PDA

View Full Version : Tempest cleric looking for a Flavorful & Strong build (6Th level)

Nosta
2021-07-01, 05:26 PM
Ill be entering a game thats been going on for about 4 sessions. And want to be of use to my party

The rules for building are
1 point buy 27
2 any listed race / run homered races by the Gm
3 class. Same race.
4 we are allowed as a bonus 1 of the following. 2 stat points or a feat or 1000GP extra to start

I want to be all about I am the storm!
Kinda want to swing a maul

I picture a tall character with broad shoulders with a large mauo swung over his shoulders calling down the lighting
Not sure race or what I should take for my bonus and my asi

RogueJK
2021-07-01, 06:02 PM
I'd do something like this:

Variant High Half Elf race, picking the Booming Blade cantrip.

Point Buy of:
STR 15 +1
DEX 10
CON 14 +1
INT 8 (or 10)
WIS 14 +2
CHA 10 (or 8)

The add another +2 to WIS from your bonus 2 free stat points, for 18 total WIS.

With your Level 4 ASI, go with the Resilient CON feat to boost CON to 16 and gain CON save proficiency for Concentration purposes.

This will let you wear Heavy Armor and swing a maul reasonably well, utilizing Booming Blade to help boost your melee damage since you won't get Extra Attack. Combined with Divine Strike at Cleric 8, this at least lets you stay relatively competitive with your lone weapon attack in a turn, for times when you decide you want to swing that maul instead of casting a spell, calling down a bolt from Call Lightning, or merely taking the Dodge action and letting Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians do all the work for you.

At Level 8, either max WIS to 20, or you could boost STR to 18 if you find yourself using the maul in melee quite a bit and just wait until Level 12 to max your WIS.