PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Character Backgrounds that should exist, but don't

Merudo
2021-07-01, 03:09 PM
Character backgrounds a neat idea, granting the character flavor and giving them skills related to their past.

Unfortunately there are very few backgrounds - the PHB lists a mere 18, and only Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide add a substantial amount (13).

Crucially, a number of prevalent archetypes in fantasy are missing a corresponding background. Personally, I always find it difficult to pick a background as none usually fit my character well.

Here are some examples of missing backgrounds, which in my opinion should absolutely be in the game:

- Artisan (from a smaller town, not associated with a guild)
- Artist
- Drifter / Hobo
- Farmer (Luke Skywalker was a farmer)
- Official
- Shopkeeper
- Student

Tanarii
2021-07-01, 03:19 PM
I think they did a good job of covering the generic bases, but there's definitely room for more than in the PHB.

I think some of the ones you're asking for are mostly covered by the PHB:
- Artisan/Artist/Shopkeeper are kind of what the guild artisan represents, but you might need to talk to your DM about swapping out the feature for something else if they're not a guild member. Of course, not being a guild member comes with its own risks.
- Luke is a Folk Hero. That background is supposed to be farmers and other commoners turned hero.
- Student is a tricky one, it could be a Sage though.

Two I really liked from SCAG that should have been in the PHB was Watchman (with Investigator Variant) and Bounty Hunter.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-07-01, 03:25 PM
The PHB specifically says you can customize your background, it's the last paragraph on the page before the Acolyte.

Artisan can be a customized version of Guild Artisan.
Artist is a more specific version of Guild Artisan.
Hobo can be an Urchin, just customize the background feature out for a modified version of the Acolyte's (ability to find communal squats) but it only covers up to poor living conditions.
Farmer is a more specific version of Folk Hero.
Official has multiple versions in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, pick whichever one fits best initially and customize it as needed. The Spy version of the Criminal can also be used for this.
Shopkeeper is a more specific version of the Guild Merchant variant of the guild Artisan.
Student is a Scholar, just customize it as needed.

RedMage125
2021-07-01, 03:36 PM
Here are some examples of missing backgrounds, which in my opinion should absolutely be in the game:

- Artist
- Drifter / Hobo
- Official
- Shopkeeper
- Student

Artisan and Artist kind of overlap, only difference is what they create. I can't think of what two skills to give such a background, nor a feature. But being associated with a Guild also means connections, which IS something an adventurer could use. And Guild Artisan covers that. Maybe just suggest an alternate Feature for Guild Artisan, which would cover both?

On that note, Shopkeeper falls directly in line with "Merchant" which is EXPLICITLY an alternate to Guild Artisan, and is even mentioned in the PHB.

Drifter sounds like Outlander + Urchin. I would just work with a DM to maybe swap a few features between them, otherwise, nothing new is gained with this.

What skills and Feature would you like to see for a Farmer? Because Folk Hero already covers the "lower class people see you as one of them and aid you". And since you are a hero NOW, Folk Hero covers everything a Farmer background could mean. I would argue Luke is a Folk Hero.

Official is a bit of a new one. But there WERE more Backgrounds given to us. And the House Agent from Eberron RftLW works nicely, just substitute whichever organization the character was an official of instead of House.

Literally every Sage is also a Student. They had to be before becoming a Sage. And someone who was a Sage-in-training, but never finished their studies, but still knows how to research and find stuff...STILL fits for the Sage background.

Edit: Ninja-ed on almost every point, lol.

Amnestic
2021-07-01, 03:43 PM
The PHB specifically says you can customize your background, it's the last paragraph on the page before the Acolyte.

That's great and all, but the Feature needs to be there in the first place. If you're creating a custom feature that's not customising your background like the rules say, it's just homebrew.

For instance:

Artisan can be a customized version of Guild Artisan.
Artist is a more specific version of Guild Artisan.

These don't really work. The Guild Artisan feature ("Guild Business") says:

As an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides. Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.

Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or magic items to the guild's coffers.

You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild's good graces.

But...that doesn't work if your background is an independent artist or blacksmith or whatever. I went through the features that currently exist even outside the PHB and I can't find one that I like for an independent trader or artist. So yeah, that's missing.

8wGremlin
2021-07-01, 03:44 PM
They did a few more in Saltmarsh book, fisher, marine, shipwright etc.
but these might be good.

Gravedigger
Miner
Lumberjack

and don't forget you can build your own backgrounds per the rules.

Lokishade
2021-07-01, 04:23 PM
Backgrounds aren't just a place of origin and a set of skills. They also gave each of them neat RP powers.

All temples sharing the faith of the Acolyte can be called home.

The Sage is part of an academic network of scholars that allow you to pawn off monster eggs (biologists are hardcore, man)

Soldiers will still recognize your rank...

