PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in the Forgotten Realms

Ryton
2021-06-30, 01:27 PM
For those unaware, as part of the current big MtG/D&D crossover, WotC is releasing a free adventure module. It will be split into 5 parts, and they will collectively span 8th to 10th level. Apparently each part will be 15-20 pages, and first part, In Scarlet Flames (https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/scarlet-flames-2021-06-30) was released today.

I don't know what the release schedule for the rest of the adventure looks like, but I'll try to keep this post updated for any interested parties.

Edit: it appears that the various parts are going to be released weekly. Accordingly, the second adventure, The Hidden Page (https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hidden-page-2021-07-07), has been released.

A Verdant Tomb (https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/verdant-tomb-2021-07-14)

Imbalance
2021-06-30, 01:59 PM
Interesting. I keep forgetting that they occasionally have free stuff over there.

Unoriginal
2021-06-30, 03:16 PM
Having skimmed it, I think this adventure can be interesting. The two new statblocks are worth the read, at least.

Waterdeep Merch
2021-06-30, 03:53 PM
Looks like a decent little 1-2 hour adventure. Not too overwrought or complicated, and not so simple that a DM is left figuring out half the game. It's a good start.

Wizard_Lizard
2021-06-30, 04:04 PM
Oo free things! Neat!

greenstone
2021-06-30, 09:49 PM
Is the adventure missing a couple of maps, levels 1 and 2 of the barrow?

gloryblaze
2021-07-01, 06:08 PM
Having skimmed it, I think this adventure can be interesting. The two new statblocks are worth the read, at least.

They’re only very slightly modified versions of the Conjurer from Volo’s (Malivar has 17 Cha instead of 11, he has cone of cold prepped instead of cloudkill, and his race, alignment, and languages are filled in) and the efreeti (Exul loses his Wis saving throw proficiency and the ability to cast gaseous form compared to a default efreeti, and trades out enlarge/reduce for comprehend languages and his scimitars out for handaxes. He also gets to summon an earth elementals instead of a fire elemental if he so chooses with his innate conjure elemental.)

Still, these are great examples of how to tweaks a statblock to serve an adventure’s purpose—Malivar’s cone of cold interacts with the mechanics of the burning library in a way that cloudkill wouldn’t, and Exul’s spells definitely paint him as the sort who would take the time to read all the lost lore in a library before burning it down, considering he has two different spells dedicated just to communicating across language barriers.

Keravath
2021-07-01, 10:14 PM
My biggest comment would be the mostly useless small scale map on the last page. They have numbered locations for levels 1 and 2 but no maps for them from what I can see. Only the bottom level with locations 13-16 has a map. It is relatively easy for a DM to make up but it means they have to read through carefully so that the stairs in room 6 are the ones that connect to room 8.

The lack of maps could be due to the relatively high probability of the floors collapsing but if that is the case, why bother describing all the rooms in between anyway? I think leaving out at least minimal maps for level 1 and 2 covering rooms 1-12 is an oversight that should not have been missed.

Corsair14
2021-07-02, 07:59 AM
Does it take place outside the Sword Coast like maybe in the Dale lands or Moonshae Islands? Cant access it from work, just curious.

PattThe
2021-07-06, 03:40 AM
Does it take place outside the Sword Coast like maybe in the Dale lands or Moonshae Islands? Cant access it from work, just curious.

Secomber. One of the only cites along the upper Delimbyr to survive the Spellplague alongside Loudwater.

Ryton
2021-07-07, 01:48 PM
The second part of the adventure has been released, and I've added the link to the OP.