PDA

View Full Version : Into the Keep on the Shadowfell IC

Pages : [1] 2

TurboGhast
2021-07-02, 09:40 PM
OOC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?614798-Keep-on-the-Shadowfell-OOC) - Battle Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1oNcNCsp27uo-xPUoeSCPy3LdAQDCz6_AwMPK4t57OUI/edit?usp=sharing) - Rolls (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?614802-Keep-on-the-Shadowfell-Rolls&p=24583349#post24583349)

After coming together as a team to fend off multiple ambushes, rescue Douven Stahl form the clutches of Agrid, and kill Iroontooth, the three of you set your sights on the Keep on the Shadowfell. What you saw in the first room made it clear the three of you alone couldn't root out the evil within, so you left to seek out new allies.

Your search went well, and those new allies have agreed to meet with you this noon. As expected, the inn's door opens at high noon, revealing the people who will help you take down Kalarel once and for all.

Of the stuff I haven't already specified in the narration, convincing the slinger to change sides in the dig site battle and arresting Ninaran occurred.

Whether because you heard Marla's request call for someone to investigate reports of a cult or heard the call for allies sent by the group of adventurers you're about to meet, you've arrived in Winterhaven. After you meet in Wrafton's Inn, you'll set out for the inhabited yet ruined keep north of town to deal with the dangers those adventurers have already found dangers within it.

As you go through the door, you leave the light of the noon sun for more comfortable air.

The tavern serving as the inn's front room is filled with noises of a lunch rush. Salvana Wrafton, the owner of the place, has her hands full directing the waiters and cooks she employs to serve everyone inside. There's some chatter in the air, but less than you'd expect for the amount of people present.

Fortunately, Sarathi, Drang, and Gagan have an entire table to themselves with plenty of chairs to spare.

Starbuck_II
2021-07-02, 11:12 PM
Zishu walks into inn, remembering the notice for additional adventuring allies.
He finds the three members at a table was sure were hiring him. They seemed to hae additional chairs
Hello, fellows, I am Zishu, a wandering swordsmen. I hear you three are looking for help to loot a keep? If you still need a hand, I am willin' to lend my sword skills at your service.
Zishu says with a bow before sitting down to see their decision. His feet were tired, he needed a good place to relax for a moment.

in case I forget my sheet link: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2472775
Hp 32 Init +5
Defenses: AC 19/Fort 14/ Reflex 15/Will 17

sandmote
2021-07-07, 12:29 AM
A wide goliath enters Wrafton's Inn, and gets himself some meat and a drink before wandering the room. "Hello. I heard a Marla woman, needed help with some roving monsters? I've been looking for a challenge and was wondering if anyone here happens to know about this?" He takes another bite of the meat, which looks almost as oily as his armor.

TurboGhast
2021-07-10, 01:47 AM
Despite the chaos in the room, Salvana took a moment to guide Vuthan.

She pointed to the table Sarathi, Gagan, Drang, and Zishu were seated at she said "You're mixing things up a bit, but it's still clear you're looking for the people over there. Don't be afraid to ask them for more details about what's going on, since they know more about that than anybody else in town. " While returning to work, she muttered "I'd be more afraid of a cult than any monster."

sandmote
2021-07-10, 03:37 PM
"Thank you very much," the goliath wanders over to the others, still eating. "Hello; are you the ones looking for the monsters?"

Archemist
2021-07-18, 02:17 PM
A strange elf (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2473915) slinks into the tavern. He is slight and unimpressive, and his simple drab attire is adorned only with a brooch in the shape of the sun. He leans a curved staff against the wall near the table - it's an older-style longbow, not one of the newer recurves, and it's unstrung for the moment. He has a tattoo on his forearm but it is hard to make out the design, since it seems to be marred by a burn scar.

He takes a seat next to the goliath and, after a somewhat awkward pause, says, "Oh right, saying hello is a thing. I'm Elmo Theren, hopefully Marla told you about me. Excuse my lateness. Guards stopped me at the edge of town. What's the news?"

Edited to link my character sheet at the top.

Dimers
2021-07-18, 08:02 PM
A tall golden-colored dragonborn with a booming voice and a sort of military looking outfit addresses the newer figures in the group. "Welcome, all. This is Drang, this is Sarathi, and I'm Gagan. The situation is this. We've got a nefarious cultist up to no good in an abandoned keep just a few hours' walk from here, and he's somehow acquired a pretty decent array of guards -- even a spy here in town. We need to take down the cultists, and the sooner, the better. We don't have any specifics on what loot to expect but the three of us have made out pretty well so far just from tackling the scouts and outer guards. And even without a king's ransom in riches awaiting, it's a job that needs to be done. Are you all in?"

After a pause to get the newcomers' assent, Gagan adds, "Drang's a cleric and a good healer. Sarathi is good on the front line as a shock trooper, and I'm a pyromancer -- I put extra-hot fire right in the enemies' faces." He scowls suddenly. "Don't think of me as a wizard, though. I haven't got the patience, the mysteriousness or the frailty needed to call myself a wizard."

Rakaydos
2021-07-19, 05:33 AM
The beast-headed creature in chainmail looked at the newcomers, then tilted it's head back to look up at the goliath, with an audiable pop to accompany the unusual motion. "Not often I see someone bigger'n me, goliath. Hope you dont mind one monster fighting another?"

Sarathi's presence was unusual, but if you've been in the region for awhile you may have heard of the gnoll pup some adventurers left at an inn a few years back.

Archemist
2021-07-21, 02:32 AM
Elmo nods at the dragonborn. "An eloquent summary. So Marla didn't mention? Me and my bow are committed to Pelor's cause. Cultists will come back to the light or die."

Dimers
2021-07-21, 07:48 AM
Gagan nods. "If you've a bow committed to a cause, you must be Elmo. Marla did mention you by name. Glad to have you here, and on such short notice from us. The Keep won't wait long, I'm sure of that."

Starbuck_II
2021-07-21, 08:54 AM
A tall golden-colored dragonborn with a booming voice and a sort of military looking outfit addresses the newer figures in the group. "Welcome, all. This is Drang, this is Sarathi, and I'm Gagan. The situation is this. We've got a nefarious cultist up to no good in an abandoned keep just a few hours' walk from here, and he's somehow acquired a pretty decent array of guards -- even a spy here in town. We need to take down the cultists, and the sooner, the better. We don't have any specifics on what loot to expect but the three of us have made out pretty well so far just from tackling the scouts and outer guards. And even without a king's ransom in riches awaiting, it's a job that needs to be done. Are you all in?"

After a pause to get the newcomers' assent, Gagan adds, "Drang's a cleric and a good healer. Sarathi is good on the front line as a shock trooper, and I'm a pyromancer -- I put extra-hot fire right in the enemies' faces." He scowls suddenly. "Don't think of me as a wizard, though. I haven't got the patience, mysteriousness or the frailty needed to call myself a wizard."

"A spy, did you figure who this was? I am good at stopping damage besides dealing out the hurt.
Well, I'm game to take on a cult, when do we leave?"

Zishu smiles thinking at least things won't be boring with this crew.

sandmote
2021-07-21, 01:50 PM
Vuthan turns to Zishu, smiling. "That's most of my skillset as well." back to Gagan, he nods, "If the scouts are gone, they're likely to switch to larger groups. More fun for me, though. Just put me on the front lines and watch them flounder."

Depending on how everyone wants, I feel no need to pad this out. If everyone else wants to though, it'll be entertaining nonetheless.

Dimers
2021-07-22, 09:38 PM
"A spy, did you figure who this was? I am good at stopping damage besides dealing out the hurt."

Gagan turns to the human sword-wielder. "Zishu, you said you name was? Yes, we arrested the spy and turned her over to Lord Padraig." He passes a curious eye over the young man's equipment and stance. "Most people don't have the guts to carry a real blade into battle without wearing armor. You wouldn't happen to be a mage as well, would you? Do you need to stay in the back of the group, or are you willing to go toe-to-toe?"

Vuthan turns to Zishu, smiling. "That's most of my skillset as well." back to Gagan, he nods, "If the scouts are gone, they're likely to switch to larger groups. More fun for me, though. Just put me on the front lines and watch them flounder."

Gagan nods with satisfaction. "Great, sounds like you're volunteering to take point while we walk, then. What's your name, eager recruit? Oh, and Elmo -- you look like you've the knack for going through the trees unnoticed; do you want to be ahead of the group scouting or behind the Wall-O'-Goliath?"

Starbuck_II
2021-07-22, 11:01 PM
Zishu turns to Gagan, "Oh don't worry about me too much, I am pretty good at parrying most attacks, though not as strong versus attacks like poison or body ailments. I am fine in the front, the power of my god Sehanine shall keep me as safe as plate. "
Zishu says, a fine group we got. How bad could these cultist be he wondered.

"I can cast a spell or two, but you likely me have me beat magical might. Most of my magic is sword powered. This here is Elizabeth, she is a mighty friend that has served me well." Zishu points to his blade.

Archemist
2021-07-23, 12:29 AM
Gagan nods with satisfaction. "Great, sounds like you're volunteering to take point while we walk, then. What's your name, eager recruit? Oh, and Elmo -- you look like you've the knack for going through the trees unnoticed; do you want to be ahead of the group scouting or behind the Wall-O'-Goliath?"

"Ahead," the elf answers simply. "I am a woodsman and can scout. But it matters little - don't worry about getting in my way, for my arrows will never find you unless I want them to." The elf steeples his hands.

Elmo perks up at Zishu's mention of Sehanine, raising his eyebrows in surprise and curiosity. He seems about to say something theological, but then he quickly looks a little dismayed on hearing that Zishu has named his blade, and he says nothing. He doesn't seem one for sentiment.

sandmote
2021-07-25, 12:32 PM
"I am Vuthan Kuligone, of a tribe that lives not to far from here," the goliath explains between bites. He doesn't seem to want to explain much more, and doesn't look very happy when mentioning it.

Dimers
2021-07-26, 10:55 PM
"Good enough, then," Gagan says. He makes brief eye contact with Drang and Sarathi, and since neither expresses any hesitation about taking on the three new companions, he says, "Let's be off, if no one has pressing business in town." With a few more sentences as he plunks down a few coins for lunch, puts on his pack and heads for the door, the dragonborn explains the landmarks to the party's new scout, Elmo. "If there's no opposition along the way, we'll meet up again face-to-face before entering the Keep itself."

Rakaydos
2021-07-27, 08:22 AM
Sarathi indicated acknowledgement and rose, ready to head out.

Archemist
2021-07-27, 09:51 AM
Elmo agrees as well and takes point. He is quiet and observes his new companions. Hiding this bunch might be hard - but they are numerous enough that it might not matter. He smiles.

Phantom Genius
2021-07-28, 04:25 AM
"I'm worried about the elf. The last one was crazy."

Drang tries to wink at Sarathi and just looks awkward. He's ready to go, though.

"Did you warn them about the rat trap?"

Rakaydos
2021-07-28, 05:55 AM

Drang tries to wink at Sarathi and just looks awkward. He's ready to go, though.

"Dont judge them all by what one did." The gnoll, scion of Yeenoghu, grinned. "The others could be even worse."

Starbuck_II
2021-07-28, 10:00 AM

"Rat Trap? Sounds like an interesting story."

Zishu wander what he missed before he joined.

Dimers
2021-07-29, 08:28 PM
"I was going to mention when we got there, have it fresh in everyone's mind as we go stumbling through the halls ... Just inside the front door, between four support pillars, was a trap floor. The space underneath was filled with rats -- must've been a couple hundred of the things. The rats didn't do too much harm themselves, but the trap kept us occupied while the goblins got a few more shots off. As it was meant to. We shouldn't have fallen for that." Gagan sounds clinical, detached, as he reports this. Then he chuckles. "Heh, fallen for it."

sandmote
2021-07-30, 01:12 AM
"Ugh, and here I was hoping for honorable combat." Vuthan grumbles as he walks.

TurboGhast
2021-07-30, 03:34 AM
The muffled tone and silent tension seen within the inn is also present throughout Winterhaven and the surrounding farmland. Nervousness with no obvious origin has blanketed the town.

Your trip to the keep is uneventful, which is fortunate given the circumstances. While the road generally leading north of Winterhaven is fairly well maintained, the disuse of the road specifically leading to the keep can be seen from the junction connecting it to the main path. The track leading in, despite being narrow and overgrown, is still usable, at least.

At the end of the track you find a clearing filled with shattered stones and scorched timbers. The dirt is bare, as if nature itself was scared to intrude into Shadowfell Keep. Yet there are still signs of humanoid tampering. There's path leading to the center of the rubble, where a pile of debris and a stone staircase can be seen. Darkness covers the path downwards.

Archemist
2021-07-30, 11:27 AM
At the end of the track you find a clearing filled with shattered stones and scorched timbers. The dirt is bare, as if nature itself was scared to intrude into Shadowfell Keep. Yet there are still signs of humanoid tampering. There's path leading to the center of the rubble, where a pile of debris and a stone staircase can be seen. Darkness covers the path downwards.

Elmo takes a slow and steady approach towards the staircase. His low-light vision is only so helpful in these cases, but he takes his time to listen and mentally map the area as well. And looking around, it doesn’t require that much of a stretch to put himself back in the mindset of a cultist with few scruples and orders to keep goody-goodies away. A rat trap was not a bad idea - no one could prove who set it up, if the bodies were even found at all.

He strings his bow and motions the others forward silently with a wave. Elmo walks slightly off to the left of the path, through more difficult gravel, not along the smooth part. When he gets to the top of the stairs he pauses briefly but then heads down, treading quietly.

Rakaydos
2021-07-30, 07:57 PM
Sarathi follows at a moderate distance, attempting to minimize the rustle of her chain, but remaining close enough to intervene if something befell the scout.

sandmote
2021-07-31, 03:38 PM
Vuthan stops to observe the odd foliage line before following along with Sarathi. He walks carefully, given his armor doesn't help with stealth either.

Starbuck_II
2021-08-01, 11:33 PM
Cass keeps on hand on his weapon while it is sheathed in case he needs it. He keeps close to the front beside Sarathi, while he lacked noisy equipment, he never really got how to deaden the noise of his footsteps. He hoped he was ready for the dangers ahead.

TurboGhast
2021-08-02, 09:21 PM
The staircase downwards is unwelcoming despite how finely crafted it is. Every step down is followed by a chilling breeze. Torchlight can be seen and a voice can be heard from the bottom of the stairs, making it clear the keep isn't abandoned.

