PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Rage Sorcerer gish stuff (and feat)

SniffaSpore
2021-07-09, 02:50 AM
Character creration: level 15°, probably gestalt if we don't find another player soon, all sources allowed (from the core to dragon magazines and beyond, Pathfinder too eventually).

I remember a feat that allow the character to exchange spell slot for bonuses to strenght and costitution while raging, but I don't remember the name fo the feat nor where it is. Anyone rembers it?

And I know, I know, of course I know that anger + spell is not the best pair, but I do like it while I don't like the wizard. I don't even like PC Rage Mage, but who likes it when you have the Rage Casting feat?

Giants, do you have any suggestion?

Gruftzwerg
2021-07-09, 03:03 AM
Have a look at my Raging Spider Sorcerer (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24996338&postcount=65http://)build for the Iron Chef competition.

It's a sorcerer gish with the Rage Mage prc (combines Rage with casting!). It should cover most things you are looking for. It has a very good action economy and other stuff. Adjust the build as you like (e.g. Spell/Feat selection).

_

And sorry, but I don't know the feat you are looking for.

Anthrowhale
2021-07-09, 06:30 AM
I don't know a good way to pull off angry spellcaster other than with a bit of rage mage. If you are going gestalt, then you can remove the primary drawback of a rage mage (half advancement) by advancing rage mage on the barbarian side.

Perhaps something like:

Duskblade 4/Barbarian 1/Rage Mage 1/Duskblade 9//Sorcerer 6/<any full spellcaster 9>

Duskblade 2 gives combat casting while Duskblade 13 gives full attack arcane channeling.

Rage Mage 1 allows you to cast while raging.

The other full casting prestige classes depend on what you want. For something powerful, Incantatrix 3 and Hathran 5 or Halruaan Elder 5 would work. For something more skill oriented, Ruathar x/Unseen Seer 9-x is good using Martial Stance(assassin's stance) for sneak attack access. For something more gish-like, Abjurant Champion remains good although less so in a gestalt setting.

ShurikVch
2021-07-09, 02:55 PM
Dragon #310 have the Rage Casting feat - it allow to cast quickened (or similar casting time) spells and use spell trigger/completion/command word items while in Rage (or Frenzy)
White Dragon Lineage feat (Dragon Magic): sacrifice arcane spell slot to gain temporal hp and cold resistance = spell's level x5
Bands of Blood Rage (Magic Item Compendium): Blood Rage 3/day (+5 melee damage, or - if you're a sorcerer or of dragonblood subtype - +5 morale on damage with arcane spells; also, you suffer 5 damage each round of Blood Rage)

SniffaSpore
2021-07-09, 03:23 PM
Thank you for all the answers!

Bands of Blood Rage are amazing!

I really really REALLY don't like Rage Mage, especially with sorcerer. I would probably go for Charge + Quicken spell with the Rage Casting Feat, to me is just a fine trade - basically the requirements are the same for the Rage Mage, but I don't lose any level in spellcasting.

No one remebers the name of the feat I mention above? I still don't find it on google. It is something like Arcane Strike, but improves Strenght and Consitution bonus while raging by a number equal to the spell level sacrificed. It will be perfect I think.

Anthrowhale
2021-07-09, 03:50 PM
Not that in the gestalt build, you can avoid losing a level of casting with Rage Mage.

SniffaSpore
2021-07-09, 04:18 PM
Not that in the gestalt build, you can avoid losing a level of casting with Rage Mage.

True, but if we ended up with the gestal, I'll rather go for the Frenzied Berserker or maybe full Streetfighter barbarian for the 19° Cleaving Charge, on the high BAB high HD side.

ShurikVch
2021-07-09, 04:28 PM
I really really REALLY don't like Rage Mage, especially with sorcerer.
Note: if you don't aiming for high-level spells, then try to check the 3.0 version of Rage Mage
This version of PrC have its own casting - up to 4th level, but includes some nice spells (like Dimension Door, Polymorph, Summon Monster IV, and Wall of Ice)
But the main point is the Spell Retention: at 10th level, when you cast spells during the Spell Rage, your daily spell slots aren't spent on it - you can cast as many times as you like (action economy aside)

About the White Dragon Lineage - feat text says:

As a swift action, you can spend an arcane spell slot to enter a state similar to that of a barbarian's rage. You gain temporary hit points and resistance to cold equal to 5 x the spell's level. Unlike rage, this state doesn't restrict you from casting spells or performing any other actions, though you can't activate the ability again while it is already active. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Charisma bonus.
You may try to claim: since it says "similar to that of a barbarian's rage" - you should get your usual +Str/Con/Will save; temporal hp and cold resistance are additional benefits - not the only ones

Maat Mons
2021-07-09, 04:47 PM
I'm not aware of a feat like the one you describe. The only feats I know of that can alter the ability score bonuses given by Rage are Chaos Rage, Frantic Rage, Khyber's Fury, Reckless Rage, and an epic feat.

If you can get the source allowed, Dungeon magazine 126 has an item called Torque of Lucid Raging (on page 95). It can single-handedly make rage-caster a viable character concept. It fully lifts all restrictions normally placed by Rage, including those on spellcasting. It costs 9,000 gp, and if you're using a Cleric or Archivist base, you can craft one yourself.

If you don't wind up doing a gestalt game, I've always thought the Rage Cleric class variant (Dragon 333, p86) looked like it would be fun to try. Full Barbarian Rage progression, and full Cleric spellcasting progression (but no domains). I'd combine it with the Militia regional feat (Player's Guide to Faerun, p41) for full martial weapon proficiency and the Torque of Lucid Raging I mentioned earlier. Full-progression rage caster in a can. If I ever play one, she will be a human Cleric of Sif (Deities and Demigods, p187). Thor would just be too obvious.

If you do wind up doing a gestalt game, I've also always thought the Streetfighter ACF for Barbarian would be fun to try. You could combine it with Druidic Avenger (Unearthed Arcana, p51) for lots of speed. Alternately, if playing a slightly monstrous race is fine, you could use Fangshields Barbarian substitution levels (Champions of Valor, p40) as your source of extra speed. That would free up your casting class to be whatever. If I ever play one, she will be a Faun (Deities and Demigods, p133) Barbarian // Archivist. I'm in love with the idea of this bookish little doe-eyed innocent who occasionally completely loses her mind and goes on a froth-mouthed rampage with a battleaxe. Maybe I watch too much anime.

Thurbane
2021-07-09, 08:15 PM
I remember a feat that allow the character to exchange spell slot for bonuses to strenght and costitution while raging, but I don't remember the name fo the feat nor where it is. Anyone rembers it?

I don't know of any such feat in 3E, but possibly a magic item? I looked at the Instruments of the Blood Gift set in MIC, but doesn't appear to be any of them.

I also checked the Flesh Ring of Scorn in the MIC, not that one either.

SniffaSpore
2021-07-09, 10:59 PM
I don't know of any such feat in 3E, but possibly a magic item? I looked at the Instruments of the Blood Gift set in MIC, but doesn't appear to be any of them.

I also checked the Flesh Ring of Scorn in the MIC, not that one either.

I'm pretty sure it is not an item. Maybe it is not a feat, I don't know, I remember it as a feat.

ThanatosZero
2021-07-10, 08:22 AM
Note: if you don't aiming for high-level spells, then try to check the 3.0 version of Rage Mage
This version of PrC have its own casting - up to 4th level, but includes some nice spells (like Dimension Door, Polymorph, Summon Monster IV, and Wall of Ice)
But the main point is the Spell Retention: at 10th level, when you cast spells during the Spell Rage, your daily spell slots aren't spent on it - you can cast as many times as you like (action economy aside)

Which 3.0e book does contain that first version of the Rage Mage?
I know that the Bladesinger had a 3.0e version with it's own spellcasting as well.

ShurikVch
2021-07-10, 09:58 AM
Which 3.0e book does contain that first version of the Rage Mage?
Dragon magazine #277 (November 2000)