PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Lightning Pole - Does it work?

Ikedashi
2021-07-01, 08:09 PM
Recently i've posted a homebrewed Sorcerous Oringin (Link at the end), and during its creation it remembered me of Tao Ren, a character of Shaman King. Early in the series, he uses a guandao, a chinese Polearm weapon, that he can imbue with electricity. Well, as we all know booming blade exist and i tried to put it to work with a pole. The problem is: This build take a lot of feats to be completed and some wordings of the feats are conflicting.

Please comment what you think about if it work RAW and RAI; If it is problematic to the game play if allowed; How to improve and optimize it. Really, just comment anything you like. Thx, and have a good day.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.vixdata.io%2Fpd%2Fjpg-large%2Fes%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fr%2Fren_tao _shaman_king.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Tao Ren's Electric Pole

We should start with a V.human or Custom lineage as we are feat hungry bouys.

1 - Booming Blade and War Caster
Our story starts with booming blade. Recently in TCE the rulings of the SCAG cantrips changed a bit. According to jeremy boy it still works with war caster and its fine by me.
https://www.sageadvice.eu/the-booming-blade-spell-continues-to-work-with-the-war-caster-feat/
One thing that is troublesome though is the range limitation. The spell states a 5 feet range around yourself so our shocking stick will have a problem of electicity transmition. (We could use spell sniper to make it work RAW. But how reasonable would be to convince your DM to just RAI it?)

Polearm Master
Alright, a bonus action extra attack with our pointy thing is really nice, but what we really are looking for here is the AoO. And If we change the AoO to a spell and manage to use booming blade at 10ft. every enemy will think twice about make one more step try hit you. Another nice thing is that if your are playing a sorcerer, or took Twin Spell with the Metamagic Adept feat, you can hit two enemies with a single AoO triggered.

Sentinel
Now our poking tool can stop people even if they are dumb-dumb enough to get closer. (I rule it as optional as you took the feat you can also don't use it, but the feat don't explicitly state that as an option. how do you rule it?). And lastly but not less important it would be nice to trigger sentinel with a booming blade, even if it is bit counter productive. The text of sentinel specifically states that and AoO set the creatures speed to 0, but war caster's text clearly state that it exchange and AoO for the casting of a spell. The thing is that when used with a SCAG cantrip, the ruling get odd and kinda blurry (Would you let it fly, even if clearly not RAW?).

Homebrewed Sorcerous Origin Spirit King
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?633546-Spirit-King-Sorcerer-Origin-(Gish)-(P-E-A-C-H-)&p=25107122#post25107122

quindraco
2021-07-01, 09:26 PM
Recently i've posted a homebrewed Sorcerous Oringin (Link at the end), and during its creation it remembered me of Tao Ren, a character of Shaman King. Early in the series, he uses a guandao, a chinese Polearm weapon, that he can imbue with electricity. Well, as we all know booming blade exist and i tried to put it to work with a pole. The problem is: This build take a lot of feats to be completed and some wordings of the feats are conflicting.

Please comment what you think about if it work RAW and RAI; If it is problematic to the game play if allowed; How to improve and optimize it. Really, just comment anything you like. Thx, and have a good day.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.vixdata.io%2Fpd%2Fjpg-large%2Fes%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fr%2Fren_tao _shaman_king.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Tao Ren's Electric Pole

We should start with a V.human or Custom lineage as we are feat hungry bouys.

1 - Booming Blade and War Caster
Our story starts with booming blade. Recently in TCE the rulings of the SCAG cantrips changed a bit. According to jeremy boy it still works with war caster and its fine by me.
https://www.sageadvice.eu/the-booming-blade-spell-continues-to-work-with-the-war-caster-feat/
One thing that is troublesome though is the range limitation. The spell states a 5 feet range around yourself so our shocking stick will have a problem of electicity transmition. (We could use spell sniper to make it work RAW. But how reasonable would be to convince your DM to just RAI it?)

Polearm Master
Alright, a bonus action extra attack with our pointy thing is really nice, but what we really are looking for here is the AoO. And If we change the AoO to a spell and manage to use booming blade at 10ft. every enemy will think twice about make one more step try hit you. Another nice thing is that if your are playing a sorcerer, or took Twin Spell with the Metamagic Adept feat, you can hit two enemies with a single AoO triggered.

Sentinel
Now our poking tool can stop people even if they are dumb-dumb enough to get closer. (I rule it as optional as you took the feat you can also don't use it, but the feat don't explicitly state that as an option. how do you rule it?). And lastly but not less important it would be nice to trigger sentinel with a booming blade, even if it is bit counter productive. The text of sentinel specifically states that and AoO set the creatures speed to 0, but war caster's text clearly state that it exchange and AoO for the casting of a spell. The thing is that when used with a SCAG cantrip, the ruling get odd and kinda blurry (Would you let it fly, even if clearly not RAW?).

Homebrewed Sorcerous Origin Spirit King
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?633546-Spirit-King-Sorcerer-Origin-(Gish)-(P-E-A-C-H-)&p=25107122#post25107122

1) You can't use Spell Sniper on Booming Blade, barring another house rule. If you're going to house rule Booming Blade to work with OAs, it makes just as much sense to house rule that Distant Spell works on it, which I think is a smaller ask than for Spell Sniper to work on it (the range of Booming Blade is Self, and Self doubled is still Self - you're asking for Spell Sniper to make AOEs bigger instead of increasing range), only because Distant Spell costs you a sorcery point and Spell Sniper is a passive that's always on. But it's all house rules, so whatever your DM says goes - Distant Spell, Spell Sniper, and War Caster OAs are all illegal, so once you start house ruling, the only limit is what the DM declares.
2) You also can't Twin Booming Blade - but again, your DM may house rule in your favor.
3) Of course Sentinel is optional, you can always choose not to take an OA.
4) There's no interaction between War Caster and Sentinel, so I think you mean War Caster and PAM. That's 100% RAW - and it happens both times if someone approaches you. That is, with the PAM feat and War Caster, you can use War Caster when someone enters within 5 feet of you, not just 10 - PAM doesn't specify only the reach of your polearm, it says your reach, so you can use PAM to trigger Unarmed Strike OAs normally, and with War Caster, cast a spell.

Chronos
2021-07-03, 07:00 AM
He's not houseruling Booming Blade working on opportunity attacks. He's using Warcaster for that.

Mitchellnotes
2021-07-03, 08:07 AM
The spell sniper and warcaster on booming blade used to work, but doesn't seem to with the Tasha's booming blade. The change is that the SCAG booming blade had a range of 5' but the tasha's has a range of self and how that change interacts with spell sniper and warcaster. Now, there could be an argument made for allowing it, but I think that that would be the DM's call.

ff7hero
2021-07-03, 08:58 AM
Booming Blade War Caster is still RAW post-Tasha's. The range is now Self (5 Ft Radius), which doesn't mean it now "targets" the caster. The Spell description mentions "the target" multiple times and I hope it doesn't mean the caster.

As always, Player Rule Zero applies, ask your DM.

Gignere
2021-07-03, 09:34 AM
Alternatively you may consider building this character off a Paladin chassis because Paladins get thunderous smite which isn’t that different from booming blade but it works with any melee weapon attack so works on weapons with reach, unlike booming blade. Maybe make a sorcadin so you have access to both.