"We should be watching to see if Splug's up to something, not wasting our time trying to greet the nonexistent people coming in. I bet those adventurers ch-"

He glances at you when you reach the bottom of the stairs, then readies the visibly hot poker in his hands like a spear and continues, "Nevermind, then. INTRUDER ALERT!"

You can smell some unwashed bodies.

A battle has begun! Link (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25147402&postcount=32) to the initiative rolls.

Elmo, Zishu, Vuthan, and Gagan will place their token in the transparent green square on the battle map then take their turn, while Sarathi and Drang will simply place their character token in that area. Once everyone's done, the enemies will take their turn.

The pillars in the north room provide cover. The barrels and boxes in the southeast room are difficult terrain. The beds in the southwest room are low enough not to significantly affect combat.

The squiggly line in the hallway above that room is a thick curtain. It blocks lines of sight and affect and takes two squares of movement for a medium creature to move through. By taking a move action while it's in your reach, you can attempt to tear it down by making a DC 15 Strength check. Succeeding on the check will pull it down.

A number of things are shown publicly for ease of adjudication. First, enemy defenses are displayed publicly so that you know whether your attacks hit. Hit points and status are public for similar reasons. When taking your turn, update the hit points, status conditions, and position of anybody (ally or enemy) affected by the outcome of your actions.

What actions the enemy will counter with a reaction will also be listed. Most of them will specify what the reaction is inside and expect you to resolve it, but particularly complicated ones might require my intervention (mostly because they modify the battle map).

they shift one space away from the person who performed the attack.

they fall into the pit trap set there. This modifies the battle map, so I'll have to adjudicate the details myself.

Archemist
2021-08-03, 12:25 AM
Elmo quickly ducks behind the closest pillar on the left and takes aim. He motions to the others to also take cover.

Elmo fires a quick shot off at the humanoid with the poker, keeping the pillar between himself and the goblin with the javelins. He summons up the ancestral spirits' energy that resides in his bow and hopes it keeps that hot poker far away. He's had enough of burns and sadistic cultists for sure.

It's a Wis vs. AC attack on target "T": [roll0] and on a hit the target takes [roll1] damage from the arrow and is Slowed and can't Shift until the end of his next turn. Edited to add: well that's a Crit! Off to a good start. That's 15 damage since the die is maximized, I believe.

And that DC15 Perception check: [roll2] As a side-note, remember that elves grant Group Awareness to nearby allies within 5 squares as a +1 to Perception checks.

Elmo's arrow finds a gap in the big guy's armor, right in the elbow of his left arm.

Starbuck_II
2021-08-03, 10:15 AM
Zishu stats in square at bottom of stairs then draws his sword as a free action due to Fast Hands, he looks at spear holding goblin, "Time to show you some fun", he slashes into the air, sending forth a blast of sword beam [Radiant Vengeance] before behind pillar to east.

Hurting his foe makes Zishu more durable. Next turn he can go into melee maybe.

DC 15 Perception [roll0] including the +1 from elven awareness.

Radiant Vengeance vs Reflex [roll1], damage [roll2] and I gain temp hp 4

The sword blasts reaches through the air into the chest of the goblin wounding him slightly.

Phantom Genius
2021-08-04, 06:05 AM
I moved the Drang icon to the stairs and he disappeared. Maybe it will look right when I reboot...

Starbuck_II
2021-08-04, 08:59 AM
I moved the Drang icon to the stairs and he disappeared. Maybe it will look right when I reboot...

When that happens to me, I push edit/Undo last action, but I fear it saved it since you took too long to undo it.
Will need the DM to add it again I think.

sandmote
2021-08-04, 01:08 PM
"Trap in the middle, Gagan, you said?" He starts going partway around, then hurls a Javalin at the goblin on the other side of the room.

[roll0] to hit and [roll1] damage. This is targeting 'W,' in case that wasn't clear.

Happened to me as well. If this happens again, try right clicking the images and use the "order" options to move them forward and back so your icon is in front. Or select an image and hold control, then use the up and down arrow keys to get the same result.

Dimers
2021-08-04, 08:59 PM
Gagan nods to Vuthan as the goliath starts stepping around the problem area. "About here," he says, scraping the foot of his staff along the floor as he moves forward. Then the dragonborn swings the 'business end' of the staff around at the taller creature and shouts with bone-rattling volume, "You!" A white-hot bolt launches out of the staff toward the slow-moving humanoid.

Move action to walk as indicated. Minor action to tag T as my bravo's prey. Standard action will be an elemental bolt at T: [roll0] to hit Reflex of 14 for [roll1] plus [roll2]. (On crit, max all that and add [roll3].) If that's a hit but not a kill, tack on hellfire heart for 5 damage, also imposing -2 to attack rolls that include me EOMNT.

TurboGhast
2021-08-06, 08:06 PM
The tall, orange one trudges forwards despite the beating you've given him and the spirits at his heels, declaring that "I won't die without leaving a scorch mark!" His armor begins to soak up the blood from his wounds once he finishes speaking, thickening in the process. However, the wounds themselves remain open.

Seeing this, the goblin on the other side of the room from you falls back. Just before he ducks into the other room, he takes a potshot at Sarathi which goes wide. Two other goblins wielding crossbows enter sight of the hallway, attempting to follow up with crossbow shots, but she deftly blocks them.

Hearing the commotion, a third crossbow wielding goblin sneaks under the curtain in the eastern hallway. Quickly recognizing the hostilities going on, he sneaks a crossbow bolt past the hallway's corner and into Gagan.

T's turn
Minor: Invoke the power of his armor to gain resist all 10 until the end of his next turn.
Move: Walk one space northeast and one space east.
Standard: Ready an action.
he'll attack that enemy with his hot poker.

Attack Roll: [roll0] ± any relevant modifiers vs. AC.
Hit: [roll1] fire damage, plus 2 ongoing fire damage (Save ends; Skill cure: Heal DC 13 minor action)

W's turn
Minor: Pull a javelin from his back.
Move: Walk five spaces south.
Standard: Make a mobile ranged attack.
First, throw a javelin at Sarathi

Attack Roll: [roll2] (base) vs. AC. Miss.
Hit: [roll3] damage
Second, walk two spaces east.

S1's turn
Minor: Ready his crossbow.
Move: Walk four spaces east.
Standard: Shoot Sarathi using a crossbow.

Attack Roll: [roll4] (base) vs. AC. Miss.
Hit: [roll5] damage

S2's turn
Move: Walk two spaces northeast, then one space east.
Standard: Shoot Sarathi using a crossbow.

Attack Roll: [roll6] (base) vs. AC. Miss.
Hit: [roll7] damage

S3's turn
Move: Walk six spaces north, passing under the curtain.
Standard: Shoot Gagan using a crossbow.

Attack Roll: [roll8] (+9 base -2 cover) vs. AC. Hit.
Hit: [roll9] damage

Everyone will take their turns in the order of your choice, then the remaining enemies will take their turns. Enemy readied actions are resolved like any other enemy reaction, where I preroll any necessary rolls and leave resolution of the effect to the player who provokes it.

they fall into the pit trap set there. This modifies the battle map, so I'll have to adjudicate the details myself.

Dimers
2021-08-06, 09:03 PM
"You're go-- GAHH!" Gagan shouts as the bolt pierces him. As he moves back to get the sneaky attacker into clear view, he continues his taunt: "You're going to be a scorch mark!" The dragonborn fires off fiery bolts at both targets in quick succession, one-two.

I'm moving a bit down the hall so the goblin doesn't get cover from me, then using elemental escalation to shoot twice.
elemental bolt vs T: [roll0] to hit Reflex 14, dealing (after accounting for armor) [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3]
elemental bolt vs S3: [roll4] to hit Reflex 16, dealing [roll5] + [roll6] + [roll7]

If one of 'em crits, [roll8] added damage.

sandmote
2021-08-06, 10:36 PM
Vuthan hurries down the hall, careful to avoid giving the goblins an easy target. "Afraid of attacking the well armored?" Vuthan seems steeled for an attack against him.

Taking a double move (don't think I have the movement to run+charge) and using Stone's Endurance. Vuthan has resist 5 all until the end of his next turn.

Phantom Genius
2021-08-07, 02:46 AM
"I have your back, Vuthan! Don't forget the pit trap, Sarathi..." Drang points to it and takes the circuitous (A word he doesn't know) route around it. "Come on!"

Double move and peeking around corner.

Rakaydos
2021-08-07, 05:06 AM
"Pit trap? Those are easy, just need to hop the corners..." Sarathi blithly strides foward, reaching out for the pillar for support as she steps over where she thinks the pit is...

(fails a DC:5 athletics check)

Archemist
2021-08-07, 03:45 PM
"Pit trap? Those are easy, just need to hop the corners..." Sarathi blithly strides foward, reaching out for the pillar for support as she steps over where she thinks the pit is...

"Is this how it happened the first time?" Elmo asks. He fires off a quick shot at the goblin down the hall and then dives forward to lie at the edge of the pit, peering down and offering to help Sarathi back up, reaching with his bow if needed.

[roll0] vs AC for S1. [roll1] piercing damage on a hit, and S1 will be slowed, can't shift. And Elmo is prone now, fwiw.

Starbuck_II
2021-08-08, 12:40 PM
Zishu rushes forth to (2 down 2 to the left two down beside the pillar toward the enemy), "try this on for size" Zishu waves his hand and blast magic energy at S1 [Shared Madness].

[roll0] vs Will AC
[roll1] Psychic damage.

If I hit, S2 also takes the damage

TurboGhast
2021-08-10, 05:11 AM

(fails a DC:5 athletics check)

Sarathi's foot lands just a little short, and the sudden downward lurch of leading foot throws her off balance enough to make the rest of her body follow. Stone-colored canvas gives way to reveal a small pit now filled with sharp spikes. The wide-ranging painful impact of landing is quickly followed by pinpoint injury from the spikes, but she's felt worse before.

Sarathi takes [roll0] falling damage, then [roll1] damage from the spikes for a total of 4 damage.

The pit hidden by the trap is 10 feet (2 spaces) deep, meaning that if you fall in you take 1d10 falling damage and fall prone unless that damage is prevented.

A DC 15 Athletics check is required to climb out of the pit.

The spaces within the pit have been filled with sharpened spikes. Those who enter those spaces (including falling into them), move from one spike filled space to another, or fail to the athletics check to climb out of the pit take 1d8 damage. This damage can only be taken once per turn.

It's possible to grab someone in the pit to pull them out, but only barely. The distance is far enough that they'll have to stretch their arm out as an action to make it possible to grab (standard action) and subsequently drag (move action) them.

Sarathi will take his remaining standard action and minor action, and then the remaining goblins will take their turns.

Rakaydos
2021-08-10, 05:20 AM
As a minor, Sarathi tosses her shield up, then attempts the athletics check without the ACP.
[roll0]

TurboGhast
2021-08-11, 01:30 AM
The goblin closest to the east door kicks it open while talking to his allies and preparing his spear to meet a charge. He seems unfazed about being outnumbered.

"Go warn Balgron about these intruders! I'll make sure the Goliath can't follow you."
One of the crossbow wielders takes off at run through the door, leaving Vultan's sight only to end up in just short of the door in Gagan's sight. He's clearly surprised to see someone in that hallway.

The other crossbow wielder unleashes a yell followed by a shot at Vuthan that hits so hard as to make it seem like his armor is nonexistent. Sheer endurance lets him shrug it off like it was just an ordinary hit even though it drew a little blood.

W's Turn:
Minor: Open door.
Move: Wield spear.
he'll stab at them with a spear.

Attack Roll: [roll0] ± any relevant modifiers vs. AC. Critical hit!
Hit: [roll1] 8 damage.

S2's turn
Move: Run two spaces northeast, four spaces east, then a space northeast.
Standard: Run two spaces northeast, five spaces north, then a space northeast.

S1's turn
Standard: Shoot at Vuthan with a crossbow.

Attack Roll: [roll2] (base) vs. AC. Critical hit!
Hit: [roll3] 12 damage (reduced to 7 by the resist 5).
Move: Walk two spaces west.

Everyone will take their turn, then any remaining enemies will take their turn. As a reminder, you're expected to update your own statuses on the battle map as well as your enemies' status upon both the start and end of an effect. The text box where player statuses are show is at the top of the drawing, just to the right of the map image.

Rakaydos
2021-08-11, 03:39 PM
Sarathi can easilly reach the edge of the pit, the problem is doing a pullup in full armor.
[roll0]

"A little help here?"

Archemist
2021-08-11, 04:46 PM
Sarathi can easilly reach the edge of the pit, the problem is doing a pullup in full armor.

"A little help here?"

The elf and his bow reach down to give her a pull.

Sure, I'll just pull her up (or try to) with my Move and Standard. Athletics as needed: [roll0]

Well, not a lot of glory to be had here. I'll take it, though, since I did max damage both the other turns so far. :smalltongue: And you guys have the goblins on the run just fine.

Rakaydos
2021-08-11, 06:59 PM
The elf and his bow reach down to give her a pull.

Sure, I'll just pull her up (or try to) with my Move and Standard. Athletics as needed: [roll0]

Well, not a lot of glory to be had here. I'll take it, though, since I did max damage both the other turns so far. :smalltongue: And you guys have the goblins on the run just fine.

(actually, if I 'm reading it right, you just passed the Grapple Combat tuturial, and I'm out of the hole, no athletics check needed. Just grab, and drag.)

Archemist
2021-08-11, 07:22 PM
(actually, if I 'm reading it right, you just passed the Grapple Combat tuturial, and I'm out of the hole, no athletics check needed. Just grab, and drag.)

Sounds good - yeah, I'd noticed after-the-fact that no roll was theoretically required, but eh, I just let it stay there. You're out... but maybe not super gracefully. :smallbiggrin:

With a stoic grunt, Elmo helps heft Sarathi up out of the pit.

Starbuck_II
2021-08-12, 04:33 PM
Zishu moves beside W and swings his sword at him, "You'll not get away." first turning his weapon to ice then 2 handed his sword for extra 1 damage. [Bond of Retribution]

Free action turn all weapon to Cold damage.
uses Oath of enmity as minor to gain melee roll attack twice, choosing better of two.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2], all cold damage.

Deals 5 radiant damage if an enemy other than the target hits or misses the me before the end of the user's next turn.

Oath of emnity lasts until the end of the encounter or until the target drops to 0 hit points, at which point I regain the use of this power.

