PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Strahd with Cthulhu

dmhelp
2021-07-06, 12:44 AM
Has anyone run CoS with yog-sothothery, dread, insanity, etc?

I was trying to google and only found people converting it to call of cthulhu instead of running 5e with the cthulhu supplement.

Any experiences?

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-07-06, 02:48 AM
Well current rules and items in 5e already accomplish most of this. There are Lovecraftian type creatures with Intellect Devours, Star Spawn, etc. The DMG also has rules regarding long term and short term madness. These elements certainly can fit into CoS quite well depending in what way you want to deploy them.

dmhelp
2021-07-06, 06:40 AM
I was talking about the sandy peterson cthulhu handbook. If anyone has incorporated any of that….

Grod_The_Giant
2021-07-06, 09:48 AM
I dunno about the mechanics, but I don't think the thematics would work very well. Lovecraftian horror is centered around insignificance--the dawning realization that everything you know and love is nothing more than a blip in a cosmic hellscape beyond all possibility of human comprehension. Curse of Strahd's gothic horror is pretty much the exact opposite. It's all about humanity, about how normal people can be twisted into monsters. Strahd isn't a mysterious alien horror destroying Barovia by sheer proximity, he's a tyrant acting out his twisted version of romance.

noob
2021-07-06, 09:53 AM
Furthermore the place is a punishment for strahd who have no hope of escaping and which is guaranteed to fail while the Cthulhu mythos is heavily based on mysterious creatures that are not being punished and that might get in/escape and which are not imbued with failure so it is one more way it is radically opposed: you would not keep anything from the scenario if you wanted to replace strahd by an elder ancient.
The Cthulhu mythos would just not be the same if the elder ancients were guaranteed to fail anything they try to do due to their human weaknesses and to stay forever trapped in their corners.