PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spirit King - Sorcerer Origin (Gish) (P.E.A.C.H.)

Ikedashi
2021-07-01, 05:35 PM
Hello, fellow playgrounders!

Today i would like to present you my attempt to give the sorcerer a gish option to roll. It was interesting to create and satisfying as well. During the processes it turned out to be too similar to the hexblade more or less so i changed it a bit to create an original personality. Also, a friend of mine that reviewed the class for me pointed out that the class gives him a SHAMAN KING vibes and that made me sooo happy! This class working like Yoh and Amidamaru gave me a lot of fun imagination moments. xD.

https://media.giphy.com/media/tRsAZH9SwuTxm/giphy.gif

Sorcerous Origin Spirit King

Your soul is bond to an ancient warrior spirit that offers you intense martial training based on its years of combat experience in mortal life. Each night when you sleep, this spirit guide enters your mind. In your dreams, both of you spar and practice across a hundred different battlefields. You fight ogres, trolls, and other nightmare monsters that your guide creates from the ether of dreams. With each night that passes, you become more and more skilled in the fighting arts.

Spirited Magic
1st-level Spirit King feature
You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Blade Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Spirit Guide Spells
Sorcerer Level Spells
1st Armor of Agathys, Dissonant Whispers
3rd Misty Step, Spiritual Weapon
5th Spirit Guardians, Speak with Dead
7th Greater Invisibility, Death Ward
9th Animate Objects, Dominate Person

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you acquire the training necessary to effectively arm yourself for battle.You gain proficiency with light armor, medium armor, shields, martial weapons and history skill.

Weapon Bond
As a bonus action you can command your spirit guide to posses a weapon that you are proficient. When you attack with a Spirited Weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. Your spectral weapon lasts until you dismiss it or command your guide to posses another weapon. The spectral weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Soul Strike
6th-level Spirit King feature
At 6th level, when you hit a creature with your Spirited Weapon, you can expend 1 sorcery point to cut his soul dealing extra psychic damage and disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a spell you cast before the end of your next turn. The bonus damage is 1d6 times half of your proficiency bonus rounded down.

Hallucination Walk
14th-level Spirit King feature
Starting at 14th level, you mastered a millenary combat technique that can deceive creatures while walking with an odd pattern of moves provided you aren't wearing heavy armor. It provide you supernatural speed, agility and spectral duplicates of yourself.
You can use a bonus action to start the Hallucination Walk, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, or dismiss it at any time you choose (no action required).
While your Hallucination Walk is active, you gain the following benefits:

* Your walking speed increases by 10 feet.
* You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws.
* You create a spectral duplicate of yourself every 10 ft. you walk. You can have up to three duplicates at a time. Each time a creature targets you with an attack during the duration, roll a d20 to determine whether the attack instead targets one of your duplicates. If you have three duplicates, you must roll a 6 or higher to change the attack's target to a duplicate. With two duplicates, you must roll an 8 or higher. With one duplicate, you must roll an 11 or higher. A duplicate's AC equals 10 + your charisma modifier. If an attack hits a duplicate, the duplicate is destroyed. A duplicate can be destroyed only by an attack that hits it. It ignores all other damage and effects. A creature is unaffected if it can't see, if it relies on senses other than sight, such as blindsight, or if it can perceive illusions as false, as with truesight.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

Eternal Bond
18th-level Spirit King feature
At 18th level, the bond between you and your spirit guide is so strong that you can merge your souls and unleash his power. As a bonus action you can command your guide to merge his soul into your body, a visual manifestation of your spirit guide appear behind your back and it moves as you move. For the duration of 10 minutes:

* you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
* You can make one weapon attack as a bonus action with your spectral weapon.
* You gain 10 times your proficiency bonus as temporary hit points. If any of these remain when the bond ends, they are lost.
* You have advantage on attack rolls that you make with your spectral weapon.

Once you use this feature, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 5 sorcery points to use it again.

07/09/21 - Removed from Eternal Bond - * You can substitute a weapon attack to cast a spell. (Still limited by the spell-casting rules)

JNAProductions
2021-07-01, 11:32 PM
With the sole exception of Speak With Dead, you've given them nothing bu really potent combat spells in the expanded list.

Weapon Bond doesn't allow for TWF. It also gives the Hexblade dipping problem.

Soul Strike feels a little oddly worded, and I'd make the damage based on the points spent and not your Proficiency bonus, but doesn't seem OP or anything.

Hallucination Walk is a really weak 14th level feature. It's basically Mirror Image and Longstrider for a minute, plus advantage on Dex Saves. Those aren't exactly world-shattering spells.

Eternal Bond is bonkers. It lets you cast two spells, every single round, for ten minutes. And then attack as a bonus action.

Ikedashi
2021-07-09, 03:45 PM
With the sole exception of Speak With Dead, you've given them nothing bu really potent combat spells in the expanded list.
well, that was the intention. And all of them seems to fit the theme. What other thematic spells would you suggest?