Dimers
2021-08-13, 01:03 PM
Gagan blasts a ray of fire at the surprised goblin, and though the damage is severe, it's not a killing blow. He rushes toward the same door the goblin seems to be reaching for, trying to keep it closed or blocked at all cost.

I'm going to rush around the goblin to block the door with my body (if the hinges are on this side) or grab the handle (if it swings away). Doing so provokes an OA from the goblin -- I don't have any way to avoid that.

If I need an Athletics check to hold the door shut: [roll0]

sandmote
2021-08-13, 01:09 PM
"You'll pay for that," Vuthan winched slightly at the blow, to his own annoyance. He brings down his weapon against the goblin, his girth drawing its attention.

Weight of Earth: [roll0]. On a hit deals [roll1] and goblin is slowed until the end of his next turn.
Also using Nature's Wrath to mark, however we're fluffing that.

Not sure how we're doing this, but:

Opportunity attack if the goblin walks away or makes a ranged attack: [roll2] for [roll3]
Warden's Fury: [roll4] for [roll5] & target grants advantage until end of next turn.

TurboGhast
2021-08-15, 02:59 AM
As Gagan moves to get in the goblin's way, he sees the opening he can't take full advantage of it because his crossbow isn't loaded. In an act of desperation, he tries to whack Gagan with it, but doesn't get anywhere close to hitting.

Using a crossbow as an improvised melee weapon.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (+3 base) vs AC. Miss.
Damage: [roll1] damage

Going to start explicitly tracking what enemies have in their hands on the battle map so I don't lose track in the future.

Phantom Genius
2021-08-18, 04:29 AM
Drang strides aggressively down the hall, having two bigger targets ahead of him.

"You!" He points at S1. "Burn in Clangeddin's Sacred Flame!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

"Hold still, blast you!" as the flame goes poof on the floor.

TurboGhast
2021-08-19, 12:20 AM
The goblin Vuthan's engaged with recognizes his inability to escape and changes weapons accordingly, stowing his crossbow and pulling a shortsword in its place. With it, he manages to leave a cut on Vuthan, although not a large one.

The goblin next to Zishu replies to him closes the door behind him as he replies, "I might not, but someone else will!" His remark is followed by a spear stab fast enough to land.

However, Gagan's efforts have made the warrior's words less true than he hopes. The goblin in the eastern corridor has to back off a bit to get enough space to safely fire at him. Even though the shot connects, it's not strong enough to make Gagan stop obstructing the goblin's path forward.

S2's turn
Move: Shift a space west.
Minor: Load crossbow.
Standard: Fire a crossbow at Gagan.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (base) vs AC. Hit.
Damage: [roll1] damage.

W's turn
Minor: Close the door.
Standard: Stab at Zishu with a spear.

Attack Roll: [roll2] (base) vs AC. Hit.
Damage: [roll3] damage.

S2's turn
Minor: Stow crossbow.
Move: Draw shortsword.
Standard: Slash at Vuthan with a shortsword.

Attack Roll: [roll4] (base) vs AC. Hit.
Damage: [roll5] damage.

I missed that crossbows take a minor action to load this entire combat the goblin's statblock didn't bring that up. Better that I noticed this early, at least.

Everybody will take a turn. If there are any enemies remaining once you're all done they will get another turn.

Dimers
2021-08-19, 01:39 AM
In serious pain from the second crossbow bolt, Gagan looses a roar loud enough that it may not matter whether the goblin manages to scamper away -- other creatures in the Keep will probably be aware of the intrusion now! He follows the battle-roar with a sheet of flame at the goblin's feet and another surrounding his own body.

First a minor-action dragonfear, which will only target S2. [roll0] to hit Will 13. A hit imposes CA and -2 to attack rolls EOMNT.

Then ignition centered on S2, [roll1] (+2 if CA) to hit Fortitude 14 for [roll2] damage. If it's a miss, the zone will still kill the goblin unless it leaves on its turn, as it deals 4 damage to creatures entering or ending their turn in the zone.

And on the very slim chance the goblin decides to move to melee, I'll apply shield of flames with another minor action. Gagan gets concealment against adjacent creatures, and those that try melee attacks or end adjacent to him take 4 damage.

The cringing goblin quickly expires in the layer of dancing flame.

sandmote
2021-08-19, 09:19 PM
"Humph, barely an annoyance so far," Vuthan chortles through the pain. Not convincingly, but he's putting some effort into sounding such.

Weight of Earth: [roll0]. On a hit deals [roll1] and goblin is slowed until the end of his next turn.

[roll2]. On a hit deals [roll3] [roll4]. On a hit deals [roll5] and slows.

If it kills he'll move up to W. Either way, he's marking again.
It's not quite Vuthan's girth that draws the goblin. Its almost like some sort of force hedges out the creature's ability to focus elsewhere, like Vuthan is a growing mountain in its immediate vicinity. Still, it finds him pressing in on its awareness, hemming it it, even above and beyond the other intruders to the keep.

Archemist
2021-08-19, 09:32 PM
Elmo hops to his feet, after checking that Sarathi will be fine. He rolls his shoulders to relax them again and then draws an arrow, looking for targets. He spots a melee going in the next room but he knows arrows travel faster than he does. Elmo uses his elf senses to guide the arrow straight towards the goblin there.

At this range he's just seeing who's in LOS and it's S1's misfortune to be just a little bit visible. [roll0] Wis vs AC on S1 for [roll1].

If it's a miss he'll use his Elven accuracy (must keep this reroll): [roll2]

The goblin falls, clutching an arrow that has sprouted from his chest. Elmo cracks a tight smile. Is that a smile? A hint of one, maybe.

Rakaydos
2021-08-20, 08:01 AM
Sarathi retrieves her shield and rolls to her feet, jogging around the pillars toward the remaining combat.

[inventory management, move (stand up), Move (run). Granting Combat advantage]

Starbuck_II
2021-08-20, 11:02 PM
Zishu tries to dodge the spear attack but it lightly slices into his side.
"Counterattack time!" (Bond of Retribution again)

4 Temp -7 means I took 3 actual damage this encounter.
Since they are still Oathed, I melee roll attack twice, choosing better of two.
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

Deals 5 radiant damage if an enemy other than the target hits or misses the me before the end of the user's next turn.

TurboGhast
2021-08-21, 04:49 AM
Zishu's strike takes down the last goblin visibly aware of your presence. A tense minute or so later, it becomes clear that despite all the noise you made nobody's entering the room to continue this fight.

With all the enemies brought to 0 hit points, you've won the combat. All of you gain 104 experience points (625 divided evenly between 6 people, rounded down).

Whether the finishing blows were lethal or not is up to you, which is why the rest of this post says that the goblins were defeated without saying whether that means killed or knocked unconscious.

There are circumstances where I'll call fights as your victory even though there are conscious enemies, the first ones that come to mind being those enemies choosing to surrender or successfully retreating. This will give the same amount of experience as winning by bringing every enemy to 0 hp.
Without the pressure of combat, you're free to strategize about what to do next, which could include taking a short rest, searching the defeated goblins for items, choosing which room to go to next, and taking actions within this room that help you learn about adjacent ones, among many other things.

Phantom Genius
2021-08-22, 01:40 AM
Search the goblins, toss them in the pit, heal Gagan?

sandmote
2021-08-23, 06:28 PM
"Not the worst fight I've seen," Vuthan seems a bit expectant after taking a breather. "Anyone sense anything behind the door?"

Perception and Dungeoneering have the same bonus, but I'd prefer dungeoneering if it applies:
[roll0]

TurboGhast
2021-08-24, 01:57 AM
You're able to do some post-fight healing, search your enemies' bodies, and take a short rest without interference.

The goblins had 50 sp (8 sp per person, 2 sp remainder) between them, while the hobgoblin has a minor motherload. In terms of money, he had 55 gp (9 gp per person, 1 gp remainder), but, more importantly, his hide armor has magic woven in.

+1 Bloodcut Hide Armor
Provides a +1 enchantment bonus to AC.
Power (Healing Surge): Minor action. While you are bloodied, the armor can be used to gain resist 10 to all damage until the end of your next turn.

Bear in mind that since the hobgoblin used the armor's power while fighting you, if you put the armor on now you'll have to wait until after an extended rest in order to use that power yourself.

"Not the worst fight I've seen," Vuthan seems a bit expectant after taking a breather. "Anyone sense anything behind the door?"

Perception and Dungeoneering have the same bonus, but I'd prefer dungeoneering if it applies:
[roll0]

(I'm taking it as a perception roll since the door's rather ordinary, while hearing through it has interesting consequences.)

Nothing about the door leading out of the area to the east seems particularly unusual to you. It may have seen better days, but it's still functional, appears not to be trapped, and isn't in a particularly good location for a trapped door anyway.

Through the door, Vuthan hears what seems to be an argument. Words are getting thrown around at high velocity with an enraged tone, but none of them are words you recognize from Common or Giant.

Phantom Genius
2021-08-26, 12:19 AM
Drang stops to listen at the conversation and nods his head as if he understands. {He doesn't.}

Rakaydos
2021-08-26, 05:53 AM
Sarathi shaked the hobgoblin out of his armor, and starts trying to figure out how stretchy it is and whether she could incorporate it into her armor somehow.

sandmote
2021-08-26, 09:36 PM
Vuthan puts his finger to his lips, and motions to the party to keep quiet.

TurboGhast
2021-08-27, 04:55 AM
Sarathi shaked the hobgoblin out of his armor, and starts trying to figure out how stretchy it is and whether she could incorporate it into her armor somehow.

Since the orange-skinned goblin was closer to Sarathi's height than any of his goblin allies, it only takes a little finagling to make his armor wearable.

(OOC: The orange one was medium, instead of small like the rest.)

Dimers
2021-08-27, 06:10 PM
Gagan uses his staff to steady himself as he gets up from the floor -- quietly! -- and he goes to the door where Vuthan is standing. He puts his ear-frill softly against the wood.

Gagan knows Common, Draconic and Deep Speech.

TurboGhast
2021-08-30, 11:00 PM
Gagan's also unable to recognize the language.

The voices appear to be arguing about whether the room they're in contains any treasure. One's complaining that they've dug for weeks but found nothing, another says they have found a shiny trinket, and a third discounts said trinket as worthless.

Archemist
2021-08-30, 11:06 PM
Elmo also listens for a moment but doesn't recognize the language of the arguers, other than that it seems to be an argument. He motions to the others to be ready to barge in, placing one hand on the doorknob and giving a little countdown with his other hand, lowering fingers from 5..4..3..2..

If this is ok with the rest of the group, of course - Elmo's got decent saves and is happy staying back as the rest of you go through the door in any order you choose. :smallbiggrin:

Rakaydos
2021-08-31, 07:39 AM
By this point the gnoll had put on the oddly stretchy hide armor.

(pretty sure that with +1 magic, there's no change to my AC)

Phantom Genius
2021-09-02, 11:28 PM
Ready to barge. Do we want to just open with the blast of fire?

TurboGhast
2021-09-03, 05:13 AM
Elmo, and anybody else who follows him, opens the door to reveal downward staircase and following hallway. To the right, a gash in the wall reveals some bare rock. The room at the hallway's end looks like a complete disaster. Ahead, the floor drops out 10 feet into excavation. What's left of the original floor juts upwards in a series of scattered plateaus, connected via narrow wooden planks. The voices of argument get clearer, and are joined by the sound of metal against rock.

(OOC: I've updated the battle map for the new room. Note that we're not in combat yet, even though I've made enemy defenses and HP visible.)

sandmote
2021-09-04, 08:29 PM
Vuthan shuffles as quietly as he can and takes a peek down the additional stairwell.

[roll]1d20-2/roll] if I need stealth. Edit: see OOC thread for a reroll.
[roll0] for perception to see what's further down.

TurboGhast
2021-09-06, 05:34 AM
Through the hole in the wall, the constructed stairs and flagstones of the dungeon quickly give way to a wide, natural cavern. Dozens of stalactites drip from the ceiling, while stalagmites and loose rocks make the floor uneven. Thicker scattered rocks block your view eastward and westward, and you can see large rats darting in and out of cover. Chittering noises imply more rats are present than you can see.

The goblins appear too preoccupied with their argument to get anywhere close to noticing Vuthan's presence.

Rakaydos
2021-09-09, 07:27 AM
Sarathi brought up the rear, watching the hole carefully for any potential attackers.

sandmote
2021-09-09, 10:58 AM
Vuthan gives the okay sign for the party, motioning there doesn't appear to be an immediate threat down the stairs. At the very least, he doubts the rats will join in fighting up here.

He then motions "one" to the room with the pits and sounds of goblin, and "two" downstairs (whoever has been arguing would likely investigate the noise of fighting) and then shrugs, hoping the others realize he's trying to suggest an order of attack.

Dimers
2021-09-15, 07:51 PM
Gagan comes further down the stairs into the rough chamber and whispers to Vuthan, "Attack now?"

Stealth check for the movement, as low as it can get without rolled stats: [roll0]

Archemist
2021-09-15, 07:59 PM
Elmo replies, "I can try to slow down the reptile in the corner while you deal with any others. Let's do this."

Phantom Genius
2021-09-16, 02:59 AM
Drang nods encouragingly.

TurboGhast
2021-09-17, 10:26 PM
The goblins are distracted enough that any last second preparations for attack work without a hitch. Your entry into the room completely blindsides the goblins, but the guard reptiles aren't as lax.

A battle has begun with your successful ambush! Link (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25200377&postcount=35) to the initiative rolls.

Thus, things kick off with a surprise round. Everyone will start at a location of their choice to the south and west of the green dashed line. The people who beat the enemy initiative roll (everybody but Drang) will take just a standard action (or replace it with a move or minor action) and as many free actions as they like, then D1 and D2 will do the same. After that, Drang's surprise round action followed by everybody else's normal turns will occur. The usual alternation between enemy and player phases will follow that.

Excavated Area: The excavated area is 10 feet below the level of the original floor. Anyone who falls off a plank or off the edge of a raised area into the excavation takes 1d10 damage and becomes prone. The walls are bare earth, and scaling them in either direction requires a DC 15 Athletics check. However, on any such attempt to ascend or descend a wall, there is a 50% chance (a roll of 1–10 on 1d20) that the earth crumbles and sends the character sliding down to the floor. A character who falls in this fashion becomes prone in the square where they began their movement but takes no damage.

Impassable Terrain: The pile of dirt in the northwest corner of the room is completely impassible and tall enough to reach the ceiling, so treat it as a wall.

Planks: Any Medium creature attempting to move along a plank must make a successful DC 20 Acrobatics check or fall into the pit.

