PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help with detailed NPC

bot
2021-06-29, 05:14 PM
Last night just before ending for the night, I quickly improvised an NPC and I'd love some input/inspiration for character traits and specific abilities.

We're playing in d&d forgotten realms (3.5, though I'm not necessarily looking for rule specific answers)

The NPC is hired by the PCs through an intermediary agent who set up a meet & greet between them. The NPCs role will be trapfinding on an raid through a lich's keep to reach the phylactery before his return (after he perished recently)

I hadn't planned for the PCs to hire this help, so I just spitted out a short character portrait and a random character art from online.

https://www.deviantart.com/akira-jw/art/Commission-3-788583825

Traits:

As you can see on the character art, she has 2 special looking eyes. I was thinking they might have some special properties - I was kinda thinking the one could be related to seeing magical auras (and thereby seeing magical traps). I'm unsure what the other eye's properties might be. Ideas?
I was thinking she'd be a CN rouge character, relatively friendly unless pushed. I haven't gotten further than that. Ideas?
Some other bits of inspiration?

noob
2021-07-01, 07:07 AM
Last night just before ending for the night, I quickly improvised an NPC and I'd love some input/inspiration for character traits and specific abilities.

We're playing in d&d forgotten realms (3.5, though I'm not necessarily looking for rule specific answers)

The NPC is hired by the PCs through an intermediary agent who set up a meet & greet between them. The NPCs role will be trapfinding on an raid through a lich's keep to reach the phylactery before his return (after he perished recently)

I hadn't planned for the PCs to hire this help, so I just spitted out a short character portrait and a random character art from online.

https://www.deviantart.com/akira-jw/art/Commission-3-788583825

Traits:

As you can see on the character art, she has 2 special looking eyes. I was thinking they might have some special properties - I was kinda thinking the one could be related to seeing magical auras (and thereby seeing magical traps). I'm unsure what the other eye's properties might be. Ideas?
I was thinking she'd be a CN rouge character, relatively friendly unless pushed. I haven't gotten further than that. Ideas?
Some other bits of inspiration?

Traits 1: the second special looking eye could just have no ability other than glowing weirdly.
The fact only one of their eyes sees magic makes them lack depth perception for magic so they will have an hard time seeing how far the aura is.
2: While this character looks as if it used rouge I am not sure it is fair to call them rouge as if their worry about their own appearance was their defining part.
3: You could go in the extreme about the pushed part: have this character be a former murderer because someone blackmailed them in the past and they are willing to kill any who finds the blackmail worthy information because they are completely against the idea other could have power over them so everything is fine until the players tries to investigate on the past of the npc.(maybe the blackmail material is related to the source they have for their rouge)