PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Ray and Equipment

YellowJohn
2021-07-01, 06:55 AM
I'm having trouble figuring out how to adjudicate the spell Antimagic Ray, specifically how it relates to the target's equipment.

The pertinent sections of the spell description are reproduced below:

The target, if struck, functions as if it were inside an antimagic field (PH 200) if it fails its Will save.
If this spell is used against a creature, the subject can’t cast spells or use supernatural or spell-like abilities, nor do such abilities have any effect on the creature. However, the creature can still use spell completion items (such as scrolls) or spell trigger items (such as wands), even though it can’t cast the spells required.
The spell doesn’t affect any objects other than the subject itself, even if those objects are worn, carried by, or in contact with the subject. For instance, if a creature is the target, its equipment remains unaffected.

It's equipment remains unaffected.

What?!?:smallconfused:

Ok, so it explicitly states I can still use spell trigger & spell completion items. Presumably you can still activate Command Word items, and obviously a Magic Sword is still a Magic Sword. But does the victim get the Initiative bonus from their Warning Gauntlet? The Mobility ability from their armour? Do they still get the Con boost from their Amulet?

I am tempted to rule that your equipment retains all its abilities and can affect itself and the creatures around you normally, but cannot affect *you* directly (so the answers to the above questions would all be 'no'), but I'd like more opinions before making a ruling.

How do other forum users expect this to work?

Yuki Akuma
2021-07-01, 06:58 AM
It's pretty explicit about what it does. It prevents the target from casting spells, using supernatural abilities, or using spell-like abilities, or being affected by such.

That is literally all it does.

A Belt of Giant's Strength would still affect them, as it is not a spell, a supernatural ability, or a spell-like ability.

A Trident of Warning would still warn them of danger, as it is not a spell, a supernatural ability, or a spell-like ability.

They could still cast Fireball using a wand, because the spell explicitly says that they can use spell-trigger items.

They could not cast Cure Light Wounds on themselves with a wand, because they cannot be affected by spells.

YellowJohn
2021-07-01, 07:11 AM
So that's one vote for 'They work Normally'.

I find it weird that the victim retains full use of equipment, since
"The target, if struck, functions as if it were inside an antimagic field"
but if enough people tell me I am wrong I will shrug and re-stat encounters accordingly :smallsmile:

Edit: Just for clarification, I totally agree on examples 3 & 4.
It's points 1 & 2 I find weird :smallamused:

Quertus
2021-07-01, 07:28 AM
Why would you need to restat encounters - are their foes protected by permanent / persistent Antimagic Ray effects? :smallconfused:

I'll second the "items still work" theory. I agree that this is weird - it's definitely a place where the fluff doesn't match the crunch. If you are in *real* antimagic, unless your item is a sentient Cleric of Mystra or something, you shouldn't be affected by its magic. But, by the crunch of the spell, you are, so it's the name and fluff that are misleading.

Clearly, someone should invent a spell that *actually* does what this one hyped itself to do.

Anthrowhale
2021-07-01, 07:46 AM
Antimagic Aura (Magic of Faerun) shuts off magical equipment as well.

YellowJohn
2021-07-01, 08:16 AM
Antimagic Aura (Magic of Faerun) shuts off magical equipment as well.

Interesting find.
That's definitely the better offensive option, but not so good to cast on your friendly neighborhood Barbarian :smallbiggrin: