PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Spore Druid 2/???

Ogun
2021-07-07, 08:12 PM
One recent character was Mossytoes, a Dwarven Nature Cleric.
I liked being durable,buffing my party and hitting things with a magic stick but I found I lacked in the nature department.
In addition, getting the most optimal armor proved impossible.
So I came up with a Warforged Spore Druid , for durability, hitting stuff, buffing and healing, nature stuff on the side.
I'm not sure I should go SAD with stick and board, or try something else.
Life Cleric1 gives goodberry tricks is attractive, but potions and scrolls just cost gold, which I will have little use for otherwise.
Monk1 or Barbarian1 seem like they might be traps.
Strait Druid gets me to an ASI sooner.
Is there a feat that would give me a bonus attack while wielding a Shield and Stick?

micahaphone
2021-07-07, 08:43 PM
Shield and stick bonus attack is available with Polearm Master, but I'm assuming you're using your first turn's bonus action to cast shillelleigh. shillelegy. shillelagh.

Spore druid is definitely meant for staying up close. Monk 1 would get you unarmored defense but I'd definitely talk to your DM about how to handle druids & armor vs the warforged integrated armor feature. Personally if I were your DM I'd let you fashion/grow body plates for yourself that count as medium armor. But I'm not your DM, so talk it over. Monk 1 would also get you every turn a BA unarmed strike.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of multiclassing casters, it feels rough to be behind a spell level compared to your allies. But a splash of nature druid would make you even tankier, it is true.

Ogun
2021-07-08, 01:11 PM
Researching it more, I'm leaning towards the Spore Druid 2/Life Cleric1.
The Goodberry trick is bread and butter but Bless is my jam.
Minimal amount of disruption to spell casting, maximum added value.
The 4th level ASI will either be Dual Wielding or Beast Speech.
Totally opposite directions, both with thier own kind of fun.
For background I want to see if I can re-skin the Retainers from the Noble background into nature spirits.
They would show up as birds or squirrels or arthropods, whatever would be appropriate for the environment.
Any sign of danger, they would vanish.
With an effort that includes expending a use of wildshape, he could summon a more reliable and less flighty version, in the form of a familer.
Animal friendship and speak with animals could add to the hive/flock/what ever.
Charmed snakes could be particularly easy to transport.

Emongnome777
2021-07-10, 10:38 AM
The life cleric dip does get you the Goodberry trick, extra cantrips and a few more spells prepped. You'll lose out on gaining access to spells of the same level as your highest spell slots every other level, so that's a bit of a hit (waiting until 6th to get Conjure Animals for instance). Also delays your ASIs one level forever.

Personally, I'm not a fan of dips, so my biased opinion is stick with spore druid. It's a good class / subclass and will be fun.

As for your feats, I don't think Eldritch Adept (Beast Speech) is worth it. You can just take Speak with Animals as a prepared spell and use a ritual. Saving a single spell known and not having to spend 10 minutes to cast a spell is a low return for an ASI. Dual wielder means you're probably committed to raising Dex/Str and not using Shillelagh. Polearm Master lets you use Shillelagh for a Wis build (take a round to set up). Both feats use your bonus action to make an additional attack, but PAM gets you a +1 to AC (if you use a non-magical shield) over DW and more damage with the bonus action attack (+mod to damage).

Just my thoughts here. Take 'em or leave 'em.

Person_Man
2021-07-10, 06:54 PM
For me, the really interesting class ability for Spore Druid is the 6th level Infestation ability where you can reanimate a creature that dies near you into a zombie with 1 hit point for 1 hour as a Reaction Wis mod times per day. This is somewhat helpful in combat in that the zombie can act as a blocking dummy and soak up the next attack from an enemy. But from a roleplaying perspective it could be even more fun. Kill the captain of a unit, Infest as a Reaction, and then have the zombie captain order the other soldiers to stand down. Or have him act like a hostage while a party member holds a weapon to his throat and beg the others to surrender. Or have a guard you just killed walk you into the castle (with you in his pocket Wildshaped as a rat or whatever).

Now obviously anyone with Animate Dead (which is also on the Spore Druid's spell list) or illusions can pull similar stunts. But you can do so as a Reaction in combat, which I think opens up a lot of interesting options others might not be able to do.

Wraith
2021-07-11, 07:11 AM
Is there a feat that would give me a bonus attack while wielding a Shield and Stick?

Great Weapon Master (If you drop one target to 0hp you can make bonus attack at another)

Mage Slayer and Sentinel (Significantly increase your odds of making an attack of opportunity)

Polearm Master (Using a quarterstaff one-handed, it lets you make a bonus attack with the other end and lets you make AoO against people who approach you)

carkl3000
2021-07-11, 05:17 PM
I think 1 level of arcana cleric works great with a Spores Druid for the blade cantrips. Magic missile and detect magic always prepared is an ok addition.

If you want to stay in melee range I think having war caster is a must...

EDIT: And you can prepare a nice list of 1st level cleric spells that are useful for just about the entire game (Bless, Bane, Guiding bolt, Inflict Wounds, healing word, shield of faith...)