PDA

View Full Version : Just a silly GIF I made...

Thanatos
2007-11-13, 06:24 PM
http://undeath.homestead.com/files/Rlyeh.gif

The art isn't mine, of course, I just put the idea together after a derailment of a geeky linguistic train of thought.

Mad Mask
2007-11-13, 06:26 PM
I don't understand. What's it supposed to mean ?

AmberVael
2007-11-13, 06:31 PM
XD
That is pure awesome, Thanatos.

Green Bean
2007-11-13, 06:41 PM
That is quite possibly the greatest Elder Evil-related Internet meme ever! Do you mind if I steal it? I just know there's going to be times where it'll be oh so appropriate. :smallbiggrin:

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-11-13, 07:35 PM
Excellent.

Thanatos
2007-11-13, 08:39 PM
I don't understand. What's it supposed to mean ?
It started with musing upon how the letters I, J, and Y have quite a bit of overlap in languages that use the Roman alphabet. In German, you have "Ja", which sounds like and means the same thing as "Ya" in English slang. Latin didn't have a letter J, though, so for them it would become "Ia". Because I'm a geek, that of course reminded me of "Iä", which is used in the mad prayers to the Great Old Ones in the Cthulhu mythos.

So "Iä" = "Ya", and R'lyeh, the sunken city where Cthulhu lies dreaming, contains "Rly".

From there it was just a matter of finding a good pic of Cthulhu and another well-known member of his pantheon (Nyarlathotep), and editing them into shape for the gag. The Nyarlathotep picture was artistically the best one I found for it's clarity and pose, but in black & white it wouldn't have fit the style, so I photoshopped it. I also tracked down the font used in the original O RLY image, and of course combined them into a simple GIF.

And no, of course I don't mind if people use it, that's the point of letting it loose on the internet... it'd be fun to run across others using it later.

Vote Cthulhu in 2008!
Why settle for the lesser of two evils?

NO MORE YEARS!
NO MORE YEARS!
NO MORE YEARS!

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-21, 05:43 PM
Don't know how well it works with the Great Old Ones, but as far as image macros references go, a final "No Wai!" type response is pretty much required. :smallwink:

Paladin's_Wrath
2007-11-26, 11:25 AM
That is...awesome.

Oh really?
Ya Really!

lol!!!