PDA

View Full Version : Does A Magic The Gathering TTRPG Exist?

JNAProductions
2021-07-08, 06:45 PM
See title. Pretty self-explanatory.

Lord Raziere
2021-07-08, 06:51 PM
Not from what I can find.

I'd use M&M3e for it, honestly. planeswalking would be a very cheap power in that system and what is possible to play across so many planes is on par with superhero universes.

Amidus Drexel
2021-07-08, 06:54 PM
"Dungeons & Dragons Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica" was somewhat recent (published by WOTC). I don't know if there's any official Magic-setting D&D content prior to that.

I haven't heard of a standalone system for it; if there is one, it probably wasn't professionally published.

Drakeburn
2021-07-08, 07:50 PM
"Dungeons & Dragons Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica" was somewhat recent (published by WOTC). I don't know if there's any official Magic-setting D&D content prior to that.

There's Mythic Odysseys of Theros that was published 2 years after Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica.

Anymage
2021-07-08, 07:56 PM
Other people have covered that WotC has translated MtG worlds into D&D settings. I'll just ask if setting books are what you're looking for, or if you're after the whole experience of being a planeswalker. That might work as a planescape hack, but I can't think of many settings where casual worldwalking is a basic PC ability.

False God
2021-07-09, 12:14 AM
Are you looking for a system that models being a planeswalker?
-there really isn't one. I would argue a supers system might be ideal in that it allows you to pick-and-choose abilities and flavor your character more thematically than D&D typically allows.

Are you looking for a specific setting that utilizes MTG lore?
WotC has produced Ravnica officially, and a couple guides to some of the other planes. Otherwise, you're pretty much left taking the cards, figuring out how to translate them into monsters, and doing it yourself.

Are you looking for a TTRPG that emulates the card-game mechanics?
I don't really think there is one.

Drascin
2021-07-09, 12:17 AM
Basically, the thing is that Magic has covered a LOT of tones, so that what you want to play would rather determine what game you should use.

Like, you probably shouldn't use the same game for a party of exorcists in Innistrad as you'd use for Monster Hunter advebtures in Ikoria as you'd use for a game about an all out war with Phyrexia.

Lord Raziere
2021-07-09, 12:48 AM
Basically, the thing is that Magic has covered a LOT of tones, so that what you want to play would rather determine what game you should use.

Like, you probably shouldn't use the same game for a party of exorcists in Innistrad as you'd use for Monster Hunter advebtures in Ikoria as you'd use for a game about an all out war with Phyrexia.

Exactly my point. Mt:G covers a lot of things, lot of tones, settings, power levels, and so on. its one of those settings where you have to figure out where exactly your starting from and direction your going before you can play anything, there is no universal entry point that just gets you in, that makes it real flexible and perfect for systems like Gurps, Strands of Fate, supers systems which often have sliding scales of power levels you can adjust, but not really for anything else. and personally I feel the five color system needs to be emulated real well for it to count, like if its just slapping the colors on top of some other mechanic like DnD magic, I'm not even interested.

Dienekes
2021-07-09, 12:54 AM
Some time ago I saw a homebrew MTG TTRPG.

Instead of attributes like Str, Dex, ect. It was just the color wheel, and your dedication to each would provide different spells available for you, with various martial abilities essentially set up as requiring one of the Color Wheel stats. I think something not unlike D&D Power Attack was Red, and so on. Which essentially allowed the player to play essentially any kind of martial or spellcaster all using the same system based on the attributes.

I never played but it seemed interesting enough. I was unable to find it googling around though. So it may be lost to time. I may try again tomorrow, if you're interested in such a system.

JNAProductions
2021-07-09, 07:26 AM
Some time ago I saw a homebrew MTG TTRPG.

Instead of attributes like Str, Dex, ect. It was just the color wheel, and your dedication to each would provide different spells available for you, with various martial abilities essentially set up as requiring one of the Color Wheel stats. I think something not unlike D&D Power Attack was Red, and so on. Which essentially allowed the player to play essentially any kind of martial or spellcaster all using the same system based on the attributes.

I never played but it seemed interesting enough. I was unable to find it googling around though. So it may be lost to time. I may try again tomorrow, if you're interested in such a system.

Sounds cool. If you do find it, let us know, though don't worry if you can't.

Thank you all for posting, by the way-despite a lack of major results, I do appreciate it! :)

Anonymouswizard
2021-07-09, 10:18 AM
WotC/Hasbro owns both D&D and Magic, and is rather heavily pushing the former as the RPG of the latter. As many MtG settings have full books as classic D&D settings, and there's additional 'Plane Shift' pdfs.

Sadly D&D is pretty bad at being a Magic RPG. Better at post-Time Spiral stuff because Planeswalkers are now PC-appropriate, but you'd need a pretty major rewrite to do the Colour Wheel properly.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-07-09, 11:24 AM
and personally I feel the five color system needs to be emulated real well for it to count, like if its just slapping the colors on top of some other mechanic like DnD magic, I'm not even interested.
You could do something with Fate Accelerated, maybe? It would be pretty easy to replace the six Approaches (clever, careful, flashy, forceful, quick, sneaky) with with five colors. And there are some vague stabs at rules for Pokémon (https://fate-srd.com/fate-codex/how-train-your-mutant-fire-dog-monster-training-fate-accelerated), if you want to emphasize the summoning aspect.

Though come to think of it, that's probably the first question you need to ask: are you looking for "plane-hopping super-wizards," or do you want to draw more heavily on "summoning an army" aspect of the card game?

RandomPeasant
2021-07-09, 11:41 AM
Sadly D&D is pretty bad at being a Magic RPG. Better at post-Time Spiral stuff because Planeswalkers are now PC-appropriate, but you'd need a pretty major rewrite to do the Colour Wheel properly.

I don't think you need a re-write, you just need to write classes that follow the color wheel (and have the names of MTG classes like Archer and Shaman). It doesn't really matter if the Ogre the PCs fight is Red-aligned or not, unless you're going out of your way to write a bunch of color-hoser abilities for PCs to have.