The planks are not secured to the raised areas that they connect. As a minor action, a character adjacent to the end of an unoccupied plank can push it down into the excavation (This will require some image manipulation to resolve). If someone is standing on a plank, pushing it requires a DC 15 Strength check if the creature is Small or a DC 20 Strength check if the creature is Medium.

In addition, you can try to rock a plank to knock a creature into the excavation. This requires a standard action and a Strength check against the creature’s Reflex defense. On a success, the creature falls into the excavation.

Ladders: Anyone climbing up or down a ladder moves at half speed, using 4 squares of movement to travel 10 feet. As a standard action, you can topple a ladder so that it falls into the excavation. A fallen ladder can be picked up and repositioned by taking a standard action and succeeding on a DC 10 Strength check. (I'll make better images for them later, when making separate images for the planks.)

Ramp: The square along the south wall of this chamber that is adjacent to the raised area has been only partially dug up, so that it serves as a ramp between the original floor and the excavation. It's shallow enough to be considered normal terrain.

it snaps in half, sending the broken pieces and the character into the excavated area. This will take some image editing to resolve.

Archemist
2021-09-18, 12:39 AM
Elmo comes around the corner and sees the goblins have crossbows. He does a little quick threat re-assessment and says to the others, "New plan - you get between me and the lizards and I'll try to keep the goblins off the high ground."

He nocks an arrow and fires at the furthest goblin, adding, "Maybe that's their leader."

[roll0] vs. G1's AC, for [roll1] damage. And the goblin is slowed, can't shift until next turn, etc.

The arrow flies true and smacks right into the goblin's leg, and tendrils of wispy spirit magic reach towards the ground from the wound as if to drag the goblin down. Elmo's longbow emits a faint greenish glow.

Dimers
2021-09-18, 01:13 AM
Gagan moves in, squints at Elmo's target across the large room, and joins in the assault. The goblin makes a loud croak and falls.

With CA, my elemental bolt is [roll0] vs Reflex 16, damage [roll1] + [roll2]. Tack on hellfire heart (which is not an action) if necessary to make a kill.

TurboGhast
2021-09-21, 04:18 AM
(OOC: You two appear to be forgetting about the surprise round limited action rule. Specifically, those who act in a surprise round only get one standard action, without the move and minor actions a normal turn would have. Thinking about it further, I'm going to resolve the inconsistency by changing the legal starting locations, because my original choice seems somewhat illogically restrictive now, but be sure to keep this in mind next time we have a surprise round.)

sandmote
2021-09-24, 01:22 PM
Vuthan hurls a javelin at the nearest Goblin, which seems to just be within a comfortable range.

[roll0] for [roll1] on a hit.

Starbuck_II
2021-09-25, 11:21 AM
Zishu acts quickly moving near corner, not fast enough to attack yet, getting ready. (since surprise only grants one action, I just move up)

Rakaydos
2021-09-25, 03:33 PM
Sarathi will also just move up. (run 8 spaces, grant CA)

TurboGhast
2021-09-27, 04:26 PM
I can't tell if Drang has placed his token or not. To keep the game moving, I'll resolve the enemy phase now and give him the option to start his turn from any location within the dotted line.

The guard drakes begin moving to fight you, while the goblins find themselves too confused to act.

G2, G3
Cannot act because they're surprised.

D1's Turn
Standard: Walk one space east, then five spaces south.

D2's Turn
Standard: Walk one space south, another space southwest, then four spaces west.

Drang will move his token somewhere both east and south of the dotted line and take his surprise round action, then everybody else will take their turn. After than, the enemies will take their turns.

it snaps in half, sending the broken pieces and the character into the excavated area. This will take some image editing to resolve.

they shift one space away from you.

Phantom Genius
2021-09-28, 04:07 AM
Drang just moved.

TurboGhast
2021-10-02, 04:47 AM
The remaining goblins manage to rouse themselves to defensive readiness, but nothing more.

Drang just moved.

That concludes the surprise round, so now everybody else will begin taking normal turns. This starts with the party. Specifically, everybody but Drang will take a normal turn, then the enemies will take their turns. After that, the usual alternation between every player and every enemy taking their turns will begin and continue until combat concludes.

Dimers
2021-10-02, 10:18 AM
Gagan roars out a battlecry as he launches another burning attack, hard eyes focused on the gray-clad goblin. Flames jump from the floor under both goblins.

Minor action: tag G2 as my prey for +2 to attack and damage rolls.

Minor action: dragonfear against G2 and both drakes.
[roll0] vs G2's Will 13
[roll1] vs D1's Will 12
[roll2] vs D2's Will 12
A hit means the target grants everybody CA and takes -2 to attack rolls until the end of my second full turn.

Standard action: ignition centered northwest of G2, plus elemental escalation to include G3.
[roll3] (probably +2 for CA) vs G2's Fortitude 14
[roll4] vs G3's Fortitude 14
Deals [roll5] damage, +2 vs G2, and creates a fiery zone in the original 3x3 burst that deals 4 damage to any creature entering it or ending their turn in it.

Not a separate action: elemental escalation also lets me shift 3 squares back out of the thick of things.

Archemist
2021-10-02, 01:30 PM
Elmo runs lightly out over the planks to the first little "island." He kneels down and focuses his energy, shouting "The light has come for you!" A light burst out from him and a glimpse of Pelor's radiance shines briefly in the underground.

Whispers of Defeat encounter power, close burst 5. Wis vs. Will for G2 and the drakes:
[roll0] vs G2 13
[roll1] vs D1 12
[roll2] vs D2 12
Success means they'll take -2 on attacks and 10 Psychic damage if they miss an attack.

sandmote
2021-10-02, 04:27 PM
Vuthan runs down the nearby ramp as a place the reptiles seem to be heading, and hopes they'll fail to climb out the walls.

The elevation allows him to bear down on the creature next to him.
Weight of Earth: [roll0] for [roll1] and D1 is slowed. He's also going to mark it using Nature's Wrath

"My one complaint is these beasts can't tell me how much I'm hurting them."

[roll2] for [roll3] if D1 leaves that space or D2 tries to go past. [roll4] for [roll5] and D1 grants opportunity until the end of Vuthan's next turn.

Rakaydos
2021-10-09, 09:25 AM
Sarathi squeezes past two companions, and charges her way to the edge of the platform, stabbing down at Drake 1.

Move, Battle fury stance (+2 damage, -2 AC until I spend a healing surge), Charge
Ferocious charge (+2 damage on a charge), Crushing Surge as a MBA on a charge
Vs Drake 1: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage and 8 temp HP, and mark.
- On miss, 4 temp HP and mark.
-On hit: Iron Wolf charge: [roll2] damage to the primary target, no other targets close enough to affect.

Starbuck_II
2021-10-15, 10:26 PM
Zishu moves forward beside Vuthan then holds out his hand and blasts at G2 with Radiant Vengeance. Blasting a light blue flame at the creature.

Radiant Vengeance: 120+9 includes 2 from combat Advtange vs Reflex

[roll0]
And grants me 4 Temp hp

TurboGhast
2021-10-17, 05:22 AM
Sarathi's charge nearly throws her into the pit, but she barely recovers while still managing to hit her reptilian target. This is clearly a favorable fluke that cannot be replicated.

Since 10 feet is two spaces, that's not far enough for her khopesh to reach the drake. I'll allow this one to keep the game moving, since I failed to notice the illegal move despite possessing ample time to do so, but not in the future.

Unable to retaliate, the creature takes cover beneath the nearest plank. The other catches Vuthan in a bite which leaves a large, mouth-shaped gash. Once it pulls away, blood begins leaking out of the wound.

The goblins quickly escape the flames Gagan created. One goes up the nearby ladder, then lands a crossbow shot on Elmo from their new vantage point. The other backs up and tries to focus on the same target, only to hit the pit wall.

D1's turn
Standard: Total defense.
Move: Shift one space south.

D2's turn
Standard: Bite at Vuthan.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (+6 base, -2 Whispers of defeat) vs AC. Critical hit!
Hit: [roll1] 19 damage.

G2's turn
Free: Drop shovel.
Move: Walk two spaces east, climbing up the ladder.
Minor: Wield crossbow.
Standard: Fire a crossbow at Elmo.

Attack Roll: [roll2] (+9 base -2 Dragonfear) vs AC. Hit.
Hit: [roll3] damage.

G3's turn
Free: Drop pickaxe.
Minor: Wield crossbow.
Move: Walk two east, then two spaces north.
Standard: Fire a crossbow at Elmo.

Attack Roll: [roll4] (+9 base -2 vertical cover) vs AC. Miss.
Hit: [roll5] damage.

Everyone will take their turns, then the remaining enemies will take their turns.

it snaps in half, sending the broken pieces and the character into the excavated area. The resulting 10ft drop into the excavation deals 1d10 falling damage and knocks you prone, unless all the falling damage is prevented. The plank can no longer be used, and I will update the map to remove it shortly.

they shift one space away from you.

Archemist
2021-10-17, 01:25 PM
Elmo grimaces through the pain of the arrow landing. "I've done worse to myself, on purpose. Pelor will sustain me," he says quietly.

Immediate interrupt power when Elmo is hit - damage reduced by 5, and (ally within 5) Sarathi gets +1 to attack until EOMNT.

He keeps firing at the goblin who shot him, looking for a little vengeance.

[roll0] to hit Wis vs AC for G2. Damage: [roll1].

Rakaydos
2021-10-18, 06:38 AM
Sarathi steps off the ledge, rolling on impact to soften the landing, and also to attempt to escpae the beast's jaws.

Provoke opportunity attack from Drake 1 while falling. (no bonus from sarathi prone)
[roll0] falling damage, prone.

(waiting on results of the above before taking my standard action)

Rakaydos
2021-10-18, 06:50 AM
(Falling damage alone decided things for me)

Without rising from the ground, sarathi lashed out with her khopesh at the beast's underbelly.

Crushing Surge: [roll0] to hit, 1d8(Brutal 1)+4 [roll1] damage on hit, 8 temp HP on hit, 4 temp HP on miss. (granted after opportunity attack resolves) and renew mark on Drake 1.

Edit: Miss, mark and 4 temp HP.

Dimers
2021-10-18, 07:52 AM
Gagan launches another sheet of flame at his focused target before dashing north to put the other goblin back into his range.

Standard action: ignition to include G2. [roll0] including CA and bravo's prey, so I can only miss on a 1. Any amount of damage puts G2 down.

Move action: walk across the north ramp to that mostly isolated little island.

sandmote
2021-10-18, 02:19 PM
Vuthan groans: "today is not my day."

He leans forward toward the reptile to have attacked him, steeling himself and drawing its attention despite the fact it has its blood on him, before shifting to a more advantageous position. "Lets keep them away from the others," he bellows, the ground turning harsh and rough at his feet.

Free Action: Mark D1 till EONT
Minor action: Stone's Endurance (5 resist all)
Move action: Shift north
Action: Hungry Earth, creating rough terrain for enemies plus burst 1.
Vs D1: [roll0] for [roll1]
Vs D2: [roll2] for [roll3]

If D1 attacks someone else within 5 squares, Vuthan shifts it 1, it is slowed and can't shift till EONT
If for some reason it is in melee with Vuthan he will use warden's fury to deal [roll4] vs Con for [roll5] instead.

Starbuck_II
2021-10-24, 09:29 PM
Zishu thinks it is time to bring out a big gun, " Time to get a little crazy, Shared Madness"

[roll0] vs Will
[roll1] at D2 and G3

Phantom Genius
2021-10-29, 04:51 AM
Drang moves five squares and throws a hand axe at D2. "I don't trust those planks..."

[roll0]
[roll1]

TurboGhast
2021-10-31, 02:23 AM
The reptiles throw themselves at the threats in front of them. The one engaging Vuthan tries to replicate its previous success, but finds its bite stopped by his armor. Sarathi feels the other reptile succeed in the form of teeth against skin. They seem encouraged by eachother's presence even though they're not in position to take direct advantage of it.

The last remaining goblins adjusts his position slightly, mumbles something, then fires a crossbow bolt at Sarathi. It lands true, adding to the pain.

"Looks like I might have a shot at beating you after all. I can say I found your gear down here and finally be done with this fruitless dig."

D1's turn
Standard: Bite at Sarathi.

Attack Roll:[roll0] (base) vs AC. Hit.
Hit: [roll1] damage.

D2's turn
Standard: Bite at Vuthan.

Attack Roll:[roll2] (base) vs AC. Miss.

G3's turn
Minor: Reload crossbow.
Move: Walk one space east.
Standard: Fire a crossbow at Sarathi. Hit.

Attack Roll:[roll4] (base) vs AC.
Hit: [roll5] damage.

Everyone will take their turns, then the remaining enemies will take their turns.

it snaps in half, sending the broken pieces and the character into the excavated area. The resulting 10ft drop into the excavation deals 1d10 falling damage and knocks you prone, unless all the falling damage is prevented. The plank can no longer be used, and I will update the map to remove it shortly.

he shifts one space away from you.

Rakaydos
2021-11-01, 09:38 AM
Sarathi isnt even bloodied yet, though she is clearly feeling the pain. Standing up, she slashes at the guard drake, gathering her will.

Stand up from prone
Crushing Surge on D1: [roll0] to hit AC (including flank), d8+6brutal 1 ([roll1]) damage on hit, 4 temp HP on miss, 8 temp HP on hit. Mark the drake in either case.

Archemist
2021-11-02, 12:54 AM
Elmo keeps on peppering the goblin from afar. "You can't hide!"

[roll0] Wis vs. AC for [roll1] on G3. Grasping Spirits again.

Elmo's unerring arrow hits the goblin straight through the heart.

sandmote
2021-11-03, 03:46 PM
"Might as well take advantage of the chaos for a moment."

Vuthan strikes at the reptile between him and Sarathi, hoping to get an easier hit. He is then going to abandon the flanking position to shift adjacent to the reptile he had been fighting and mark it again.

Standard action: attack [roll0] including flanking, for [roll1] damage and slowing D1 on a hit.
Move action: shifts over 1 square.
Free action: mark D2.

If D2 attacks whoever is next to the top of the ramp (I think it is XX) Vuthan will take the following Reaction:
Shift D2 back onto the ramp, and D2 is slowed and can't shift until EONT If Vuthan hits this isn't possible, but since the reptiles can't shift to flank Buthan, if teither tries to do so he'll make a OA instead:
[roll2] for [roll3]

Dimers
2021-11-09, 06:23 AM
Gagan shifts his position to get a better angle on the enemies on the floor, then unleashes another blast of flame.

