PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Tables

Thurbane
2021-07-02, 06:25 PM
So, I recently just discovered the amazing hoard tables in Draconomicon (p.277-281).

Aside from the standard treasure tables (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm), and the above mentioned Draconomicon, are there other sources I've missed?

Primarily interested in official WotC sources, but I do use the excellent 3rd party book Mother of all Treasure Tables (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/12252/The-Mother-of-All-Treasure-Tables?src=also_purchased) in my game.

Also willing to look at PF and other sources.

To be clear looking for mundane treasures, not magic item treasure tables.

I want more variety in loot than just "You find 500gp, 1200 sp, and 2 gems each worth 100gp". The more valuables and art objects to chose from, the better.

I sometimes include valuable material components as part of loot (i.e. a jade circlet worth more than 1500gp etc.).

All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Also last time I asked something similar, I kept getting magical item suggestions, so I'm putting here twice that I am looking for mundane loot/treasure, not magical.

Cheers - T

unseenmage
2021-07-02, 11:12 PM
Using monster encounter tables for loot-able corpses could work.
The party finds a valuable corpse. A corpse of what? The handy monster encounter chart is here to help.

NPC and PC starting loot tables can be a nice source of random mundane loot as well.

Temotei
2021-07-03, 03:51 AM
Magic Item Compendium has lists for mundane items, ironically. Some are duplicates from the DMG but there are some unique things.

Crake
2021-07-03, 04:08 AM
I believe the treasure tables were kept intentionally vague, and are specifically noted as examples, as, for particularly noteworthy treasures, they want the DM to hand craft the loot so that it's memorable, and also so you can include some kind of history for the items in question, perhaps the players can return them to their rightful owners for a fee and renown for example.

Lilapop
2021-07-03, 05:26 AM
The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has various local coins on page 91 and an extended and (IIRC) slightly modified list of gems on page 300. The Arms & Equipment Guide has a bunch of basic clothing, guidelines for jewelry pricing and an extended list of trade goods (some spices being particularly valuable) on pages 29 to 32. Bit limited compared to what you're looking for, but its something.

Personally, playing on a VTT and being rather bad at immersive descriptions, I just hoover any imagery I can find - museum websites, videogame wikis, random posts on image hosting sites, google image search for something specific and the rabbithole behind that, and so on - and apply some sensible prices to those items.

https://i.imgur.com/9t3V9Ql.jpg
Going by A&EG, table 2-3: nine veeeery cheap gold rings (they are closed at the end, but rather thin), 25 gp each; two uuuuh... lets say torcs, with some rather visible soldering, 50 gp each; 325 gp for the set (would have been 400 if it was complete).

"A pair of flipflops [thongs] of gold sheet metal, with a matching set of golden toecaps. One toecap is missing."

unseenmage
2021-07-03, 09:01 AM
To intentionally skirt the edges of your query, broken or expended magic items are mundane treasure.

While a used wand is now just a stuck, and a used scroll just a parchment, some expended magic items still have use I imagine.

Broken magic items can be repaired with the right efforts. PF has a single spell, Memory of Function, that completely restores the item. Pricing them as broken magic items instead of simply mundane objects changes the prices.

So the magic item loot tables could be utilized to generate broken and expended, now mundane, items that the PCs get to sift through figuring out which ones are worth reselling, which they want to repair, and which are just sticks and parchment.

EDIT:

Using monster encounter tables for loot-able corpses could work.
The party finds a valuable corpse. A corpse of what? The handy monster encounter chart is here to help.

The corpses of Constructs are my favorite weirdness in this regard. Because sure that iron golem weighs x lbs and it's corpse hasn't lost any mass but nope you cannot sell it for the cost of its iron.
Iron golem corpse isn't in ingots after all and who knows what the mystical process does to the stuff that now has to be un done to make it into useful iron again, right?

We price it as a creature, then halve that for it being dead aka a broken creature and if the corpse is super destroyed we halve it again for that object itself being broken.
Means our GM doesn't need to hand out as much versamillitude breaking golden loot AND we have a set of standard values for necromancers to trade pokemon corpses.

Malphegor
2021-07-03, 05:23 PM
something I occasionally like to think about is how I’d generate treasure and this only requires two fields:

Material Composition

Item Type.

Just imagine rolling a Riverine Teapot. Worth its magical energies worth in gold, but also what the hell was it even for?

Or Abyssal Blood Iron… Pipes of some sort. Your party is unsure what they’re for until they do a appraise or perform check on it and note that they play really bad and painful to listen to notes, all without magic, or active magic at least, but they were shaped by the torments and hate within the abyss into something malign.