PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft meets Eberron: The Dread realm of Cyre.

oxybe
2021-07-03, 11:13 PM
While we're not sure exactly what caused the cannon Day of Mourning... we, as DMs, can take liberties all we want. I'm cashing in that voucher, having been inspired by this: http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-50216-ravenloft/

The way I see it, Queen Dannel of Cyre caused the Mourning. The exact specifics I haven't hammered out yet, but I'm figuring "something, something Khyber dragonshard nuke goes awry". Wracked with guilt she's now the new darklord of Cyre, ruling with an iron fist from Metrol as she tries desperately to get her people out of the mess she created.

Keith's idea was to start the PCs Pre-Mourning as regular citizens of Cyre, conscripts in the army, mercs out on a job or just good 'ol adventurin' folk who one day see their world consumed by a thick mist then... it passes. Bit of a weird weather, but whatever. For the first bit, nothing's too weird but then whispers of impassible mists at the border start being passed around.

Ideas for adventures, rumours or encounters just started coming to me"

Armies clash and men fall, only to wake up the next morning to fight again in a perpetual war.
Maddened magewrights begin experimenting on living creatures to make weapons to end the war.
A mysterious bard ensorcelled a town and makes people perform for him.
Something is stalking a creation forge at night, with whispers of mangled warforged assulting a night guard and killing their replacement, then disappearing.
a decommissioned Creation Forges suddenly awakens but nothing seems to be produced.
A lightning rail will rarely show up at a station, bringing in visitors from away and a culture unknown to cyre.
A ghostly lighting rail will be seen stopping at an old, derelict station, whisking away the souls of the dead and any poor living soul that hears it's horn's unearthly wail.
Shifters begin losing themselves and going full were-beast in times of stress or phases of the moon.
A group of Silver Flame priests go full zealot inquisition when they lose connection to the flame.
A changeling in Metrol is going all jack the ripper and is causing a bit of panic.
The beauty and artistry of Cyre is slowly becoming degenerate, making way to vice, decadence and sin.
While sport and games are still played topside, under the Metrol Arena bloodsport is being held for the amusement of it's villainous patrons.

In addition to this madness I'm debating going full throwback and retrofitting Eberron in 2nd ed. I've found a homebrew 1e Artificier and I'm pretty sure i can work in Dragonmarks as NWPs. It shouldn't be too hard to locate warforged, shifter and changeling analogs for 2nd ed. I'm still not certain how ambitious I want to be with this, I'll probably focus just on Metrol and it's outskirts for now, but the ambitious man in me wants to do a full Cyre write up.

I've looked around and seen the idea tossed about, but haven't found any particular project I could use as a baseline so if anyone here is aware of a 2e Eberron, I'm all ears.

Spriteless
2021-07-04, 09:35 PM
>I've looked around and seen the idea tossed about, but haven't found any particular project I could use as a baseline so if anyone here is aware of a 2e Eberron, I'm all ears.

I've heard LowFantasyGaming.com has free rules, an artificer class, and an active community. But I heard it on reddit. After checking, I don't see the artificer in the main free PDF, but I do see it as a free add on in the products section of their website.

It might be a place to start. : )

oxybe
2021-07-04, 11:02 PM
i'll check it out as a place to start. thanks!