Move action: shift 1 east.

Standard action: Elemental bolt on D1. [roll0] to hit Reflex 13, dealing [roll1] + [roll2]. If that hits but doesn't kill, add 5 damage from hellfire heart (no action).

Starbuck_II
2021-11-10, 10:53 AM
Zishu moves closer than blast the creature in the face with Radiant Vengeance... but misses badly

[roll0] vs Reflex
[roll1]

Phantom Genius
2021-11-12, 01:09 AM
Drang yells at D2, "If you can understand me, surrender or perish!"

[roll0]

TurboGhast
2021-11-14, 03:15 AM
The reptile cowers and slowly backs away from your group, taking a defensive stance as it does. However, without the benefit of language you can't be completely certain it has without further examination, and perhaps a bit of actively calming the reptile down just to be sure.

No matter what, the battle's clearly winding down. While it'll probably be shorter than the last, it was definitely a louder one.

D2's turn
Move: Shift one space east.

Everyone will take their turns, then the drake will take its turn. During your next turn, you can take the action noted below.

Calm Reptile (Standard): You use your knowledge of nature and animal handling to calm the reptile down and discern whether it intends to continue fighting. Make a DC 15 Nature check, whose result determines the outcome of the action.
This cowering maneuver is common among drakes, what you now recognize this reptile as. The drake clearly knows fighting on is pointless, and is shirking away in surrender. To end the fight, all you need to do is acknowledge its conclusion by leaving your battle stances.
You're not getting through to it, but at least it's not getting more worked up.
Of course, skills that I don't explicitly note as useful this way could be used in combat should you find them relevant.

Reactions:

sandmote
2021-11-14, 10:03 PM
Vuthan will mark the creature first, but then [roll0]

Vuthan slides into the space next to the cornered reptile, years of learning to herd goats over the mountain peaks at his back. "Easy there buddy. If you're done fighting us, we're done fighting you. Calm down sweetie, and we'll have you down--we'll have a nice break together, okay?"

"Uh, easy, there buddy, we'll knock if off now, okay?"

Archemist
2021-11-14, 11:27 PM
Elmo Theren also sees that the reptile is moving away and tries calming it. He holds up his hand to stop his allies' pursuit and says, "Hold; it's not the beast's fault that all it's known were evil cultists. It's not party to their schemes."

[roll0]

TurboGhast
2021-11-17, 06:29 PM
Soon, it becomes clear to everyone that the drake no longer wants to fight. Tension begins leaving the room, only to be interrupted on the way out. Zishu notices a goblin trying to peek out of a secret door unnoticed. While they closed it the moment he saw them, it was still too late.

All of the enemies have been neutralized, so you've won the combat. All of you gain 104 experience points.

The time pressure that makes whether you want to short rest here a real question should be obvious.

Archemist
2021-11-17, 10:07 PM
Zishu notices a goblin trying to peek out of a secret door unnoticed. While they closed it the moment he saw them, it was still too late.

The time pressure that makes whether you want to short rest here a real question should be obvious.

Elmo trots back over the wood plank to rejoin the others and motions to follow the retreating goblin. "They will know we are coming, now. We should stay on the move."

Phantom Genius
2021-11-18, 05:53 AM
Just before the combat ends, Drang uses healing word on Sarathi. (Following precedent)

[roll0]

sandmote
2021-11-18, 03:56 PM
Vuthan points to where the critical hit in the previous room had struck him, as well as where the Drakes had manages to get a hold. "I'm getting it quite bad today; If we must keep moving I hope we can try to avoid fighting, at least against the animals. I doubt there will be any good to eat, and they've no value otherwise."

He approaches the doorway overlooking the next room. "If we aren't stopping, anyone want to try getting us past the rats in peace?"

Dimers
2021-11-20, 01:12 PM
Gagan looks at Vuthan dubiously. "You're looking pretty beat up, friend. Maybe it'd be better to take a breather?" The dragonborn's own chest is moving quickly and he looks a bit weary -- apparently moving that much arcane energy that quickly tires him out.

Archemist
2021-11-20, 02:38 PM
Elmo seems miffed at the prospect of resting, even if it is the wiser course of action. He relents. "Let's rest, then. If they bring the fight to us, that will be their mistake."

sandmote
2021-11-20, 04:11 PM
"I don't mind moving forward, I was mostly hoping we get through one room without a fight breaking out." Still, Vuthan sits down where the edge of the ramp lowers into the pit. He looks over at the drake thoughtfully. "We taking this thing with us?"

TurboGhast
2021-11-21, 05:06 AM
It seems you're not the only ones not ready to go straight into a fight, as nobody emerges from the secret door to interrupt your rest. Even though you hear the sounds of rushed preparation, you feel ready to go before anything comes of it.

(OOC: Your short rest is uninterrupted. Awaiting manner of progress into the next room, as well as an answer to Vuthan's question.)

Archemist
2021-11-22, 09:01 PM
Elmo takes a breather and replies to Vuthan - "I don't think it will want to aid us after we killed its friend." He eyes the drake as if judging it for a Best In Show. "Peditham hi sui vellyn?" he asks, seeing if it responds to Elven.

Rakaydos
2021-11-23, 07:18 AM
"I don't mind moving forward, I was mostly hoping we get through one room without a fight breaking out." Still, Vuthan sits down where the edge of the ramp lowers into the pit. He looks over at the drake thoughtfully. "We taking this thing with us?"

"It's a dungeon crawl. The only way we're not fighting in every non connecting room is if we bring the whole place down on us, then explore after." Sarathi looked at the beast, and also tried a language. "Rak'sh Sh'zth Kree?" she said in abyssal, raising hairs in the necks of onlookers.

sandmote
2021-11-23, 03:16 PM
Vuthan shrugs, "I would expect wild animals to let us pass as soon as they decide we aren't appetizing. Still, if everyone is feeling a bit better, we should maybe get a move on."

Dimers
2021-11-23, 05:10 PM
Gagan nods and uses his staff to lever his way to a standing position. "If the drake stays behind us, maybe it'll ward off rats."

TurboGhast
2021-11-24, 09:07 PM
Elmo takes a breather and replies to Vuthan - "I don't think it will want to aid us after we killed its friend." He eyes the drake as if judging it for a Best In Show. "Peditham hi sui vellyn?" he asks, seeing if it responds to Elven.

"It's a dungeon crawl. The only way we're not fighting in every non connecting room is if we bring the whole place down on us, then explore after." Sarathi looked at the beast, and also tried a language. "Rak'sh Sh'zth Kree?" she said in abyssal, raising hairs in the necks of onlookers.

The drake doesn't respond to either language to the point where you're not even sure it understands you're speaking to it. Your best guess is that it was trained in goblin to try and prevent attackers from confusing the drake or co-opting its training.

Gagan nods and uses his staff to lever his way to a standing position. "If the drake stays behind us, maybe it'll ward off rats."

Even though you won't necessarily be able to convince the drake to come along, that doesn't mean warding off rats or other beasts that would attack opportunistically will be impossible. There's more than one way to show your guard will not drop.

sandmote
2021-11-28, 07:54 PM
"Well, if it's not budging, lets get moving." Vuthan enters the staircase into the next room, and does his best to survey the rocks the rats were running through the last time he checked it.

Rakaydos
2021-11-30, 06:30 AM
Vaemara followed, closer to the front this time.

Archemist
2021-11-30, 10:06 AM
The elf follows, nocking an arrow just in case.

Dimers
2021-11-30, 06:00 PM
Gagan motions the others to continue ahead of him, then sweeps his gaze over the now-quiet room, watching for signs of trouble coming out of the woodwork.

TurboGhast
2021-12-03, 09:26 PM
Now that you've entered, you can see the cavern has a surprising amount of life to it. Lizards skitter across the floor, seeking to eat the insects crawling along the stalagmites. However, the large rats that could prove a concern seem to have gone silent and run for hiding spots.

(OOC: Place yourselves on the battle map according to the formation you want to traverse the room in.)

Archemist
2021-12-03, 10:33 PM
I assume we're coming in from the north stairs, since that would match up with the previous map. Elmo will be somewhere in the middle row, I think. And there's exits to the west and south?

Elmo proceeds down the stairs warily.

sandmote
2021-12-11, 01:53 AM
Vuthan takes the opportunity to check for any additional danger.

might as well keep something moving, so [roll0] for perception.

TurboGhast
2021-12-12, 04:17 AM
While the stalagmites are thick enough for the rats to hide within, Vuthan's able to pick them out. After looking up, he also sees some have climbed into thick patches of stalactites while still keeping a close eye on you. While the rats know Vuthan can see them, this is to your benefit. When the six of you approach, they scatter for different hiding spots.

Your close formation seems to be dissuading any attacks, but they're clearly waiting for you to break that formation.

(OOC: I got so caught up in asking how you were going forwards that I forgot to ask where you were going. Anyway, unless someone ends up isolated or you try and enter the sub-room the jelly's within combat won't start in this room.)

Dimers
2021-12-12, 07:43 PM
Quietly, Gagan asks from the back of the group, "Try the door or head further along? I'm inclined to keep some distance from that ooze creature over there, so I vote door."

Archemist
2021-12-12, 08:14 PM
Quietly, Gagan asks from the back of the group, "Try the door or head further along? I'm inclined to keep some distance from that ooze creature over there, so I vote door."

"Agreed - I could have tried sneaking by it but those aren't as easily fooled as a goblin," Elmo replies, similarly quietly. "Door it is."

Rakaydos
2021-12-16, 09:22 AM
Nodding, the gnoll led the way past the debris, heading toward the door to the east.

sandmote
2021-12-16, 01:09 PM
Weapon drawn, the goliath follows closely behind.

TurboGhast
2021-12-17, 01:46 AM
Upon getting closer, you can see the door in more detail. The entirety of the bronze double doors have gone green with age, with occasional purple and blue stains created by a thick layer of fungus. Scratched into the fungus in Common is the message, "Stay Out. Really."

Rakaydos
2021-12-17, 06:23 AM
"I say we open the door and walk away. If the slime is gone later, there's probably something nasty in there."

Dimers
2021-12-17, 02:33 PM
Gagan examines the door and floor in detail. At what height is the message written? Seems like goblins would be more likely to write lower down -- and not in Common. Are there marks on the floor or door handle that hint at movement through the area despite the message?

I'm not trained in Nature or Perception, but it doesn't hurt to try. Nature [roll0], Perception [roll1] including the +1 for having an elf ally nearby.

TurboGhast
2021-12-20, 04:40 AM
The center of the message is between goblin eye level and human eye level, while the letters are tall enough to reach both levels. It's wide enough to cover the entire door. Looking closer, the message was scratched into the door itself, and only appeared to have been scratched into the fungus because it grew into the cuts.

Gagan can't find anything suggesting that the door's been opened recently. In fact, the growth pattern on the floor suggests that it's been left shut for quite while.

Dimers
2021-12-20, 09:50 PM
"Doesn't look like we'd miss out on any fun by leaving it alone. We can always come back if we want to later." Gagan turns away from his examination of the door. "Keep going south?"

Archemist
2021-12-20, 10:04 PM
"As fun as it might be to watch them fight it out... what's behind this door could be a worse evil than any other in this place. Gagan is correct - let's move on for now."

Rakaydos
2021-12-21, 06:34 AM
Sarathi nods, and continues south and east, over the rubble toward the next hallway.

TurboGhast
2021-12-23, 04:22 AM
Nothing physically troubles you on the way towards the area's southern exit, but losing sight of the cavern's entrance means your equipment is the only thing staving off pitch black darkness. The tunnel ahead of you is significantly smoother than the room you traversed to reach it, although not as smooth as a proper building floor.

First, just realized I forgot to ask what you're using for a light source, since there aren't any in this room or the next. To keep things moving I'll just say you were using that light source the entire time.

Second, now's the time to specify changes to the nature of your movement you want to make before entering the next room, if any.

sandmote
2021-12-23, 10:46 PM
"Move the torch up," Vuthan whispers, his shield in one hand and the other hovering over the handle of his blade. He stays up front, but doesn't try to be much quieter than the party has already been.

TurboGhast
2021-12-30, 03:54 AM
The first thing noticeable as you walk down the tunnel is a pit that appears to have once been concealed by a layer of flagstone, marked on the map by a brown circle with a transparent green fill. The wall following that has a few 2 feet wide gaps lining it, but none you can see another end to.

OOC: Place yourselves on the battle map, within the box with a transparent green fill. Bear in mind that bright light can only be found in a five space radius around whoever's holding the torch at the moment unless you break out another light source.

Malicious chittering and a nose-wrinkling, snakelike musk issue from the chamber ahead.

Two spaces southwest of the pit, you see a suspiciously elevated section of floor about the same size as it.

Archemist
2021-12-30, 03:06 PM
[roll0] Perception check to see if I see anything.

Elmo continues down behind Vuthan, eyes peeled. Unfortunately his Elf eyes prove nigh useless, even with low-light vision.

Dimers
2021-12-31, 09:40 AM
Distrusting the gaps (into which a small ambusher might fit), Gagan unshutters his lantern and peers down each.

[roll0]

Rakaydos
2022-01-05, 07:05 AM
Sarathi also gives the narrow halls a glance... and a sniff.

[roll0]

TurboGhast
2022-01-09, 12:14 AM
Between a faint trace of inhuman saliva and hungry chitters, Sarathi's sniffing is followed by a call for combat readiness. In addition, she points out a flagstone on the floor that seems suspiciously raised (such spaces have been marked on the battle map with gray squares). Gagan can barely see scythed legs through the holes in the east wall.

Here is a link to the initiative rolls (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25327675&postcount=38).

The large transparent yellow box is meant to assist in adjudication of the lighting rules; for that reason it should be centered on the person holding the torch. Bear in mind there might be enemies past its light.

Drang, Gagan, Sarathi, and Zishu will take their turns because of their initiative rolls, then the enemies will.

The flagstone crumbles beneath you, dropping you into a dank pit. Take 1d10 falling damage, from falling the pit's 10ft length. Leaving the pit requires a DC 15 athletics check. The open pit remains present on the map.

Rakaydos
2022-01-10, 04:17 PM
Sarathi moves up and prepares to crush the first critter to emerge. from the holes.

Move, reactivate Battle Fury stance, Ready Crushing Surge
[roll0] vs AC, mark, [roll1] (d8b1+6) damage and 8 temp hp on hit, 4 temp hp on miss.

