PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Band (back?) Together...

Ogun
2021-06-28, 05:00 PM
We will be doing a new campaign, starting at third level.
We have at least two bards so far, so I was thinking, what if we all took a least one level in bard?
My son is already a banjo playing poison frog, I'm thinking of being a Spore Druid/Bard warforged playing a jug or concertina...
We have 4 other players, I might be able to get them on board, we would have enough for a Ska band!
Obviously it would be cool, but would it be any good?

ProsecutorGodot
2021-06-28, 05:13 PM
One level of Bard is pretty limiting if having to dump a score is a problem because of the Charisma requirement to multiclass in or out of Bard. Whether you're doing stats using point buy, standard array or rolling would be the first hurdle. A Monk or Barbarian might have an especially tough time in this regard.

You could always flavor it through background, there are a lot of backgrounds that have proficiency with an instrument.

As far as the mechanical benefits of a single level in Bard... There's not a lot. You can pick up some basic cantrips and healing spells, you get light armor and a skill proficiency as well as an instrument proficiency. Then there's the handful (or possible even just one) use of Bardic Inspiration. I suppose it's better than a handful of other dips.

I really would recommend having the band thing be a background thing more than a class thing. Perhaps those who actually opt in to taking Bard levels are the ones who kept on with it, the ones who only have the instrument proficiency through their background or even a racial feature are those who played in high school and got a "real job".

Reynaert
2021-06-28, 05:13 PM
We will be doing a new campaign, starting at third level.
We have at least two bards so far, so I was thinking, what if we all took a least one level in bard?
My son is already a banjo playing poison frog, I'm thinking of being a Spore Druid/Bard warforged playing a jug or concertina...
We have 4 other players, I might be able to get them on board, we would have enough for a Ska band!
Obviously it would be cool, but would it be any good?

You really don't need to be bard to be a music performer.
Background: Entertainer would be more than anough to be in a band, and you can easily get away with just proficiency in performance and in a musical instrument.

Ogun
2021-06-28, 05:50 PM
Great points.
I forgot that the number uses of bardic inspiration keyed off of Charisma, clearly I don't play bards...
I like to multi class, but I may just go straight druid-what instrument best doubles as a club?

quinron
2021-06-28, 09:35 PM
Great points.
I forgot that the number uses of bardic inspiration keyed off of Charisma, clearly I don't play bards...
I like to multi class, but I may just go straight druid-what instrument best doubles as a club?

I'd go for drums. As a musician, it's painful for me to think of even a fantasy elf game character using their instrument to hit someone.
But using the thing you use to hit your instrument to hit someone - that's a different story.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-01, 10:31 PM
Great points.

Play a vuvuzela. It won't sound any worse after you beat someone to death with it.

Vykryl
2021-07-03, 08:04 PM
I'd go for drums. As a musician, it's painful for me to think of even a fantasy elf game character using their instrument to hit someone.
But using the thing you use to hit your instrument to hit someone - that's a different story.

Cast Shillelagh on your drum sticks 😁