PDA

View Full Version : Jade Phoenix Mage

schreier
2021-07-01, 05:10 PM
Just curious what people think of the class. It is an interesting way to get the devoted spirit stances (I'm a particular fan of Aura of Perfect Order). Getting full BAB is obviously a bonus as well.

I'm also trying to reconcile the WOTC description of the class in Faerun to the class as written. On their Class Chronicles (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070911), it says:

"In Kara-Tur, jade phoenix mages are relatively common, but they go by other names in the Western Realms. The Shou brought the tradition with them in travels to the West. While no major centers exist, a small number of students of the Raumathari Battlemagic and elven bladesinging traditions have studied jade phoenix magic. These practitioners still think of themselves as battlemages and bladesingers, but who incorporate learned elements from another culture into their studies. Reshar's constant companion, the Raumathari battlemage Turoth Krenth, was the main reason the warrior was able to travel throughout the Realms. Turoth used his magic to transport Reshar to the distant locales where he studied the unique disciplines. Turoth was an accomplished blade magician and wizard who is often forgotten in the legends of Reshar."

How do you reconcile the "relatively common" with
"Today, thirteen Jade Phoenix mages walk the earth—no more, no less. The instant one dies, a new one is born somewhere in the world. As he grows and learns, he is inevitably drawn to both the Sublime Way and the magical arts—for he was a master swordsage and a mighty wizard in previous lives he has now forgotten. In time, another Jade Phoenix master discovers the new incarnation of his old companion. In an age-old rite, the existing master awakens his newfound comrade to awareness of his past lives, renews the oaths of vigilance that bind the Souldrake in its prison, and reveals to him the ancient secrets of the order. Both Jade Phoenix brothers then go their own way, their ancient duty discharged until once again a Jade Phoenix mage dies and is reborn."

and

"Rite of Waking (Ex): When you become a Jade Phoenix mage, you participate in the Rite of Waking with the master who accepted you into the society. This rite takes 10 minutes, but requires nothing other than the presence of a Jade Phoenix master and a suitable candidate. On completion of the rite, you gain awareness of your previous lives. You now remember places you visited, people you knew, and things you did in lifetimes long past. You gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge checks, and you can attempt a Knowledge check even if you are untrained in the appropriate Knowledge skill. You also gain a +2 bonus on saving throws against death effects and fear effects."

The past lives seem pretty linked to the small number of practitioners. You could have them all go into a "group mind/spirit" type scenario where you can see past lives of all dead mages I guess?

Quentinas
2021-07-01, 06:34 PM
Probably as a DM I would make a "path of memories" a place that during the rite of walking you visit spiritually. Here the soul reverberate with the previous memories he leaved here , while the thirteen jade phoenix mage that walk on earth no more no less I would add master or another title you choose

If you choose master you could say that each jade phoenix mage before level 6 th is a candidate to see if that body embodie an ancient spirit of a master , while the other title could be something reserved for the highest level jade phoenix mage, maybe related to a territory or something

As for lore it could be something like an ancient association composed by various members that while on the verge of the destruction imprinted with magic one of their secret site with their memories, that would resonate with souls akin to the ancient members(not each one a master obviously, only a small number of master was present when the site was created) imprinting some memories when they would do the rite of walking. Some of the master had escaped the destruction , and gone in isolation , searching the world for future candidates of the jade phoenix mage. Some of their teaching was confused in other ways to combine magic and blades, someone even not knowing that they are using the jade phoenix magic for accidents . The members that know they are near at the death do a last travel (mainly spiritual but there are voices that even phisically) to the magic site to imprint the memories they gained in this life, leaving them here for future candidates who will become jade phoenix mage

Sorry if my english is bad but it's quite late here ,and english is not my native language

DarkOne-Rob
2021-07-01, 11:17 PM
I cannot take credit for this - a high school friend of mine did it as our DM for a great game - but I recommend making the JPM something much darker, perhaps an "Obsidian" Phoenix Mage. Make them a secret cabal of evil spellcaster-initiators!

In our game, the only way they had been defeated (in the distant past) was by placing them all in stasis. Our PCs accidentally woke one up, and he went about breaking out all his buddies. It was a great setup that really challenged us as players and our PCs. Strongly recommend!

schreier
2021-07-02, 02:59 PM
Good ideas PMQuentinas - maybe there are only 13 6th level or higher Jade Phoenix mages?

And DarkOne - a great idea for a bad guy. Sounds like a fun campaign.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-07-02, 07:41 PM
Oh, it really was! Good luck with yours!

Fouredged Sword
2021-07-06, 04:39 AM
Obviously they abuse overland flight. Walking is for mundane classes.