PDA

View Full Version : First Level Var Human and Fey Touched feat

Cyclops08
2021-07-04, 11:54 AM
OK. A 1st level warlock has but ONE spell to cast. If he takes Fey Touched feat from Tashas, he gets Misty step, a second level spell. It says he can cast that once per day.
BUT.
Misty Step is a second level spell. Can he cast that at first level, or must he wait until 3rd level to cast misty step?

ProsecutorGodot
2021-07-04, 11:59 AM
OK. A 1st level warlock has but ONE spell to cast. If he takes Fey Touched feat from Tashas, he gets Misty step, a second level spell. It says he can cast that once per day.
BUT.
Misty Step is a second level spell. Can he cast that at first level, or must he wait until 3rd level to cast misty step?

Your level doesn't prohibit you from casting spells, a first level character given a ring of wishes will be able to cast wish. The key here is that the feat gives you a free casting of the spell, regardless of your spellcasting ability.

The only restrictions like this, that I can recall, are for spell scrolls. They're not strictly called level limitations, but the fact that to successfully cast a scroll with no check requires you to be able to cast spells of that level (and have it on your class spell list) is a soft level cap.

Chad.e.clark
2021-07-04, 07:31 PM
You can't cast a 2nd level spell with a 1st level slot.

With Fey Touched, you get 1 "slotless" casting of Misty Step, 1 "slotless" casting of whatever 1st Level spell (dont remember school restrictions), and both become known spells for you, so you can cast with available spell slots as well.

Cyclops08
2021-07-04, 08:09 PM
You can't cast a 2nd level spell with a 1st level slot.

With Fey Touched, you get 1 "slotless" casting of Misty Step, 1 "slotless" casting of whatever 1st Level spell (dont remember school restrictions), and both become known spells for you, so you can cast with available spell slots as well.
Let me get this straight.
I can cast a Hex spell and a free Misty Step (once each) at first, but if I want another MS spell I have to wait till third to use a slot for it...right?

ProsecutorGodot
2021-07-04, 08:14 PM
Let me get this straight.
I can cast a Hex spell and a free Misty Step (once each) at first, but if I want another MS spell I have to wait till third to use a slot for it...right?

That is Correct.

Cyclops08
2021-07-04, 09:36 PM
That is Correct.
Thanks. Things are a bit confusing when you filter them through a warlock.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-07-05, 12:14 AM
Funny thing, what you are describing is exactly what another player in our group is doing for his character. Must be a good idea.

TheMango55
2021-07-05, 12:22 AM
Think about it this way, a cleric gets his domain spell list at level 1.

A life cleric knows how to cast Raise Dead at level 1. He just can’t do it yet.

Arkhios
2021-07-05, 12:41 AM
Thanks. Things are a bit confusing when you filter them through a warlock.

The same would apply even if you were not a warlock. You would still have to wait until your class would give you more appropriate level spell slots.
The good thing about Warlock is that you at least get your spent spell slots back on a short rest.

Raise Dead is a spell available for all clerics, so you get the knowledge of that spell regardless of your domain. Otherwise, this is a good allegory.

ff7hero
2021-07-05, 02:18 AM
Funny thing, what you are describing is exactly what another player in our group is doing for his character. Must be a good idea.

Variant Human or Custom Lineage (Fey Touched) has become my default Caster race choice since Tasha's. Free Misty Step and [Hex/Gift of Alacrity/Dissonant Whispers/Command/Bless/etc] is so good. I'd probably take Fey Touched as a full feat (no ASI boost), although Shadow Touched doesn't clear that bar so I get why Fey Touched is a half feat.

luuma
2021-07-05, 04:06 AM
Variant Human or Custom Lineage (Fey Touched) has become my default Caster race choice since Tasha's. Free Misty Step and [Hex/Gift of Alacrity/Dissonant Whispers/Command/Bless/etc] is so good. I'd probably take Fey Touched as a full feat (no ASI boost), although Shadow Touched doesn't clear that bar so I get why Fey Touched is a half feat.

It's also alarming on martial classes because of hex - like, monk goes off the chain

Chronos
2021-07-05, 08:25 AM
Although, most features that give you one casting of a higher-than-first-level spell without using a slot (such as a tiefling's or drow's inherent casting) specify that you only get the higher-level spell once you reach an appropriate level. Presumably, they left this off of the feat because most characters can't get a feat until fourth level... but they maybe ought to have included it to account for normal humans (I call them "normal", because let's face it, how many people actually choose the sort of human with +1 to every ability score?).

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-05, 09:47 AM

Actually, not quite true.

Each domain has a list of spells—its domain spells—that you gain at the cleric levels noted in the domain description. Once you gain a domain spell, you always have it prepared, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day.

You don't actually "know" raise dead until 9th level, regardless of which domain you are (as it's a 5th level spell).

RedMage125
2021-07-06, 01:13 PM
Although, most features that give you one casting of a higher-than-first-level spell without using a slot (such as a tiefling's or drow's inherent casting) specify that you only get the higher-level spell once you reach an appropriate level. Presumably, they left this off of the feat because most characters can't get a feat until fourth level... but they maybe ought to have included it to account for normal humans (I call them "normal", because let's face it, how many people actually choose the sort of human with +1 to every ability score?).

I think Misty Step isn't a severe as those others. DMG Eladrin get it 1/day at level 1 as a racial. MToF eladrin get an even better version as a racial trait.