PDA

View Full Version : Dragonlance race question - "Ogre subtype"

schreier
2021-07-07, 10:07 AM
I'm playing an Irda - which is "humanoid" with subtypes of "ogre" and "shapechanger"

Humanoid and shapechanger are easily found - but I just realized I have no idea what to do with the Ogre subtype. Does it exist anywhere, or did it exist? Should I ignore it? In the same book, they have full-fledged Ogres, which are Giants with no subtype.

I'm guessing ignore it, but just wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!

Telonius
2021-07-07, 10:14 AM
What's the source book for Irda? If it's defined anywhere, it would be defined there (likely in the monster section, or the statblock). If it's not defined there, it's a descriptor without any defined mechanical effect.

schreier
2021-07-07, 10:34 AM
What's the source book for Irda? If it's defined anywhere, it would be defined there (likely in the monster section, or the statblock). If it's not defined there, it's a descriptor without any defined mechanical effect.

There are two variants of them - one in the Campaign setting (which is official), and one in Races of Ansalon that is vastly superior and cooler but not official.

I scanned both books, and did not find the Ogre subtype detailed. I'll just ignore it for now I guess

AnimeTheCat
2021-07-07, 10:36 AM
There are two variants of them - one in the Campaign setting (which is official), and one in Races of Ansalon that is vastly superior and cooler but not official.

I scanned both books, and did not find the Ogre subtype detailed. I'll just ignore it for now I guess

Is it not in the glossary? The Monster Manual defines all of the subtypes in the glossary section, so maybe there?

Wintermoot
2021-07-07, 10:41 AM
Irda are a mess in the mythology of Dragonlance/Krynn, god bless them.

In that mythos, the Irda were a beautiful race of blue skinned humanoids blessed by the Gods. Some books mark them as the progenitors of the monstrous Ogres but never (to my knowledge) explain how.

Eventually they were killed out except for a small faction on some Island to the South of the action in the novels.

In my head-cannon, I link them more toward Ogre Magi than Ogres. They are inherently magical, blue skinned, etc.

As far as game-term use. I think its just there so that you know that anything that affects "ogres" will affect them as well. Such as favored enemy Ogre or some Ogre only magic items or feats, if such exist. I don't think it has any meaning beyond that.

Honestly, though, they come across as their own thing, unrelated to standard D&D ogres and more related to Ogres from traditional mythology who are usually shapeshifters and magical (like from Puss and Boots)

schreier
2021-07-07, 11:10 AM
I think the origin was described like this:

The original species, the high ogre, was the first born of Takhisis and beloved. They kept slaves and were narcicists of the highest level (kinda drow-like I think). Then, Igraine's daughter was saved by a human in a mine, and he saw the "light"

He freed the slaves and redeemed.

Over time, the other high ogre's internal ugliness changed their appearance to match as they regressed.

The Irda stayed on their island redeemed, and were blessed by Mishakal with shapechanging to stay hidden.

https://dragonlance.fandom.com/wiki/High_Ogre

Fouredged Sword
2021-07-07, 11:51 AM
Irda are a mess in the mythology of Dragonlance/Krynn, god bless them.

In that mythos, the Irda were a beautiful race of blue skinned humanoids blessed by the Gods. Some books mark them as the progenitors of the monstrous Ogres but never (to my knowledge) explain how.

Eventually they were killed out except for a small faction on some Island to the South of the action in the novels.

In my head-cannon, I link them more toward Ogre Magi than Ogres. They are inherently magical, blue skinned, etc.

As far as game-term use. I think its just there so that you know that anything that affects "ogres" will affect them as well. Such as favored enemy Ogre or some Ogre only magic items or feats, if such exist. I don't think it has any meaning beyond that.

Honestly, though, they come across as their own thing, unrelated to standard D&D ogres and more related to Ogres from traditional mythology who are usually shapeshifters and magical (like from Puss and Boots)
There is a whole book about them. God, it was something like 15 years ago that I read it. They have the typical divine comeuppance story where the vast majority of the powerful and amoral race is turned into ugly monsters while the few moral ones remained the way they are. Big blue magically powerful and can now shapeshift to hide their nature.

Generally subtypes let you act as if you are X for spells and effects that target X, and qualify for things as if you are X.

schreier
2021-07-07, 10:34 PM
There is a whole book about them. God, it was something like 15 years ago that I read it. They have the typical divine comeuppance story where the vast majority of the powerful and amoral race is turned into ugly monsters while the few moral ones remained the way they are. Big blue magically powerful and can now shapeshift to hide their nature.

Generally subtypes let you act as if you are X for spells and effects that target X, and qualify for things as if you are X.

That makes sense - thanks!

Thurbane
2021-07-07, 10:43 PM
I asked this recently, seems to be relevant here:

Q 352

Is there a Gith or Githyanki subtype, for races such as Githyanki?

Q 352 B

Does every humanoid race have a racial subtype?

Here is the relevant rule.

Various subtypes further differentiate creatures of the humanoid type. These subtypes include the likes of dwarf, elf, human, orc, and so on. Although a creature of a specific race might not have a subtype noted in its statistics, it has the subtype associated with its race.

So, for instance, a Ranger could select Humanoid (ogre) as a Favored Enemy.

schreier
2021-07-08, 07:20 AM
I asked this recently, seems to be relevant here:

So, for instance, a Ranger could select Humanoid (ogre) as a Favored Enemy.

Thanks! Definitely an answer