PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Twilight Cleric from T1-T2 (SKT): a journal

prototype00
2021-07-05, 01:37 AM
So I’m joining one of my friend’s AL campaign, specifically Storm King’s Thunder, starting this week.

And since Twilight Cleric has all this Sturm Und Drang surrounding it (“Ban it!”, “It’s OP”, “Think of the children!”) I thought I’d give it a whirl, it being completely AL legal and all that, and see what the fuss is all about.

Playing Painbearer Ransom, a Half -Elf Ilmatari penitent, going for that sweet Booming Blade/Crusher synergy (Wielding a bloody Flagellant’s flail, naturally) with as much AC as I can stack on, so don’t anyone accuse me of holding back.

Thoughts to follow…

MaxWilson
2021-07-05, 01:54 AM
Remember to Warding Bond in order to double the effect of your THPs.

prototype00
2021-07-05, 02:02 AM
Remember to Warding Bond in order to double the effect of your THPs.

Yes, excellent. Play into all the “willing martyrdom” angles.

da newt
2021-07-05, 01:03 PM
Care to post your full build?

LudicSavant
2021-07-05, 02:15 PM
Playing Painbearer Ransom, a Half -Elf Ilmatari penitent, going for that sweet Booming Blade/Crusher synergy (Wielding a bloody Flagellant’s flail, naturally) with as much AC as I can stack on, so don’t anyone accuse me of holding back.

Personally I generally wouldn't go for Crusher, for reasons similar to these (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25093965&postcount=1165). Even if the idea is to disengage for free, that's not actually going to work on giants with reach. Or if more than one enemy is in melee with you. Or if they are just as happy attacking from range as melee.

MaxWilson
2021-07-05, 06:05 PM
Personally I generally wouldn't go for Crusher, for reasons similar to these (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25093965&postcount=1165). Even if the idea is to disengage for free, that's not actually going to work on giants with reach. Or if more than one enemy is in melee with you. Or if they are just as happy attacking from range as melee.

Most giants have 10' reach, so as long as you hit them from 10' away with your own reach weapon, moving them 5' would indeed get you out of their reach... but unfortunately Crusher can't move enemies two sizes larger than you. Otherwise this could work.

Overall though I second the distaste for Crusher on a cleric. You aren't in a position to make it worth the opportunity cost.

LudicSavant
2021-07-05, 06:26 PM
Most giants have 10' reach, so as long as you hit them from 10' away with your own reach weapon, moving them 5' would indeed get you out of their reach... but unfortunately Crusher can't move enemies two sizes larger than you. Otherwise this could work.

Overall though I second the distaste for Crusher on a cleric. You aren't in a position to make it worth the opportunity cost.

That, and using a reach weapon makes the opportunity costs even worse (BB naturally has a 5 foot range, Clerics generally wanna use a shield, etc).

prototype00
2021-07-05, 06:28 PM
I concede the cons of Crusher, but would you still take Booming Blade?

Chronic
2021-07-05, 09:34 PM
In my opinion twilight clerics suck at melee. They get very little out of booming Blade. They are support at heart, probably close/mid range but not in melee to preserve their concentration.
A melee one can be played for sure, but I would not call it optimized.

Sception
2021-07-05, 10:41 PM
Yeah, the weapon using features on teilight are a distraction and a trap. You might bop things with a metal stick a few times at lower levels, but you're more there for Bless, Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians, that busted channel divinity, maybe warding bond, etc. Honestly, once you've got an ongoing effect or two up, dodging might be a better use of actions than cantrips or weapon attacks.

LordShade
2021-07-06, 12:41 AM
Booming blade is a straight damage increase for any class that has 1 attack per round. As a half-elf you are trading deception/persuasion for it. Do you plan to be in melee a lot? Then yes, it's probably worth it (especially if you also take Warcaster).

prototype00
2021-07-06, 01:03 AM
Booming blade is a straight damage increase for any class that has 1 attack per round. As a half-elf you are trading deception/persuasion for it. Do you plan to be in melee a lot? Then yes, it's probably worth it (especially if you also take Warcaster).

Y’know, with heavy armor, shields and martial weapons as well as regenerating THP, I thought a good use of it would be as off-tank or main-tank, but I’ve seen suggestions in this thread that to…use the dodge action and I assume mean looks while maintaining concentration on Spirit Guardians… is a better use of my time (which even if I did believe that were true does not really shout “Heroic!” Or failing that “Overpowered!” a word that people like to fling around with relation to Twilight Clerics)

So, I dunno?

Chronic
2021-07-06, 04:14 PM
A straight damage increase on a very poor martial chassis makes for very poor damage in the end. And it require ressources that could be invested elsewhere, and will require to be in melee, which isn't the favored placement of the base classe. You sacrifice a lot to get little. Ergo, it's not optimal.
At the end of the day people should play what they like but my understanding was that the player want to get the most out of this character.

Sception
2021-07-08, 04:48 PM
Y’know, with heavy armor, shields and martial weapons as well as regenerating THP, I thought a good use of it would be as off-tank or main-tank, but I’ve seen suggestions in this thread that to…use the dodge action and I assume mean looks while maintaining concentration on Spirit Guardians… is a better use of my time (which even if I did believe that were true does not really shout “Heroic!” Or failing that “Overpowered!” a word that people like to fling around with relation to Twilight Clerics)

So, I dunno?

If you're maintainging your channel divinity, spirit guardians, and spiritual weapon all at the same time then you're already doing an awful lot, and a cantrip or weapon attack isn't going to do much more. Booming Blade does indeed help there, and is probably worth having as an option once you have warcaster, but before you have warcaster making sure you don't drop concentration on bless or spirit guardians is a bigger deal.

And you will absolutely be tanking like a champion without making a single attack at all. With the kinds of effects you'll be generating, enemies will already be plenty motivated to attack you rather than your allies, so imposing disadvantage on those attacks is absolutely a competitive use of your actions. And if they don't attack you, then good.

Besides, half the point of a tank is to concentrate attacks at a single target, and that's literally the opposite of what you want enemies to be doing when your CD is up. The more you can get them to spread their attacks around, the better. Throw warding bond up on the most vulnerable party member to force some damage distribution and you're good.