PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Extend, Empower, and Maximize Spell on Spells with random duration

Hachristo
2021-07-03, 02:25 PM
In the very rare instance that a spell has a random duration (ie dependent on a dice roll), such as ghoul touch, how would you go about calculating the duration if you applied the Empower, Maximize, and Extend Spell feats onto it? In the the case of Ghoul Touch, the duration is 1d6+2 rounds. My guess is that the altered duration would be 8 + (1d6+2)*0.5 + (1d6+2)*2 rounds, since metamagic feats like empower and maximize apply their effects separately.

Troacctid
2021-07-03, 02:45 PM
With Extend, you would double the duration to 2d6+4 rounds. Empower and Maximize do nothing, since the spell has no variable numeric effects.

Tzardok
2021-07-03, 02:53 PM
I would guess that maximize and empower have an effect, as they affect all variable parameters from what I've read. I would say that the duration would be (6 (maximized) + 1d6*0.5 (empowered) + 2) *2 (extended).

Anthrowhale
2021-07-03, 03:40 PM
Whether or not the duration of an effect is a part of the effect seems to vary with interpretation. I'd go with 'yes' myself. If you go with yes, extend spell is fully cumulative with Empower and Maximize. Hence, Extended makes it (1d6+2)*2 then Maximize and Empower apply independently as normal, making it maximum of (1d6+2)*2 + 50% of (1d6+2)*2. Altogether, that's 18+1d6.

Zanos
2021-07-03, 06:29 PM
If the duration is variable, empower + maximize should apply.

Empower + Maximize has a specific exception that doesn't allow you to stack them in the most beneficial order, but if there is no exception you can stack in the most beneficial order.

So I would say apply maximize and empower, then double everything from extend. Basically, I agree with Anthrowhale.

Darg
2021-07-04, 01:42 AM
Rounds are not a real world unit of measurement. Therefore the multiplication would work through addition. 8 + [(1d6+2)*.5] + [1d6+2]. Minutes, hours, days would, however, actually double the maximized empowered spell duration.

Tzardok
2021-07-04, 02:08 AM
Why is everyone using empower to double the +2?

Troacctid
2021-07-04, 03:20 AM
Why is everyone using empower to double the +2?
Oh, that much is well established in the text of the feat itself; in the example, it multiplies the +1s from magic missile.

Tzardok
2021-07-04, 05:01 AM
That sounds incredibly stupid. If a non-random modifier on damage is multiplied, I could also argue that a straight amount of damage, for example by the harm spell, should also be empowered. Just claim that it does 1d0+10 damage/level and it becomes logical. I don't think that was intended.

InvisibleBison
2021-07-04, 05:43 AM
Maximize and Empower affect variable, numeric effects. The duration of a spell is not part of its effect, therefore Maximize and Empower don't apply.

Rounds are not a real world unit of measurement. Therefore the multiplication would work through addition. 8 + [(1d6+2)*.5] + [1d6+2]. Minutes, hours, days would, however, actually double the maximized empowered spell duration.

This is incorrect. Whether or not you use addition or multiplication is determined not by whether or not you're using a real world unit but whether or not you're using a real world value or an abstract value. Time is a real world value, so multiple doublings of time would combine using normal math.

sreservoir
2021-07-04, 06:20 AM
That sounds incredibly stupid. If a non-random modifier on damage is multiplied, I could also argue that a straight amount of damage, for example by the harm spell, should also be empowered. Just claim that it does 1d0+10 damage/level and it becomes logical. I don't think that was intended.

Harm falls under "spells without random variables", even though "variable, numeric effects" doesn't mention anything about requiring randomness. Arguably a spell with any random variables gets all its variable, numeric effects increased, whether or not they're random...

Anthrowhale
2021-07-04, 09:22 AM
Rounds are not a real world unit of measurement.
PHB page 5 says:

Each round represents 6 seconds in the game world.
implying the round is not an 'abstract value' for the purpose of the multiplication-is-addition rule.

Darg
2021-07-04, 09:22 AM
Maximize and Empower affect variable, numeric effects. The duration of a spell is not part of its effect, therefore Maximize and Empower don't apply.

Not true. There are plenty of effects that don't have their duration specified in the duration line. It's actually pretty hit or miss for touch spells. Many of them have the durations in the description and the duration line.

The duration is definitely part of the effect as it tells you how long the effect lasts. A perfect example of this is the power word: pain spell.

InvisibleBison
2021-07-04, 10:57 AM
Not true. There are plenty of effects that don't have their duration specified in the duration line. It's actually pretty hit or miss for touch spells. Many of them have the durations in the description and the duration line.

A spell's effect is what the spell does. A spell's duration is how long it lasts. They're different concepts, regardless of where the duration is written.

The duration is definitely part of the effect as it tells you how long the effect lasts. A perfect example of this is the power word: pain spell.

How is the duration of Power Word: Pain part of its effect? The effect of PWP is "take 1d6 damage, plus 1d6 damage per round". The duration is not part of the effect.

Albanymusicfund
2021-07-04, 03:59 PM
A can of worms you have opened

KillianHawkeye
2021-07-04, 04:52 PM

You can claim that harm does 1d0+10 per level, but it doesn't say that. That's just nonsense. :smallconfused: