PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4e Cynocephaly 4e (Conversion of 5e Homebrew Dog-Folk)

sandmote
2021-07-08, 10:13 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Y6mytarf8xUT)

I'd previously written up a race of dog-folk, which can be found here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?625136-Cynocephali-Dog-folk-for-Dog-Jokes). One of the racial traits was taken from the 4e minotaur, so I figured I'd convert the dog-folk to 4e as well. I think they'd fit well as beastfolk for a non-monstrous campaign, although I suppose they have some awkward overlap with shifters.

Racial Traits
Average Height: 4' 7"-5' 5"
Average Weight: 115-140 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Strength or Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Nature
Cynocephaly Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the shortbow.
Earth Walk: You ignore difficult terrain that is rubble, uneven stone, or an earthen construction.
Vitality: You have one additional healing surge.
Hurler: When you use a thrown weapon such as a dagger or a javelin, increase both the normal range and the long range by 2 squares.
Eager: You gain a +2 bonus to initiative.

Thrill of the Hunt Cynocephaly Racial Power
In the moment of battle, your excitement propels you in all directions.
Encounter
Minor Action ♦ Personal
Effect: Move up to your speed -2.

Accurate Archer
Prerequisite: Cynocephaly, rogue

Benefit: You can use any bow with Sneak Attack or any rogue power that normally requires a crossbow.

Defensive Climber
Prerequisite: Cynocephaly, Goliath, or Kobold

Benefit: You do not grant combat advantage while climbing.

Herdsman
Prerequisite: Cynocephaly

Benefit: When you make a Diplomacy or Heal check to influence a Natural Beast, you can roll the check twice an use either result.

Keen Hunter

Benefit: You gain a +3 feat bonus to Initiative and Perception checks.

Limber Rest

Benefit: When you spend a healing surge during a short rest you regain an additional 3 hit points.

Wild One's Grit
Spending most of their lives in the open air, cynocephaly learn to read the environment, turning even the slightest variation in rock walls and weather patterns to their advantage.

Wild One's Grit Cynocephaly Utility 2
Given how close you are to the natural world, its no wonder you can find ways to survive it.
Encounter
Free Action ♦ Personal 2
Trigger: You would make an Athletics check or an Endurance check
Effect: You make a nature check instead of the Athletics check or Endurance check

Burst of the Hunt
Prolific hunters, cynocephaly learn well to follow their prey, using the terrain and racing their way to cut off and catch up.

Burst of the Hunt Cynocephaly Utility 6
Your keen eye for where to go and how to advance on your prey extends to your allies when you will it.
Daily
Minor Action ♦ Close Burst 2
Target: Each ally in burst
Effect: You and each target gains a +3 power bonus to speed until the start of your next turn.

Mountain Climber
The other races have either wide valleys where they can raise fast mounts, but you've grown up in jagged mountain valleys and along raised peaks. In this time, you've learned how to dash up slopes to safety, even if your enemies would be faster on open ground.

Mountain Climber Utility Power 10
In a moment you're up a cliff, out of reach of your enemies.
Encounter
Free Action ♦ Personal
Effect: You gain a climb speed equal to your walking speed until the start of your next turn.

Arkanist
2021-07-16, 12:10 PM
I'm not the best judge of 4e homebrew balance, but I want to say I'm really glad to see 4e getting some homebrew love - it's a very underrated edition. I'm also glad to see one of my favorite Christian art motifs represented as well.

sandmote
2021-07-21, 01:59 PM
I'm not the best judge of 4e homebrew balance, but I want to say I'm really glad to see 4e getting some homebrew love - it's a very underrated edition. I like it, partially because it is flexible, but having that many options for powers is a mess for balance.

I'm also glad to see one of my favorite Christian art motifs represented as well. I... forgot that particular bit while converting this. It might make a nice paragon path for later.

Arkanist
2021-07-21, 03:22 PM
I like it, partially because it is flexible, but having that many options for powers is a mess for balance.

I... forgot that particular bit while converting this. It might make a nice paragon path for later.

True! I feel like with the dogfolk's racial powers (+Dex, +Wis, boosts to movement/mobility) that if I played one, I definitely would pick an Avenger to lean into that motif and their stat bonuses.