. The sheer awesomeness of a paladin mounted on a 15-foot lion of righteousness covered in bony spikes rocks. It also gets nifty stuff like Pounce and improved grab. Sure, it can't fly, but it can sure tear stuff to bits.

Cuddly
2007-11-13, 05:39 PM
I'm going to go ahead and vote for dire boar, because nothing says "I smite the ever loving crap out of infidels" like riding into battle on an massive, adrenaline fueled, raging pig who will fight to the death.

Also, it can help you find truffles and can serve as food in an emergency.

There's a vorpal boar floating around out there, somewhere.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-13, 05:42 PM
Giant spider. Those lizard mounts that can climb walls in the Underdark. If you're in a water-based campaign, shark or hippocampus.

If you're 9th (or maybe its 12th) level, pick the right feat and get a drakkensteed or dragonnel or wyrmling.

I personally prefer giant badgers.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-13, 05:42 PM
Look at the paragraph beginning 'suitable mounts'. It gives some rules/guidelines to use for creature choice...

Able and willing to carry the rider
One size character larger than the rider
Can carry only a light load
The maximum CR is equal to (character level)-3. If it can fly, it's (character level)-4.

So, simply find a mount that matches those criteria, and check with your DM (who 'has the final decision on what is or is not a suitable mount').

Also, the level at which you can get griffons and hippogriffs is listed in the paragraph under those rules. Hippogriffs are apparently available at 6th, and griffons at 8th.

To see how many bonus HD each one has, look at the table 'Paladin Level by Mount Availability', and add the relevant number onto either 6 or 8. Hence hippogriffs have 2 bonus HD up to your level 8, after which they have 4 bonus HD, until you reach level 12, etc.

Thanks for the info! It should help make sense out of everything.

The other options seem quite cool, though somewhat exotic. I'm not sure if the DM will allow dire animals yet.

I'll have to check out that horror campaign thread.

Glyphic
2007-11-13, 05:45 PM
I've always had the opinion that riding a carrion crawler into battle (pally or not) would be oh so delicious.

Satyr
2007-11-13, 05:48 PM
Play a small character and ride an elf. you can take it with you when you go down in a dungeon and it is very adaptive. Sometimes you almost think it understands every single word you say.

Zombie_Love
2007-11-13, 06:00 PM
Play a small character and ride an elf. *snip* Sometimes you almost think it understands every single word you say.

You sir, are my hero.
Also, I've always wanted a half-dragon horse. It works out if you don't think too hard about how it came to be.

Nermy
2007-11-13, 06:29 PM
Someone should ask their DM if his or her level 8 paladin can have an Axiomatic That Damn Crab as a mount.

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-13, 06:31 PM
You sir, are my hero.
Also, I've always wanted a half-dragon horse. It works out if you don't think too hard about how it came to be.

I've always wanted a half-dragon rhino.

MCerberus
2007-11-13, 06:34 PM
I've always wanted a half-dragon rhino.

Since Rhinos are large, it can fly too.

Burrito
2007-11-13, 07:02 PM
Just ride out on a Feral Troll. Or if that doesn't work, twelve stout dwarves to carry you about on your Golden Throne of Justice. An ankylosaurus would also be pretty sweet.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-13, 07:27 PM
You sir, are my hero.
Man, Half-Dragon Horse is nothing. You could potentially have a Half-Dragon Shambling Mound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shamblingMound.htm).

MCerberus
2007-11-13, 07:28 PM
Man, Half-Dragon Horse is nothing. You could potentially have a Half-Dragon Shambling Mound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shamblingMound.htm).

That flies too.

Darkforge
2007-11-14, 07:13 AM
hehe, some fun ideas there, but try and post info such as what equivalent level they are etc.

Personally my current Paladin doesn't have a mount, charging smite (PHBII alternate class feature) is quite fun and you don't have to leave your class ability outside the dungeon :smallsmile:

SoD
2007-11-14, 07:41 AM
I'd personally go with a monsterous scorpion. Just for the hell of it.

WorthingSon
2007-11-14, 08:24 AM
If you check the crystal keep indexes (here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/)) the creatures index (here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Creatures.pdf)) has a section of Paladin mounts.

Attilargh
2007-11-14, 10:01 AM
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might be able to convince him that you didn't mean nothin' by it...
And remember: Having awful goo in your alignment doesn't mean you can't be a badass.

Mr.Moron
2007-11-14, 10:11 AM
I'd go with the Dire Lion. The sheer awesomeness of a paladin mounted on a 15-foot lion of righteousness covered in bony spikes rocks. It also gets nifty stuff like Pounce and improved grab. Sure, it can't fly, but it can sure tear stuff to bits.

I can do one better than both of you! Half-Dragon Dire Bear! I'm almost certain that thing would project an aura that requires opponents to make a fort save or die of over exposure to awesome.

Sure, you need to be level 13 to ride the thing. But come on! It's a flying fire-breathing* giant bear.

EDIT:*You know, or other breath weapon as applicable by dragon-type. Maybe an acid-breathing bear?

Fishy
2007-11-14, 10:21 AM
It's really all about the divine dinosaurs, although sphinx might be amusing, too.

Now, is there a large, flightless bird somewhere in the monster manual? That we can make celestial and name Bocco?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-14, 10:24 AM
Achaierai, maybe?

Hmm....GOT IT! A Half Dragon Lich werebunny!

Shatenjager
2007-11-14, 10:26 AM
Giant spider. Those lizard mounts that can climb walls in the Underdark. If you're in a water-based campaign, shark or hippocampus.