Weapon Bond doesn't allow for TWF. It also gives the Hexblade dipping problem.
true. i´ve didn´t thought about it. But i guess it will be a limitation or you can just talk with the master. i don´t think it would be broken, but it doesn´t fit in the thematic.

Soul Strike feels a little oddly worded, and I'd make the damage based on the points spent and not your Proficiency bonus, but doesn't seem OP or anything.
The selling point of the feature i want to be the disavantage on save, with the bonus damage only to get meaningful but not near as powerful. It also helps with the gish intention. What wording would you use?

Hallucination Walk is a really weak 14th level feature. It's basically Mirror Image and Longstrider for a minute, plus advantage on Dex Saves. Those aren't exactly world-shattering spells.
Well i´ve not tested it. So it´s hard for me to judge the power. Its way stronger than just a mirror image because you can generate new illusions, but i still need to see how often he will be able to generate more. What kind of buff would you like to see? Flying speed equal walking speed? Freedom of movement kind of effect?

Eternal Bond is bonkers. It lets you cast two spells, every single round, for ten minutes. And then attack as a bonus action.
I just read through the casting rules. I totally forgot that the spells per turn was based on the bonus action spellcasting. I will fix the feature to the character not be able to cast more than any other character.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-10, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I’m with JNA here. That spell list needs to be either modified or dropped entirely. Note that Aberrant Mind and Clockwork are the only Official sorcerer subclasses with additional spells granted at first level, and not only are they very tightly thematic (though you can switch them out, which bugs me to no end, but at least they're limited in choices there), but their other 1st level feature is… let’s be honest, kinda bad. Not the case for your subclass here (also, the Spirited Magic refers to the Blade Spells table, which I’m assuming is supposed to be the Spirit Guide spells?).

You get light/medium armor, shields, martial weapons and History. Oh, and the best part of Hexblade, without even the slight limiting factor that it has (weapon must be lacking the two-handed tag). This is effectively the strongest Charisma dip in the entire game, far as I can tell. This is not a compliment.

Soul Strike could really use a simplified method of calculating bonus damage. 1d6*half proficiency is kinda messy, and really really swingy. It's only 1/turn (effectively) and costs a SP. If the intent is to make it 'smite lite', maybe Cha+prof psychic per SP spent?

The restriction on Heavy Armor for Hallucination Walk is a little odd, given how deep into this class you have to go: it makes sense for barbarians, because Rage is a single level dip, but this needs 14 levels. Honestly, I’d be tempted to just grant yourself haste without suffering the ill effects at the end. It wouldn’t be too busted, especially because this class lacks Extra Attack (until 18th level, but balance is 7ish levels behind at that point, so it’s kinda moot).

Eternal Bond is a little funky. Just specify that it gives you 60 THP, not 10*proficiency. It’s 18th level, your proficiency bonus isn’t going to change.

Arkhios
2021-07-11, 03:40 AM
Note that Aberrant Mind and Clockwork are the only Official sorcerer subclasses with additional spells granted at first level

Divine Soul gets one extra spell at first level.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-11, 08:41 AM
Divine Soul gets one extra spell at first level.

That's why I pluralized it - Divine Soul gets an additional spell, not spells.

Draconic technically gets mage armor, and Shadow gets darkness at 3rd level. I'm not counting them either, despite them getting their own free spell. I'm making a comparison point to Aberrant/Clockwork as that seems to be the direction that the OP was heading, and I'm giving my honest opinion.

Ikedashi
2021-07-11, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I’m with JNA here....

Sorcerers deserved a buff. IMHO Tasha's gave it in the form of an expanded spell list, correcting the lack of flexibility the class had. So just don't compare this sub with subs other than Aberrant M and Clockwork S. Sad that they didn't gave other sorcerer subs a spell list too.

Where on earth Clockwork soul's Restore Balance is Bad? It's actually a pretty good ability.

A 1 level dip in this class would be a real problem if hex blade didn't exist, but since it is out there the difference would be marginal. History and the spell slot progression.

I will keep the spell list since sorcerers deserve it and any Origin that doesen't have it should be homebrewed with one.

I will change the first level feature and if you don't want to go MAD just multiclass hexblade.

Arkhios
2021-07-12, 02:48 AM
That's why I pluralized it - Divine Soul gets an additional spell, not spells.

Draconic technically gets mage armor, and Shadow gets darkness at 3rd level. I'm not counting them either, despite them getting their own free spell. I'm making a comparison point to Aberrant/Clockwork as that seems to be the direction that the OP was heading, and I'm giving my honest opinion.

Fair enough.

Slightly pedantic here (again), but Draconic Resilience isn't same as getting mage armor, even if it's calculated similarly. It's just that, an always active feature, as long as you're not wearing armor of any kind. Essentially it's just another Unarmored Defense, named a bit differently. It doesn't cease to affect them even if they were inside Anti-Magic Field.

Since there is already a precedent case in the official rules, I see no reason why you couldn't take a similar approach with your homebrews.