PDA

View Full Version : Looking for build ideas to fit party LV6

Nosta
2021-06-30, 05:11 PM
We Have a Valor Bard who has been acting as the main melee. And party face

A Open hand Monk who I guess is 2nd melee

And a wild magic Sorcerer. Who from what I can tell. Likes to use spells like sleep and charm person

I am looking for either a good utility archer build or a good raw damage caster

I do get a free feat from the GM BTW

Man_Over_Game
2021-06-30, 06:41 PM
We Have a Valor Bard who has been acting as the main melee. And party face

A Open hand Monk who I guess is 2nd melee

And a wild magic Sorcerer. Who from what I can tell. Likes to use spells like sleep and charm person

I do get a free feat from the GM BTW

I'm thinking either Artillerist Artificer, or Evocation Wizard. Both do what you're asking for excellently. The wizard has more AoE damage and combat utility, while the artificer comes with some well-needed durability for your party and great single target damage while supporting the party between encounters.

Ertwin
2021-06-30, 07:23 PM
For raw damage caster, you can't get much better than warlock. With the various invocations on EB, you can help gather opponents together for your sorcerer's crowd control spells.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-06-30, 08:04 PM
Not quite what you asked for, but a goblin rogue 1/trickery cleric 5 would fit into that party pretty nicely. It Ups the stealth capabilities of an already Dex-based group to new levels with Blessing of the Trickster and Pass Without Trace, brings the full cleric spell list, and adds a few odds and ends like thieves' tools and maybe a high perception (high Wis + expertise) to the party. The goblin race makes it play like a 2nd level rogue (mostly), and combines with sneak attack (and eventually divine strike) for the occasional extra-hard hit.

Eldariel
2021-07-01, 12:44 AM
Half-Elf (Weapon Training from High Elf Heritage) Elven Accuracy + Sharpshooter Bladesinger seems pretty good. You would bring the archer to the table, and some arcane casting. 2 attacks, solid melee, solid range, and lots of cool tricks up your sleeves.

Arkhios
2021-07-01, 12:53 AM
Well, you could try a cleric with, maybe, the Light domain, and the Crossbow Expert feat. When your ranged attacks fail to make a difference, throw a fireball.

You could even ask your DM if you can use the Tasha's optional 8th level domain feature Blessed Strikes (replaces Potent Spellcasting). That way your arrows could deal more damage when they hit, even if only once per turn.

KorvinStarmast
2021-07-01, 09:40 AM

I do get a free feat from the GM BTW Good Utility Archer?
vHuman Fighter, Battle Master, archery style, Sharpshooter feat. And for a bit of defense, use the free feat to get Medium Armor Master so that you can add one more dex point to your AC to scale mail or half plate, and, you have no disadvantage on any stealth checks. Oh, yeah, take proficiency in Stealth.

That's my suggestion.

Or, do the same build above but make it a Ranger, Gloom Stalker, same feats.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-07-01, 11:02 AM
I say go Gloom Stalker Ranger, and get all the Wis skills: Handle Animal, Insight, Perception, Survival, plus Stealth and whatever else. Take Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter. Max out Dex, and prioritize Wis and Con, wear light armor and use a shield with a hand crossbow. Use the Ranger improvements from Tasha's.

Consider using variant Human or custom lineage for an extra feat so you can use your 4th level ASI to increase Dex. Otherwise go Wood Elf and plan to take Elven Accuracy, and be sure to swap all those racial weapon proficiencies for tools per Tasha's.

Outlander's a fitting background that gets a decent feature, but consider customizing out the musical instrument proficiency for a useful tool proficiency, such as woodcarver's tools. Also consider swapping the background's Athletics proficiency for Acrobatics.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-07-01, 11:26 AM
I'd second Light Cleric as a solid option; it was my first 5e character, so I have a soft spot. You get the healing obviously, decent hp and AC, and access to the best damage dealing spell through mid-game. I took Elemental Adept, but we were fighting a lot of demons, so you'd have to judge this by the campaign. If you want to Stealth (and you might as the party doesn't have any big clunky folks to warn everyone they are coming) then Medium Armor Master isn't a bad choice. It's nieche, but in this case it's worth 2 AC points (1/2 plate +3 vs breastplate +2). That one really depends on party play style and DM ruling on stealth.

MrStabby
2021-07-01, 11:29 AM
Hmm. Maybe hexblade is a good start. From level 3 if you go pact of the blade you can make a bow your weapon. Half elf is good for all-round stats. Still add sharpshooter at level 4.

Utility comes from the fact you have two spell slots per short rest and can pull on a broad choice of spells. Depending on the level you expect to play to and your stats you have some good half feats like fey touched and telekinetic that will go well here for boosting charisma.

You can also add some fighter or ranger to the mix if you want - archery fighting style, more spell slots or action surge, a subclass...

Havlock
2021-07-02, 08:35 AM
It doesn't exactly meet your ask but may I suggest Paladin.

Tanky, nova damage, sweet sweet aura to assist the other melee folks, bless, some healing. Something for everyone.