Yep nothing says righteous glory like riding into battle on the section of the brain believed to aid in the formation of new memories

Ne0
2007-11-14, 10:28 AM
I always loved the idea of a griffon as a mount...It'd fit pretty well with a paladin, I believe...You'd need to be lvl8, though...

hewhosaysfish
2007-11-14, 10:36 AM
If you're a small character, you can ride a rust monster.

Alternatively, a hydra mount could be fun, or if that's a bit too much just opt for the giant snake (Large or Huge Viper).

EDIT: Or add the "Titanic" template to things willy-nilly and hope. "My my god has gifted me with a ten-tonne toad!" Just watch out for icebergs.

Mr.Moron
2007-11-14, 10:42 AM
I'll add on a more-down-to-earth-note (as awesome as a flying bear with a breath weapon is), something like a giant eagle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/eagleGiant.htm) might work, you'd need level 7. A small paladin could get something like a Young brass dragon at level 10. That's only if you really want the mount to fly, land-bound stuff opens up options a bit more.

Then again, there is merit in going a little over the top...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-14, 10:45 AM
Aye. Like getting a Dark, thri-keen prismatic dragon.

mostlyharmful
2007-11-14, 10:50 AM
Next NPC pally is riding a Hydra.. many many heads of flamey death... Woot!:smalleek:

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-14, 11:00 AM
Aye. Like getting a Dark, thri-keen prismatic dragon.

.. Thri-keen is a race.

Try this. Go Paladin 10/Ashworm Dragoon 10(Sandstorm) and get an Ashworm as your Paladin mount. You can get the Ashworm at level 5 as normal and it can burrow(and take you with it!) At 20th, your Ashworm has +14 HD(total of 19), +18 Natural Armor, +7 STR, and be Huge sized. Not only that, Ashworms have a very nice 2d6 STR poison that scales fairly well.

Failing that, a Dire Tortoise is a nice, cheesy choice. You have to be 11th level to get it, but it always acts during the surprise round. Regardless of whether it's opponents are aware of it's existence or not.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-14, 11:05 AM
Wasn't there a template of thri-keen? far as I know, it was integrated into many builds as a template, not a race.

hewhosaysfish
2007-11-14, 11:26 AM
Failing that, a Dire Tortoise is a nice, cheesy choice. You have to be 11th level to get it, but it always acts during the surprise round. Regardless of whether it's opponents are aware of it's existence or not.

Because, of course, tortoises are known for their lightning-fast reactions... What the heck is the justification for that ability?

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-14, 11:36 AM
Because, of course, tortoises are known for their lightning-fast reactions... What the heck is the justification for that ability?

Because of the Dire Tortoise's... Lightning fast reactions. I kid you not.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-14, 11:53 AM
.. Thri-keen is a race.

Try this. Go Paladin 10/Ashworm Dragoon 10(Sandstorm) and get an Ashworm as your Paladin mount. You can get the Ashworm at level 5 as normal and it can burrow(and take you with it!) At 20th, your Ashworm has +14 HD(total of 19), +18 Natural Armor, +7 STR, and be Huge sized. Not only that, Ashworms have a very nice 2d6 STR poison that scales fairly well.

Unfortunately, the 'weather' books are out. I was really keen on the 'Frost' book's paladin PrC (forget the name...) and getting a megalocerous (can't remember the exact name, but it's a kick-ass stag thing) mount. Unfortunately, our setting isn't really conducive to that type of climate.

The half-dragon horse seems like another interesting idea, though. Half-dragon dire bear is a little far off (high teen levels I think?).

Mr.Moron
2007-11-14, 12:00 PM
Unfortunately, the 'weather' books are out. I was really keen on the 'Frost' book's paladin PrC (forget the name...) and getting a megalocerous (can't remember the exact name, but it's a kick-ass stag thing) mount. Unfortunately, our setting isn't really conducive to that type of climate.

The half-dragon horse seems like another interesting idea, though. Half-dragon dire bear is a little far off (high teen levels I think?).

Low Teens actually. Dire Bear's base CR is 7 +2 for the Half-Dragon Template. That's CR9. You've got to be Level(CR+4) for a flying mount, that means level 13 for the flying bear.

EDIT: If you want a lower level flying bear it could just be a Half-Dragon Brown Bear.
CR4 + 2 = 6. That'd make it a level 10 mount.

It could also be a Half-Celestial Brown Bear for the same CR.

Small Rider could get Half-Celestial Black Bear at level 7. Sadly, a Half-Dragon Black Bear won't have wings.

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-14, 12:00 PM
I would like to point out that if your dire boar gets hit by a fireball not only will it be enraged by such an obvious attempt against its life, it will also smell delicious.

As a side thought why aren't there dire horses? There are dire verisons of almost every other animal under the sun, so why does the horse get left out? I'm surprised no one has mentioned riding a basilisk yet. Capturing criminals would be so much easier if they're just a statue.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-14, 12:02 PM
At 7th level, you can pick up a Celestial Cockatrice. If you're a small-sized Paladin, you can ride it at 8th level(due to bonus hit dice bumping it up to medium sized)

Alternatively, you can get a Dragonne at 10th. Very nice mount with flight.

Efreeti. 12th level. 3 Wishes 1/day. :smalltongue:

The_Werebear
2007-11-14, 12:04 PM
Dire ape could be good. I bet you could train one to fight with weapons and wear your extra armor.

TempusCCK
2007-11-14, 12:59 PM
Celestial Rhino. Can't fly, can't pounce, but goddamn, a charge is going to kill. And Rhinos are badass.

Darkforge
2007-11-14, 01:49 PM
If you're a small character, you can ride a rust monster.

or he could ride a rust monster advanced to large, that and the +1 enhancement to armour to make it not rust...