Dimers
2022-01-11, 10:06 AM
Gagan advances steadily. Peering through the crevices, he says, "I don't like the look of those at all!" and tries to shock the creatures into retreat with a blast of fire.

Move action to walk south and slightly west. Standard action for ignition centered 5 squares east, mostly blocking travel for H1 and H4.
[roll0] to hit H2's Fortitude 13
[roll1] to hit H3's Fortitude 13
[roll2] to hit H5's Fortitude 13
[roll3] to hit H6's Fortitude 13
Any hit kills, any miss does nothing. No minor action this turn.

The ignition zone deals 4 fire damage to creatures that enter it or end their turn in it.

Phantom Genius
2022-01-11, 12:14 PM
Drang moved, but didn't see any enemies.

sandmote
2022-01-13, 12:31 PM
Vuthan remains cautious, avoiding rushing off. Vuthan moves to the edge of the light, toward the open hallway. He prepares to hurl a javelin at anything that emerges from the holes he's too large to squeeze through. "Anyone who can speak there?" He's not sure he's audible over the blast of fire, but still keeps his voice down.

Delaying Turn until anything passes through the holes or something that isn't a party member comes into the light. Will delay to one initiative count after. If we're not using this rule to keep things simple and I have forgotten, Readied attack is rolled here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25335009&postcount=39), and he will instead move to either I5 or 5I (creature h1 is standing in one of the two and he will be moving to the other).

TurboGhast
2022-01-15, 02:35 AM
Between the flames and Gagan pointing his lantern, a few more tougher looking critters become visible. The newly visible ones are larger, a little more purple, and spikier than the ones closest to you. The largest is about the size of a human, and even more purple and spiky than the rest. Past them, you can see a small pile of coins, among other things.

All the light makes traits common to all of these six-limbed insect like reptiles more visible. Chitinous plates cover their bodies and short tails. Four of their limbs end in claws that resemble scythes, with the other two are smaller, finer, and closer to their bodies. The heads are only vaguely reptilian, with lower jaws that end in plates flanked by serrated mandibles.

Vuthan remains cautious, avoiding rushing off. "Anyone who can speak there?" He's not sure he's audible over the blast of fire, but still keeps his voice down.

Delaying Turn until anything passes through the holes or something that isn't a party member comes into the light. Will delay to one initiative count after. If we're not using this rule to keep things simple and I have forgotten, he will instead move to either I5 or 5I (creature h1 is standing in one of the two and he will be moving to the other).

Vuthan receives no reply but angered chittering.

We're not using the delay rules found in the books because they're not compatible with the team initiative rules we're using, which were devised to make the game easier and faster to play. If you want to do something during the enemy phase, reactions and readied actions are your go-tos.

Delaying your turn until after a teammate takes theirs, for combos, information gathering, and similar, is allowed, just say that you're doing so. Anyways, waiting on your turn, as Gagan's action revealed more opponents.

TurboGhast
2022-01-18, 10:34 PM
All of the creatures begin skittering around the flames except for the largest one, which dives in and points it spiky back into the hole on the other side of the flames. Two spikes shoot off their back through the hole. Gagan barely evades the spike aimed at him, while the one aimed at Drang would have been a perfect shot if was 5 feet closer.

One of the larger ones becomes visible crawling down the hole next to it, preemptively blocking in anticipation of further attack. Their joints have contorted in strange ways that let them move through without slowing down a bit. From the noise in the rest of the tunnels, you expect the others are doing the same out of your sight.

H4's turn
Move: Walk one space east, two spaces south, one space southeast, another space south, two spaces southwest, and one space east.
Standard: Walk one space west, one space south, then three spaces west.

H1's turn
Move: Walk three spaces east, two spaces south, one space southeast, a space south, and a final space southwest.

A's turn
Move: Walk one space south, then three spaces west.
Standard: Fires toxic spikes at Gagan and Drang.
First, at Gagan.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (+7 base, -5 superior cover) vs AC. Miss.
Hit: [roll1] damage and ongoing 5 poison damage, and Gagan is slowed (Save ends both effects; Skill cure: Heal DC 17 standard action).
Second, at Drang. Oops! Turns out he's one space out of range. No other legal targets anyway, since this attack can't target the same person twice.

Attack Roll: [roll2] (+7 base, -5 superior cover) vs AC. Critical hit!
Hit: [roll3] damage and ongoing 5 poison damage, and Drang is slowed (Save ends both effects; Skill cure: Heal DC 17 standard action).

Y2's turn
Move: Walk one space southwest, two spaces south, two spaces west, two spaces north, and one space west.

Y1's turn
Move:
Walk straight west until they've moved 8 spaces, an obstacle gets in the way, or moving further west would provoke an opportunity attack. Keep in mind that the creature's unusual joints let it crawl through the tunnels at walking speed.

Y3's turn
Move: Walk one space west, two spaces southwest, two spaces west, and one space north.

Archemist
2022-01-19, 01:29 AM
Elmo moves up with the torch still in hand. He raises his other hand to it and the flames brighten and flare. He brings his hand down quickly, in the direction of the skittering. "May the power of the sun smite you, lovers of the dark!"

[roll0] Wis vs. Reflex, for [roll1] radiant damage, since he can see creature A down the cracks past Gagan. If it hits he'll slide the creature towards the rest of the party.

The radiant fire surrounds the purple spiky monster as it shields its eyes, heading for the nearest crack to try to escape the light, to no avail.

Rakaydos
2022-01-19, 11:41 AM
Noting that the creatures chose to stay back out of her reach, sarathi grinned, and took a small step away from the holes the attackers came from, offering them a chance to get closer...

Shift 1 space, ready crushing surge again.

To hit: [roll0] vs AC,
Damage: [roll1](d8+6 brutal 1)
8 temp HP and mark on hit, 4 temp HP and mark on miss.

Phantom Genius
2022-01-20, 05:46 AM
Drang launches a Sacred Flame at "A," hoping to hurt it and give Sarathi two temp hp.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Rakaydos
2022-01-20, 06:47 AM
Drang launches a Sacred Flame at "A," hoping to hurt it and give Sarathi two temp hp.

[roll0]
[roll1]

(with temp HP, my readied action gains +2 damage if it hits)

sandmote
2022-01-20, 01:52 PM
Vuthan slides up to the crack in the wall. Spectral Vines erupt from his blade, tearing into the crack in the wall and at the oddly jointed creature within.

[roll0]. On a hit, deal [roll1] 8 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25340035&postcount=40) and pull 1 square. Listed AC is 15 so I have moved it closer and Vuthan will use Nature's Wrath to mark it.

With the creature pulled in close, Vuthan's bulk presses in on it, threatening to punish it further in case its weird joints might allow it to get around and reach any of his allies.

Dimers
2022-01-20, 06:36 PM
As the room bursts into activity around him, Gagan prepares another spell. One of the chittering creatures rushes up to menace him; Sarathi bashes at it, dealing a serious blow despite the chitin. "A fine strike -- let's see if I can match it," the dragonborn shouts, adding a wordless roar afterward.

When I start my turn, the ignition zone ends, triggering Y1's movement, which in turn triggers Sarathi's hit. I've added her temp HP for the hit, as well as recording the mark and the damage on Y1.

Minor action: tag A as bravo's prey.

Minor action: dragonfear. I think this targets every creature other than H1, but I'm away from my home computer so I can't check the rules on cover. Y3 and H4 might be safe. Any miss does nothing, any hit imposes combat advantage and -2 attack until the end of my third turn.
[roll0] vs A's Will 14
[roll1] vs Y1's Will 11
[roll2] vs Y2's Will 11
EDIT: The rules on cover say I can't target Y3 or H4, so I'll erase those effects in the battle map momentarily.
[roll3] vs Y3's Will 11
[roll4] vs H4's Will 12

Standard action: elemental bolt with elemental escalation. No opportunity attack due to Staff Expertise.
[roll5] (+2 if CA) vs A's Reflex 17 for [roll6] + [roll7] + [roll8] fire damage
[roll9] (+2 if CA) vs Y1's Reflex 14 for [roll10] + [roll11] + [roll12] fire damage
If either one puts a creature within 5 points of falling, add hellfire heart for 5 more damage.

I end my turn in Y1's aura, so I take 2 damage (unless I manage to kill it first, I guess).

Dimers
2022-01-20, 06:51 PM
The creatures visibly shrink away from Gagan's roar, but the one standing before him still threatens the dragonborn's legs with its spikes. He attempts another more rushed spell to try to finish off the foe before it can do serious harm ...

I might be able to finish off V1 and A this round if I spend an action point, so let's do it! Ignition centered 2 squares east from my position:
[roll0] vs A's Fortitude 16 for [roll1] fire damage. Add 5 for hellfire heart if that'd take down A.
[roll2] vs Y1's Fortitude 13. Any hit is enough damage to fell Y1.

... and succeeds, though the spell fizzles against the largest foe.

TurboGhast
2022-01-25, 02:05 AM
Even while confined in the tunnel, the creature Vuthan's engaged with can slash about so wildly to make their attacks unblockable in aggregate. Fortunately, these slashes are too frenzied to deal major damage. A smaller one emerges from the wall to try and land a more focused hit. He blocks it, only for the one already present to land a strike from behind. Soon after, another emerges to replicate the tactic, leaving another mark.

Meanwhile, the largest one squeezes through a hole to slash at Gagan. He barely evades the following swipe, nearly crashing into Elmo in the process. If it weren't for his dragonfear, the attack would have hit.

Along the path ahead, a single one of these creatures strides into view, watching for an opening. Noisy chittering fills the room as the battle continues.

A's turn
Move: Squeeze, then move 2 spaces west, ending at normal size.
Standard: Slash at Gagan with a claw.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (+8 base, -2 dragonfear) vs AC. Miss.
Takes 4 fire damage from ignition at end of turn, which has already been marked.

Standard: Slash at the person who provoked the OA with a claw.

Attack Roll: [roll2] ± all active modifiers vs AC.

H4's turn
Move: Walk one space west and three spaces north.
Standard: Slash at Vuthan with a claw.

Attack Roll: [roll4] (+5 base, +2 CA via flanking) vs AC. Miss.
Hit: 4 damage.

Y2's turn

Attack Roll: [roll5] (+5 base, +2 CA via flanking, -2 dragonfear) vs AC. Hit.
Hit: [roll6] damage.

Y3's turn
Move: Walk 2 spaces south, 4 spaces west, and 2 spaces north.

Attack Roll: [roll7] (+5 base) vs AC. Hit.
Hit: [roll8] damage.

H1's turn
Move: Walk 1 space southwest, 2 spaces west, 2 spaces south, and 3 spaces west.
Standard: Walk 2 spaces west, 1 space south, 2 more spaces west, 1 space northwest, and 1 space north.

Everyone will take their turns, then the remaining enemies will take their turns. The narration described the enemy's aura to help you remember it this turn, and I prerolled an opportunity attack for A because it seems more likely than usual that one will be necessary this turn.

Rakaydos
2022-01-25, 06:39 AM
Caught up in the excitement of combat, Sarathi smashed the largest foe, who was already battered and bleeding after the other attacks.

Brash Strike: [roll0] vs AC, enough bonus damage to drop it on a roll of a 1, and if it lives, Sarathi grants combat advantage to it.

Rakaydos
2022-01-25, 06:45 AM
Not yet satisfied, sarathi stepped around the nearest, weak opponent, and swung at the large foe behind

Move action: shift 1 square
Action point: Brash Strike on Y3
[roll0] vs ac, [roll1] (1d8b1+8+2+2), mark, and sarathi grants combat advantage to Y3,

EoT, 4 aura damage

sandmote
2022-01-26, 10:25 AM
"Garh," Vuthan growls as the attacks lay into him from one side as he protects himself on the other. The earth around him roils in response as he raises his defenses further.

Standard Action: Hungry Earth, area in burst 1 becomes difficult terrain for enemies until end of next turn.
[roll0] for [roll1] against H4
[roll2] for [roll3] against Y2
[roll4] for [roll5] against Y3

Minor Action: Stone's Endurance

Move Action: If H4 is hit Vuthan will shift south. Otherwise, no move action this turn.

Phantom Genius
2022-01-28, 05:40 AM
"Garh," Vuthan growls

"Vuthan, watch your flank! We only just met and it's too soon to say goodbye!"

This should help that growl: Take a healing surge plus this roll.
[roll0]

sandmote
2022-01-28, 11:11 AM
Vuthan looks fully refreshed from Drang's Aid. "Thanks friend. Let them come at my flank though; better at that than at you," he gestures at the roiling earth around him.

Archemist
2022-01-29, 08:43 PM
The elf finds the others making short work of the creatures, and he takes a moment to concentrate on where the remaining ones are. In a blur of motion, he tosses down the torch and draws his bow, and shoots an arrow that makes a ghostly fork of itself to hit the creatures on both sides of Vuthan simultaneously.

It's burst 1, but I think I can catch Y2 and Y3 together. Wis vs. AC for each:
Y2 [roll0] for [roll1]+[roll2]
Y3 [roll3] for [roll4]+[roll5]

Half damage on misses.

TurboGhast
2022-02-01, 03:03 AM
The remaining creatures seem just as willing to fight as they were at the start despite the damage you've dealt, and the ones you've already defeated. Their claws whir about almost as automatically as breathing. Even though you're on the verge of victory, it's clear you still need to keep your guard up.

(OOC: No mechanical changes. Waiting on Zishu and Gagan to take their turns.)

Dimers
2022-02-01, 05:40 PM
Already breathing hard from throwing around magical energy so quickly, Gagan takes in a deep breath to shoot a flame-lance at one of Vuthan's attackers.

Elemental bolt at Y2, nothing else this turn. [roll0] vs Reflex 14, any hit deals enough damage to kill.

The dragonborn nods in satisfaction as his target burns.

Starbuck_II
2022-02-08, 11:25 AM
Zishu was thinking hard on a question and totally forgot where he was till now.
"What a fight? Time for a little madness!"
Zishu shoots a wave of rainbow light at Y3.

Shared Madness:
[roll0] vs Will
[roll1] to both targets if hit

Sorry, totally forgot to check this for a while, apologies.
Darn missed lol

Phantom Genius
2022-02-09, 05:35 AM
Sorry, totally forgot to check this for a while, apologies.

Did you know that you can subscribe to this and the OOC? I get an email every time there's a new post for the day.
Glad you're back!

TurboGhast
2022-02-10, 01:13 PM
Sarathi's brash attack draws both of your remaining enemies' attention, giving their instinctual rage a target. The counterattack from the one she struck is blocked, only for a charge from the other direction to land. A smaller claw makes for a smaller wound, at least.