When thinking up new backgrounds, don't forget the neat background feature that no one else covers.

verbatim
2021-07-01, 04:28 PM
- Underdark Denizen
- Desert Nomad
- Pariah

Naanomi
2021-07-01, 04:35 PM
Folk hero easily covers the town blacksmith, you even get a tool proficiency by default

greenstone
2021-07-01, 05:07 PM
But...that doesn't work if your background is an independent artist or blacksmith or whatever.
What would being an independant artisan give a character?

Perhaps a reputation for "sticking it to the man", for refusing to join the established guild? I think the feature from folk hero covers this quite nicely.

You should also check out 3rd party stuff.
For example https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=backgrounds&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

KorvinStarmast
2021-07-01, 05:39 PM

- Artist
- Drifter / Hobo
- Official
- Shopkeeper
- Student
Is your complaint that there aren't enough pre coded features? All that a background is, in a general sense, is two skill proficiencies, and then a combo of language/tool proficiencies, and a feature, and 10 or 15 GP, and a few interesting items...

Also, Luke Skywalker is Local Hero already: he's not a Farmer.

Tanarii
2021-07-01, 05:48 PM
Folk hero easily covers the town blacksmith, you even get a tool proficiency by default
Definitely. The only thing that might be a bit weird for some people is the implicit "call to destiny", but if you scrub off the serial numbers (defining event and personality suggestions), it works pretty well for any village 'artisan' that probably also spent some time working a plough when growing up. It's a good contrast to the Guild member artisans.

Ogun
2021-07-01, 06:25 PM
Got anything for a dead guy?
Something for anyone who has has another life, perhaps partially or entirely forgotten?

Merudo
2021-07-01, 06:49 PM
Farmer is a more specific version of Folk Hero.

What if the ex-farmer is not an hero? Should we really expect all level 1 characters from a rural origin to be heroes?

Merudo
2021-07-01, 07:50 PM
Also, Luke Skywalker is Local Hero already: he's not a Farmer.

He's not a hero until midway through episode 4 at least.

Aett_Thorn
2021-07-01, 07:56 PM
Got anything for a dead guy?
Something for anyone who has has another life, perhaps partially or entirely forgotten?

Faceless might be worth exploring for this.

Another option I’ve seen is to let the DM pick your background without letting you know what it is, and then as you make random checks throughout the game, they can let you know when to add proficiency to the check and then you write it down.

Devils_Advocate
2021-07-01, 08:19 PM
Feature: Chekhov's Gun

As a mysterious amnesiac of unknown origin, your character had some sort of past before losing their memory. One can only guess as to what it might be based on your character's appearance, possessions, capabilities, motivations, personality traits, and so on. Regardless, lacking any leads to go on, this enigma will assuredly remain forever unresolved, and clues definitely won't finally surface when everyone least expects it.

What if the ex-farmer is not an hero? Should we really expect all level 1 characters from a rural origin to be heroes?
An ex-farmer player character is a farmer turned adventurer. Other ex-farmers are NPCs. That leaves us with pedantic quibbling about the exact meaning of the word "hero". Is that a discussion that you particularly want to have?

Lord Vukodlak
2021-07-01, 08:20 PM

Just file off the background feature.

ProsecutorGodot
2021-07-01, 09:06 PM
That's great and all, but the Feature needs to be there in the first place. If you're creating a custom feature that's not customising your background like the rules say, it's just homebrew.

Pretty sure custom backgrounds aren't "homebrew" in the traditional sense, you're given explicit permission to work with your DM to create a feature if you don't see an existing one that fits your needs.

It's actually the final sentence of the "customizing a background" section.

So if we call this "homebrew" it's exactly the same amount of homebrew as customized characteristics are. Obviously your experience may vary but it reads to me like you're allowed a custom background so long as your DM is on board.

It goes without saying that a published version of whatever background you're looking for is ideal as well.

Tanarii
2021-07-01, 10:29 PM
The background description, defining feature, and personality traits focus one previous act of heroism among the people, if even that, that sets the character on the path to destiny.

And like I said, you can file all that off and use the skills, tools and background feature as is for most common folk, especially those with a handy trade skill of some kind. The rustic hospitality feature fits pretty well for just knowing how to get along with folks.

Akkristor
2021-07-01, 11:31 PM
Arcane Experiment

Failed Experiment

Escaped Experiment

Naanomi
2021-07-02, 11:16 AM
Arcane Experiment

Failed Experiment

Escaped Experiment
Your background is likely tied to what you were before you were experimented on?

If you were created in an experiment... Yes the background system struggles with 'I don't have a background'. I tend to modify up Hermit, Inheritor, or Haunted One... Or maybe Far Traveler 'you are just interesting in your weirdness' style

FabulousFizban
2021-07-02, 03:26 PM
There are rules for creating custom backgrounds.