Y3's Turn
Standard: Slash at Sarathi with a claw.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (+5 base, +2 CA via Brash Strike) vs AC. Miss.

Y3's Turn
Standard: Charge at Sarathi with a claw.

Move two spaces northeast.
Attack Roll: [roll2] (+5 base, +1 for charging) vs AC. Hit.
Hit: 4 damage.

Everyone will get a turn, and then any remaining enemies will get a turn. Of course, the battle will likely end before that.

Rakaydos
2022-02-11, 06:33 AM
Sarathi meets one of her attackers with her shield, using it's momentum against it.

Vs Y3
[roll0] vs Fortitude, [roll1] damage and 4 temp HP on a hit.

sandmote
2022-02-11, 09:15 AM
Vuthan whirls against the creature nearest to him, bringing down his sword hard against its body.

If the creature survives, Vuthan presses up against it, taking its attention from Sarathai to himself. He then shifts northward, the better to guard if it should attempt to flank the gnoll.

Standard Action: [roll0] for [roll1], and teh target is slowed on a hit.
Move Action: Shift 1 north.

Starbuck_II
2022-02-12, 12:24 AM
Zishu decides he needs to take down at least one of them.
He rushed between them and blast his sword all around him at enemies.

Swordburst
[roll0] vs reflex to both enemies if hit
[roll1]

Dimers
2022-02-12, 10:09 AM
Gagan fires a blast between his allies, hoping to finish the last of the odd creatures before it can do more harm.

Shooting an elemental bolt at Y3, of course, and shifting east. [roll0] against Reflex 14; any hit does enough damage to kill.

He heaves a sigh. "Done. What were those things? I haven't seen their like before."

Starbuck_II
2022-02-12, 11:59 AM
"Could be some kind of dogs or cats they bred for defense and mutated with dark magik?" Zishu said confused. "Think there will be more in the next room?"

sandmote
2022-02-14, 09:08 AM
"Whatever they are, I don't think they're natural," Vuthan replies. "Although I would wonder they anyone would use these as guard animals if they had those scaled things the goblins were with. These didn't seem as tough."

TurboGhast
2022-02-15, 01:17 AM
All of the enemies have been defeated, so you've won the combat. All of you gain 172 experience points.

Nothing interrupts the post-battle short rest.

With free rein of the room, a few new things become noticeable. First, at the bottom of the open pit, you can see a long-since crumpled and broken reptile of the type you just engaged. Second, the entrance to this room is also the only exit.

Third, there's a bunch of coins piled up at the right corner of the dead end. Counting it out, there's 47 gp (7 per, 5 remainer) and 216 sp (36 per, no remainder). 5 amethyst gems are strewn haphazardly about within the pile.

Rakaydos
2022-02-16, 07:54 AM
"Load it up. Looks like a dead end. Do we try the door with the warnings, or look for another way to go?"

Starbuck_II
2022-02-16, 01:30 PM
"Could there be a secret entrance? These things had to have come from somewhere, no?"

Rakaydos
2022-02-16, 01:47 PM
"Probably a tunnel somewhere in that shattered rock, but none of us are small enough to make use of it. Let's turn around."

Phantom Genius
2022-02-18, 01:27 AM
"Hey! Gems!" Drang's enthusiasm is palpable. "Should we search the room first? Maybe the bottom of the pit?"

TurboGhast
2022-02-19, 01:33 AM
No evidence of tunnels not already marked on the battle map is visible at a glance, but skill checks might let you find more details.

To get in and out of the open pit safely you'd have to climb a bit. Fortunately, it wouldn't be that difficult (you can assume success when attempting it).

Archemist
2022-02-19, 01:42 AM
Elmo Theren decides he's kept to the background for long enough, and so he picks up his torch from the ground and drops down into the pit to explore, at Drang's suggestion.

[roll0] Nature and [roll1] Perception

The elf examines the long-dead creature in the pit and sees if he can learn anything about its life or demise. He also searches the pit for footprints or other evidence of people who might have been down there previously.

Dimers
2022-02-21, 12:24 PM
Gagan simply rests and reabsorbs arcane energy while his companions look around, keeping his senses trained on the direction they came from. "I have no skill in finding hidden passages. Best I stick to what I do well." He mimes blasting fire at an imaginary goblin coming down the stairs.

TurboGhast
2022-02-23, 07:02 PM
Getting a closer look lets Elmo recognize the creature as a kruthik, a reptilian hunter that relies on superior numbers to overwhelm prey. Hives have been known to strip everywhere in their reach of all potential prey, including humanoids, so they're generally agreed to be pests. Fortunately for adventures tasking with exterminating them, kruthik tend to bring any treasure they find into their hive.

Beneath the kruthik's corpse is a similarly long-dead goblin's corpse, whose spiky wounds make it clear they were in a fight with a kruthik. Within their belt pouch is 12 gp (2 per) and two potions of healing they never got to use.

As a minor action, drink this potion and spend a healing surge to regain 10 hit points (instead of the amount you'd normally regain).

Archemist
2022-02-23, 07:55 PM
The elf jumps back up out of the pit holding the loot. He looks his companions up and down and hands the two potions to the two worst-hurt members of the party. For the coins, he carefully passes 2 coins to each, saying, "Well that's two for you, two for you, two for you..." etc. until holding up the final two and saying, "And here is my 2 cents."

As far as where to go next, he says simply, "Whatever is behind that door will be fine staying there at least until we finish eradicating the cultists from this place. Once the door is open... it may be hard to close again."

Phantom Genius
2022-02-26, 07:04 AM
The elf jumps back up out of the pit holding the loot. He looks his companions up and down and hands the two potions to the two worst-hurt members of the party.
"Hey! Save those for a rainy day (a bloody day? maybe that!) I got all yer healing right here."

As far as where to go next, he says simply, "Whatever is behind that door will be fine staying there at least until we finish eradicating the cultists from this place. Once the door is open... it may be hard to close again."

"I agree. Let's fry this trash." (Mostly looking at Gagan)

Starbuck_II
2022-02-28, 04:19 PM
"I hope you are right, this better not be a castle that explodes if all cultist are killed. Thanks for climbing down to get that treasure, Elmo" replies jokingly Zishu.

Rakaydos
2022-03-01, 06:45 AM
"In case it hasnt been mentioned, I age like 3 times faster than even the humans. Y'all are taking FOREVER in here. Can we move on?"

Dimers
2022-03-01, 06:26 PM
Gagan's eyes glitter but he doesn't crack a smile as he says to Sarathi, "Learn the patience of ancient Arkhosia. And never mind that the empire fell long ago. Let's head out." He grabs his pack, lantern and staff from where they're resting by a wall.

sandmote
2022-03-01, 06:27 PM
"If this is a dead end, maybe we can try following the goblin that ran off?" Vuthan scratches his head. "Except if they're anything like my people, they've specially trained to escape on a path we can't follow."

TurboGhast
2022-03-03, 04:38 AM
You're able to return to the excavation site without incident. At first glance, the only change is that the drake seems to have left, so it's time to take a closer look.

(OOC: Begin describing the manner in which you search the area and making perception checks.)

sandmote
2022-03-04, 11:24 AM
Vuthan heads to where he thinks he recalls the goblin disappeared. Feeling along the sides of the wall, he looks for any preprepared edges that the goblins could use to mark or open the passage, like the markings and handholds the goliath craft to make their regular paths easier for the children. "They had to know where to spot the wall somehow, and I'm hoping it wasn't pure memory."

Forgot to roll. Can be found here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25385659&postcount=42) on the rolling thread. (result of 21)

Phantom Genius
2022-03-05, 08:00 AM
Vuthan heads to where he thinks he recalls the goblin disappeared. Feeling along the sides of the wall, he looks for any preprepared edges.

Drang tries to emulate Vuthan.
[roll0]

TurboGhast
2022-03-06, 12:41 AM
The closest thing Vuthan and Drang find to such a marking is a line of slightly more worn out stone on the hallway's northern wall around the height of Drang's shoulder, going from the top of the staircase to 5 feet past the bottom of that staircase (the purple line on the battle map marks its location). While it unfortunately seems the goblins simply remembered the position of the secret door, that might tell you something about it, and even crumbs of information can be boons when searching for something well hidden.

Dimers
2022-03-07, 04:20 PM
"Hmmmm ..." Gagan taps his chin. "Perhaps something magically activated? I'll search that way while you folk continue." He goes to stand in the middle of the room and closes his eyes for a minute or so.

[roll0] If that comes out to 14 or less, I'll try a reroll, taking the second result: [roll1]

TurboGhast
2022-03-08, 10:56 PM
Gagan doesn't sense any magic besides the expected pulse of the party's magical equipment (that pulse doesn't make detecting other things harder). As best you can tell, the secret door is a mundane one.

Rakaydos
2022-03-11, 05:42 AM
Sararhi moves along the wall, looking for changes in airflow and goblin scent.

[roll0] perception.

TurboGhast
2022-03-13, 03:04 AM
Minute changes in airflow let Sarathi pinpoint the exact location of the door - just after the stairs end. However, she's not able to locate the opening mechanism. You're so close that coming up with one clever idea will let you in.

The scent of goblin is especially strong on the slightly more worn out stone. Since that line ends at the door's center, they're probably related.

(OOC: Door location has been marked on the battle map.

Probably should have explicitly noted that successfully reasoning about the secret door is a path to opening it. A perception check that beats the DC will let you find and open the door no questions asked, but good ones that don't quite get to the high DC still give relevant information. Given the good rolls, drawing one piece of new information out of what you already know will be enough to find the intended means of opening it.)

Archemist
2022-03-13, 10:19 AM
The elf is pretty good at perceiving things but not like his ancestors' knack for finding secret doors. He gives it a try anyway, here.

[roll0]

TurboGhast
2022-03-15, 01:51 AM
All of the information gathered up to this point makes the mere try an outright success. When Elmo pushes a specific brick diagonally inward and eastward, an entire section of the wall slides open without a sound to reveal a small, staircased hallway leading to a handle connected to the inner workings of a secret door, clearly meant for opening it from the inside. However, some indistinguishable chatter reveals that there has to be someone on the other side.

(OOC: Awaiting the manner in which you advance, including if stealth, temporary party splitting, or other forms of strategic movement will be used.)

Dimers
2022-03-15, 07:28 PM
Gagan smiles a big, toothy grin as the passageway opens. "Good job, Elmo. Now, how do you feel about sneaking ahead to get a peek at our enemies? Or should we bull on down there like thunder rolling in and lightning right behind?"

Archemist
2022-03-18, 01:15 AM
Gagan smiles a big, toothy grin as the passageway opens. "Good job, Elmo. Now, how do you feel about sneaking ahead to get a peek at our enemies? Or should we bull on down there like thunder rolling in and lightning right behind?"

Elmo wordlessly peeks into the passageway and begins walking down it slowly. At the first bend, assuming no traps or other noises, he motions for the others to follow, then proceeds a little further.

As always, remember you folks have +1 to perception from being around an elf. Elmo's looking/listening roll: [roll0]

TurboGhast
2022-03-19, 02:55 AM
Elmo wordlessly peeks into the passageway and begins walking down it slowly. At the first bend, assuming no traps or other noises, he motions for the others to follow, then proceeds a little further.

As always, remember you folks have +1 to perception from being around an elf. Elmo's looking/listening roll: [roll0]

(OOC: There are no bends in the passageway, just 10ft of flat floor followed by 20ft of staircase with a door at the top. Probably should have said that I updated the battle map last post.)

A thorough search reveals there aren't any traps in the passageway, nor is anything rigged to trigger when you touch the door at its end.

The people behind the door don't seem to have noticed your presence yet, as they're still talking to eachother with the same tone as before your search. However, they're using the same language that the goblins you fought in the room behind you were, so you don't know what they're saying.

Archemist
2022-03-19, 03:46 PM
(OOC: There are no bends in the passageway, just 10ft of flat floor followed by 20ft of staircase with a door at the top. Probably should have said that I updated the battle map last post.)

A thorough search reveals there aren't any traps in the passageway, nor is anything rigged to trigger when you touch the door at its end.

The people behind the door don't seem to have noticed your presence yet, as they're still talking to each other with the same tone as before your search. However, they're using the same language that the goblins you fought in the room behind you were, so you don't know what they're saying.

Elmo instead returns to the others and says quietly, "These ones seem to have missed the commotion earlier. So. Burst in swinging as before?"

Thanks for the reminder to check the map!

sandmote
2022-03-19, 05:36 PM
"Let's try bursting though all at once; the better to create some momentum," Vuthan keeps his voice down as he takes a position near the top of the stairs.

Dimers
2022-03-20, 03:33 PM
Gagan grins again and gives Vuthan a thumbs-up.

Rakaydos
2022-03-20, 03:35 PM
Sarathi also readies for battle.

Starbuck_II
2022-03-23, 09:09 AM
"I'm always ready for a fight" Zishu says as he readies near the stairs.

TurboGhast
2022-03-25, 01:06 AM
The hidden door slides open without a sound. You see a small chamber enclosed by hanging tapestries, on the other side of which you can see the bottom half of an obese goblin and a smaller than usual goblin amid a conversation. A wooden chest sits at the foot of the bed.

Your entry is immediately noticed for lack of effort to conceal it, and seems to have surprised them into speaking common.

The smaller one yells, "Ah, behind us! They found the secret door!"

While quickly preparing fighting stances, the other goblin replies, "Speak of the devil... I told you assuming the kruthiks ate them was way too optimistic!"

Link (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25407159&postcount=43) to the initiative rolls.

Everyone will place themselves in a space within the green box on the battle map, then take their turn because your opponents had a low initiative roll. Once that's done, the enemies will take their turn.

The squiggly lines on the battle map represent thick tapestries hanging from the ceiling. They block line of sight and effect, and medium creatures need to use two spaces of movement in order to move through them. As a standard action, you can make a DC 15 strength check to attempt to pull one down. Success on the check means successfully pulling it down.

it doesn't open. Presumably, it's locked.

they shift one space away from the attacker.

Finally, I'm using a new method for noting the stats of minions. The visual descriptions and defenses of each type are listed once, and in the section for noting status and wielded items there's a separate line for each minion. This should save space and make the battle easier to adjudicate.

sandmote
2022-03-25, 08:17 AM
"Ah, someone who knows how to speak to an enemy," Vuthan flashes a nasty grin before blocking off the goblins from the western door.

"Any chance of explaining to us 'devils' what you've been doing here?" Vuthan pressed in heavily, his own bulk making the goblin in the padded armor look even slimmer than they really are.

Move action: move from the top of the stairs to being adjacent to W1. Vuthan then marks W1 vie Nature's Wrath.

Action: Vuthan will ready a thorn strike in case either goblin tries to run (or attack, if this level of flexibility is an option).
Attack [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

Dimers
2022-03-25, 10:04 AM
Reinforcing Vuthan's blockade, Gagan lays down a sheet of fire between the goblins and the door. He then turns to face the goblins, all teeth and glower.

Placed, then walked into the room behind Vuthan. Standard action is ignition creating the indicated zone. I don't think it penetrates the door, but I also think it's probably irrelevant mechanically unless those goblins have really good Athletics modifiers.

Starbuck_II
2022-03-25, 11:12 PM
Zishu moves by the two goblins and attacks B with his strongest move
"You aren't going anywhere big guy"

Minor action Oath of Enmity so I get two attack rolls, choosing higher so I don't waste this move
[roll0] Vs reflex
[roll1] Vs reflex

[roll2] Radiant damage
immobilized (save ends)

Each time it fails save, 7 radiant damage.
Aftereffect: The target is slowed (save ends).

If I miss (I hope not), Half damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

TurboGhast
2022-03-26, 12:40 AM
"Ah, someone who knows how to speak to an enemy," Vuthan flashes a nasty grin before blocking off the goblins from the western door.

"Any chance of explaining to us 'devils' what you've been doing here?" Vuthan pressed in heavily, his own bulk making the goblin in the padded armor look even slimmer than they really are.

Move action: move from the top of the stairs to being adjacent to W1. Vuthan then marks W1 vie Nature's Wrath.

Action: Vuthan will ready a thorn strike in case either goblin tries to run (or attack, if this level of flexibility is an option).
Attack [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

"Discussing how to get you out of our hair, which will get Kalarel to stop riding m-"

Zishu moves by the two goblins and attacks B with his strongest move
"You aren't going anywhere big guy"

Minor action Oath of Enmity so I get two attack rolls, choosing higher so I don't waste this move
[roll0] Vs reflex
[roll1] Vs reflex

[roll2] Radiant damage
immobilized (save ends)

Each time it fails save, 7 radiant damage.
Aftereffect: The target is slowed (save ends).

If I miss (I hope not), Half damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

"Buah!" Upon noticing that he's been immobilized, the goblin begins to panic. "Have mercy on me!"

The other goblin rolls his eyes. "This is the determination of Lord Orcus' faithful?"

(OOC: Awaiting Drang, Gagan, and Vuthan's turns, as well as somebody's reply. EDIT: Made a gameplay resolution error, see next post.)

sandmote
2022-03-28, 08:13 AM
(OOC: Awaiting Drang, Gagan, and Vuthan's turns, as well as somebody's reply.)Seems a bit odd to go again this early, but I guess we're counting fewer people?
"Let me get past your 'hair,' a bit," Vuthan replies, bearing down his sword on the goblin that isn't immobilized.

Edit: Ignore this stuff, it was based on the quote inside the previous spoiler, which has been corrected.

Standard: Weight of Earth [roll0]. On a hit, W1 takes [roll1] and is slowed until end of next turn. This shouldn't be enough to bloody the goblin, so I'm hoping he won't go too nuts.
Free Action: mark W1 again.

Insults levied at Vuthan this combat: 'devil'

TurboGhast
2022-03-28, 11:55 PM
Seems a bit odd to go again this early, but I guess we're counting fewer people?
"Let me get past your 'hair,' a bit," Vuthan replies, bearing down his sword on the goblin that isn't immobilized.

Standard: Weight of Earth [roll0]. On a hit, W1 takes [roll1] and is slowed until end of next turn. This shouldn't be enough to bloody the goblin, so I'm hoping he won't go too nuts.
Free Action: mark W1 again.

Insults levied at Vuthan this combat: 'devil'

(OOC: What I intended was simply an opponent talking between two PC turns within the first round of combat because they were asked a question. However, I messed up when editing in an indication of whose turn was next. It should have been "Waiting on Elmo, Sarathi, and Drang's turns, as well as somebody's reply". Sorry for the mistake.

Also, if you're passing your turn without taking actions because you believe that to be the most helpful course of action, be sure to post saying so, because otherwise I won't be able to tell whether you did.)

Archemist
2022-03-29, 12:36 AM
Elmo nocks an arrow and steps from behind the curtain, but lets the others do the talking. He’s not in the habit of being long-winded with goblins or cultists or goblin cultists.

Rakaydos
2022-03-30, 12:40 PM
(Sorry for the delay, new job)

Sarathi moves up to the intervening door, then lets out a snarl as she charges W1.

move up
Minor: Battle fury stance (-2 AC, +2 damage)
Charge+ gnoll racial [roll0] to hit W1, [roll1] damage
On hit: Iron Wolf Charge- [roll2] extra damage, [roll3] vs will on B, push 1 and -2 to B's attack rolls UEoNT. [roll4] vs will on W1, push 1 and -2 to W1's attack rolls UEoNT. 4 temp HP

Phantom Genius
2022-03-31, 03:46 AM
Drang attempts to drop a sacred flame on W1 and simultaneously give Sarathi 2 temp hp.

[roll0]
[roll1] damage

TurboGhast
2022-04-02, 06:18 PM
The smaller goblin attempts to slip their hand into one of the obese goblin's pockets, but gets noticed. This sparks an argument.

"Wesot, why were you trying to take my room key out of my pocket‽"

"Because you're shirking your duty as head of first floor security, I'm the one in command now."

"This is mutiny! I, Balgron the Fat, was chosen for the position by Kalarel for my faith in Lord Orcus, and since I can still speak I can still fulfill that role."

"I for one don't want to wait until the adventurers tie your mouth shut to start trying to get out of this bind."

Meanwhile, someone on the other side of the door seems to have noticed the racket, since they're knocking on the door.

Wesot's (W1) turn
Standard: Attempts to pick Balgron's pocket to acquire a key within, fails by enough to get noticed.

Balgron's (B) turn
EOT: Save against immobilization. [roll0] Failure, effect continues.

C1's turn
Move: Walk 4 spaces east.
Minor: Knock on the door.

Everyone will take their turn, including speaking in response to this development. What follows will be either switching to a pure negotiation scene or the enemy's combat turns, depending on your actions.

it doesn't open. Presumably, it's locked.

they shift one space away from the attacker.

Dimers
2022-04-05, 05:00 PM
"Orcus? That's all I needed to hear," Gagan says flatly. He levels his staff at the goblin who's still free to move and fires off a blast of flame.

I was waiting on the defenders to see how much further lockdown these two goblins might get, but it's time somebody got this round started.

Standard action elemental bolt at W1. [roll0] to hit Reflex 15, damage [roll1] plus [roll2].

sandmote
2022-04-06, 10:22 AM
"I fail to see how anything in another room is going to get you out of this particular bind. In response to the blast of flame, he levels his sword at the closer goblin. "Answers Later."

Standard Action: Weight of Earth: [roll0]. On a hit, deals [roll1] and slows the target until end of next turn.
Free Action: if W1 is still standing, Vuthan will mark it.

Phantom Genius
2022-04-07, 06:54 PM
Drang just did a double move.

TurboGhast
2022-04-09, 03:54 AM
Your attacks end their argument, and draw their attention back to you.

"If that door wasn't locked, then the rest of the goblins running first floor security would have made this into an actual fight. They're on high alert trying to protect us from you, but I didn't even consider that you'd find the secret door. Urgh... should save the wondering about my mistakes for after I survive them."

Balgron's taking the apparent defeat with far less decorum. Between the sobs, you can make out cries of "What do you want‽" and "Please don't kill me!".

"If he's blubbering too much, then I guess it falls to me to say it. The two of us surrender."

The knocking on the door has gotten louder, though.

All of the enemies who are in the room you're in have surrendered, so the battle is over enough that we should leave combat rounds. However, since you have a potential opponent literally knocking on the door to the room you're in, no short rest yet.

For similar reasons, each of you gain only 45 experience points here, since only two of the opponents currently on the battle map have surrendered. Note that I will give experience points for getting opponents out of your way by negotiating.

Starbuck_II
2022-04-09, 10:53 AM
"So, we got answers later that will help, how long before the other goblins get through?" Zishu moves near the door, ready to strike if they break though.

TurboGhast
2022-04-09, 02:30 PM
A closer listen reveals that the knocking is simply being performed by hand. Since they haven't started to try and break through, only knock loudly, you've got plenty of time to prepare. This could range from taking measures to help you win the next fight to talking to the losers of the previous.

sandmote
2022-04-09, 08:55 PM
Vuthan keeps his focus on the composed goblin. "Please to have your peace. You all merely live here, or are you here for a purpose?" His sword remains out.

TurboGhast
2022-04-10, 11:38 PM
As calm as the loser to a fight can be, Wesot replies, "Here for a purpose. Kalarel told Balgron it was his duty to defend the first floor, and since he didn't have the money to hire mercenaries he called in a big favor from me."

Dimers
2022-04-11, 08:25 PM
As the questioning begins, Gagan gets a length of rope from his pack and begins binding the blubbering Balgron. He looks up from the work to ask Wesot, "And whoever's on the other side of the door? Cultists, or people sensible enough to go away when facing a superior force?"

TurboGhast
2022-04-12, 12:00 AM
"Warriors that I was able to convince to join me in this effort. Not to brag, but I am well respected in my hometown." After taking a few breaths, Wesot continues, "Not cultists, but I know from experience they have a penchant for overestimating themselves."

sandmote
2022-04-13, 10:14 AM
Vuthan waves his sword at Balgron, keeping an eye on Wesot. "He appears to have left his position to you. Head of First floor security, you said? Tell me, would your warriors be up for letting some 'new friends go past?"

Phantom Genius
2022-04-13, 08:41 PM
Vuthan waves his sword at Balgron, keeping an eye on Wesot. "He appears to have left his position to you. Head of First floor security, you said? Tell me, would your warriors be up for letting some 'new friends go past?"

"Or you could let them know that Kalarel is about to die and they are never getting paid."

TurboGhast
2022-04-14, 11:24 AM

"If that's going to happen I'd prefer it takes the form of us just leaving, to prevent retribution from Kalarel in the short term." After taking a breath, Wesot continues, "If your quarrel is with worshippers of Orcus, then the only person you'd need to keep around is Balgron."

"Don't remind them!"

"Or you could let them know that Kalarel is about to die and they are never getting paid."

"While I was doing this as favor, that we're not getting paid is beginning to sting. I hold no loyalty to him, and you're watching the last traces of my loyalty to Balgron fade away."

Dimers
2022-04-17, 08:04 PM
"Don't remind them!"

"Keep quiet while the adults talk," Gagan growls behind Balgron. He puts his hand on the back of the goblin's neck.

"While I was doing this as favor, that we're not getting paid is beginning to sting. I hold no loyalty to him, and you're watching the last traces of my loyalty to Balgron fade away."

"Marvelous. If you can convince your fellows it's time to pack up and leave, I think we've no quarrel at all. What do you need to get started?" Gagan tries to keep his expression blank. He doesn't completely trust the goblin's word, but on the other hand, it may be worth the risk for a chance at clearing out multiple enemy combatants without more bloodshed.

sandmote
2022-04-18, 10:08 AM
With a grin, Vuthan flexes his muscles and to some extent his girth. "If you need any help taking thing with you, I'd be glad to lend a hand!"

TurboGhast
2022-04-18, 08:13 PM
"Then there's no reason not for us to try and dump the water of your earlier fights under the bridge, especially if you're going to help us move out." Glancing at Balgron, Wesot continues, "One look at what a blubbering fool he's being should throw all the displeasure caused by your fighting onto him. Any other questions before we get to it? Even if it's on a different topic."

Phantom Genius
2022-04-19, 01:50 AM
"Then there's no reason not for us to try and dump the water of your earlier fights under the bridge, especially if you're going to help us move out." Glancing at Balgron, Wesot continues, "One look at what a blubbering fool he's being should throw all the displeasure caused by your fighting onto him. Any other questions before we get to it? Even if it's on a different topic."

"What awaits us ahead?"

TurboGhast
2022-04-22, 12:52 AM
"Since you've been in the caves, the only part of the first floor you haven't been in is..." After shuddering, he continues, "the tombs. They're full of the corpses of those who lived here before this place decayed up, moving, and ready to make others join them in the afterlife. The people allowed to enter the second level do something to keep them off their backs when walking to the staircase there, but I'm not sure what."

"The only people on the second floor are the Kalarel's cult, and the hobgoblin mercenaries he hired. They're the sort that'll carry out the mission they've accepted no matter what. I haven't seen much of the cultists lately, and when I have they're either franticly searching for ingredients to a ritual, or dancing with glee about what the ritual will let them do in their god's name."

Hearing Zishu wonder about friendly fire as you talk about what to do with Balgron, Wesot adds, "I think the mercs would rather try and recapture him, and doubt whatever keeps the zombies from going after him will end merely because you capture him. The cultists might go after him if they think he betrayed them, but if not they'll want him back in the fold."

"If you're ready, we could continue talking as we begin packing up?"

sandmote
2022-04-22, 10:18 AM
"Might be nice to get the word out before you start picking anything up," Vuthan notes, gesturing toward the door from which we heard knocking. He moves close enough to be able to strike if Wesot tries anything while at the door, and then stands aside to avoid being a barrier to passage himself.

Move action: moves to location as shown on the map.
Standard Action: Readied action, not delayed turn: if Weset tries to bolt or something while standing within 2 squares of Vuthan, he'll employ thorn strike to pull the goblin closer. [roll0], and on a hit deals [roll1] damage and pulls 1 square.

Edit: hoping the nat 1 doesn't mean Vuthan spoils the peace himself.

Rakaydos
2022-04-24, 12:29 PM
Having little interest in the interrogation, Sarathi watched the door, ready to react should anyone on the other side get curious.

(Readied Crushing surge should someone open the door and enter the room.)

TurboGhast
2022-04-24, 03:51 PM
Wesot takes a key out of Balgron's pocket, then tries to pull him towards the door. However, he's nowhere near succeeding at that goal.

"A little help here? Oh, and just before I open the door you should spook him from dramatic effect."

(OOC: A check isn't required to successfully help, this is just an opportunity to interject added because going straight from here to Wesot explaining events to his allies felt like a jump too far to make in one post.)